• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I'd just like to point out that in a recent version it seems like the way the buffer is handled has changed. The number can now go much lower than before for the "same" effect. I put same in quotes because I'm not sure if it's exactly the same but the number can definitely go much lower than before without causing choppiness.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Thanks for the answers, but my question was more "is there a way to convert pad buffer into frame delay?". Because frame delay is much more meaningful to me.

And Knitephox: if you can get 3-4 frames with euros in dolphin, why can't we get that in pj as well =(

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Sangoku: That's the advantage of Dolphin's (overall mediocre) netplay setup. Because there's no server, and a person hosts, in 1 vs 1, it cuts latency almost in half when playing someone long distance, vs them having to do round trip latency to a server.

Paran0id_Andr0id: Mac players should be able to play with Windows and Linux players. Setup should be exactly the same, except where you put the memory card file will mirror linux setup rather than windows.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the answers, but my question was more "is there a way to convert pad buffer into frame delay?". Because frame delay is much more meaningful to me.

And Knitephox: if you can get 3-4 frames with euros in dolphin, why can't we get that in pj as well =(
Honestly, the pad buffer is a mysterious thing that I don't understand myself. From what I've heard and experienced, having a pad buffer of 4 is akin to frame lag of one frame.

Has anyone with a mac setup had successful netplay? If so, can you shoot me a PM?
Thanks!
I think I remember someone using a Mac. It also apparently syncs with 64-bit Windows no problem. I'll let you know if I find out who it was.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Padbuffer is frame-delay on some level; unfortunately, sending GC input isn't as simple as sending one input per frame (at least from what I'm seeing.) Melee (seems) to accept input more than once per frame, 2, 3, maybe 4 times. That's why, a pad buffer of 4 would feel "around" 1 frame. If I'm wrong about that, then, it could just be that dolphin accepts input more than once per frame, but, I seriously doubt it would do that if the game wasn't polling for more input.

Paran0id_Andr0id

Smash Cadet
Paran0id_Andr0id: Mac players should be able to play with Windows and Linux players. Setup should be exactly the same, except where you put the memory card file will mirror linux setup rather than windows.
Sorry for the silly question, but where SHOULD I put the memory card file, then? I thought I followed the original post correctly, but maybe I fudged up.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
You can actually put it anywhere if you want; you just have to use the button next to where you set the memory card being plugged in, and selecting the memory card in question (And that's only if it doesn't auto-detect it) In Mac OSX, I believe you have to put it wherever the other files (INIs, screenshots, etc.) are located. Unfortunately, I don't have any Mac, so you might just have to find the folder yourself.

Paran0id_Andr0id

Smash Cadet
Alright, thanks! I've been having trouble getting melee to even run on dolphin all day, even though I've done it before. I was thinking it was perhaps because of some tinkering in the settings, but I might just have a shoddy copy of the game.

Massive

Smash Champion
The pad buffer is actually an array of controller states and their corresponding frames.
The number you put in for the buffer value is the number of frames waited before the buffer is sent over.

The pad buffer effects your framerate because dolphin netplay throttles your framerate using acks from the TCP packets you're sending. The lower your latency, the higher the framerate will be at low buffer values.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Just received the raphnet adapter and the gamecube port is broken. If I shake it I can hear a small piece flying freely. How to waste 40$...

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
The first comment says that the L/R triggers don't work as analog inputs. Is this true?

Upke

Smash Journeyman
If that's directed at the Mayflash one, that is false. I have working analog inputs. My guess is they ****ed something up in the installation because yolo.

p1ns

Smash Cadet
L/R works well, maybe you have to push a bit more than in console to make the light shield appear.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Just received the raphnet adapter and the gamecube port is broken. If I shake it I can hear a small piece flying freely. How to waste 40$...
Email raph about the problem. He's pretty good about customer service, and he'll probably send you a new one free of charge if you explain your problem.

raph@raphnet.net

I have the raphnet n64/gc adapter and it's fantastic. I had a problem on the first shipment(dashing problems), got an easy email assessment over it and shipped a new one free.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yeah, but he'll probably ask for me to return the current one and I don't know if I want to mail it. It's such a pain in the ass and it will again cost money and time.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
L/R works well, maybe you have to push a bit more than in console to make the light shield appear.
There's a fix for that - someone posted it in the old thread. I'm not sure what the analogs used for mayflash are but for my adapter I set my settings as follows:

L-Analog: !Axis Zr-^Axis Zr+
R-Analog: !Slider 0-^Slider 0+

Right click the button to access advanced configuration menu.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
I'm ordering a mayflash because I'm cheap. After I get it, set it up, and all that other stuff, I'll add a tutorial for setting it up with dolphin properly. Also, I'll probably order a raphnet at some point as well if it's significantly different.

p1ns

Smash Cadet
There's a fix for that - someone posted it in the old thread. I'm not sure what the analogs used for mayflash are but for my adapter I set my settings as follows:

L-Analog: !Axis Zr-^Axis Zr+
R-Analog: !Slider 0-^Slider 0+

Right click the button to access advanced configuration menu.
AxisZr or Slider do not appear anywhere in GC pad config. Maybe it's only for your adapter.

JMC I have the config file for dolphin for the mayflash, I can upload if you want.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
AxisZr or Slider do not appear anywhere in GC pad config. Maybe it's only for your adapter.

JMC I have the config file for dolphin for the mayflash, I can upload if you want.
Well you have to use whatever analog inputs are being used for your adapter. You should be able to see these in your windows gamepad configuration screen when you press the relevant buttons. I made my own adapter so it's likely not the same as any of the commercial ones.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Since JMC was wrong about Brawl being faster than Melee (at least on my comp, a C2Q Q6600 + ATI Radeon HD 5670), I decided to poke around with the cheat searcher. My goal was to create a Melee-style 30FPS code... and after a lot of patience, I did it!

Code:
SSBB - Force Lightning Melee (NTSC-U v1.00) [Fishaman P]
04708d20 3f99999a
Enter it as an Action Replay code (NOT Gecko), and voila! It goes at Lightning Melee speed!

Now, will someone please find out the granularity of the values? A precise 2x speed (and possibly even 4x speed) value would be nice, and I will credit you.

Code:
Speed values
These values make up the right side of the AR code

(Special Brawl) Slow: 0x3f000000
Normal: 0x3f800000
(Special Brawl) Fast: 0x3f99999a

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Huh, brawl runs better for me, I've played it online (successfully) only once, but ran into less slowdown issues on several stages compared to Melee. Maybe it's just a quirk with my old setup. Anyway, that's pretty awesome that you were able to dig it up yourself, hopefully someone will be able to make a set of cheats that can be added into dolphin's database

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
LOL, I'm so stupid. They're just regular floating-point values.
Special Brawl's Slow mode is 0.5x, normal brawls are 1x, and Lightning Melee is 1.2x.
Brawl is now much more enjoyable for netplay; now we just need PM's input lag fix.
Incoming code spam!
Code:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl NTSC-U v1.00 speed codes
All created by Fishaman P

5FPS Mode
04708d20 41400000

10FPS Mode
04708d20 40c00000

15FPS Mode
04708d20 40800000

20FPS Mode
04708d20 40400000

30FPS Mode
04708d20 40000000

40FPS Mode
04708d20 3fc00000

45FPS Mode
04708d20 3faaaaaa

50FPS Mode (Lightning Melee)
04708d20 3f99999a

And for those with extravagant rigs, 120FPS mode is simply Slow-Mo Melee:
120FPS Mode (Slow-Mo Melee)
04708d20 3f000000
JMC, I would be glad if you could add notable ones like 30FPS to the OP.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Very nice work, I might add an extra section to the front post all about Brawl. I'll think about how I'll have to organize it, what information it needs, and put the codes there to help

Sangoku

Smash Master
Does anyone own a raphnet adapter? I have a problem with the c-stick. I can't get it to work properly. Even if I calibrate in windows, I can't get the axis to get recognized correctly. For example, if I press up or left, it's fine, but if I press down it goes down right and if I press right nothing happens. Or other bull**** of that kind.

Also, how to have L/R as analog?

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone own a raphnet adapter? I have a problem with the c-stick. I can't get it to work properly. Even if I calibrate in windows, I can't get the axis to get recognized correctly. For example, if I press up or left, it's fine, but if I press down it goes down right and if I press right nothing happens. Or other bull**** of that kind.

Also, how to have L/R as analog?
My Raphnet adapter is the N64/GC combo kind. It hasn't given me any issues with the C-stick. It sounds like you either calibrated wrong in Windows or set the bindings wrong in Dolphin.

Analog L/R was harder in previous versions of Dolphin, but now it's easy. When it asks you to press the input, just light shield.
For my combo adapter, analog L is axis Zr-, digital L is button 5, analog R is Axis 0-, and digital R is button 6.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Also make sure you download updated drivers! The mayflash works with rumble and L/R analog with the latest drivers for me, but lacked rumble on the basic drivers it came with.

Sangoku

Smash Master
My Raphnet adapter is the N64/GC combo kind. It hasn't given me any issues with the C-stick. It sounds like you either calibrated wrong in Windows or set the bindings wrong in Dolphin.

Analog L/R was harder in previous versions of Dolphin, but now it's easy. When it asks you to press the input, just light shield.
For my combo adapter, analog L is axis Zr-, digital L is button 5, analog R is Axis 0-, and digital R is button 6.
This is the one I've got too. Maybe I calibrated it wrong, but the info is really misleading. There too many axis: X/Y (main joystick, ok), cursor (wtf is that), rotation X, rotation Y and rotation Z. Which one of those should be the C-stick? I tried rotation X/Y, but that doesn't work. I also tried rotation Y/Z and Cursor/rotation X. None worked.

edit: Now the c-stick works but L/R are being pushed randomly...

edit2: Now the c-stick works but L/R are not analog. They are only recognized as button 5/6.

Luo_Zhao

Smash Rookie
This is the one I've got too. Maybe I calibrated it wrong, but the info is really misleading. There too many axis: X/Y (main joystick, ok), cursor (wtf is that), rotation X, rotation Y and rotation Z. Which one of those should be the C-stick? I tried rotation X/Y, but that doesn't work. I also tried rotation Y/Z and Cursor/rotation X. None worked.

edit: Now the c-stick works but L/R are being pushed randomly...

edit2: Now the c-stick works but L/R are not analog. They are only recognized as button 5/6.
Just follow the instructions... they're pretty clear. http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/gc_n64_usb_manual/index_en.php

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Also make sure you download updated drivers! The mayflash works with rumble and L/R analog with the latest drivers for me, but lacked rumble on the basic drivers it came with.
For future reference, Raphnet adapters don't have nor require drivers. I guess that's a point for Mayflash for not being laggy on Windows, but a point back for not working on other operating systems...

Top Bottom