• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else have very strange methods for choosing a main?

j.rob

Smash Apprentice
Well im allways hearing people be like "imah go through every character and see which 1 i feelz bestest with!" or "Iva mained link in 64. iva mained link in melee. guess who ima main in brawl." but does any one have a very strange way of choosing a main?

for instance I main toon link cause i like the graphical style of him.
i main gannondorf cause i like his oficial artwork render thingy. And his old man costume lol
I main pit cuz i like the way he says TEH FITE IZ ONNN!!!!!
and i main lucas and ness because of there victory music.

And im actualy quite good with them.

But i do main people like samus, olimar,pt, and snake because i am actualy good with them.

So any one lse have any weird methods of choosing mains?

OverlordCrono

Smash Cadet
I've seen someone post a poll that whichever character gained three votes first, he would dedicate himself to main. That simple. Kirby was chosen, and so he immediately started to main him, without a second thought.

n3g4t1v3

Smash Cadet
Well im allways hearing people be like "imah go through every character and see which 1 i feelz bestest with!" or "Iva mained link in 64. iva mained link in melee. guess who ima main in brawl." but does any one have a very strange way of choosing a main?

i main gannondorf cause i like his oficial artwork render thingy. And his old man costume lol

But i do main people like samus, olimar,pt, and snake because i am actualy good with them.

Yeah, I only choose one main.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
I choose my main from his attacks, and personality. Fox fits me best but I do switch my main every now and then because I get bored of just one character being my main.

N M E

Smash Apprentice
I was going to main Ike because he fights for his friends but...
i didn't :/

-N M E

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I go with who I can dominate with the best along with who has the greatest potential for improvement that fits my playing style. I would have never guessed Yoshi to be my main in Brawl, but after playing all the characters I tend to do the best with him. My secondaries are Diddy Kong and Peach. For some reason all my best characters are on the left side of the screen. Mario and Luigi are probabally my next best even though I'm not very good with them.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman

You have alot of mains! R U sure some of those aren't just secondaries or people you play for fun?

Ramgigon

Smash Journeyman
This is where I put whether or not I like Brawl
Well... I mained Yoshi in 64, I don't know why. I mained Yoshi in Melee because I loved his Egg Toss and Yoshi Bomb. In Brawl, I hesitantly tried to main Yoshi because of my tradition, and I fell in love with his Yoshi Bomb, Up Air, and Neutral Air.
I main Ness because he fits my playstyle...

Ganondorf, however, is one of my mains because he looks cool. Simple as that. I'm not good with him or anything, but I play him all the time.

And Donkey Kong, I use because I love the Donkey Kong series.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I main Wario because he is hands down the most fun character to play. Is that a strange method?

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
I have this wierd thing where I won't use a character if someone else is using him/her. Even if I already picked that character, if someone else picks the same one I did, I'll choose a different character.

That being said, I'll often look on forums like this just to find what character is used the least. If I find I don't like that character, I'll pick someone else.

However, I've never been able to stick with any given character for more than a month. It's not that I get bored of that one, it's like my playing style just changes overnight into something that doesn't work with that particular character.

I've always wanted to play one of the transforming characters, though. I should probably get around to that.

z33ke

Smash Rookie
yea i just masturbated to all the characters then measured the amount of semen produced from each (i only did one a day) and i found out that i gave the most to zss....

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord

I main whomever I think is cool. I also like to use characters that fight fancy or put on a show in their fights. Visualist.

D

Deleted member

My best friend used Roy in Melee.

He was quite good, and boasted that the clone was better than Marth. I literally felt sorry for Marth, so decided to play him, having no idea what he woudl be like. Thank god I did, because Marth has been my Melee main ever since.

Ike may change that for Brawl, but only because I played his games and I like his character.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i started using jiggs in melee because i was an ace with rest attack.

Zenthewanderer

Smash Apprentice
I barely played as Mario in 64 and Melee, but he's one of my main's in Brawl. Why did I start playing as him? His FS is so awesome to pull off. Sonic... Well, I love fast characters and technically I was on the Sega side of the Nintendo-Sega War. > >... Heh. (Wasn't anti-Nintendo or anything, I just was given a Genesis as a kid.)
I also sometimes pick characters based on how much I enjoy their games. I love the Pikmin games- so I'm trying to get better as Olimar. Same goes for Toon Link and Wind Waker.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I have this wierd thing where I won't use a character if someone else is using him/her. Even if I already picked that character, if someone else picks the same one I did, I'll choose a different character.

That being said, I'll often look on forums like this just to find what character is used the least. If I find I don't like that character, I'll pick someone else.

However, I've never been able to stick with any given character for more than a month. It's not that I get bored of that one, it's like my playing style just changes overnight into something that doesn't work with that particular character.

I've always wanted to play one of the transforming characters, though. I should probably get around to that.
Off-topic: Didn't you go to NSider forums?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I play the characters with games I like (and Marth who I one day hope to play his game) see sig for mains (Yoshi is a spin-off main)

redzoneNRG

Smash Cadet
Yeah. I picked whoever I thought looked cool and had style, and I also factored if I enjoyed their original game. Ness to me is a cool concept. Kid, baseball bats and yoyos, has psychic power, and confidence up the yin-yang. That, and Earthbound was a fun game also for SNES.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I arrange my mains like I'm playing Pokemon, so I have to have six.
I always choose a character that's good with n00bs and pros alike (Ike), an annoying character for backup (Lucas), and a third character that's good with projectile users (Falco, Wolf).
I have Fox next to last, and though he's good and I'm good using him, I just don't like him.
Don't know why, I guess his voice got nerfed.
Anyways, and then I have an odd character for last (Lucario).
I have had that order ever since I was serious with Smash.
Back in Melee, it still is Fox, Falco, Marth, Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
I have a poster of the entire roster on my floor and I jerk off until I reach a climax and aim it in the air and see which character it lands on. Usually I aim for Peach or Zelda.

Unknownlight

Smash Journeyman
I mained Sonic because of his side-taunt. /jk

The real reason I main Sonic is even weirder. Before Brawl came out I was playing a lot of Sonic Rush/Adventure. Like, a lot of time. Once I got Brawl, I realized that I got used to the idea of playing games at hyperactive speeds, and I found that the rest of the Brawl cast were unbearably slow. So I had to go back to Sonic and main him.

Ya hear that? YOU'RE ALL TOO SLOW!

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
I'm one of those guys who says: "Iva mained link in 64. iva mained link in melee. guess who ima main in brawl."

So I guess, no, I don't really have a special way of choosing.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
It's Sad but I have a reputation for picking some of the worst characters as mains and secondaries just to spite people and prove they belong in low tier not bottom.

I main marth which is my only good character.
I main Link.

My secondaries are Yoshi and regular Samus and I am picking up ganondorf.

I suppose it has helped me become good with high tier characters like snake (who i rarely play anymore) because with bad characters I am force to learn AT combos like Links Zair -> DAC.

If i wasnt so ****ing stuborn I might play good players win tourneys. unfortunatly that is not the case.

danielrofl

Smash Cadet
I chose my main simply because I really liked playing the wind waker.
oh and now i realize he is the only character im good with :p

JLynn943

Smash Ace
In melee I mained Peach just because I've always been a Peach fan. I also mained Pikachu and Yoshi because I liked them and was very good with them.

In Brawl I main G&W because of how awesome he is and because since it felt like nobody played him, I'd give him a shot. Most of the time I play random though.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
I actually pick mains by throwing darts at a dartboard. Each segment represents a different character, and whichever one the dart lands on, I main. Of course, if I don't like who I got I usually keep throwing until I get Snake :X

Austin55

Smash Journeyman
I pick characters from games I actually enjoy. I main Snake, with Captain Falcon a close runner up. If I can improve my Falcon to where I can actually compete, I might main him. Anyways, if people picked characters from the games they have actually played, Pit, Ike, and Marth users would drop by 90%.

Top Bottom