• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you use your taunt? Why?

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Usually taunt back when other people do.

Otherwise not so much. Palutena, Ike and Robin got pretty "cocky" sounding taunts.

I'm far from being cocky in this game.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
I use it sometimes if I am playing for fun with friends but not in tourneys. I use Lucas' side taunt at the beginning of matches just because I like his taunt.

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
I can say that I have used my taunt during a "for glory" match the other night, but I only did it because of the ridiculous outcome! (Basically, I was somewhat losing to begin with, but then a couple of surprise moves with sonic, and my opponent was gone!)

EDIT: There was also a time where I taunted during an online match while really far away, and the other guy did too, it really did look like we were both about to kill each other... ;)

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I really only ever taunt when I feel good about what I just did. I also taunt at the beginning of a match, but only if it is a ditto or the other player does it first. I usually don't get pissed when someone taunts me, unless I am having a bad day on for glory. The only thing that would make me not want to taunt my opponent is if they were a player who seems to want to learn and get better or if I am beating the player over and over. I just kind of feel like I am pouring salt into an open wound when I do that.

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
I really only ever taunt when I feel good about what I just did. I also taunt at the beginning of a match, but only if it is a ditto or the other player does it first. I usually don't get pissed when someone taunts me, unless I am having a bad day on for glory. The only thing that would make me not want to taunt my opponent is if they were a player who seems to want to learn and get better or if I am beating the player over and over. I just kind of feel like I am pouring salt into an open wound when I do that.
I actually quit playing with one opponent one time in for glory when I completely owned them, simply to save them from insanity! :D

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I actually quit playing with one opponent one time in for glory when I completely owned them, simply to save them from insanity! :D
I usually like to just play best 2 out of 3 on for glory, unless I really enjoy playing against a specific player. I have no problem taunting scrubs on for glory who think they are so good and never really seem to learn when they make a mistake.

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
I usually like to just play best 2 out of 3 on for glory, unless I really enjoy playing against a specific player. I have no problem taunting scrubs on for glory who think they are so good and never really seem to learn when they make a mistake.
I play until the other player disappears usually. :)

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Depends... It is instinctive to celabrate a good moment.

I do have a "hi" type message for for friends... a mode I rarely play.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I'll use it only IF my opponent uses it first or as a salutation to the rival before actually beggining the confrontation.

Other examples are if the guy/girl is being a jerk and does it EVERY time or after a SINGLE kill, then I'll do it as an exception.

But other than those two reasons above, not much.

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
Marth - Up Taunt only. Only when I land a tipper KO from either a combo or hard punish. Also great to use at the very end of a match. I like to time the shining tip with the screen freeze.

Falcon - Down taunt facing the left only. If I have a player downloaded and they aren't adapting 0 to deaths and knees follow. I can only use this when I'm in a long session with a player to let them know they need to step it up. Otherwise I don't taunt with Falcon.

Falco - Pizza Cake. I only use Falco in match ups I need to, or can camp a player with lasers like against DDD. I still zone with Falco like it's brawl and I find it satisfying that he can still hard counter characters.

D

Deleted member

I used to taunt after every KO since it was kind of an instinct by that point, but I stopped doing it a while ago because I honestly thought it was rather jerkish of me.

Nowadays I only taunt if the opponent does it first on FG as a greeting, or when I get a kill I'm really, really proud of (which is p rare occurence anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Blue

Smash Rookie
NNID
LiquidBlue
I taunt either to communicate with my fellow Falcons, if I got a really stylish kill (or I got styled on hard) or if someone is constantly taunting then I taunt at the end when I beat them just to have the last laugh in.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I don't since it tends to give off a sense of disrespect.

Unless it's mutual or it's clear they're cocky.

I usually just walk super slowly or T-bag in place after KO'ing someone.

Last edited:

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
I teabag. Taunts practically leave you vulnerable. Teabagging does not. Yeah, a carry-over from when I played PS All-Stars.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
If you're into showing off with Fox, Falcon, Little Mac, or any character with good distanced pivots, it's fun to do a perfect pivot -> taunt, which results in them sliding while taunting and looks cool.

Wario is just funny to taunt with when you get the chance, side-taunt especially where he shakes his bum-bum.

Toon_Stink

Smash Rookie
Marth - Up Taunt only. Only when I land a tipper KO from either a combo or hard punish. Also great to use at the very end of a match. I like to time the shining tip with the screen freeze.

Falcon - Down taunt facing the left only. If I have a player downloaded and they aren't adapting 0 to deaths and knees follow. I can only use this when I'm in a long session with a player to let them know they need to step it up. Otherwise I don't taunt with Falcon.

Falco - Pizza Cake. I only use Falco in match ups I need to, or can camp a player with lasers like against DDD. I still zone with Falco like it's brawl and I find it satisfying that he can still hard counter characters.
I like the down taunt for Marth:
:4marth:"Min'na! Mite ite kure!"

xZaggin

Banned via Warnings
I only taunt on some occasions, mostly when players only rely on "cheap" tactics, projectile spam and run away, ledge camping with Yoshi or kirby or Ganon.

I had a Megaman literally camp and run projectile spam the whole 5 minutes, with the lag I couldn't do much, eventually ended up going to a sudden death and he just jumped off the ledge and kept using his jump dog until bombs started dropping. He won, at the time I had no idea that sudden death had that feature. Luckily I destroyed him the following rounds and honestly nothing felt better than a taunt, especially when you're salty.

I also taunt when I'm up against less serious players, but more in a friendly way.
As I only have a 3DS it's hard to know who is friendly and who is just salty, after 10 rematches sometimes I still don't know if they're staying because it's a fun match (good connection) or they're trying to get a win.

:4ness:And as a Ness main, it's only suitable to Okay them after a taunt.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I taunt because I play the game the way I want to and anyone who tries to say otherwise is a terrible person.

D

Deleted member 189823

Sure do. It's adorable, and it's part of the game. It can be overdone, obviously. And that's when people spam it for the sake of doing it. I don't do it to "disrespect", I do it regularly, even in tournaments. Tend to do so every time I take a stock, lol.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Since I play :4miigun: I tend to side taunt after I get a KO. *reloads*

Also, when playing :4megaman: I try to down taunt at the end of the match so it looks like he's warping away and immediately shift to DPad left (I think it's left, I haven't played in several days so I might be misremembering) so I get the "warp in" victory pose. Problem is, the timing is really tight. I dunno if A/X/Y still work for choosing victory pose either, but I haven't really tested. Might make it easier to get that taunt with that victory pose since I would be able to press them almost simultaneously.
I don't teabag, since I view it as being disrespectful due to what it actually implies. The only exception is if I'm :4kirby: and don't want to lose my copy ability, since the sound effect when he crouches is pretty funny (and it's for the sake of the sound effect, rather than for the disrespect of teabagging). I should really learn to just Kirbydance instead though.

RANDOM_Stranger

Smash Cadet
Well, I like the taunts (except Sonics). Why should you not use them?

Sure, spamming them is as much fun as, well, spamming the same attack(s) over and over again. Which means not.

But I don't get mad if someone use them towards me.Really, why should you?

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
I taunt at the beginning of matches, and if I get a good kill, like a spike or a fully charged Flare Blade, or a double thunder star ko. Otherwise I just perfectpivot back across the stage.

Top Bottom