• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Dumb questions, but where is the pad buffer option? Also, my ISO is 1.0 (which means the disc I ripped it from is 1.0, which is kinda cool). Does this need to be 1.2?

EDIT: Figured out both, never mind

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
I would like to join this smash skype group to see how it plays on my lappy... Skype: Zelazon1

dkuo

Smash Lord
can someone add 'dkuotw'

i tried adding myself earlier but for some reason it hasnt updated with messages or anything since then

p1ns

Smash Cadet
Today Pokémon stadium always crashed when the characters appear, it have never happened before. I suppose it's something related to different memory cards.

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
If you list your CPU and GPU, I can give an immediate rough estimate.

I've tried it on single core and my laptop struggles to keep up with 40-50 frames throughout the match, so I think I'm going to wait until I get a better computer or the emulator becomes more optimized for laptops.

It was fun tho.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
I've tried it on single core and my laptop struggles to keep up with 40-50 frames throughout the match, so I think I'm going to wait until I get a better computer or the emulator becomes more optimized for laptops.

It was fun tho.
Have you considered using the 30FPS code?

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
I tried (because I can run it solidly with the code), but most players refused to play because they didn't like the choppiness of the game... They rather play with the slight lag then go at 30 frames, so there's not much I can do about that.

Cursed Yoma

Smash Journeyman
well i dunno how to do that.. and i dunno what exactly i did , but it's working right now..

okay; i guess i do have to recenter everytime i plug the damn thing in i think
hm.. still not sure if it's the controller or what since i don't remember this problem when i played my cube a few weeks ago.. (and nothing has been touched since)

alienjiz420

Smash Rookie
Hey guys could someone add me to the skype group? I'm ripping my 1.02 disc right now and have dolphin already setup. Skype name= jeff.teitelbaum1

Jontxu91

Smash Rookie
Anyone can help me with this? I was playing melee and brawl with a friend perfectly a few days ago, today it suddenly decided to stop working, we can play for a minute and then the emulator freezes, it doesn't crash or anything it just freezes, I can stop the game and try again, but it keeps happening. We haven't changed any settings and are using everything that's listed on the OP.

Is it normal for dolphin to just decide to stop working on its own? We already tried to play with memory cards and re-downloaded fresh ones, it happens anyways.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Anyone can help me with this? I was playing melee and brawl with a friend perfectly a few days ago, today it suddenly decided to stop working, we can play for a minute and then the emulator freezes, it doesn't crash or anything it just freezes, I can stop the game and try again, but it keeps happening. We haven't changed any settings and are using everything that's listed on the OP.

Is it normal for dolphin to just decide to stop working on its own? We already tried to play with memory cards and re-downloaded fresh ones, it happens anyways.
It sounds like an internet connection issue. In Netplay, Dolphin freezes the game until the needed input packets have arrived. If something happened to the packet, like being dropped from a busy connection, Dolphin will never get the packet, and it'll freeze indefinitely.

However, I could only really see this issue happening if one of the players has satellite internet, or if they're torrenting ALL the things.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
What Fish said sounds spot on to me. I've had it freeze many times, but only during times of bad internet connection, so dropping a packet is very likely.

For the minute before it freezes, what buffer were you guys on and was it a constant 60 fps?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Which GC->USB adapter do you guys recommend?

I've seen some but they don't support C-Stick and/or analog triggers.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Which GC->USB adapter do you guys recommend?

I've seen some but they don't support C-Stick and/or analog triggers.
I actually was going to ask this XD but anyways i was going to get raphnet, but it seems too expensive. But If i bought mayflash, i could have 2 players PLUS its cheaper

tell me if this is a good or bad idea

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
A lot of people advocate for the Raphnet, but I've had the Mayflash for a couple months now with no problems whatsoever.

But does it use the C-Stick/Analog triggers? That's honestly my only concern with it, but I'm not sure because I don't have one.

Jontxu91

Smash Rookie
It sounds like an internet connection issue. In Netplay, Dolphin freezes the game until the needed input packets have arrived. If something happened to the packet, like being dropped from a busy connection, Dolphin will never get the packet, and it'll freeze indefinitely.

However, I could only really see this issue happening if one of the players has satellite internet, or if they're torrenting ALL the things.
I fixed it, apparently FRAPS ****s up dolphin netplay, so I had to close it. Or maybe it was xpadder, either way once I realized i had those opened (only thing different I was doing from before) I closed them and dolphin stopped freezing.

So um, don't use fraps or xpadder when playing netplay, apparently.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
But does it use the C-Stick/Analog triggers? That's honestly my only concern with it, but I'm not sure because I don't have one.
I use a Raphnet N64/GC combo adapter, and it supports the C-Stick, analog L/R, and rumble with no issues. However, the 1-2 frames of input lag are annoying, and the lag is a lot worse if Windows Aero is enabled. For the purposes of lag, Windows 8 always has Aero enabled; avoid it like the plague.

I've also heard good things about Mayflash adapters; however, I assume the input lag issue is still present, and I vaguely recall v1 Mayflash adapters having issues with either Rumble or analog L/R. A page or two back in the thread, people mentioned how to tell the revisions apart.

The only controller that I know doesn't have input lag on Windows is the wired XBox 360 controller. They work surprisingly well; they'd be my favorite if the control sticks had the guides for the common directions like Left, Up, etc.

Cursed Yoma

Smash Journeyman
ugh.. for some reason skype hates me.. it never wants to work right.. i log in but then it won't load any messages since i left, and it won't let me send any messages.. i click send and it just keeps trying to send..
nothing else is messing up, not doing anything i'm not normally doing.. is it messing up for anyone else?

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
I bought a new computer (i7-3770 3,4GHz, 8Gb ram, Geforce GTX 660, Win 8 64x), and tried to play melee on dolphin with it, but it doesn't work smoothly enough. It says 60fps, but has many slowdowns in important moments (example in between comboes), that makes it unplayable. I first run it with the settings in the first post, and since it didn't work with those, I tried many different settings with hacks etc.. They could not get the slowdowns away. Does melee just require more powerfull machine, or is this fixable? Thanks in advance if you dear to help :)

Upke

Smash Journeyman
What stage(s) are you playing on? Even with a good computer and the right settings, FoD can be a bother. If it's any other neutral stage, you shouldn't be having that problem.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
On Final Destination.
Maybe you need to fill the shader cache. The first time a special effect is displayed, Dolphin keeps track of it on the hard drive.
Running Dolphin from an SSD or simply viewing all the special effects beforehand fixes the shader cache issue.

GreatFalco

Smash Apprentice
So I wonder if I could be able to play some melee online on my laptop. Processor is i5-3230 and graphic card is Radeon 7700.
Where is the 30 fps code?

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Also, do most people use 34 bit or 64 bit?
Most people use 64-bit, and those who don't usually have pitiful, unplayable processors like Pentium 4's.

30FPS:
Code:
04432A2C 0005265C
Make sure to leave a blank line after it.
However, you should be fine without it unless you're playing on FoD.

Top Bottom