• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you use your taunt? Why?

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Like the topic title says, do you players ever use the taunt? I do, but not after I get a KO. I usually use it at the beginning of the match as a way to say Hi since I use Kirby. Or I use a taunt after I get Ko'd/destroyed. As a way to try to acknowledge that I'm impressed, or say that they deserved that they did good. Though I have no idea if I'm getting the message across.

Edit: crap, I forgot to space the topic title .-.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
:4falcon:: I do his side and down taunt at the start of battle for playful intros and his up taunt after getting a KO.
:4mario:: I use the side taunt after taking out one stock and the up taunt before the round ends.
:4wario2:: All taunts after a KO and up taunt if they suicide off the stage.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I've said this in a different Taunt thread, but I think when someone gets a KO, they look miles better if they don't taunt. It just seems classier :p

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Only after winning the match if the opponent taunted me earlier, especially if it was a dumb time to taunt.

What I usually do after a KO is just run to the right side of the stage and get ready to avoid their incoming attacks.

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Well with random players I taunt them when I feel safe and ik they can't hit me just for a kick in the balls.

As for random friend codes for 1v1 after the game or if I'm just doing well I will let them know I'm on Team Ridley

As for people ik or good friends with I taunt to remind them to start trying noobs.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I've said this in a different Taunt thread, but I think when someone gets a KO, they look miles better if they don't taunt. It just seems classier :p
Yeah, that's why I don't taunt after a KO, I feel the same way, that and it's a bit risky.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I usually taunt after taking a stock, its just a habit really.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I taunt when I get a K.O. in the lead in an attempt to rile up the other player and make them more aggressive. These are the taunts I use to do so:

:4falcon:- "Show me your moves!" and "Come on!" work great.
:4kirby: - "Hiiiiiii!"
:4pit: - "That all you got?" This one's my fave. :awesome:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I taunt when I get a K.O. in the lead in an attempt to rile up the other player and make them more aggressive. These are the taunts I use to do so
Across multiple games, history has shown that it usually has the reverse effect. I can't even begin to count the number of matches I've seen on stream where someone taunts and then gets blown up. The reverse situation (where they taunt and still win, let alone gain some benefit from it) are much less common.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Across multiple games, history has shown that it usually has the reverse effect. I can't even begin to count the number of matches I've seen on stream where someone taunts and then gets blown up. The reverse situation (where they taunt and still win, let alone gain some benefit from it) are much less common.
In my personal history I've found I usually win the match if I'm in the lead and taunt. Feel free to check out my replay data and ask my friends. :p

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I only ever taunt if I feel I deserve it(surviving to 145% and then KOing for example).

:4lucina: and :4samus: taunts so worth it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I taunt when I mess up the match somehow (like SDing by mistake). It is my way of saying "ops :p"

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
Been habit of mine to taunt after getting a KO for years. Mostly because I like my character's taunts though XD Also sometimes just when I feel it's safe to (like if it'll take longer than the taunt for the opponent to recover and get to me), but that's mostly with Sonic. It fits his personality I think.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
In my personal history I've found I usually win the match if I'm in the lead and taunt. Feel free to check out my replay data and ask my friends. :p
Well, you're free to do as you please, but I'd be a little wary of doing it vs players who are clearly really good, because there's a lot of precedent for it not turning out well.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Whenever I get KO'd as Shulk by a smash attack, I use his side taunt "I'm really feeling it!". I think it fits kinda.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
If I book a stupid approach from an especially annoying opponent while playing as Greninja, I'll use the water fountain taunt to rub it in.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
If I'm not in for glory mode, I'll spam Pikachu's side taunt just to troll with people.

You know, Pikachu always going like,

PIKA, PIKA!
PIKA, PIKA!
PIKA, PIKA!
PIKA, PIKA!
Whenever I have the free oppertunity.

Last edited:

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
I only taunt online when time runs out.
Offline, for SOME reason I have a habit of taunting whenever I win a match in Classic and All-Star. Pointless taunting but my thumb instantly reaches for the D-pad. :dizzy:

Gentatsu-

Smash Rookie
NNID
JessJuxtaposed
3DS FC
2079-6864-4769
I don't typically taunt with my main (Fox). But when I play the puff, I love her up-taunt because it's cute how she says "JIGGLY".

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I only taunt when i manage something extremely epic or rare, such as the time that, in a sudden death, everyone jumped against me and i somehow managed to send them all flying at the same time with samus overhead flame thingy of doom.

But for normal kills or wins, i do nothing.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Taunt is a joke but cool.
:4duckhunt:-Is side taunt is simply :troll:.
:4olimar:-Dtaunt and Staunt is Body Ready to Olimar.
:4kirby:-Hiiiiiiii!!!

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I taunt whenever I'M REALLY FEELING IT.
...And I have enough time to do so after an KO. I usually take that time to use another Monado Art instead.
For other characters aside from Shulk? After I got in a good position after I KO'd someone, occasionally.

Last edited:

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
It all depends on the character for me. There's a few characters I play that I don't taunt at all, but there are some taunts that are just too good, or some characters that it fits so well to taunt with em. I can't not taunt as Ness or Luigi, particularly in PM. Taking a stretch as WFT is awesome after a KO or when an attack was used by my opponent just out of range. Same goes for Shulk's side taunt in the above scenarios, or when I flub something and kill myself.

SaiPrime

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2294-4638-8843
As Little Mac. I do either my down taunt sometimes when I've knocked my opponent for a loop and they're recovering, since I can't edge guard anyway. It also doubles as a mind game tactic to psych them out. I also do my up taunt when I get a K.O. just for kicks. Or should I say punches?.....

Terrible pun is terrible, I know. I just couldn't resist...

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
I like to open with uptaunt "Come at me" with Lucina and I usually use side taunt "I can not lose" after taking my first stock from my opponent.

Last edited:

BloodyNights

Smash Rookie
NNID
ServantArcher
3DS FC
1246-8831-5354
I taunt whenever I feel like it for whatever reason. It could be a friendly taunt, a taunt after a KO, a victory taunt, or a I mess up taunt etc.

I taunt the most with Luigi, I just use his side taunt for trollz. With Zelda I use her down taunt to wave good bye most of the time when they are sent flying because dats how I roll.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I don't really taunt that often. Usually when I do it it's because they taunted me at a dumb time or did something else to annoy me.

When I do taunt, I like RosaLuma's Side Taunt as well as Zelda's Down Taunt.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I really only taunt when screwing around. Getting picked up by a pink DK online and twirled around? Expect a down taunt.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I usually taunt if it's a respectable match as a way of acknowledging that it is so. If I lose a stock first and the person doesn't taunt, I won't taunt. If I taunt when I think I got a K.O., or if I taunt and then get K.O.'d myself, well I really don't care :p

I mostly taunt in the middle of a match for no apparent reason. Best taunts.

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
I try not to taunt. I feel like a jerk after I take someone's stock and then taunt. Like, I already won... why rub salt in the wound?

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
Well... I have very little else to play mind games, so I try to make them lose their focus with a blatant taunt.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Well... I have very little else to play mind games, so I try to make them lose their focus with a blatant taunt.
In my personal experience, taunting (especially crouch-taunting) at incredibly dumb times is the most infuriating to the other player, thereby making it an effective way to enrage them.

SmellTheJava

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0834-0767-5817
I always crouch down three times + up taunt, if the oponent does the same, that means he accepted a gentleman's duel of honor and no-saltyness. Truly the best way to fight.

Also I don't care about taunts in smash, I don't see them like SF taunts or other games. They're more of a tradition for me. If someone taunts after killing me I won't get offended at all, people have been doing that to me for more than 10 years now.

I don't really taunt tho.

Top Bottom