• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Brawl take skill, and is it balanced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paledragon64

Smash Cadet
I enjoy playing Brawl casually with my friends, and we have a lot of fun doing it. I'm one of the best players in my coterie of Brawlers, and it's a lot of fun to do. However, I frequently get the argument that Brawl isn't balanced at all, only luck is required, twirl the c-stick around, and etc. It ticks me off that I can be actually better than my friends at a game, when someone tells me that the game requires only luck and minimal skill.

Because this is a community of many Brawl players, most of whom play in tournaments, I'd like an answer to this argument from you. I want to prove to my friends that Brawl takes skill (I know it does, or Tiers/techniques wouldn't exist), whether it's mercilessly kicking their *** everytime by using advanced techs, or just convincing them in general. Can anyone help me, or at least discuss the question?

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Your friends have mental disabilities, I think. That's like saying if I let my friends 4 year old brother mess with the controller in a match, he'd win. And brawl does take skill. If it didn't take skill, then what would you call it? Luck? Moving your fingers and thinking about your next move isn't luck as far as I know. The game isn't luck based at all.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Only the latter part of the question has any room for discussion. Saying Brawl takes no skill says loads about other games like Poker. :)

Tujex

Smash Ace
Your friends are idiots, get better ones.

Mooooviiing on.
lmao'd

But yeah, this games takes skill. Case closed.

As for balance......well...there ARE balance issues *coughmetaknightcough*, but nothing so major that it breaks the game because even the Nadostorm cam be bested.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I personally have no clue how Tier's play into skill. I think that Tier's reflect the balance of the game more than their skill. The higher up the character the less skill required to win. MK=Effortless and Captain Falcon=don't waste you time trying. Still To play any game takes a set amount of skill. Personally I feel that it takes less to be at the top player in Brawl then the previous game It still takes at least some skill to be a good player....unless you practice with MK or Snake. I've solved that problem by moving myself and friends to the Brawl+ community. I think it's more balanced and more skillful already and it's not even complete.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
I personally have no clue how Tier's play into skill. I think that Tier's reflect the balance of the game more than their skill. The higher up the character the less skill required to win. MK=Effortless and Captain Falcon=don't waste you time trying. Still To play any game takes a set amount of skill. Personally I feel that it takes less to be at the top player in Brawl then the previous game It still takes at least some skill to be a good player....unless you practice with MK or Snake. I've solved that problem by moving myself and friends to the Brawl+ community. I think it's more balanced and more skillful already and it's not even complete.
dude ur name is "spam arrows" and ur avi is pit, oh yea you must know alot about skill...

also i dont even understand your point of view on the subject matter...

Smash Master
There's no skill in brawl. Aside from additional knowledge (nair autocancels) I'm as good now as I was three months ago, and I don't suck.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
Well duh it takes skill, and it's somewhat balanced, but nothing's perfect in that aspect. Unless there's only one charachter.

dude ur name is "spam arrows" and ur avi is pit, oh yea you must know alot about skill...

also i dont even understand your point of view on the subject matter...
You have a dorky fan boy name, type like a fucking fourth grader, and sound like an overall spacker.

Smash Master
Also, I learned about Metaknight. Selecting him doesn't take skill, though.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Man nintendotaku, that was harsh. XD

It's just a complete misunderstanding of what a tier list is. I'd do the whole tirade, but it's...tiradish. Well, anyway, the game obviously takes skill, no matter how dumb it may sound to some. The people who make the argument can be tamed by a simple two words. "No Johns."

chuckyj100

Smash Apprentice
As with everything everybody else has said. This game does in fact take skill or else there wouldn't be so many ATs, tier list wouldn't exist, and there wouldn't be any pros cause everybody would be one.
or everyone would suck lol

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
[/QUOTE]You have a dorky fan boy name, type like a fucking fourth grader, and sound like an overall spacker.[/QUOTE] - MAN OF POPSYCLE

Whats being shoved up your butthole?

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
**** you melee trolls.

play brawl

dont worry about it.

trust me, if brawl didnt take skill i would have won a tournament by now :D

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You have a dorky fan boy name, type like a fucking fourth grader, and sound like an overall spacker.[/QUOTE]

Whats being shoved up your butthole?[/QUOTE]

He said it because you made a douche bag comment about someone based off their name, so he decided to have some fun with you.

No ****.

Geist

Smash Master
I think anything consious action that requires stopping your vegetating body from drolling and falling over next to your mother while she changes your diaper takes some form of skill.

I can't even tell you the last time I saw a decently balanced game though.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
1) Yes
2) Debatable, and all threads debating it have turned to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom