• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does rolling kill the fun?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
How? Battle field would at least add more variety and FD isn't that balance because it promotes a very linear fighting style. I don't see how it would cause problems at all unless you use characters who benefit on FD and don't want to change that
I'm not seeing any problems with Battlefield in For Glory
Now a win depends on getting lucky with the stage. They're not going to implement some arbitrary counterpick system either.

I think what everyone is wondering is how specifically can you punish rolls like pros enough that they aren't viable to spam. They obviously arent done in top tournaments, but no one can give a straight answer on how to punish them.
SH Nairs, Fox's lasers, Sheik's needles, Palutena's Auto Reticule, Megaman's pellets, any projectile with decent range and some timing, baiting them to attack, etc. Some characters do need to be more careful in handeling roll spam, but not unreasonably so.

Quillion

Smash Hero
lol sp os this just a complain about roll and not do anything to competitivly counter it? Be cause if not this thread has been answerd already with mixed opinions. some like it some don't and any form of debate is just being dismissed by the opposite party. This thread pourpose is starting to look like an elusive hate thread.
It's not about that. The problem is that the roll is TOO HARD TO COUNTER. It either needs to be nerfed or everyone needs better options to punish them.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
lol sp os this just a complain about roll and not do anything to competitivly counter it? Be cause if not this thread has been answerd already with mixed opinions. some like it some don't and any form of debate is just being dismissed by the opposite party. This thread pourpose is starting to look like an elusive hate thread.
Now a win depends on getting lucky with the stage. They're not going to implement some arbitrary counterpick system either.

SH Nairs, Fox's lasers, Sheik's needles, Palutena's Auto Reticule, Megaman's pellets, any projectile with decent range and some timing, baiting them to attack, etc. Some characters do need to be more careful in handeling roll spam, but not unreasonably so.
you forgot to mention any move with a long hit box like ganon's down b but i guess most nairs have long hit boxes too.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
It's not about that. The problem is that the roll is TOO HARD TO COUNTER. It either needs to be nerfed or everyone needs better options to punish them.
but from the contents of this thread just as many people here are able to punish it as others are not. so if im missing somthing.... please alert me to why these obvious not pro's are punishing them no problem and the others are not because i only got one answer in my head.

sorry d post my bad

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187

How does that change the fact that not every character is good on FD anyway? That doesn't make any sense at all to think that BF would make it anymore unfair

Quillion

Smash Hero
but from the contents of this thread just as many people here are able to punish it as others are not. so if im missing somthing.... please alert me to why these obvious not pro's are punishing them no problem and the others are not because i only got one answer in my head.
Because it's annoying that you have to work to punish them. Constantly having to get our rushes disrupted by an easily spammed move is one of the worst things.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
How does that change the fact that not every character is good on FD anyway? That doesn't make any sense at all to think that BF would make it anymore unfair
what characters suck on fd? because sp far everyone seem pretty decent on it. in smash 4 im not seeing any rediculous gap like melee or brawl.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
They're not that hard to counter. There's two spots a roll spammer will end up. A roll away, or a roll closer. Pick a spot and Nair. You'll get them 50% of the time, and they'll be too far away to punish unless your Nair has crazy lag. You'll get them eventually.

Factually, more characters are hurt by BF then helped.

Quillion

Smash Hero
what characters suck on fd? because sp far everyone seem pretty decent on it. in smash 4 im not seeing any rediculous gap like melee or brawl.
Pretty much everyone without projectiles. It's no different from what it always has been.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Because it's annoying that you have to work to punish them. Constantly having to get our rushes disrupted by an easily spammed move is one of
Pretty much everyone without projectiles. It's no different from what it always has been.
lol ganondorf wrecks projectile spam but he is a defensive punish character zero said him self but i know not every pro's opinion is perfect but im sure that means something. also your telling me that your upset since you have to work to be decent at something? im not trying to be rude but your opinon is becoming lesser to me with statments like these

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
lol ganondorf wrecks projectile spam but he is a defensive punish character zero said him self but i know not every pro's opinion is perfect but im sure that means something. also your telling me that your upset since you have to WORK to be decent at something? im not trying to be rude but your opinon is becoming lesser to me with statments like these

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
lol ganondorf wrecks projectile spam but he is a defensive punish character zero said him self but i know not every pro's opinion is perfect but im sure that means something. also your telling me that your upset since you have to work to be decent at something? im not trying to be rude but your opinon is becoming lesser to me with statments like these
Ganondorf does not wreck projectiles, they're his biggest weakness because he does have a move to punishing people for spamming them.!

Factually incorrect. Projectiles have been overall nerfed and running speed buffed, meaning characters get in less projectiles before they're attacked.
While projectiles have been nerfed a little they still control the pace of the battle on FD given it's a flat surface with limited options for approaching and unless your character has good ground speed you'll take damage trying to get close. Also I don't understand your distaste for BF in for glory, FD is too easy to take control of with fast characters or characters with decent keep away game because of the lack if platforms. You also say that most characters do worse on BF that's only because it takes away a huge advantage they would have due to the flat stage design

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
While projectiles have been nerfed a little they still control the pace of the battle on FD given it's a flat surface with limited options for approaching and unless your character has good ground speed you'll take damage trying to get close. Also I don't understand your distaste for BF in for glory, FD is too easy to take control of with fast characters or characters with decent keep away game because of the lack if platforms. You also say that most characters do worse on BF that's only because it takes away a huge advantage they would have due to the flat stage design
A little? Lolno, they've been nerfed hard across the board. Due to the extreme projectile nerf, BF nullifies the advantage of having most projectiles in the first place. Little Mac, Megaman, Falco, and others are outright unplayable on BF. Ganondorf still has a chance on FD. It's simply way too easy to get past projectiles on BF.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
A little? Lolno, they've been nerfed hard across the board. Due to the extreme projectile nerf, BF nullifies the advantage of having most projectiles in the first place. Little Mac, Megaman, Falco, and others are outright unplayable on BF. Ganondorf still has a chance on FD. It's simply way too easy to get past projectiles on BF.
First off Falco's laser are garbage no matter what stage he's on. Second, it seems that your main problem would be you couldn't spam projectiles, I guess mega man would be hurt but not as much as you claim he'd have to work just as hard as a character on FD has to work to fight against him. Little mac wouldn't be hurt he would be balanced on BF, he controls way too much of the stage on FD and you should know that. You complain about what battlefield would change but when you go to tournaments or even play with friends no one only plays FD because it's the most balanced it because it grants an advantage to your opponent and variety would help that a lot in for glory

Projectiles have been nerfed only a little because I don't remember a projectile in any of the past games to be to be really good

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Ganondorf does not wreck projectiles, they're his biggest weakness because he does have a move to punishing people for spamming them.!

lol walk and power shield is all g dorf has to do to beat projectile spam. also lets look at these so called projedtile hewvy characters that rule fd. Marth? ,little mac,CF,Fox?,sheik?,zeros suit, de3, ...yeah those are some projectile heavy characyers all right. sorry for all the spelling im typing on wiiu game pad lol.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
lol walk and power shield is all g dorf has to do to beat projectile spam. also lets look at these so called projedtile hewvy characters that rule fd. Marth? ,little mac,CF,Fox?,sheik?,zeros suit, de3, ...yeah those are some projectile heavy characyers all right. sorry for all the spelling im typing on wiiu game pad lol.
Then how's he supposed to deal with :4falco:'s blaster? It was the only good projectile in Brawl and the only change it has in SSB4 is landing lag.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Rolls are also way too fast to act out of. Literally every Little Mac I encounter online is able to roll at the speed of light and immediately do their side tilt, or jab, or down smash (among other moves.)

Of course there are ways to counter roll spamming, but that's not what the issue is. Rolling is too fast, has too many invincibility frames, and is way too safe. 75-80% of the For Glory matches I play online involve them rolling the whole match until I try to actually make a move, and then they just roll again and get their free immediate attack since there's no risk in rolling at all.

Rolling does kill the fun entirely. And no, posting about "lol just get gud" won't solve anything. It won't solve the fact that the roll dodge is way too good and completely ruins a good amount of the gameplay.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Then how's he supposed to deal with :4falco:'s blaster? It was the only good projectile in Brawl and the only change it has in SSB4 is landing lag.
walk and power shield don't run any g dorf main will tell you the same thing. one you get close enough to wiz kick they will probably react in a manner you can punish. hes alot like zangief in street fighter.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Rolls are also way too fast to act out of. Literally every Little Mac I encounter online is able to roll at the speed of light and immediately do their side tilt, or jab, or down smash (among other moves.)

Of course there are ways to counter roll spamming, but that's not what the issue is. Rolling is too fast, has too many invincibility frames, and is way too safe. 75-80% of the For Glory matches I play online involve them rolling the whole match until I try to actually make a move, and then they just roll again and get their free immediate attack since there's no risk in rolling at all.

Rolling does kill the fun entirely. And no, posting about "lol just get gud" won't solve anything. It won't solve the fact that the roll dodge is way too good and completely ruins a good amount of the gameplay.
EXACTLY. Defense controls the pace of the game instead of offense, meaning that the game is entirely bait-and-punish of rolls and air dodges.

It's barely any better than the camp-and-plank play of Brawl.

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Notice all but one of the characters you listed have really good ground speed, so I guess the wii u game pad hinders your ability to read also.

Also People tend to play a really nice keep away game with Ganonforf, so I'm not purely talking about those who just press B all the time , the key to using a projectile well is keeping yourself mobile

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
EXACTLY. Defense controls the pace of the game instead of offense, meaning that the game is entirely bait-and-punish of rolls and air dodges.

It's barely any better than the camp-and-plank play of Brawl.
I really find it hard to understand why people are so quick to defend the rolling in this game. It is so not fun having to jerk around trying to actually punish their super-free rolling, when one tiny frame-mistake means they get a free punish out of their lightning rolls.

Not. Fun.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

sorry everything you stated can be solved by practice dodge rolling aint that good when you undertand how to react to them there should be some topic about how to deal with them. people are just pissed that dodge roll is actually an option. like without having rolls thevway they are now just have every slow moving heavy cut from the game since they would be hit the hardest from the nerf.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
sorry everything you stated can be solved by practice dodge rolling aint that good when you undertand how to react to them there should be some topic about how to deal with them. people are just pissed that dodge roll is actually an option. like without having rolls thevway they are now just have every slow moving heavy cut from the game since they would be hit the hardest from the nerf.
False. I am not salty that roll-dodging is an option.
I am salty that roll-dodging is pretty much the one-and-only option for most people, and that it's so easy to abuse.

There really isn't a way to actually get around this. Different characters have different roll-dodge speeds, and the frame for punishing when they spam it is microscopic. And one missed attack to try and actually get the fight going means they get a free hit.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You ignored him entirely. The problem is that rolling is really irritating to deal with and dodging is what defines the pace of the match instead of attacking. It's not an offense-defense balance; it's wait for a lucky mistake then punish.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
First off Falco's laser are garbage no matter what stage he's on. Second, it seems that your main problem would be you couldn't spam projectiles, I guess mega man would be hurt but not as much as you claim he'd have to work just as hard as a character on FD has to work to fight against him. Little mac wouldn't be hurt he would be balanced on BF, he controls way too much of the stage on FD and you should know that. You complain about what battlefield would change but when you go to tournaments or even play with friends no one only plays FD because it's the most balanced it because it grants an advantage to your opponent and variety would help that a lot in for glory

Projectiles have been nerfed only a little because I don't remember a projectile in any of the past games to be to be really good
Lol, Mac instantly becomes garbage as soon as any non-FD stage is introduced. He's barely playable on FD, and you should know that by now. Falco obviously needs every advantage he can get. Megaman has very poor options for dealing with characters on platforms. Megs jumps, opponent shields any and all of his moves. From underneath, his options are all laggy and easily punishable. Megs is a zoner, not a spammer. He needs to be able to close the gap to be effective.

Tournaments haven't adopted FD only because of tradition. And casual play's widespread use of FD is what caused Omega stages to exist. Every casual player I know mostly plays FD.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
You ignored him entirely. The problem is that rolling is really irritating to deal with and dodging is what defines the pace of the match instead of attacking. It's not an offense-defense balance; it's wait for a lucky mistake then punish.
Exactly.

I'm actually getting a bit tired of the people who come here just to try and raise themselves on a pedestal, "oh, well rolling is soooooo easy to punish, just get good."

This thread isn't for the purpose of trying to force your so-called "perfect" methods of somehow punishing rolls upon us. I couldn't care less if they were 100% punishable, because in their current state, they make matches 95% not fun.

Aaaaaand just like I said, please can you not come here just to try and act superior? I could not care less if you have "proof" that rolling is punishable. The thread is for the purpose of discussing if rolling ruins the fun.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Exactly.

I'm actually getting a bit tired of the people who come here just to try and raise themselves on a pedestal, "oh, well rolling is soooooo easy to punish, just get good."

This thread isn't for the purpose of trying to force your so-called "perfect" methods of somehow punishing rolls upon us. I couldn't care less if they were 100% punishable, because in their current state, they make matches 95% not fun.

Aaaaaand just like I said, please can you not come here just to try and act superior? I could not care less if you have "proof" that rolling is punishable. The thread is for the purpose of discussing if rolling ruins the fun.
And that gose back to my opening statement that this is just a hate thread with no purpose. if this is thread where everyone was just expected to ***** and complain i feel like we are no different than game faq's.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
And that gose back to my opening statement that this is just a hate thread with no purpose. if this is thread where everyone was just expected to ***** and complain i feel like we are no different than game faq's.
Discussing how rolling ruins the fun is a purpose, believe it or not.
If you think rolling is alright and since you think you're so good at punishing them, I don't know why you're here.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Exactly.

It's fun punishing moronic roll spammers, didn't you know? It's not free, and it's not something a decent player will let by. Every roll spammer I've encountered has simply rage-quit since I've proven to them it's not viable in the slightest. No amount of roll-spam is impossible to deal with, and the more they do it, the worse off they are. There's games with spam that's actually hard to deal with. Like MK's planking. This is 1000x easier in comparison. You're complaining about a problem that doesn't exist.

Discussing how rolling ruins the fun is a purpose, believe it or not.
If you think rolling is alright and since you think you're so good at punishing them, I don't know why you're here.
To prove you wrong.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
It's fun punishing moronic roll spammers, didn't you know? It's not free, and it's not something a decent player will let by. Every roll spammer I've encountered has simply rage-quit since I've proven to them it's not viable in the slightest. No amount of roll-spam is impossible to deal with, and the more they do it, the worse off they are. There's games with spam that's actually hard to deal with. Like MK's planking. This is 1000x easier in comparison. You're complaining about a problem that doesn't exist.

To prove you wrong.
I'd appreciate less of this, please. Not everyone is a god-like frame-perfect player.
And no, not everyone thinks it's fun trying to punish constant rolling the whole match either.

Also yes, there is a problem and as stated countless times in this topic, it exists a lot of places. So just because you dismiss it doesn't mean you are suddenly the shining light of truth.

And there isn't any "proving wrong" or "proving right" because most of this is opinion based.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'd appreciate less of this, please. Not everyone is a god-like frame-perfect player.
And no, not everyone thinks it's fun trying to punish constant rolling the whole match either.

And there isn't any "proving wrong" or "proving right" because most of this is opinion based.
It's an out-and-out fact that punishing rolling is an easy thing to do. If you can't deal with one of the basic aspects of the game, why are you here? It doesn't require frame-perfection, you're completely overblowing how effective rolls are. You need to practice instead of just complaining, it won't change anything.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
It's an out-and-out fact that punishing rolling is an easy thing to do. If you can't deal with one of the basic aspects of the game, why are you here? It doesn't require frame-perfection, you're completely overblowing how effective rolls are. You need to practice instead of just complaining, it won't change anything.
Punishing rolling isn't easy for everyone. Just because you find it sooo easy doesn't mean everyone does.
No, I'm not overblowing the rolls. They are too good.
And have you forgotten that this thread is all about discussing that the roll ruins the fun? Nah, I guess you're too high up on your high horse to care, and instead just preferring to strike down anyone who actually has a different opinion/playstyle to yours.

I could understand if this thread was just a general thread about rolls, but the title specifically says "Does rolling kill the fun" and not "Discuss rolls and be superior over anyone who thinks they're too overpowered."

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
This. People seem to have forgotten about this.
I know right.

It's one thing to have an opinion like myself and others have, but for others to come in and actually start striking us down just because we have a certain opinion on rolls is ridiculous.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Punishing rolling isn't easy for everyone. Just because you find it sooo easy doesn't mean everyone does.
No, I'm not overblowing the rolls. They are too good.
And have you forgotten that this thread is all about discussing that the roll ruins the fun? Nah, I guess you're too high up on your high horse to care, and instead just preferring to strike down anyone who actually has a different opinion/playstyle to yours.
he bro it not my fault he also stated that they are too strong and super hard to deal with. i won't argue an opinonated statement like its killing the fun but if you going to bloody tell me that nobody in this thread has said rolling is to strong witch i am argueing than sue me. and yeah practice makes perfect. deal woth it i sucked at punishing too.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
he bro it not my fault he also stated that they are too strong and super hard to deal with. i argue an opinonated statement like its killing the fun but if you going to bloody tell me that nobody in this thread has said rolling is to strong witch i am argueing than sue me. and yeah practice makes perfect. deal woth it i sucked at punishing too.
...What? I'm sorry but I can't make sense of what you said.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Lol, Mac instantly becomes garbage as soon as any non-FD stage is introduced. He's barely playable on FD, and you should know that by now. Falco obviously needs every advantage he can get. Megaman has very poor options for dealing with characters on platforms. Megs jumps, opponent shields any and all of his moves. From underneath, his options are all laggy and easily punishable. Megs is a zoner, not a spammer. He needs to be able to close the gap to be effective.

Tournaments haven't adopted FD only because of tradition. And casual play's widespread use of FD is what caused Omega stages to exist. Every casual player I know mostly plays FD.
Yeah, you haven't fought a good little mac player at all have you? Again your only problems seem like you'd rather people adapt to your play style rather than adapting to theirs, take mario vs fox as an example, fox's odds of beating mario are high given his speed, strength and recovery, on FD mario can barely do anything against him, now take it to BF the odds are still in fox's favor but mario has a better chance because he can't be pressured as much and since you have to think vertically as well both players have different options.

Even if FD was the most balanced stage (which if definitely isn't) it's still too boring to play on, FD is a very linear stage. Me and my friends play on: dream land, fountain of dreams, BF, metal cavern, smashville, and FD all if those stages offer a different element that forces the player to adapt to it

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
...What? I'm sorry but I can't make sense of what you said.
i appologize im typing in a wiiu game pad but what im trying to say is im not arguing the oppinionative nature of the name of the thread what im arguing is the several post that say say rolling is to strong and such. witdh many MANY people in this thread claim. and like before i also stated that if killing the fun is the primary and only question its been answered by, not for me, yeah i don't like it, and its annoying but i have no problem with it, nothing productive is coming out of this thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom