• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you use your taunt? Why?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Always.
Look at my two mains. If I'm not taunting with them I'm not doing my job.

Jellydino

Smash Cadet
I taunt at the start of matches as good sport between players. If they return the taunt(which most people do), It helps lighten the mood of the fight so that nobody feels mad about the match

Only people I've found who don't return this are Falcon, ZSS, Sonic and Fox players.

DeliciousDarren

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-3664-3412
I taunt in order to coerce my opponent to approach me. Mario can have a difficult time getting in to start racking up damage depending on the challenger. Also, I taunt after getting kills. Not necessarily to be a jerk, but rather to celebrate the accomplishment.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I taunt in order to coerce my opponent to approach me.
I'm not much of a Smash 4 Mario player, but isn't Mario a decent zoner? I'll admit to not knowing much about his 4 playstyle, but he seems like a character that's easy to approach with.

DeliciousDarren

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-3664-3412
I'm not much of a Smash 4 Mario player, but isn't Mario a decent zoner? I'll admit to not knowing much about his 4 playstyle, but he seems like a character that's easy to approach with.
Depends on the character, and one of the best ways to approach is to use his fireball. However, Mario's fireball has a lot of ending lag, so its difficult to approach with unless you full hop with it. It's also very easy to power shield.

Mario can pressure shield with his down air, but when people see it coming they can easily respond to it with just about any attack.

He can try ranging with his back air, but this is also dangerous if read.
Overall, its not too difficult to approach with him in most cases. Against characters like :4ness::rosalina::4link::4littlemac:it can be a nightmare. To provide an example, check out this video Ally vs. Fow. This is one of the top Mario players vs. one of the top Ness players. Granted the Mario player may have been demoralized by this point.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
I taunt if I'm playing Shulk or Mewtwo, for the 'Really feelin' it' and 'Hmhmhmhmhm-'. Love them both <3.

Kiklolaxer

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kiklolaxer
3DS FC
1349-7300-7127
Switch FC
SW-1423-7849-8688
Lol taunting is fun. I usually do to troll around and anger players (which works very well)

Thor

Smash Champion
If my opponent's playing Pikachu and isn't taunting, I'm usually disappointed because all 3 taunts are adorable [especially the dtaunt where he rolls on his back].

If my opponent won't rage at me, I taunt since it's adorable. Or if they will rage at me and I think I can put them on tilt and use that to my advantage [heh].

I taunt after SDs if they did so first, because that highly amuses me [I rarely SD but sometimes things happen, especially with QA in lag <_<].

I will also strategically taunt as Kirby (when I happen to be messing around with him) to ditch powers - but I don't really count that as taunting so much as re-obtaining inhale [if I decide inhale is better than whatever copy power I have]. I think a Kirby that doesn't taunt could stand to find times to taunt to make sure they have the moves they most need at their disposal for the situation [since sometimes you just need inhale back].

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If I'm Mac, I've just killed myself, I taunt.

To say "Whatever, doesn't matter, I still got this."

Anyone else, if I have time to fit a taunt in, I'll probably taunt Animations are fun.

sonicmega

Smash Rookie
NNID
sonicmega
3DS FC
1306-5031-6241
I will sometimes specifically time Megaman's down taunt when I get a Star KO on For Glory to end the game, so that it looks like he "left the arena" exactly before the screen freezes.

It works even more splendidly if his Win Screen pose is his 'reappearing' teleport.

Takumi

Smash Cadet
Mainly at the end of a match when everything goes slow-mo so my character can strike a pose.

Jaimy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jaimy_18
3DS FC
5086-3025-4977
Depends on the character I'm using. If I'm playing Kirby I usually do his down-taunt to say hi! If his taunt wasn't so short though, I wouldn't do it. In general I tend to be more serious and rather focus on positioning myself well instead of leaving myself wide open.

CynicalController

Smash Cadet
NNID
acetrainergaming
3DS FC
2020-0091-9961
When using Dedede, I have a terrible tendency to use his side taunt after KOs. It's more for my enjoyment rather than show off.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
If I KO with a tipper, I'll down taunt. :4marth:
If I land a break a shield, I'll up taunt. :4marth::4lucina::4jigglypuff:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Hello! / Let's go!

:4pit: - "C'mon!"

:4palutena: - "Ready when you are."

:4robinf: - "Time to tip the scales!"

:4lucina: - "Come at me!"

:4rob: - *Arm rotation*

:4ganondorf: - *Fist bump*

:4duckhunt: - *Bipedal dance*

Good kill! / I got you!

:4pit: - "That all ya got?"

:4palutena: - "You shall be purified!"

:4robinf: - "Prepare yourself!"

:4lucina: - "I cannot lose."

:4rob: - *Body spin*

:4ganondorf: - *Evil laugh*

:4duckhunt: - *Snicker*

Playing around / inducing salt (with friends)

:4palutena: - *Spin*

:4ganondorf: - *Sword*

You gonna die~

:4pit: - *Wings*

:4lucina: - *Mask*

A Very Nice Dishwasher

Smash Apprentice
Greeting:
:4zelda:
*wave*
:4fox:"Here I come!"
:4myfriends:"Prepare yourself!"
:4metaknight:"Fight me!"
:4falcon:"Show me your moves!"
After a KO:
:4villager:*cheer*
:4luigi:"Pow, pow!"
:4wario2:"Wa, wa, waa!"
:4diddy:*f CLAPPING*
End of Match:
:4yoshi:
*dance*
:4villager:*dance*
:4myfriends:"Hm."
:4luigi:"Ho, ha, hi, he, hu!"
DISRESPECT:
:4greninja:
*water hands*
:4luigi:*kick*
:4bowser:"Heh hoo"
:ganondorf:GOOBERDOOBER CLOOBERDOOBER

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
As a Dedede main, why would you ever use a taunt when you can just crouch? Not only do I use it after basically every KO, you can use it to force an approach! Nobody wants to let the big fat penguin just sit on the other side of the stage and pose! So they run at you! Also the longer you hold the crouch the more salt your opponent gets, and the more predictably they play. Easy money!

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
As a Dedede main, why would you ever use a taunt when you can just crouch? Not only do I use it after basically every KO, you can use it to force an approach! Nobody wants to let the big fat penguin just sit on the other side of the stage and pose! So they run at you! Also the longer you hold the crouch the more salt your opponent gets, and the more predictably they play. Easy money!

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Whenever I get a KO, I can't help it but taunt with any one of my mains. I want to taunt whenever I am Kirby, but I can't since I have a copy ability.

Last edited:

SuzuTitor

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuzuTitor
3DS FC
0688-6401-1227
I mainly use my taunt as a response to other taunts. If you're going to taunt me, I'll let you know that I think that is "okay".

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
I usually taunt when I do a KO, or somewhere near a KO (Having the opponent launched really far), but it's just a habit anyway.

I don't use a specific taunt, but I mostly use Fox's down taunt, since I've played too much Melee (At least, more than I play other versions as of now), and I find Fox's voice cool (In Japanese).

Also I'm the kind of person that will actually be angered when my opponent taunts after a KO. Especially for Donkey Kong's down taunt. I'm just a noob so xd

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I usually taunt after a good kill, or an entertaining kill, from either player. Course if I play Captain falcon, I'm "obligated" to "Come on! Show me your moves!"

but if my opponent is being salty and throwing a fit I side-taunt with Duck hunt any time I get them off stage.

And using samus, I like to taunt right as the match ends so she's saluting.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I love using my taunt as a sort of mindgame. It gives you a few seconds of helplessness and tells the opponent "Yo, go ahead an try to hit me if your able, cant you see that my relationship is stable" (if you get the reference, you get a cookie). This lets the opponent rush it in which you can punish. Can.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Something else i love doing with taunts is taunting with Shulk, then the opponent will most likely try to hit me, so i immediately hit B down to counter and i counter them. Then they proceed to spill the salt everywhere, while i'm drinking there tears.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
:4lucario:-Down taunt in beginning of online match, Up taunt when I'm pumped (if I'm pulling ahead).
:4mewtwo:-All 3 of his taunts are awesome, mostly use his Down or Up taunts (I use his side taunt whenever I pull ahead, same as Lucario's Up taunt).
:4darkpit:-Up taunt during beginning of a match, Down taunt whenever I'm losing or winning by a stock.
:4megaman:-Can't help but spam his Down taunt especially right at the very end of the match (makes Mega man looks like he's warping out of the arena).
:4drmario:-Down taunt (shoulder pump) is usually what my 1st taunt is whether I'm online or not (1 time me and a random guy had a taunting war before we actually fought during an online match).
:4pacman:-Up taunt FTW (it's always fun seeing all those Namco cameos).
:4pikachu:-Side or Down taunts, (he's just too adorable to leave out).
:4duckhunt:-Side taunt (:troll:) just to annoy people, especially if they SD'ed while fighting me.

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
If both me and the other player taunt at the beginning of a match, and both taunt if one of us gets a nice KO, I know I've found an awesome player.

SonicvMario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicvMario
3DS FC
4957-5533-0802
I taunt at the start of the match if my opponent does, when I get a kill and when they SD because of lag killing me

Top Bottom