• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you use your taunt? Why?

CobaltJustice

Smash Cadet
NNID
CobaltJustice
I taunt with Captain Falcon when I get a good knee or punch, but otherwise I tend not to. A lot of people I've been playing with lately told me that I should be taunting, and that by not taunting them I was making them more mad as they interpreted it as a taunt.

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
When I play with my friends locally we talk a lot of trash before, during, and after the matches, so taunting is pretty standard after a win or KO. When playing people I don't know I usually don't taunt unless they do at the beginning of the match, then I do the same. I also will taunt if we happen to choose the same character, but not if they switch to my character when salty.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I used to. What happened is I lost my ego I have over my Sm4sh ability. 'Why would I taunt? What I did wasn't really that impressive. If I was really that great, I would be able to just destroy this guy. He would have died a lot sooner.'

I save taunts for rare occasions. "Now it's Shulk time" is for opening up Shulk dittos. I don't use it much, because it's actually a Reyn quote, not a Shulk quote ("Now it's Reyn time!" It has a kind of rhyme to it, yeah?) "I'm really feeling it" is for when I'm damn impressed at something. Won't use that taunt for anything else except for maybe if I'm really feeling the lag. After all, it misportrays Shulk. "This is the Monado's Power" is to take jabs at major ***** while I'm destroying them. Of course, it's not common to find somebody that dickish. I might also use it in Shulk dittos, because we both have Monados, and I'm exlaiming that THIS is the Monado's Power. In that case, it's really just for fun. Shulk dittos are fun.

Last edited:

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
I always taunt after a kill, unless I'm using Samus or Robin, in which case I'm better served fully charging my B attack instead.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Always after a kill. If I'm playing with a friend, I might taunt if I get killed in a funny way.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
No, I either do the Jiggly Wiggle, Jiggly crouch, Dedede's crouch, or Kirby dance instead. :troll:
(Mash Left and right as Jigglypuff or Kirby and they do a dance, if you didn't know.)
I try to only taunt when the other person won't take offense, which I find sad that I have to worry about some friendly taunt coming off as aggressive for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I use taunts so other players can get salty. If it manages that then taunts are doing their job perfectly.

Mafiaraptor12

Smash Rookie
I only taunt when I get a Spikes, with friends, or pulling a comeback

Only when my opponent is being a complete prick Ex: picking my main after I beat then,taunt after a kill, etc. do I taunt.

Last edited:

Corsola

Smash Rookie
Yes (with Palutena). Not to be mean, I just love her side taunt a lot so I like seeing it whenever I can. And I also don't care if that person got super salty about it.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
I normally do it after I've KO'd my opponent completely in For Glory. If I'm Mario I always use his down taunt after a meteor smash. If I'm Duck Hunt I do it after every stock I take non-stop with their side taunt.

Earthboy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Teabag
Usually up-taunt at the start of every match, considering I main Ness, just as a form of acknowledgement.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I taunt when:

It's my last game after a session with a good player, beginning of the match
If we're using the same character, beginning of the match
If I got a really dope KO, like Captain Falcon d-throw > nair > nair > dair > KO
If you taunted me first disrepectfully, I make it my business to taunt like an ass the rest of the set

Otherwise I never taunt.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
I used to taunt when someone did it to me first, but then I realized it was a pretty childish way of looking things so I stopped.
Buuuut I do tend to crawl when I just killed someone, or just crouch. (Mega Man's crouch looks so silly, I love it)

Riggen

Smash Cadet
NNID
15243BDRAE
3DS FC
1607-3148-7902
I personally use Down Tuant after a KO or when the round ends, And I use Up Tuant if they do bad, You Can't Blame me for doing this, It says TUANT! You Should Tuant the other person, I By Far don't think proving yourself to be better is an option, But I do it just for fun.

Slurzen

Smash Cadet
Like the topic title says, do you players ever use the taunt? I do, but not after I get a KO. I usually use it at the beginning of the match as a way to say Hi since I use Kirby. Or I use a taunt after I get Ko'd/destroyed. As a way to try to acknowledge that I'm impressed, or say that they deserved that they did good. Though I have no idea if I'm getting the message across.

Edit: crap, I forgot to space the topic title .-.
i use my taunt (as captain falcon espescially) because i think i just look like a badass and i think it makes my opponent upset, lol.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
My thread on taunting: http://smashboards.com/threads/when-people-taunt.396488/

If you're taunting after every KO,you're being a tw@t, plain and simple. It's no different than in real life jumping up and down and screaming "YES! YES! YES! IN YOUR FACE!!!" like a douchebag. Anyone who acted like that in person would get a punch in the teeth. And that's the problem with the internet, because everyone is anonymous, people act like that when in reality, those people would sit there and sit shaking because they would get kicked in the head if they behaved like an animal.

Last edited:

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
My thread on taunting: http://smashboards.com/threads/when-people-taunt.396488/

If you're taunting after every KO,you're being a tw@t, plain and simple. It's no different than in real life jumping up and down and screaming "YES! YES! YES! IN YOUR FACE!!!" like a douchebag. Anyone who acted like that in person would get a punch in the teeth. And that's the problem with the internet, because everyone is anonymous, people act like that when in reality, those people would sit there and sit shaking because they would get kicked in the head if they behaved like an animal.
Oh I'd love it if you punched me in the teeth for taunting after a KO. I'd call the police =)

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
1. Sometimes in the beginning of a match. (Most people will attack you during the taunt)
2.If I got rekt badly. They need so see that I respect them.
3. If someone taunts after KO's I will to. People are... "Saying" "Oh, wow you suck!" It bothers me because some people, (Maybe) players new to competitive playing will be drawn away.
4. If someone uses my character and chooses it to disrespect me. (Azen did this before...) Especially if you can tell if they are terrible at using that character. Also, the Azen thing... He almost beat everyone with their characters. so I get annoyed that people try to mimic him.
5. Stupid name. I have met a Hitler, and a YouSuck online, along with B4RKF4RT. These names are stupid and deserve to be disrespected.

Saigon

Smash Rookie
I only taunt when I'm playing dittos at the beginning of the match. Anything after that is disrespectful. Unless your Captain Falcon. Perfect Pivot into Show Me Your Moves 2 stronk.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
I'd call the police =)
Spoken like a true dork.

And that's my point. Dorks who think they can run their mouths nonstop because they are anonymous. It's people who sit behind a screen and talk endless amounts of sh*t, but wouldn't say one word like that in real life because someone would smack you in the head with a rock for being an *sshole. This doesn't just start and stop with Smash Brothers, it's all internet in general.

Again, taunt and "tea bag" and do all that same douchebag behavior when you're sitting 3 feet from a stranger in real life. See how well that goes over.

Last edited:

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Spoken like a true dork.

And that's my point. Dorks who think they can run their mouths nonstop because they are anonymous. It's people who sit behind a screen and talk endless amounts of sh*t, but wouldn't say one word like that in real life because someone would smack you in the head with a rock for being an *sshole. This doesn't just start and stop with Smash Brothers, it's all internet in general.

Again, taunt and "tea bag" and do all that same douchebag behavior when you're sitting 3 feet from a stranger in real life. See how well that goes over.
No seriously, I would. Assault is a crime, I don't care who you are, you punch me and I'm pressing charges.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I don't like to taunt, unless the opponent taunts, because then I know they are okay with it. An exception would be when I am using Pit vs a Dark Pit. The side taunt "That all you got?" fits the situation when I get a kill. I don't usually taunt with Sonic, because I know that fighting him is already bad enough.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I usually don't taunt because it's often taken as an insult by other players (It's called a taunt for a reason). There are a few exceptions though.
:4palutena: side taunt because everyone loves her side taunt
:4megaman:down taunt because it's just awesome
:4myfriends:down taunt makes it seem like he's chilling after the match is over.

Instead of actual character taunts, many times, I'll turn around in the direction opposite the direction the opponent just died in and slow walk. Works best with Palutena. Also, Shulk slow walk while flashing all his M-Arts is fantastic.

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
I generally only taunt if I had a really awesome kill, or if I like the person I'm playing with online and it's a respect thing.

Top Bottom