• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you use your taunt? Why?

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
In my personal experience, taunting (especially crouch-taunting) at incredibly dumb times is the most infuriating to the other player, thereby making it an effective way to enrage them.
I'm on my way to try it :joyful:

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
I usually don't taunt because I always seem to get my butt handed to me afterwards. Only time I taunt is if something strange/funny happens or if I'm Captain Falcon at the time. Captain Falcon's taunts are at least funny.

When other players taunt, especially if I die to circle pad problems, all it does is make me sad.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
I respect my opponent and do not taunt. If something ridiculous happens, i.e. I get a rest off and we are both on last stock with 100% or something, I usually taunt though. If my opponents taunt I will sometimes taunt back, but most of the time, I don't. It's more satisfying to me that way for some reason. I really don't mind at all if they taunt though. I play Hearthstone and I don't really care about its infinitely more annoying emote system so I'm more or less grown desensitized to it.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
I usually don't taunt unless I get taunted at first. What's funny/idiotic is when people taunt me after a KO when they're at like 80% and about to lose. What's the point?

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I only taunt after I've K.O.'d my opponent or completely assured victory for myself. When using Lucina, I use the taunt "Come at me!" taunt after I've K.O.'d someone and then when I've won the match I use the taunt "I cannot lose." Lucina is SO sassy and I love it! <3

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I taunt by instinct after a kill, it's something I've grown to do in the many years I've played exclusively against my brother. I also do it if I make a huge mistake myself, or something hilarious happens in general. I don't ever mean any harm with it though, I just want you to show me ya moves, or sometimes you might just be better off preparing yourself.

Last edited:

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
I feel it's my duty to spread the joy of Palutena's side taunt to all online opponents. :awesome:

With Ness I'll sometimes side taunt if I land a bat KO. Lucina's "Come at me!" at the start of a match or at projectile spammers is a good one.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Depends. If the guy had it coming, yeah. Though I now make it a thing to do Marth's Up Taunt to Shield Breaker post shield break. :p

Aesri

Smash Rookie
Depends on character and situation.

With Dk I try to have a fully charged B ready by the time my opponent comes back after I got him, same with Samus. With Peach I pick a turnip first and only taunt if the time still allows it.
With Fox on the other hand I like to play mindgames with his uptaunt. If I play against someone fast they usually try to punish the fake-firefox from above, but uptaunt is fast enough to allow me u-air, u-tilt or u-smash to punish the false read. Doesn't work on newer players or experienced ones though :laugh:

Generally I taunt only if it's 99% safe and after I killed, with the exception of Fox' uptaunt, Zeldas good-bye wave after a fully charged f-smash hit and sometimes Peachs "la la-la la la la".
No taunts for accidental SDs! Side-B happens to often instead of up-B with 3DS>.<

I don't take it serious either if someone taunts me. Although I'll punish it, granted I get the chance!
I won't allow taunting at the start! :psycho::smash:

Ah,I rarely taunt, after getting as much distance as possible, to signal a temporary truce if the game suddenly starts to lag like crazy. If it works and the lag stops after a few seconds, we usually "restart" with playful projectile exchange or smashes in the false direction.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Always taunt at the start of Falcon dittos. Its how you show your praise to the Captain.

I only taunt when they taunt first usually. If you take my first stock and taunt, I'm gonna hit you with the Show Me Ya Moves immediately after I grab a stock

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I do taunt after each stock taken. It's just a fun little feature i like to abuse and if it does make my opponent rage, i'll be happy to face an infuriated enemy. :-)

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I like Mario's down taunt(his Mario 3 dieing animation) when somebody dies in a funny way. Otherwise it's mostly random taunts if I don't have a move to charge instead..........except for Sonic. He only gets the up taunt. Anything else would just be disrespectfull towards my opponent.

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
I always do mega mans down taunt at the end of a winning battle. I time it so it looks like I win, then just teleport away. XD

Her0Noi5e

Smash Cadet
I only taunt with Greninja, his up taunt feels like a shake off lol.

Also Marios side taunt is cool when its for game. Other then that, I taunt when I feel I deserve or worked for a stock

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
I am so used to playing against CPUs that I always taunt unintentionally after a KO. I didn't really realize it till an online opponent started doing it back.

That being said, it's part of the game and you shouldn't be offended by it if an enemy does taunt you.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Hmm.. I don't like taunting after a kill. It makes me feel like a jerk. I don't care if someone else does it. I guess internally I sort of feel annoy when they do.

Only time I taunt is when I do something stupid and SD or something hilarious happens like bad lag among friends. I remember this one time, I fought this guy name Keeb and he normally beats me in the matchup. Of course, I didn't care since I was messing around with different characters. But that time, I was using Lucina and accidentally SD. Came back and taunt "I cannot lose". End up winning the match ( I didn't taunt at the end though. Like I said, it isn't my style).

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
After I get a kill. I often do it after I clear a level in Classic as well.

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
I've always taunted with :4zelda:'s up taunt whenever I get a star KO. I time it so that the star "ping" happens at the same time as the star on top of my hand.

The only other way I normally taunt is her down taunt whenever my opponent self-destructs. (the waving goodbye one) I have to admit I love using this one against :4littlemac: since 9/10 times he dies by not making it back to the stage, rather than exploding off the side. Not that it counts as a SD... it's just funny to see.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
If I'm at KO ranges...I avoid taunting.

If I'm not sure that I can win it, I avoid taunting.

If I was on a losing streak beforehand against the player, I avoid taunting.

Otherwise, after a KO.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Always taunt. Chances are if someone takes you way too seriously and gets mad about it, they'll play worse.

It's all about throwing people off in my opinion.

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
I use Show me your moves at the start of a match and I use come on when I'm at a ridiculously high percentage kind of like Tyler Durden in fight club when he's smiling and bleeding.

Avarice_Shadow

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2466-2105-5640
Depends on my mood or who I play. Usually I don't taunt, after I get a kill I'll just stand there and not move because it looks elegant for Marth. When I do taunt its either because the opponent taunted me or I'm trying to intentionally piss them off as a sign of disrespect. If I play Peach though, I'm using her side taunt because I find it hilarious.

Daytrip

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1289-9366-3729
Personally hate it when someone taunts after I accidentally SD, and they're still losing.
As for me, I only taunt, if some arrogant smasher decides to taunt me, and ends up getting bodied.

(Taunting definitely gets me pretty salty)

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I taunt in the middle of my fights while my opponents still alive.

why?

Because I can still shoot the can as DHD and laugh at you at the same time. Don't look at me, its a strategy.

Last edited:

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
:4robinm:: Let's tip the scales!
:4lucina:: Mask
:4duckhunt:: :chuckle:
:4pacman:: Up or Down taunt
:4gaw:: Side
:4drmario:: Side or Down taunt
:4palutena:: Pole Dancing! :awesome:

I usually taunt after a KO, but if I knock someone back a ton but not offscreen, my trigger finger gets the better of me.

Shulkasaurus

Smash Rookie
I taunt after I get a cheeky kill. This gets in the opponents head, enraging them, then allowing me to get defensive reads.

TLDR: there is some usefulness in taunting

Spirst

I personally love using :4greninja:'s ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ taunt. You can incorporate his taunts into shadow sneak if you begin the shadow sneak and then taunt after. He'll do his taunt but will follow through with the shadow sneak if you release it. You can also cancel his taunt at any point by doing this.

Avarice_Shadow

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2466-2105-5640
I personally love using :4greninja:'s ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ taunt. You can incorporate his taunts into shadow sneak if you begin the shadow sneak and then taunt after. He'll do his taunt but will follow through with the shadow sneak if you release it. You can also cancel his taunt at any point by doing this.
That is pretty sneaky. I can only imagine an opponent running in to punish, only to get hit.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I taunt if its safe. Now that the KO shot is marked by lightning, it's safer than ever.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I taunt whenever I take a stock, and only because I'm unable to reach through the screen to give my opponent the finger.

I'm playing to win, so if I can do something to throw my opponent off their game and make an easy win even easier, then I will.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
In For Glory? No. I'm not sure why, but I'd prefer to just let the stock/match be done with and move on to the next one. I'm not sure how to really word it. It just feels kinda mean to taunt after winning/taking a stock, since they probably tried really hard to win too.
I'll use taunts whenever I feel like it when it isn't serious, though. :laugh:

Chocobo Link

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4253-3960-6377
I've grown a nasty habit of taunting after I take a stock since my days in Melee. My friend calls me out on it when we play Brawl and I mostly don't even realize I taunted until he tells me

It seems the habit has carried over into Smash 3DS, unfortunately....

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
How else would the enemy know whether or not I'm really feeling it?

lunarum

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4055-3233-5833
I taunt whenever I get a kill off an opponent I'm particularly salty with, because it feels like an achievement. And also whenever the opponent starts off the match with a taunt.
There was one beautiful moment, however, when I played as :4falcon:vs :4falcon: and we started the match with some beautifully synchronized "Show me your moves!"

pezaddict

Smash Lord
I do this out of habit after a kill - it's just something my friends and I do. Nobody's really doing it to insult anyone unless they say it is (Pit's "you're not ready yet!" in Brawl was like that sometimes).

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I taunt when I EARN that KO. If my opponent dies by botching his recovery, I just crouch by the edge as if saying "I'm sorry".
When my opponent wrecks me with style, I crouch a few times to say "nice work".
If I botch my recovery, I crouch for a few seconds in shame.

MisterVisceral

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistervisceral
3DS FC
3153-4184-3244
I like to taunt at the beginning of a match. It's like a bow. Sometimes other people don't have the same habits. Like this Samus I just played against. She had a weird taunt where she would charge up her laser or fire some projectile. It was real weird, you know?

I also swing my hammer whenever my hammer makes a kill. And Roy's up taunt makes for a nice LAWL.

Riggy Rascal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-5630-4667
For the most part, no. The only time I've ever taunted an opponent was right after some guy did upon thinking I was going to lose. When I turned the tables, it just felt like the right thing to do.

Plus, have you SEEN Villager's side taunt? Coupled with the right color/model, it's one of the cutest things in the game, hands down.

Naw, but seriously, taunting anyone after most circumstances makes me feel like a scumbag. I try to avoid it.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
:4shulk:: "I'M REALLY FEELING IT!"

I do it often enough that I get "taunt-locked".

Top Bottom