• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Megaman really needs a secondary?

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Ive been maining Megaman since the game came out and Ive tried using other characters but always ended coming back to Megaman so I was wondering, does Megaman really needs a secondary? After seeing how he outdone himself I think Ill choose Pika as a secondary since I like his playstile and everything but I was wondering, what are Megaman's worst matchups? (I imagine C.Falcon) also is any of the new dlc characters a good sevondary for MM?

Greward

Smash Lord
Yes.

Mario, Mii Brawler, Yoshi (no good yoshis in america tho), Sheik (altho there's no one who beats her so whatever), good ZSS.

Falcon is doable. He has other bad matchups imo but they're doable like Fox or Pits.

He is very improved by customs ON though, so with customs on **** gets easier.

Eru Light

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aether
Yes.

Mario, Mii Brawler, Yoshi (no good yoshis in america tho), Sheik (altho there's no one who beats her so whatever), good ZSS.

Falcon is doable. He has other bad matchups imo but they're doable like Fox or Pits.

C. Falcon I wouldn't say is a bad MU. You can shut him down with pellets and SH Uairs if he tries to approach. You have the range advantage, so if you can just zone him out it wouldn't seem that bad.

OT: Yes, MM does need a secondary.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
C. Falcon I wouldn't say is a bad MU. You can shut him down with pellets and SH Uairs if he tries to approach. You have the range advantage, so if you can just zone him out it wouldn't seem that bad.

OT: Yes, MM does need a secondary.
Not if he powershields and then runs in during your endlag. Fast characters can easily punish pellets since mega man has to retreat after shooting.

Eru Light

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aether
Not if he powershields and then runs in during your endlag. Fast characters can easily punish pellets since mega man has to retreat after shooting.
Hmm. I guess I never notice because of how much I jump when I shoot. Usually advancing FH Fair (scrapping shield or missing on purpose) -> retreating Nairs usually help keep away. I thought that jumping took away the end lag when shooting pellets so if I'm wrong let me know. Maybe it's just because I do well against Anther's Ladder Falcons (and Yoshis if that's any consolation, since it's also a bad MU) and it leads me to believe that it's not so bad after all haha.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Hmm. I guess I never notice because of how much I jump when I shoot. Usually advancing FH Fair (scrapping shield or missing on purpose) -> retreating Nairs usually help keep away. I thought that jumping took away the end lag when shooting pellets so if I'm wrong let me know. Maybe it's just because I do well against Anther's Ladder Falcons (and Yoshis if that's any consolation, since it's also a bad MU) and it leads me to believe that it's not so bad after all haha.
While jumping after the pellets, you can't enter another attack for a couple of frames, allowing falcon to punish you on the landing.
Fair is fine for spacing, just don't get too carried away or people will catch on.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Mega does need a secondary. The top tiers played by good characters are very hard matchups (Sonic, Rosa, Sheik, ZSS, Yoshi)

Most of the other characters are reasonable matchups for MM though. I recently started picking up Sheik as a secondary just so I don't get mad when I lose to the high tiers because then I can't blame it on my character.

Captain Falcon is not a bad matchup for us, we shut him down hard with lemons and can edgeguard/gimp the crap out of him

Greward

Smash Lord
Hm maybe I spelled it wrong, but I meant that Falcon isn't that bad. It's not worse than 4-6 for sure even in customs OFF. I think he has the advantage but Mega can gimp him allright and it's easy to break his dash grab approach with pellets and dtilt. His bair spacing isn't very effective against a projectile heavy character either.

Mario is THAT bad if they know what they're doing.

Pikachu should be ok, she has arguably the best matchup against sheik in the game. I'm not sure how pika does against Mario but it should be better than Mega. The bad thing about picking a better character as second is that he'll probably become the main at some point just because he's better lol.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Yes.

Based on the matchup discussion thread, neither Yoshi nor ZSS are disadvantageous for us, and Mario isn't that bad. Mii Brawler is great against anyone who doesn't know the matchup, but it's not that bad when you know it.

I think it's too early to say if Mega Man will end up needing a secondary, but he's not widely considered top tier, so it probably can't hurt to pick one up.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Ok,so you ae telling me Megaman does bad against top tiers? What does that let us for the future.. Also I think after after you get stomp a lot of time in the Mario matchup, you can actually learnva playstyle to beat him, amd then spacimg him will be easy, it just takes time to practice also IDK why do you say sheik is so hard? She is a pacifist character (she has a bad time killing) and she isnt very good for combos amd her grabs are trash but perhaps I havent fought a good sheik

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Sheik combos is for days. Most of the quick characters give us trouble if we make one small error it can be a big combo for them.

Mario isn't super quick but he has great smashes and aerials which gives us trouble.

Yoshi is a very tough matchup he is super tough to gimp/kill cause he is so fast and has good aerial mobility and super armor on his jump.

Appledees

Smash Apprentice
Mario isn't super quick but he has great smashes and aerials which gives us trouble.
Excuse me?

Mario moves like a goddamn f22 in the air and its so annoying to catch him doing his nonsense doesn't help that his framedata is ridiculous, rarely any ending lag on his moves.

I'm probably one of the few that doesn't really think Yoshi beats Megaman that badly. At worst its like a 55:45 in Yoshi's favor without customs.

Greward

Smash Lord
Based on the matchup discussion thread, neither Yoshi nor ZSS are disadvantageous for us, and Mario isn't that bad. Mii Brawler is great against anyone who doesn't know the matchup, but it's not that bad when you know it.

I think it's too early to say if Mega Man will end up needing a secondary, but he's not widely considered top tier, so it probably can't hurt to pick one up.
Idc about the matchup thread really, my opinion is that those matchups are in the 35-65 border at least (worse than 4-6 is imo a matchup were a secondary is recommended). Since it's my opinion you can ignore it or accept it lol. I base my opinion on my own tournament experience, other Mega Man players results against those characters and a slight bit on theorycrafting but not much.

Mii Brawler is bad for the same reasons than Mario. Mario (and mii brawler, yoshi, zss) can get into our face very easily combining their great aerial speed + safe aerial moves. There's not really a way to play keepaway against those chars (which is Mega's most important selling point).
They have a superior frame data combined to way stronger punish game.
Sheik is just a stupid matchup. It's winnable as long as they are not Mr R level lol but at high level it's a lost cause. Danger Wrap does help a lot here (along with Beat and Plant Shield) so customs make it easier.

Mega's main strength is his strong neutral game if he can play keepaway. When you can mantain the neutral game and chip for damage in it, he's doing good. Slow characters like Ness or Peach can have problems against this for example. When you can't he's a bit lacking on the other departments.

There are balance patches so we can't really know if Mega becomes a top tier at some point in the game's life, but I don't think he's close to being a top tier atm. He's bottom high at best imo.

His good matchups (being evenish is a good matchup when you are mid tier) are probably Villager / Ness / Diddy / Luigi / Pikachu / Rosalina / Sonic from the high tiers imo.

About Yoshi matchup, America has a serious lack of good yoshis, but I'm pretty convinced it's a very bad one.

Mega does stop better the fast runners like Sonic and Falcon than the ones with high air speed.

Since this all feels a bit depressing, just as a reminder, if you want to play Mega because you like him then go ahead. Mega is pretty good, he may feel not as strong at super high level of play but if you are not planning on winning every tournament you attend it doesn't really matter lol.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I said Mario isn't SUPER quick which is true. He does have great frame data And good aerial mobility.

Def a tough character

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
I don't feel like he does if you can do very well with the character in the current state of this game. I can handle rush downs just fine, for being used to it, and that also includes ZSS, which I find Mega Man can answer her in many ways as he could against Fox or Falcon. In those matches I do know you cannot just pellet your way throughout the game to win. At some point it gets predictable and opponents will learn to power shield each individual pellet if you use it too much. You have to actually get in if you plan to win which understandably is hard for some players to do. Also mix up appropriately.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
In my honest opinion, no, I think this character is good enough as he is and can live without any backups. Imo Mega Man only truly loses to the following:
:4falcon::4pacman::4sheik::4fox:

These guys could potentially be bad matchups, but I'm not convinced just yet that he loses them: :rosalina::4greninja::4lucario::4olimar::4pit::4darkpit::4feroy::4sonic::4jigglypuff::4wario::4lucas:. :4tlink::4kirby: :4duckhunt::4dk: are also potential threats, but only with custom moves.

Even so, none of these guys are worse than 40:60 (except maybe Sheik) and these aren't really enough to force the need for a secondary. Granted, I personally have Greninja as a secondary and I play various pocket characters, but it's more to entertain myself than anything else, as I get bored just playing Mega Man all the time and like to mic it up. If I wanted though, I could simply just stick with him the whole ride and take the time to learn all these matchups, but I digress.

EDIT: :4pikachu: is NOT a secondary and I personally do not recommend him. I do think he does well against most of the characters I mentioned, but there's something else important to look for in a secondary instead of just matchup coverage: ease of use. Pikachu is a pretty damn complex character and it takes a lot of time to learn him. Mega Man himself is already a technically demanding character and it's already a long road to just learn him, and if you're gonna backup Pikachu its just gonna be an even longer road. His matchup coverage is good as is, but I think this character has too big a learning curve to be a secondary (not just for Mega Man, but anybody tbh). You might as well make Pikachu your main if you want to take him seriously. You could go with him if you want, but its gonna be a long one.

Last edited:

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
I'm surprised that so many people seem to think that Falcon is such a hard MU for Mega Man. I've played good Falcons and I really don't think Mega Man loses. Yes, Captain Falcon can get in eventually, as can other fast characters. Just because they can get in doesn't mean you lose automatically. You have D-tilt and sweet spot lemons and grab and shield and spot dodge and all sorts of other tools to keep people off. Once you get Falcon off stage, it's an easy gimp.

The same goes for other rush down characters that have been mentioned (Brawler, Mario, etc...) I can't comment as surely on those MUs as I can Falcon but you can't think purely in the long ranged game if you want to win. Mega Man has good enough tools for those who invade your bubble (his grab is so good seriously) that you can get them out and start keeping them out again...

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Ive been using Mario and he is so easy to use, I think he will be my secondary! Btw does he cover Megamans bad matchups?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I'm surprised that so many people seem to think that Falcon is such a hard MU for Mega Man. I've played good Falcons and I really don't think Mega Man loses. Yes, Captain Falcon can get in eventually, as can other fast characters. Just because they can get in doesn't mean you lose automatically. You have D-tilt and sweet spot lemons and grab and shield and spot dodge and all sorts of other tools to keep people off. Once you get Falcon off stage, it's an easy gimp.

The same goes for other rush down characters that have been mentioned (Brawler, Mario, etc...) I can't comment as surely on those MUs as I can Falcon but you can't think purely in the long ranged game if you want to win. Mega Man has good enough tools for those who invade your bubble (his grab is so good seriously) that you can get them out and start keeping them out again...
  • Dtilt isn't safe on block, and you're asking to get shieldgrabbed if you use it as a reversal.

• Sweetspot Lemons deal very little damage and are also unsafe if shielded, and Falcon is quick enough to punish its endlag even if you jump away

• Our Grab is good, yes, but so is Falcon's dash grab (arguably the best one in the entire game). Grabs can also still be spotdodged if read, and Falcon can probably do that and punish with his amazing jab or grab back.
We do gimp Falcon fairly well, but being able to get in is only part of why its a tough MU: Falcon's godlike dash grab opens up his Dthrow combos and he does a huge reward on hit, and if he guesses your recovery you too will be an easy gimp or just get killed outright. We make it difficult for him to approach with smart lemoning, but our damage output is fairly low in comparison to his and he's gonna end up racking up more % once he invades, and our above average weight only makes us even more vulnerable to his combos. Low risk, low reward, that is the way of Mega Man; but I think Falcon's high reward makes the MU swing towards his favor. Its not a hard counter and s by all means a doable matchup (would personally call it 40:60 at worst), but its generally excepted that Falcon triumps in this one.

:4greninja::4fox::4pit:/:4darkpit::4wario::4metaknight: :4jigglypuff::4sonic: are also potentially bad MUs for similar reasons: They have an easier time bypassing our lemons than other characters do with their manuverablity, and once they get in they can put some work on us with a better damage output and or kill moves. Not to say that these guys are negative, but they could be (although in the case of Greninja and Fox, I am personally leaning more towards their favor than Mega Man's, at least with customs off)

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think Mario would be a good secondary for us, he is a fairly straightforward character with standard moves.

I really like messing around as Mario.

Also since mega is so technical we don't need to spends half a year getting good with a secondary.

I feel like I am just now getting really good with megA

Last edited:

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
on the topic of charchters going in, spacing plays aa huge role in this. if you know your opp broke your spacing run and shield, bait an att, bait a grab

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I've recently been using Mario as a secondary and he's been very helpful. He's more simple in contrast to Mega Man's technical style and I can still perform well with Mario when I'm having an off-day.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Grabs can also still be spotdodged if read
Exactly. You just said yourself that you're getting wrecked by Falcon's grab game, which is true. Falcon has great combos out of his throws. However, since Falcon doesn't have many other approach options that are safe on shield, if he's running at you he'll most likely:
  • Dash Grab
  • Dance Trot
  • Run up and Shield
You have to be aware of his options and know your options to punish them. Spot dodging, as you said, is an effective way to avoid grabs. D-tilt isn't great once he's actually in, I'll admit, but it can be used to hit him out of a run (as long as you mix up).

I'm not saying you won't get grabbed but you can do stuff to make yourself not free to grab.

and if he guesses your recovery you too will be an easy gimp or just get killed outright.
Are you saving your jump before you up b? If so, you really shouldn't be getting gimped by Falcon. Falcon can kill you with his Aerials, yes, but you should be able to recover from pretty much anywhere otherwise...
Don't make your recovery predictable. Mega Man has really good Mixup for his recovery. You can try going diagonal below the ledge one time, directly below it another time, going low enough that rush won't get you back but your DJ will, you could go high, jump + air dodge back onto the stage to avoid any aerials, etcetcetc

In general, it sounds like your trouble here is that Falcon does a lot more damage than Mega Man. He does. A lot of characters do. Falcon however has the blessing (for us) of a weak recovery. Instead of focusing on getting CF to kill %, focus on getting him off stage and exploiting his weakness for everything it's worth. Mega Man has so many edge gaurding options that you can use that Falcon should rarely know what method you're going to use to gimp him.

Last edited:

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
btw I dont think the Mario Matchup is that bad​
What were you doing on the second stock? You went for double jump > falling back air about 7 times in a row and he blocked it every time. You then kept going for it throughout the rest of the game. You can't fish for kills like that, you're going to get punished. In general, your mixup was quite poor. You kept doing the same things without really trying something different. You have to adapt along with your opponent.
You had the right idea on stock one (lots of lemons and punish what he tries to get around them with) but you fell for a few Mario tricks like F-smash to Down Smash and crossup Up Smash. Try to remember those next time, I've fallen for them too.

(EDIT: I realized the tone of this may come across as rude. I promise I'm not trying to be, it's just the way I type)

Last edited:

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
What were you doing on the second stock? You went for double jump > falling back air about 7 times in a row and he blocked it every time. You then kept going for it throughout the rest of the game. You can't fish for kills like that, you're going to get punished. In general, your mixup was quite poor. You kept doing the same things without really trying something different. You have to adapt along with your opponent.
You had the right idea on stock one (lots of lemons and punish what he tries to get around them with) but you fell for a few Mario tricks like F-smash to Down Smash and crossup Up Smash. Try to remember those next time, I've fallen for them too.

(EDIT: I realized the tone of this may come across as rude. I promise I'm not trying to be, it's just the way I type)
Thanks for the feed, I know I go a lot for bair but I think against characters like Mario it is the best kill move we have, could you list me other options to show me Im mistaken?

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Thanks for the feed, I know I go a lot for bair but I think against characters like Mario it is the best kill move we have, could you list me other options to show me Im mistaken?
Well, you have BThrow. :seuss:

Edit : More seriously, :4megaman:'s kill options are always Gimps, FSmash, USmash, DSmash, UAir, BAir, & UTilt. The only problem is often to connect, which is always the hard part.
Leaf Shield sets up grabs, Z1gma Upper is always something to remember, NAir can actually put your opponnent offstage and the others often hit due to reads.
Instead to fish the kill, keep dealing damage no matter what(I managed to rack up 201% once and killed with a FThrow off the edge. It won't happen often, but it still counts.)

Last edited:

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Well, you have BThrow. :seuss:

Edit : More seriously, :4megaman:'s kill options are always Gimps, FSmash, USmash, DSmash, UAir, BAir, & UTilt. The only problem is often to connect, which is always the hard part.
Leaf Shield sets up grabs, Z1gma Upper is always something to remember, NAir can actually put your opponnent offstage and the others often hit due to reads.
Instead to fish the kill, keep dealing damage no matter what(I managed to rack up 201% once and killed with a FThrow off the edge. It won't happen often, but it still counts.)
Yeah youre telling me dsmash kills and thats true but I asking for realistic ways to kill (not trying to be rude) like safe kills, bair is super safe, diagonal mb to shoryuken sourspots at high percentages and of all that the only one I can think is safw is bthrow, thats why I mostly keep it fresh

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Yeah youre telling me dsmash kills and thats true but I asking for realistic ways to kill (not trying to be rude) like safe kills, bair is super safe, diagonal mb to shoryuken sourspots at high percentages and of all that the only one I can think is safw is bthrow, thats why I mostly keep it fresh
♢Beware : Since I often have trouble ending Stocks, this is mostly Theorycraft with a pinch of reality. Read at your own discretion.♢

Like i said, Nair actually has a good amout of knockback. It isn't strong enough to be called a kill move, but it sets up some interesting situations :
• If your opponent misses the tech, you can get a Jab lock
• You can go for Ftilt -> Ftilt -> Nair in order to setup edge guards.

Then there is FAir, which kills at higher %s only, but if you manage to hit with its weak hitbox, you can force your opponent into a jab lock.
That is why dealing damage is that important : it turns every move Mega Man has into potential kill moves.
Note that I didn't say anything about FSmash, UAir and DAir here : it's not that underestimate their power, but since the Cape is so strong, they just became so unsafe it defies logic.

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927
I believe that any character with at least one bad matchup needs a secondary and megaman is no exception, at least that's what i think so.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Bair is probably your best kill option but you need to get Mario into a situation where you can land it. Ideally, you should try to grab him or otherwise get him in the air to setup for an airdodge 50/50. Throwing him off stage works too.
Up smash can be used if he tries to land above you. You could try landing diagonal MB into Up-tilt to punish a fireball if you seem him going for those a lot...

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Exactly. You just said yourself that you're getting wrecked by Falcon's grab game, which is true. Falcon has great combos out of his throws. However, since Falcon doesn't have many other approach options that are safe on shield, if he's running at you he'll most likely:
  • Dash Grab
  • Dance Trot
  • Run up and Shield
You have to be aware of his options and know your options to punish them. Spot dodging, as you said, is an effective way to avoid grabs. D-tilt isn't great once he's actually in, I'll admit, but it can be used to hit him out of a run (as long as you mix up).

I'm not saying you won't get grabbed but you can do stuff to make yourself not free to grab.

Are you saving your jump before you up b? If so, you really shouldn't be getting gimped by Falcon. Falcon can kill you with his Aerials, yes, but you should be able to recover from pretty much anywhere otherwise...
Don't make your recovery predictable. Mega Man has really good Mixup for his recovery. You can try going diagonal below the ledge one time, directly below it another time, going low enough that rush won't get you back but your DJ will, you could go high, jump + air dodge back onto the stage to avoid any aerials, etcetcetc

In general, it sounds like your trouble here is that Falcon does a lot more damage than Mega Man. He does. A lot of characters do. Falcon however has the blessing (for us) of a weak recovery. Instead of focusing on getting CF to kill %, focus on getting him off stage and exploiting his weakness for everything it's worth. Mega Man has so many edge gaurding options that you can use that Falcon should rarely know what method you're going to use to gimp him.
While Falcon's recovery is generally lackluster, gimping him isn't as free as you make it out to be. Once again, Mega Man's damage output is nothing amazing and while we win the neutral game, we're not really going put more than 17% most of the time before he gets in and gains the advantage. With that in mind, you actually need to hit him like 4 times before he's killed from the gimp attempt unless he's already at a high percentage. You can leafstool if he tries to recover low, but he can always mix it up with sideb and recover high instead. You can try to ht him with hard knuckle, but its too difficult to hit him with due to its teleraphed startup. Meanwhile what I'm saying is, if Falcon correctly guesses the way you are recovering or reads your ledge options just once, you die. Not only does he have a better damage output than Mega Man, but that's complimented by powerful knockback so with a proper read you'll be killed outright.

And when approaching and invading Mega's personal space, Falcon can still do these:
  • Shorthop Uair
  • Shorthop Bair
  • Dash Attack
  • His Godlike Dash Grab
  • Shield Dash
Yeah these options can be countered with certain actions but it becomes a game of rock paper scissors, guess wrong and Falcon's gonna feed you a ton of damage once he finally starts it. And again, Falcon's damage output is 2 times better than yours and while you wn the neutral game, your advantaged game isn't big enough to make the matchup an easy one since you're going to deal too little damage and you'll have to hit him multiple times to even gimp him. This MU is doable, but its definitely Falcons favor. If we could deal as much damage as he can, it probably would be the other way around.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Duck more vs Falcon.

Little slower than spot dodge, less punishable (vs dash grab). High reward.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
If you duck vs Falcon, yeah you can avoid his dash grab (as well as shothop uair) but you can still get hit by shorthop bair and dash attack, the former of which is arguably a harder punish. Its on option, but can still be dealt with. Dash attack also beats out Top Spin, clanks with/beats metal blades, and trades/beats out slide too. It basically becomes a game of rock paper scissors.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
If you duck vs Falcon, yeah you can avoid his dash grab (as well as shothop uair) but you can still get hit by shorthop bair and dash attack, the former of which is arguably a harder punish. Its on option, but can still be dealt with. Dash attack also beats out Top Spin, clanks with/beats metal blades, and trades/beats out slide too. It basically becomes a game of rock paper scissors.
A game of rock paper scissors that nets you a utilt if you win. The risk/reward at his KO% is skewed out of his favor. (And you can react to a SH RAR approach to shield.) Do it consistently, and see what happens. If they have an answer (which will eventually be foxtrot>PP dtilt or something along those lines), then reevaluate. But, as of now, the falcons in my region fear the crouch.

You don't challenge dash attack because it's disjointed and any clash leaves him at a frame advantage with his faster jab.

Greward

Smash Lord
Duck more vs Falcon.

Little slower than spot dodge, less punishable (vs dash grab). High reward.
Ducking means being very passive on neutral game... if we read the dash grab we can utilt it when he comes in (mad timing tho) or after spotdodging, no real need to duck it.
Anyways good Falcon's go for the Bair most of the time in neutral game, if I'm not using projectiles they'll go for that instead of the completely unexpected dash grab.

Kel

Smash Master
I think it's pretty telling when all of the megaman players come together and agree that MM is not a high/ top tier and that his trouble match ups are essentially the entire top/ high tier cast that Megaman needs a secondary/ is not a good character.

Looking through this thread I see each person suggesting at one point or another that Megaman's tough match up is X character, or Y character. This indicates to me that each of our individual regions have had players that have advanced certain characters that other Megaman players in other regions have not played yet. For example, in my region I play against Greninja, MK, and Mii brawler a ton. I feel these match ups are near unwinnable against a competent opponent. Megaman simply does not have the tools to deal with them- even with customs. I also believe that Megaman has very tough matchups against Sheik and Rosalina. Pretty much all of the fast characters beat us with their frame data. You can know exactly what the opponent is going to do and you cannot do anything about it.

I love Megaman and I really wish I could use him competitively, but at this point I'm looking at using a top tier character because I'm tired of playing extremely well in tournaments only to run into a fast character and have an anti-bye in bracket. I'm hoping for a patch/ Rush canceling to be brought back at this point. =(

Saltix

Smash Lord
I think it's pretty telling when all of the megaman players come together and agree that MM is not a high/ top tier and that his trouble match ups are essentially the entire top/ high tier cast that Megaman needs a secondary/ is not a good character.

Looking through this thread I see each person suggesting at one point or another that Megaman's tough match up is X character, or Y character. This indicates to me that each of our individual regions have had players that have advanced certain characters that other Megaman players in other regions have not played yet. For example, in my region I play against Greninja, MK, and Mii brawler a ton. I feel these match ups are near unwinnable against a competent opponent. Megaman simply does not have the tools to deal with them- even with customs. I also believe that Megaman has very tough matchups against Sheik and Rosalina. Pretty much all of the fast characters beat us with their frame data. You can know exactly what the opponent is going to do and you cannot do anything about it.

I love Megaman and I really wish I could use him competitively, but at this point I'm looking at using a top tier character because I'm tired of playing extremely well in tournaments only to run into a fast character and have an anti-bye in bracket. I'm hoping for a patch/ Rush canceling to be brought back at this point. =(

I personally somewhat agree with your final statement, but deep down I do believe that he has the tools to handle just about any opponent. It's just that in some matchups you have to work a LOT harder than in others in order to secure the win. Also I would love for you to elaborate on the MK matchup from your experience, and fill us in on what makes you think it's unwinnable.

Last edited:

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
ok, I personally think Megaman is our Pursuit of happinness and I think we culd actually get him to top tier and when we do it will be so rewarding and satisfyng knowing it was so hard to accomplish that high learning curve goal, and I think the reward is also in the journey

Last edited:
Top Bottom