• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Megaman really needs a secondary?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I picked sheik as a secondary because she is so fast and matches up with the other fast characters which generally give mega trouble.

I recommend mega because he is really good against the slower characters because he can wall them out.

I think it is a really good pairing.

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927
Sheik is the answer to everything in this game (best character, best secondary, etc), i'm just throw that out there.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Sheik is the answer to everything in this game (best character, best secondary, etc), i'm just throw that out there.
Also may i just say that saying MM is a bad character all of a sudden just cause he loses to the best character in the game is kinda unfair.

Difficult MUs(Mario, Fox, Falcon, etc) well, sure, but until i see someone who actually beats Sheik i'll just say "keep her as your secundary and you're golden".

Greward

Smash Lord
Mega Man main "approach" option is MB to something. MB to dash grab does work sometimes so that's it. Then you get space again and chip on damage.
His aerials all have big landing lag and aren't good for approach (sometimes fair... but not realy), and he can't short hop aerial without lag either (besides nair). As in offense, I end up doing a lot of full hop mixups combining up air, tomahawks and pellets / MB. Dair isn't necessarily safe even when autocanceled and it still does have a big startup so it only works as a situational, unexpected mixup.

Crash Bomb does help approach if latched on somehow. Either it forces them to rush down on us or keep away to be able to shield or airdodge it.

Our dash attack is pretty bad and dash grab is ok but ground speed is bad. So we are jumping around to get into places and trying to not land with an aerial.

If you have a good sheik you don't really want Mega Man for anything, which is the problem to picking a higher tier secondary.
And Sheik isn't necessarily our worst matchup, but it's a bad one anyways.
Mega has some pretty ok matchups in the top/high tiers (not necessarily even but close to that). And he also has some matchups which aren't close to even. IMO he only beats Villager consistently out of the higher tiers (and maaybe Ness). Sonic is ok, Luigi is ok, Diddy is ok. He isn't a bad character, but he's not either a very relevant tournament pick.

Mega had some pretty good results on game release which got weaker over time. Most very good Mega players have dropped him and gone over stronger pick. I have seen japanese players playing Mega Man first game in set, and when losing going Sonic for example and winning, all the way to GF. You can play Mega and have a top tier second to help you pull it out when Mega is not enough, but at some point in time you will end up dropping Mega Man if you want to get the tournament prize.
So really, if you wanna play Mega I wouldn't pick a secondary, just go hardcore Mega only. If you want to pick a top character, do that. I can't know the future, but I believe Mega won't turn out to be a super strong tournament pick, unless patches come in.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Mega Man main "approach" option is MB to something. MB to dash grab does work sometimes so that's it. Then you get space again and chip on damage.
His aerials all have big landing lag and aren't good for approach (sometimes fair... but not realy), and he can't short hop aerial without lag either (besides nair). As in offense, I end up doing a lot of full hop mixups combining up air, tomahawks and pellets / MB. Dair isn't necessarily safe even when autocanceled and it still does have a big startup so it only works as a situational, unexpected mixup.

Crash Bomb does help approach if latched on somehow. Either it forces them to rush down on us or keep away to be able to shield or airdodge it.

Our dash attack is pretty bad and dash grab is ok but ground speed is bad. So we are jumping around to get into places and trying to not land with an aerial.

If you have a good sheik you don't really want Mega Man for anything, which is the problem to picking a higher tier secondary.
And Sheik isn't necessarily our worst matchup, but it's a bad one anyways.
Mega has some pretty ok matchups in the top/high tiers (not necessarily even but close to that). And he also has some matchups which aren't close to even. IMO he only beats Villager consistently out of the higher tiers (and maaybe Ness). Sonic is ok, Luigi is ok, Diddy is ok. He isn't a bad character, but he's not either a very relevant tournament pick.

Mega had some pretty good results on game release which got weaker over time. Most very good Mega players have dropped him and gone over stronger pick. I have seen japanese players playing Mega Man first game in set, and when losing going Sonic for example and winning, all the way to GF. You can play Mega and have a top tier second to help you pull it out when Mega is not enough, but at some point in time you will end up dropping Mega Man if you want to get the tournament prize.
So really, if you wanna play Mega I wouldn't pick a secondary, just go hardcore Mega only. If you want to pick a top character, do that. I can't know the future, but I believe Mega won't turn out to be a super strong tournament pick, unless patches come in.
But... Shoryuken? :(

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Fair and Bair are definitely not safe on block. They both suffer too much landing lag. I'll give you Dair, but the heavy startup makes it extremely easy to see coming. Planting crash bombers isn't an approach unless your opponent decides to sit in shield and let you run up. Turning leaf shield in doesn't give you an approach against anyone. I'm confused as to why you brought that up. The leaves have very low priority and can be beaten out by many attacks (hell, you can even grab mega man out of it in some cases).
So no, mega man still has very few safe approach options.

Pointing out mac's weaknesses means nothing to me because you didn't talk about why they matter any more in this matchup than any other. You don't explain the matchup.
Overall, little Mac is running through most of your defenses, abusing your combo meat attributes, and punishing your very unsafe methods of getting in.
Stage selection screws him over, but if you took him to FD, you would see how little your zoning methods matter in the matchup
  • Lol, unless you're on For Glory or something, why would you even let him go to FD in the first place? Yes, he is a beast there, but it doesn't mean much when I can always ban it. Only reason I would ever go to FD with him is to counterpick with badass stage music xD
  • Abuse combo meat attributes? I'd agree if he even had many combos in the first place: Dtilt > Ftilt, Dash Attack> Dash Attack, Utilt > Utilt/Ftilt, Fair > Jab, & Dtilt > KO Punch and that's it; Little Mac in general barely has any combos at all and not all of these are even guaranteed. Its not like I lack combo potential myself either: Dthrow > Bair/Uair still works here. Still gotta beware Dtilt > KO Punch though, can really give hi a comeback i you don't play cautiously.
  • Shorthopped and Falling Uair works great against Mac: doesn't care about his ftilt since it nudges him forward, places him airborne for juggling, and can even catch him rolling if you see it coming.
  • Onstage, lemons & metal blades still mess with most of his stuff at midrange besides his armored smashes.
  • Grab him, throw him offstage with Bthrow and its an easy gimp. Yes a lot of characters can do it, but its still a large advantage that should not be ignored, and Mega Man is very good at getting grabs with good usage of LS, and MBs along with having a pretty good grab at that. Not only that, but I find it even easier to screw with his recovery with him than most other characters. Leafstool, Z-Drop Metal Blade if he recovers low, lemon his double jump if possible, and he should almost never recover high since he's easy to hit out of sideb and even if you don't gimp him you can still grab him from its landing lag and just throw him off again and attempt a gimp again.
Yeah, still don't think Mac wins this, not buyin it. I'm well aware of his strengths against me: Better close range abilities, super speed, superior frame data, and the KO Punch; but these don't change that we still have scary edgeguards against him, poke with lemons and MBs, and have pretty good ways of setting up said edgeguards and we're real good at getting grabs. He does force Mega Man to play more cautiously, but overall there's just no way in hell this is a bad matchup. No way.

Bair and Fair landing lag I'll give u that.

Whether its an approach or not, stick a Crash Bomber and it still forces a reaction for you to capitalize on and make a hole in their defense:
1. Stop what they're doing and use a defensive move, while they're distracted I get time to move in and punish it
2. Try to rush you down instead and attempt t give it back to you
3. Ignore it and continue what they were initially doing, taking the damage outright.

Leaf Shield is a high priority projectile that will easily eat through many others and can sometimes allow you to counter camp when combined with MB in your hand, shot leaf first and then MB after. Also still gives a rotating hitbox just by moving and sometimes dash up shield is a good option with it, and is even easier with Plant Barrier due to its bigger hitboxes. Not a great approach, yes, but still something to work with, and can still oppose camping with its priority. And again with Skull Barrier you still get a good option against opposing projectiles, arguably the best in the game.

Diagonal MB from a fullhop is also an option; if they shield you can get a grab, and if it hits you can combo into Shoryuken or Usmash for more damage or a kill.

Yeah his approaches aren't great, but when lemons cancel out plenty of opposing projectiles how many are there thatheavily outcamp us or shut down lemon zoning anyway? Sheik Pac-Man, Rosalina, Olimar, Toon Lonk, ROB (only because of fully charged lasers), Falco, and maybe Mewtwo or Palutena; but that's about it.

Explain Sanic please
Sorry for the late reply (been having a busy day), but here goes:

Sonic has two major weaknesses: Approaching and Landing back on the Ground, Even though he's the fastest thing alive and the game's quickest character, Sonic in general has trouble dealing with zoning characters with and does not have any safe approach options to backup his sanic speed, defining approach as a way moving into an advantaged position over your opponent. And when I say zoning characters, I mean GOOD zoners with GOOD walls, not someone with bad projectiles like :4samus:, :4falco:, or :4duckhunt:. If he's up against one of these guys, then yeah Sanis is 2fast like many people complain, but against a good player with a good character with a good wall can make approaching hell for him. If you have troubles dealing with him, improve your lemon play, smart lemoning will give him a hard time.He does not have a projectile of his own to counter-camp us, no reflector, his dash attack has huge endlag and no disjoint (and only does a mere 6% even if you're hit by it), and none of his aerials are safe on shield at all. He can use homing attack to catch you offguard and go over lemons, but it has bad priority and a decent amount of startup: If you can react to it quick enough you can either spotdodge it and punish with Fair, or you can just pop out Usmash to hit him out of it. He can powershield and run through lemons, but if you shoot 1-2 lemons instead of 3 at a time its harder for him to punish it and even when he gets in he still lacks an approach like Sheik's Fair.. He can poke with Ftilt, Jab, and Dtilt with some safety; but these aren't really approaches, they're pokes, and as such he still isn't necessarily in an advantage even if he hits with them. He can spindash or spin charge and it does a whopping amount of damage if he lands it, but the spin itself has low priority and is not safe on shield. Lemons and Leaf Shield can also mess with it and make it hard to even utilize the spindash at all, and the bulk of his damage comes from that in most of his matchups The spin itself isn't as great as many claim it is, its the various mixups and ATs he has out of it that make the move amazing: Spinshots, Shield-Canceled Spins, Instant Spin Dash Jumps; etc. Sonic has a lot of options out of his spins to keep you guessing on what he's going to do, and if you guess wrong he's going to punish you very easily, but none of these options are safe and you can easily punish them if you know what option he's going for.. I think a lot of people complain about Sonic because its a lot easier to get punishes with him than any other character, the moment you make a mistake, he's so fast he can run over to you and do his thing and net a lot more damage faster than other characters. The trouble though (for him) is that his whole approach game is basically "Rely on my opponent to make a mistake" and "Try to make him mess up". The spindash is like his only real form of approach and he's almost always putting himself at risk when doing it, and I think Mega Man's strong lemon zoning puts him at even bigger risk than usual and we don't have to respect his options as much as other characters do. Its like Falcon and Greninja: We win neutral, but his higher damage output and better kill moves give him a larger advantaged state. But while Sonic is a better character than both of em when compared generally, I think he has a harder time against us since I feel we have an even better neutral here and he can't really deal with projectiles as well as either of them (Greninja at least, has 2 aerials safe on block to poke with and can poke back with his own projectile).

Imo, the matchup is 45:55 at worst, would personally call it 55:45 slightly in Mega Man's favor. Its not a fun matchup on either side honestly; Sonic's spin combos deal much better damage than anything we can do, has better close range abilities, stronger killing moves and overall has a bigger advantaged game, if you make too many mistakes its game over for you due to his speed. But while he has the mobility to get in on us, he doesn't have any approaches to compliment it and he's not really built for rushdown like Sheik, he has to play a heavy bait and punish game and rely on you making mistakes for him to capitalize on. He may win advantage, but its pretty hard for him to even get one in the first place due to his horrible approach options, and if you don't make enough mistakes for him to punish, you should make hell for him to get in. Sonic resets to neutral a lot n his gameplay, and I think we easily win the neutral so its gonna be just as painful for him is not more than you. With custom moves, the matchup doesn't change much either, as Sonic gains very little from customs compared to other characters and none in particular are drastically improved or that effective against us. His Burning Spindash originally had invincbility on startup and could work against projectiles, but two patches ago that was taken away and the move is basically worthless now. One other weakness Sonic has is that his landing options from the air are complete ass: his aerials do a very very poor job or protecting him while airborne and his options against a opponents directly below him are incredibly bad. All he can do is Spring to Dair (which deprives him of all his other specials and moves him in a telegraphed trajectory), Homing Attack (which has bad priority and you can hit him out of it with Usmash), and Nair and Bair (both of which are easy to shieldgrab). Anytime you catch Sonic airborne, by all means do your best to stay underneath him and don't give him a chance to touch the ground, harass him with Uair, Danger Wrap, Shieldgrab, Usmash or Fsmash and try to keep him in the air as long as you can, he'll hate it. Its a long, boring matchup regardless of whose side you're on, but if you play patient and stay calm it should slightly be in your favor, I feel.

TL;DR: Not entirely Mega Man specific But here's this pretty useful guide to fighting Sonic in general if you gut 10 mnutes to spare, and its very highly accurate. In the comments below, even 6WX himself agrees that many characters can put work on him including us https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfXfpU1OX7c3

In my overall personal opinion, Mega Man does fine against the fair majority of the roster and has few truly great and few truly terrible matchups, and I stand by the opinion that the only characters that really threaten him are Sheik and Falcon. I do think he has a few other bad or potential bad MUs here and there (Fox, Greninja, Meta Knight, Rosalina, Pit, etc.), but I don't think any of them get any worse than 40:60 and while they are tough, they're not so tough where a secondary becomes almost mandatory to win. Definitely not top tier material, but I think he's upper mid tier at worst and is good enough a character already, while he's very difficult to master I think he can live without a secondary and I still stand by this opinion. Granted, I do personally 2nd :4greninja: and have various pocket characters (that I'm trying to get rid of), but its more because I get bored just playing Mega Man all the time than anything else.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
  • Lol, unless you're on For Glory or something, why would you even let him go to FD in the first place? Yes, he is a beast there, but it doesn't mean much when I can always ban it. Only reason I would ever go to FD with him is to counterpick with badass stage music xD
  • Abuse combo meat attributes? I'd agree if he even had many combos in the first place: Dtilt > Ftilt, Dash Attack> Dash Attack, Utilt > Utilt/Ftilt, Fair > Jab, & Dtilt > KO Punch and that's it; Little Mac in general barely has any combos at all and not all of these are even guaranteed. Its not like I lack combo potential myself either: Dthrow > Bair/Uair still works here. Still gotta beware Dtilt > KO Punch though, can really give hi a comeback i you don't play cautiously.
  • Shorthopped and Falling Uair works great against Mac: doesn't care about his ftilt since it nudges him forward, places him airborne for juggling, and can even catch him rolling if you see it coming.
  • Onstage, lemons & metal blades still mess with most of his stuff at midrange besides his armored smashes.
  • Grab him, throw him offstage with Bthrow and its an easy gimp. Yes a lot of characters can do it, but its still a large advantage that should not be ignored, and Mega Man is very good at getting grabs with good usage of LS, and MBs along with having a pretty good grab at that. Not only that, but I find it even easier to screw with his recovery with him than most other characters. Leafstool, Z-Drop Metal Blade if he recovers low, lemon his double jump if possible, and he should almost never recover high since he's easy to hit out of sideb and even if you don't gimp him you can still grab him from its landing lag and just throw him off again and attempt a gimp again.
Yeah, still don't think Mac wins this, not buyin it. I'm well aware of his strengths against me: Better close range abilities, super speed, superior frame data, and the KO Punch; but these don't change that we still have scary edgeguards against him, poke with lemons and MBs, and have pretty good ways of setting up said edgeguards and we're real good at getting grabs. He does force Mega Man to play more cautiously, but overall there's just no way in hell this is a bad matchup. No way.

Bair and Fair landing lag I'll give u that.

Whether its an approach or not, stick a Crash Bomber and it still forces a reaction for you to capitalize on and make a hole in their defense:
1. Stop what they're doing and use a defensive move, while they're distracted I get time to move in and punish it
2. Try to rush you down instead and attempt t give it back to you
3. Ignore it and continue what they were initially doing, taking the damage outright.

Leaf Shield is a high priority projectile that will easily eat through many others and can sometimes allow you to counter camp when combined with MB in your hand, shot leaf first and then MB after. Also still gives a rotating hitbox just by moving and sometimes dash up shield is a good option with it, and is even easier with Plant Barrier due to its bigger hitboxes. Not a great approach, yes, but still something to work with, and can still oppose camping with its priority. And again with Skull Barrier you still get a good option against opposing projectiles, arguably the best in the game.

Diagonal MB from a fullhop is also an option; if they shield you can get a grab, and if it hits you can combo into Shoryuken or Usmash for more damage or a kill.

Yeah his approaches aren't great, but when lemons cancel out plenty of opposing projectiles how many are there thatheavily outcamp us or shut down lemon zoning anyway? Sheik Pac-Man, Rosalina, Olimar, Toon Lonk, ROB (only because of fully charged lasers), Falco, and maybe Mewtwo or Palutena; but that's about it.

Sorry for the late reply (been having a busy day), but here goes:

Sonic has two major weaknesses: Approaching and Landing back on the Ground, Even though he's the fastest thing alive and the game's quickest character, Sonic in general has trouble dealing with zoning characters with and does not have any safe approach options to backup his sanic speed, defining approach as a way moving into an advantaged position over your opponent. And when I say zoning characters, I mean GOOD zoners with GOOD walls, not someone with bad projectiles like :4samus:, :4falco:, or :4duckhunt:. If he's up against one of these guys, then yeah Sanis is 2fast like many people complain, but against a good player with a good character with a good wall can make approaching hell for him. If you have troubles dealing with him, improve your lemon play, smart lemoning will give him a hard time.He does not have a projectile of his own to counter-camp us, no reflector, his dash attack has huge endlag and no disjoint (and only does a mere 6% even if you're hit by it), and none of his aerials are safe on shield at all. He can use homing attack to catch you offguard and go over lemons, but it has bad priority and a decent amount of startup: If you can react to it quick enough you can either spotdodge it and punish with Fair, or you can just pop out Usmash to hit him out of it. He can powershield and run through lemons, but if you shoot 1-2 lemons instead of 3 at a time its harder for him to punish it and even when he gets in he still lacks an approach like Sheik's Fair.. He can poke with Ftilt, Jab, and Dtilt with some safety; but these aren't really approaches, they're pokes, and as such he still isn't necessarily in an advantage even if he hits with them. He can spindash or spin charge and it does a whopping amount of damage if he lands it, but the spin itself has low priority and is not safe on shield. Lemons and Leaf Shield can also mess with it and make it hard to even utilize the spindash at all, and the bulk of his damage comes from that in most of his matchups The spin itself isn't as great as many claim it is, its the various mixups and ATs he has out of it that make the move amazing: Spinshots, Shield-Canceled Spins, Instant Spin Dash Jumps; etc. Sonic has a lot of options out of his spins to keep you guessing on what he's going to do, and if you guess wrong he's going to punish you very easily, but none of these options are safe and you can easily punish them if you know what option he's going for.. I think a lot of people complain about Sonic because its a lot easier to get punishes with him than any other character, the moment you make a mistake, he's so fast he can run over to you and do his thing and net a lot more damage faster than other characters. The trouble though (for him) is that his whole approach game is basically "Rely on my opponent to make a mistake" and "Try to make him mess up". The spindash is like his only real form of approach and he's almost always putting himself at risk when doing it, and I think Mega Man's strong lemon zoning puts him at even bigger risk than usual and we don't have to respect his options as much as other characters do. Its like Falcon and Greninja: We win neutral, but his higher damage output and better kill moves give him a larger advantaged state. But while Sonic is a better character than both of em when compared generally, I think he has a harder time against us since I feel we have an even better neutral here and he can't really deal with projectiles as well as either of them (Greninja at least, has 2 aerials safe on block to poke with and can poke back with his own projectile).

Imo, the matchup is 45:55 at worst, would personally call it 55:45 slightly in Mega Man's favor. Its not a fun matchup on either side honestly; Sonic's spin combos deal much better damage than anything we can do, has better close range abilities, stronger killing moves and overall has a bigger advantaged game, if you make too many mistakes its game over for you due to his speed. But while he has the mobility to get in on us, he doesn't have any approaches to compliment it and he's not really built for rushdown like Sheik, he has to play a heavy bait and punish game and rely on you making mistakes for him to capitalize on. He may win advantage, but its pretty hard for him to even get one in the first place due to his horrible approach options, and if you don't make enough mistakes for him to punish, you should make hell for him to get in. Sonic resets to neutral a lot n his gameplay, and I think we easily win the neutral so its gonna be just as painful for him is not more than you. With custom moves, the matchup doesn't change much either, as Sonic gains very little from customs compared to other characters and none in particular are drastically improved or that effective against us. His Burning Spindash originally had invincbility on startup and could work against projectiles, but two patches ago that was taken away and the move is basically worthless now. One other weakness Sonic has is that his landing options from the air are complete ***: his aerials do a very very poor job or protecting him while airborne and his options against a opponents directly below him are incredibly bad. All he can do is Spring to Dair (which deprives him of all his other specials and moves him in a telegraphed trajectory), Homing Attack (which has bad priority and you can hit him out of it with Usmash), and Nair and Bair (both of which are easy to shieldgrab). Anytime you catch Sonic airborne, by all means do your best to stay underneath him and don't give him a chance to touch the ground, harass him with Uair, Danger Wrap, Shieldgrab, Usmash or Fsmash and try to keep him in the air as long as you can, he'll hate it. Its a long, boring matchup regardless of whose side you're on, but if you play patient and stay calm it should slightly be in your favor, I feel.

TL;DR: Not entirely Mega Man specific But here's this pretty useful guide to fighting Sonic in general if you gut 10 mnutes to spare, and its very highly accurate. In the comments below, even 6WX himself agrees that many characters can put work on him including us https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfXfpU1OX7c3

In my overall personal opinion, Mega Man does fine against the fair majority of the roster and has few truly great and few truly terrible matchups, and I stand by the opinion that the only characters that really threaten him are Sheik and Falcon. I do think he has a few other bad or potential bad MUs here and there (Fox, Greninja, Meta Knight, Rosalina, Pit, etc.), but I don't think any of them get any worse than 40:60 and while they are tough, they're not so tough where a secondary becomes almost mandatory to win. Definitely not top tier material, but I think he's upper mid tier at worst and is good enough a character already, while he's very difficult to master I think he can live without a secondary and I still stand by this opinion. Granted, I do personally 2nd :4greninja: and have various pocket characters (that I'm trying to get rid of), but its more because I get bored just playing Mega Man all the time than anything else.
I think we habe only scratched the surface with Megaman with all his unexplored potential, like we get little to no use from CB and LeafShield.. I think we shpuld develop those weapons, same for nair. What Ive found is that Nair is faster than fair and keeps quite a distamce while doing it after dthrow so for fast fallers-combo breaker characters Ill usd it rather than dair, Leafshield is nown for being good for gimping but how good? It works great against characters with low priority, laggy recovers and due to its lower endlag it is great for recover while you are on the air since it out prioritize preojectiles and ileven with heavier projectiles it crosses them only losing a leaf and allows you to jit the opponent while recovering and CB is just so unexplored, it is great for edguarding like seeting one on the ledge while ur opponent is recovering and for approaching, I think we have to develop more edgeguards with it since I think thats where its potential lies and overall we should use all our tool kits snce Ive seem we overcommit to pellets most of the time, Pivot Fsmash can do great shield pressur, Ive found it works great against slow running characters snce theyll have a hard time punishing us, and it works also with fast runners but youll get punished if perfect shielded..

*And I forgot to mention u turn to fsmash, that works great with MM

Last edited:

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
The thing is with DITCIT (forward item toss) is its just not that simple to punish especially when both opponents are properly spaced from each other. The only flaw with the technique is just the start up. There's actually plenty of human reaction time to react to an opponent's defensive options properly. Like for instance if he jumps, you can back air, if he attacks, you can STILL shield it and some attacks clank with the metal blade giving you the advantage, and of course if they shield, its a free grab.

If someone does it too much, then yes, it can get predictable, but its not something you can punish right off the bat considering how far he slides, unless the Mega Man player really has no idea what he's doing.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
what do you think of this battle? I think I've improved in the pivot fsmashing and juggling a bit! Gimme feedback on this battle please, also I think this match was really even

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Not bad at all. I think with MM dittos it doesn't show how well you are as a Mega man (for anyone) because it is a much different matchup than most other characters.

I think you need to be more dynamic with your pellets though.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Not bad at all. I think with MM dittos it doesn't show how well you are as a Mega man (for anyone) because it is a much different matchup than most other characters.

I think you need to be more dynamic with your pellets though.
Explain

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
I think he means to mix up between firing 1, 2, and 3 pellets, as well as using nair to move backward while firing forward, etc.

Edit: Also, jumping immediately after firing pellets allows for quick aerial strings that cancel out the endlag on the pellets.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
What I would need a secondary for though, is Mega Man dittos. Oh my god, these are probably among the most jank and most boring matchups in the entire game and my personal least favorite MU in the game. Its so slow and goes on for days, most of the time I find myself only being able to reliably use lemons and leaf shield; all my other projectiles (even the trusty metal blades) get easily cancelled out by the opposing Mega Man; and vice versa for him too. Whenever I see another Mega Man, I almost always opt to change to :4greninja: instead of me vs the copy robot.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
What I would need a secondary for though, is Mega Man dittos. Oh my god, these are probably among the most jank and most boring matchups in the entire game and my personal least favorite MU in the game. Its so slow and goes on for days, most of the time I find myself only being able to reliably use lemons and leaf shield; all my other projectiles (even the trusty metal blades) get easily cancelled out by the opposing Mega Man; and vice versa for him too. Whenever I see another Mega Man, I almost always opt to change to :4greninja: instead of me vs the copy robot.
Personally, I LOVE :4megaman: dittos :p
I don't know, seeing all these projectiles clash just feels awesome. It feels like in a Cowboy film : the first one to get a FSmash out wins. It's just so intense !
Now if customs are on, I would definitely change, through. No way :4megaman: dittos can go anywhere with Skull Barrier on.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
What I would need a secondary for though, is Mega Man dittos. Oh my god, these are probably among the most jank and most boring matchups in the entire game.
I used to agree but I was slowly warming up to the idea. Had a few decent ones, among the usual boring ones. Then I came across this blue MM(I'm red) and it convinced me that MM dittos can actually be one of the most intense matchups in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RReXrk083Ns

It was hella fun.

He ignored my friend request :(

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I think he means to mix up between firing 1, 2, and 3 pellets, as well as using nair to move backward while firing forward, etc.

Edit: Also, jumping immediately after firing pellets allows for quick aerial strings that cancel out the endlag on the pellets.
Do you have any video to show that?

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I used to agree but I was slowly warming up to the idea. Had a few decent ones, among the usual boring ones. Then I came across this blue MM(I'm red) and it convinced me that MM dittos can actually be one of the most intense matchups in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RReXrk083Ns

It was hella fun.

He ignored my friend request :(
I'm sure he just got to the 100 friends limit or he hates your guts.
Anyways, recently i got a few MM dittos that proved to be quite fun.

One on the ladder in particular, it was really intense, dude was way better than me but it still went to 1 final stock for each and huge percents, it was a lot of fun then he 2 stocked me on game 2.

That match of Zucco vs Stylesx2 on youtube also showed that it can be a fun match if both want to go in, but considering you want to win it, the optimal way to play really seems to be a slow, boring lemon fest, so i can't disagree with Pika Kong either.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I'm sure he just got to the 100 friends limit or he hates your guts.
Anyways, recently i got a few MM dittos that proved to be quite fun.

One on the ladder in particular, it was really intense, dude was way better than me but it still went to 1 final stock for each and huge percents, it was a lot of fun then he 2 stocked me on game 2.

That match of Zucco vs Stylesx2 on youtube also showed that it can be a fun match if both want to go in, but considering you want to win it, the optimal way to play really seems to be a slow, boring lemon fest, so i can't disagree with Pika Kong either.
That's true, but :4megaman:'s only ranged kill moves are Danger Wrap (which is actually a close range kill move tbh) and Charge Shot, which is slightly better in the ditto because it is trancendent and won't clash with other projectiles.
The other Mega man will have to get in to get safe kills, but since we have such a hard time getting close to our opponents, he'll put himself in danger.
Wait, what am I talking about already...

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
I dont have videos of myself for pellet examples, but if you youtube Zucco Megaman Videos, thats the Mega I try to emulate with my pellet play.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
I must admit your channel is amazing and you do have great pellet play, now would you mind explaining how do you and ahoot pellets so fast?
Just uploaded a new one from 2 days ago. Best Sheik I ever faced and I kept up with him :D For the most part haha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNEuU0-v178 This is kinda why I feel anyone serious about Mega Man shouldn't shy away from matchups and use a secondary. Find a way to cope with the speed and rush down. In Sheiks case it's lots of out-spacing, keep moving, and keep move lag to a minimum. That last one is the hardest.

My secret is my controller choice and button layout. At least that's what works well for me. I use a classic controller with B as jump and Y as attack. I don't have to move my thumb to hit either button. Tip of my thumb attacks and the middle of my thumb jumps. It took several months but I can finally consistently do short hops while shooting at the same time.

It's possible to have that with a GC controller, but I find the small uniformity of the classic buttons much easier to wield. Short hops are easier too. Plus the shoulder buttons are more responsive. X is special attack if you're wondering.

Oh, and my other secret is that I've been playing Mega Man exclusively for several hours nearly every night for about 4 months.

Last edited:

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Just uploaded a new one from 2 days ago. Best Sheik I ever faced and I kept up with him :D For the most part haha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNEuU0-v178 This is kinda why I feel anyone serious about Mega Man shouldn't shy away from matchups and use a secondary. Find a way to cope with the speed and rush down. In Sheiks case it's lots of out-spacing, keep moving, and keep move lag to a minimum. That last one is the hardest.

My secret is my controller choice and button layout. At least that's what works well for me. I use a classic controller with B as jump and Y as attack. I don't have to move my thumb to hit either button. Tip of my thumb attacks and the middle of my thumb jumps. It took several months but I can finally consistently do short hops while shooting at the same time.

It's possible to have that with a GC controller, but I find the small uniformity of the classic buttons much easier to wield. Short hops are easier too. Plus the shoulder buttons are more responsive. X is special attack if you're wondering.

Oh, and my other secret is that I've been playing Mega Man exclusively for several hours nearly every night for about 4 months.
Well I have a Classic Controller although I almost play exlusively on 3ds, on 3ds I just slide my thumb through both buttons withough lifting, was doing that today and it worked but not so consistenly so I must need practice.. Ill watch that video right now

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace

One thung you should stop doing is fsmashing in neutral, or at least make it unpredictable like an uturn fsmash

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
I tend to do it by accident more often than not. Not sure if it's cause of wifi lag or just screwing up what I wanted to do, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks. I do sometimes use it in neutral when it's not a good idea and not enough to ledge guard.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I tend to do it by accident more often than not. Not sure if it's cause of wifi lag or just screwing up what I wanted to do, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks. I do sometimes use it in neutral when it's not a good idea and not enough to ledge guard.
I kind of understand you, sometimes I try to do turn around pellet and end up fsmashing

jimm

Smash Cadet
After maining MM since the demo was available, it feels like MM has basically no answer to Link, Samus, Falco, and a few others. To just elaborate on those:

Link's upclose too easily beats anything MM can try to do, and Link obviously wins far away.

Samus can literally charge her charge shot and roll to the other end of the stage, and MM isn't fast enough to catch up. MM then has to play super scared because he probably will die if Samus lets go of the charge shot while he's unprepared. So much of what Samus does forces you into shield or avoiding that you can't do anything, same problem as Link.

Falco's reflecting moving shine is almost 100% unpunishable by MM. If Falco just camps that one move the game is basically over - you can't pellet him, you can't get in and use any physical moves, and there's not enough time to punish it on reaction (I've tested in training mode extensively. If you're in 1/4th speed and jump into motion the frame that Falco starts sending it out there's technically enough time to just barely hit him with a fair. It's not something that could be done realtime). Falco's one of a few matchups for Mega Man that I would honestly put at 90-10. If they know how to use the controller the match is pretty much decided at character select.

Fox was mentioned as bad in a post here but not Falco in that post. I've always found Fox not bad, you just have to not use fsmash. Unlike Falco, Fox's shine doesn't zone out all of your options. You can grab Fox while he's shining and you can actually hit Fox in a lot of situations, even with pellets.

It seems like a good counter to MM's bad MUs is probably Rosalina, especially due to her gravity pull against Samus and Link.

Last edited:

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
After maining MM since the demo was available, it feels like MM has basically no answer to Link, Samus, Falco, and a few others. To just elaborate on those:

Link's upclose too easily beats anything MM can try to do, and Link obviously wins far away.

Samus can literally charge her charge shot and roll to the other end of the stage, and MM isn't fast enough to catch up. MM then has to play super scared because he probably will die if Samus lets go of the charge shot while he's unprepared. So much of what Samus does forces you into shield or avoiding that you can't do anything, same problem as Link.

Falco's reflecting moving shine is almost 100% unpunishable by MM. If Falco just camps that one move the game is basically over - you can't pellet him, you can't get in and use any physical moves, and there's not enough time to punish it on reaction (I've tested in training mode extensively. If you're in 1/4th speed and jump into motion the frame that Falco starts sending it out there's technically enough time to just barely hit him with a fair. It's not something that could be done realtime). Falco's one of a few matchups for Mega Man that I would honestly put at 90-10. If they know how to use the controller the match is pretty much decided at character select.

Fox was mentioned as bad in a post here but not Falco in that post. I've always found Fox not bad, you just have to not use fsmash. Unlike Falco, Fox's shine doesn't zone out all of your options. You can grab Fox while he's shining and you can actually hit Fox in a lot of situations, even with pellets.

It seems like a good counter to MM's bad MUs is probably Rosalina, especially due to her gravity pull against Samus and Link.
Dude, serioulsy, Samus?

jimm

Smash Cadet
Dude, serioulsy, Samus?
What does MM do that Samus doesn't do better? Samus's charge shot is the best of MM's leaf shield and fsmash, and can be held on to in order to completely dictate neutral because the opponent has to play extremely carefully to not get hit by it, not knowing when it's going to come out. Samus has upclose physical moves, and MM doesn't. None of MM's projectiles are as good as Samus's missiles. The list goes on.

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
What does MM do that Samus doesn't do better? Samus's charge shot is the best of MM's leaf shield and fsmash, and can be held on to in order to completely dictate neutral because the opponent has to play extremely carefully to not get hit by it, not knowing when it's going to come out. Samus has upclose physical moves, and MM doesn't. None of MM's projectiles are as good as Samus's missiles. The list goes on.
If you're giving her the room to charge her shot, you're doing the match up wrong. MM out projectile spams Samus very easily, the only one she has that we should be worried about is the charge shot. Everything else she has can be pelleted, bladed, or crash bombed. Her missiles aren't as good as you're giving them credit for, and megaman does have close up options, you just have to know when to use each one to get the best effect. Dtilt and down throw are good for getting her into the air, where she gets juggled all day because she's floaty. The key to this matchup is to keep her around max pellet range until you can punish a whiff with a dthrow or dtilt and keep her in the air. If she is rolling around a bunch, roll read for a grab, or get used to timing fsmash for the roll punish.

Last edited:

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Jim, you sound very pessimist upon your own bad match ups. Some of these problems aren't actual problems at all. And sure Samus has a charge shot which decimates everything in its path, but did you know about one option all characters have? Perfect Shielding. Predictable Samus shenanigans are only most effective if the opponent screws up or in online lag.

Falco's shine has many ways to approach it. I can name plenty, coming from someone who doesn't have a pellet playstyle.

As for Link... No? Lots of things of his are somewhat more laggier than our moves and his projectiles are properly countered by a projectile leaf shield from afar. Close-up item warfare is where Link might give us a harder time at his own best especially if we get way in our heads and not deal with them properly like tossing his bombs back. You cannot shoot them or anything like you would his other projectiles since they have about 6HP before they can expire. Link cannot Hylian Shield metal blades from his standing and walking stance due to their persistent hitboxes.

As for Fox... Good or not, I've yet to see it as a bad match up.

Greward

Smash Lord
If you can get in pellet range Samus has very little responses nor she can charge the big cannon. Her charge shot is very good but that's all she has.

About Falco reflector, you can either dash shield in or jump over it. Try to jump around a lot and go for diagonal down metal blade and make him weary of using reflector. Whiffed reflector is punishable, and if you shield it you'll probably be able to dash grab to punish.

Link's jab is annoying, but pellets do mess up with his projectile game and he has no fast options to close in. If you can get a grab in he has a hard time getting back to neutral position too, and he's gimpable. Pellet spam matchup really, it's very hard to get in but he can't really outcamp us either. Bombs are very annoying and you have to change the gameplan if he has a bomb in hand.

Fox is very hard, but mostly it's because of his speed. I like to shield and pivot grab a lot in this matchup. If he goes for short hop approaches pivot ftilt works good too. He can die early if we get a good hit in and it's hard for him to kill us as long as you avoid the up smash and the moves that combo into upsmash like sourspot nair or dair. I do agree that this is a bad one though.

Last edited:

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Falco's reflector could also be ducked under as well as his lasers and saying its just almost a hundred percent unpunishable is just a stretch really when the cool down is definitely not as pretty as you'd think. (lol) I've always mixed up my approach properly to bait reflectors whether they have the habit or not.

However, I do agree its one of the more effective reflectors in the game that counter Mega Man better. Fox's reflector is bad because its got to much vertical range which means any butthole can short hop metal blade and run straight at it without being hit. Same with Palutena and just about every reflector but Falco's. The mind set of playing Falco has to be different if you expect to win, but its nothing anyone cannot take on their own.

jimm

Smash Cadet
Falco's reflector could also be ducked under as well as his lasers and saying its just almost a hundred percent unpunishable is just a stretch really when the cool down is definitely not as pretty as you'd think. (lol) I've always mixed up my approach properly to bait reflectors whether they have the habit or not.

However, I do agree its one of the more effective reflectors in the game that counter Mega Man better. Fox's reflector is bad because its got to much vertical range which means any butthole can short hop metal blade and run straight at it without being hit. Same with Palutena and just about every reflector but Falco's. The mind set of playing Falco has to be different if you expect to win, but its nothing anyone cannot take on their own.
I've done a lot of testing against Falco's shine in training mode, and as I said, the timing to punish it is probably close to 1 frame, unless you predicted he was going to use it.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
You have to bait him to use reflector then punish. Get just outside the range and use pellets when he uses it keep pelleing and he will do it again then punish.

Those matchups aren't that bad once you get them down. Link is tough to get used to. But manageable

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
I've done a lot of testing against Falco's shine in training mode, and as I said, the timing to punish it is probably close to 1 frame, unless you predicted he was going to use it.
Yet, you can shield grab, punish with a slide after a duck, or fast fall into an air shooter after a jump. All these can work.

Top Bottom