• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you use your taunt? Why?

BBC7

Smash Ace
I'm a scumbag taunter. If you die, I will taunt. Doesn't matter if I earned it or not, or whether I'm winning or not, I will still taunt because it has become second nature for me. While this could be seen as annoying, I'd like to think that it helps people out because they will recall how they died when I taunted and will improve for the next fight.

MisterVisceral

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistervisceral
3DS FC
3153-4184-3244
:4shulk:: "I'M REALLY FEELING IT!"

I do it often enough that I get "taunt-locked".
huehuehue. you know you've made it when you get taunt locked.
Sometimes I'll do it even when it puts me in danger. It just add some personality.

MassKirbycide

Smash Cadet
I taunt at the beginning of a match, and any time I get a kill with either a Falcon Punch or knee. Other than that, I don't really do it at all, unless I'm playing with friends.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff's down taunt is good to use when an opponent suicides or gets gimped. She deflates herself and falls the floor like a pancake. I use her up taunt whenever I get a good kill or a rest kill.

Wario's taunts are just great in general.

Mr. Game and Watch bell Spam is always a thing for me.

Ragemos

Smash Rookie
Only if they accidentally kill themselves. Plus I'm a crap player that's slowly but surely trying to get into the game competitively.

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
I only really used Taunts when I'm playing with friends due to me having custom taunts such as:

"Up yours!"

"See ya, SHOOBIE" (Watch Rocket Power if you want to get that reference)

"#rekt"

"Lagtastic!"

greenfield

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5155-3332-7260
If you play as Falcon and you don't ask for my moves I'm offended. It's your duty.

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah I taunt lol! I taunt after every kill; it is kinda muscle memory for me to do so hahaha. The reason why is when I was younger my brother and I would always taunt each other after each kill. Though sometimes I won't taunt when I want to give people respect.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Start a match as Palutena : "You shall be purified!"

Start a match as WFT: "Let's get a good stretch!"

KO as Palutena: *poledance*

KO as Rosalina: "Mm-hmm!"

KO as Villager: *Shrunk Funk Shuffle*

:T

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I taunt when I pull of neat kills or in general when I feel like toying with my opponent.

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
I love to taunt after KO's. If only Wolf made it in; his "What's the matter, scared?" taunt was my favorite.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
The Melee taunting bonus put me in the habit of taunting after every KO. I try not to do it though unless I actually did something to cause the KO.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
I usually use Pit's up taunt the, "come on" after taking a stock and then the "is all you got?" after taking last stock if I can fit it in.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
On a side note, me and my friends have this thing going, where taunting as often as possible without getting interrupted after a kill is seen as the biggest smack in the game. For example, one Mr. Gay Men Watch bell ring after a kill ist standard, two times ringing is taunting, three times humiliating, four times means you win the world.
But ultimately, no offense is taken.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
I actually taunt a lot, i think its fun haha. I'll taunt in the beginning of a match, or when i take a life. I also taunt when I beat up on someone and send them flying, but not kill them. I find that the player thinks its unexpected because after ill go right back into fighting them, I think they just think the timing is off but it works! Kinda severs as a "Really? Is that all you got?"

Wario has the best taunts IMO. Hitting someone with the fart and doing his butt shaking taunt is to funny.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I taunt after pretty much every kill (mostly because "Show me ya moves" is great, but when I play Luigi, I also really like his side taunt). I don't really think it's a big deal. If it gets the opponent salty or on tilt, all the better for me. I don't really mean it that way, but if it works, whatever.

Cho

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-2392-8423
I like to use Shieks downtaunt when my opponent does something acknowledgeable as it looks like a salute.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Lately, I find myself crouching as a "replacement" for taunts after taking a stock.

Not like "LOL TEABAG TIME BWAHAHAHA UNF" but more like... Just sit on the edge of the stage, looking below to make sure the guy's dead and ****. (Though Dedede's crouch, as rarely as I use him, is kind of a taunt of its own, so much awesome in that crouch.) I still do taunt in certain occassions though, I feel like it's pretty much my duty to end the match striking a cool pose if I'm the winner.

Also, you guys saying you feel kinda "rude" by taunting after an opponent's death or whatever, it kinda changes a lot depending on how you think of taunts. Remember that these things are actually called "appeals" in Japan, most taunts are more directed at the sceen (the audience) than at your actual opponent, even though there's certain exceptions. A lot of them are also more like ways to pump yourself up and junk.

Last edited:

alandaband

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1349-5943-3631
I never taunt.

If I get a stock off, I just turn around, wait for respawn and invincibility frames to wear off, and try to win.

Laltrack

Smash Rookie
NNID
Laltrack
3DS FC
5043-2104-7548
I really like to see and hear my character taunts specially pikachu's Side taunt, so I taunt as often as I can... maybe my opponents think I'm a douche xD

Sambiti

Smash Cadet
i use mine because captain falcon's are the best.
SHOW ME YOUR MOVES.
SHOW ME YOUR MOVES.
SHOW ME YOUR MOVES.

Oatkeeper

Smash Cadet
NNID
MForward56
3DS FC
3523-2118-1902
To be honest I try to avoid taunting whenever possible. It feels disrespectful to the other player and is probably just going to piss them off. I get unbelievably annoyed at people that taunt when I SD because they didn't even have any input to that death, it was all my fault so you don't even deserve to taunt. I can understand taunting after flashy kills like with the knee and falcon punch but otherwise I don't really see it as necessary.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina's side taunt because it sexually frustrates people.

Also, I tend to spam crouch with Kirby: "DOOWA-DOOWA-DOOWA-DOOWA-DOOWA-DOOWA-DOOWA-DOOWA"

punkonjunk

Smash Cadet
NNID
punkonjunk
3DS FC
3480-2775-5641
Switch FC
Sw-7819-1079-8971
Taunting after a KO enrages some folks.
Most folks play more poorly enraged.
It serves to reason that this improves my win rate, which limited trials have shown.

Taunting on KO, and whenever contributes to victory as long as your taunts do not expose you to attack. Would you not use an effective KO move that helps you win, because it's annoying? Melee was all about the metagame, and everyone I ever played with did it habitually, because hey, pointz.

And now, instead of points, we get more victories, probably.
I don't think it's discourteous, it's only discourteous if someone finds it offensive, which I find offensive, so their very offense is discourteous to me, which I'm pretty sure balances the scales.... of courtesy.

show me your moves.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
I taunt after a KO/win out of habit.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I honestly find it boring when my opponent doesn't taunt. Ya trying too hard! What, I wasn't a good enough kill for you to gloat about it? Get out of here!
Alternatively, people who taunt from a kill they didn't earn annoy me too.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
I feel like taunting is kind of douchy, specifically right after you KO someone. However, to show how much I despise them, I usually taunt when fighting a move spammer or troll when I KO them. It's my way of saying, yeah, you suck. :p

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I always try to taunt when I win so I'm framed in my taunt when he announcer says "GAME!". I think that gave you extra points in either the 64 version or Melee, for some reason I remember that.

Last edited:

EpicMario99

Smash Rookie
NNID
52yugoiram
3DS FC
1332-8218-2624
I open with Pikachu's down taunt. Every time I use it, I go "D'aaaaaaw!"

I use Game and Watch's up and side taunts whenever I feel like it because I like the sound, and his down taunt at the end of a really close match. My way of saying they were a worthy opponent, you know?

I use Palutena's side taunt (the stripper pole staff) when other opponents are fighting and I'm just chilling in the back.

I know it's not really a taunt, but I crouch with Dedede at the start of a fight to make my opponent mad/laugh.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't taunt after a kill at all unless the person I'm playing against decides to throw :salt: in my face, especially when I play as :rosalina: which I basically use her "Mmm-hmm" taunt just to make them run and scream to their mamas.

Aside from that, I do taunt at the start of a match depending on which character I play as, such as:
:4falco:: "Get some"
:4ganondorf:: side taunt
:4myfriends:: "Prepare yourself"
:4littlemac:: side taunt
:4lucina:: "Come at me"
:4shulk:: "This is the Monado's power"

Quibble

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blueurce
I think taunting is a good way to keep the game friendly, so with this mentality, I taunt every time I get a kill. Not because I think I am better then my opponent and not because I think I destroyed them, but because I feel it shows a little humor.

Top Bottom