• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think Smash is a real fighter?

Darkslash

Smash Master
A lot of you here comparing Smash to traditional fighters don't seem to know a lot about fighters at all. Most players of one traditional fighter usually play other games. Look at top qualifiers for tourneys of different games (helps if they're the same region), and you'll see the same names in many of the games. But how many competitive Smashers play other fighters? I always had the feeling it was a lot less. Most Halo (Failo, Gaylo, Fisher Price: My First FPS, whatever you wanna call it) players probably played Halo before other FPS's, so they end up thinking it's the greatest FPS in the world when it's probably mediocre at best. Smash is definitely more than mediocre, but how many of you actually play other fighters seriously enough to compare? I don't mean playing a little GG and MVC2 with your friends; I mean tried to take time to go on-line, learn the game, watched some pro match videos, and find serious players to play against?
Well played some Soul Cal II on the Ps2 so i couldn't play link.... and it's really mostly button mashing for me that is :laugh:. I always pulled these combos out of pure luck...... but for Smash I failed when I button smash so for me Smash is more of the Elite type of Fighter. Seeing that there is no Life bar can make this game more competitive and has no place for people who relax when they see a opponents life bar at 10%

ElementSun

Smash Cadet
Smash isn't a real fighter, but that doesn't mean it sucks.

In fact, I despise fighter games. Super Smash, on the other hand, has a certain element to it that just attracts my attention.

tinyul

Smash Rookie
imo, its the only 'real' fighter, no offence tekken and sf..

the only fighting game that i could play with friends for hours on end.. 24/7

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I personally think it's more of a fighter than most games can hope to be. Things like, moving stages, edges, recovery, percentages, and the most advanced aerial combat of any fighter make smash a VERY deep fighter. but not completely comparable to "traditional fighters"

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Come on folks, let's be real here.... it's no Tekken or Street Fighter. But let's think for a minute would you REALLY call this a real fighter?

Scrubs are, aren't they!? =D

This game has more depth than other fighters, and if you couldn't figure that out, you're bat **** crazy.

MRX

Smash Cadet
Smash series is not a real fighting game. It's a hybrid fighting game or a party fighting game. Not the typical fighting game as what the genre defines therefore cannot be the clique' fighting game. However, it also fits into the platformer since Adventure mode and Sub-Space have platforming elements as well as much as a crossover. To say that Smash is a full fighting game forgets that the overall package is more than a fighting game. Sorry guys, but the fighting is a "hybrid" from traditional fighting games.

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
Well played some Soul Cal II on the Ps2 so i couldn't play link.... and it's really mostly button mashing for me that is :laugh:. I always pulled these combos out of pure luck...... but for Smash I failed when I button smash so for me Smash is more of the Elite type of Fighter. Seeing that there is no Life bar can make this game more competitive and has no place for people who relax when they see a opponents life bar at 10%
That's exactly the problem I was stating. Yes, you have PLAYED SC2, but that doesn't mean you played it SERIOUSLY. You admitted that you picked up the game and started button mashing. Obviously you're not going to get depth out of the game from that; that's why we call it DEPTH because it doesn't exist at the surface. Depth comes from being part of the community, playing other serious players, going online and checking out the forums, research on combos, tactics, wakeup games, mindgames, pressure games, zoning games, etc. What would you say to someone who says that Smash has no competitive depth? You'd tell them that there's a whole community out there, and plenty of advanced tactics not visible at the surface.

they certainly do have depth,. both are great games in their own rights. but i believe smash to be the much deeper game.
I would love for people making these claims to try to back it up with a few sentences of some sort. And not things like "smash has a different life bar!" or "the combo system is different!" or "the stages aren't all the same!". This is more of why Smash is unique, not deeper.

Back to the original point... I wouldn't say Smash has more depth than other fighters; it's difficult to say what games have depth and what don't. Games I always discard as being shallow and uninteresting still have decent followings (Dead or Alive, Mortal Kombat to name a couple), and there might be more to the game than I see. It's not always fair to make a quick assumption about game without taking the time to seriously learn it; how can you call a game shallow when you've never ventured into its depths?

Giga Hand

Smash Journeyman
I'd put it under a new category: Platform Fighter. Also, how many fighting games have 2 giant floating hands as bosses? Heck, how many regular fighting games even HAVE bosses?

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
I'd put it under a new category: Platform Fighter. Also, how many fighting games have 2 giant floating hands as bosses? Heck, how many regular fighting games even HAVE bosses?
Almost all fighters have bosses in single player mode. I can't think of one that doesn't, actually, but maybe someone else can.

squarez

Smash Apprentice
Everyone needs to stop saying that either Smash is a better fighter or MVC, Tekken, CvS2, SFA3 etc. are better fighters. Each game listed is very different, and each game has high levels of competition which make them all great fighting games. I've played tekken, mvc2, cvs2, and smash, they both have their advanced techniques, their uniqueness and creative combos... so with that being said, people need to stop making these threads just to argue about this. Each of these games have it's own highly competitive community, so all of these games can get very competitive. (SWF, tekkenzaibatsu, shoryuken) People should just stop saying "have you played this or played that at a high level" Heck even VF5 and soul caliber can be made very competitive, and each game has it's own merits.
So in conclusion yes, its a very different type of fighting game.

Edit: Essentially I agree with jimiisama, every game has depth that you might not even know about. Try googling or youtubing videos of high level play in any fighting game and you will find some crazy things that you would have never known existed.

NeuralScan

Smash Cadet
Smash is a fighting game, it just does it differently - as has already been stated a lot in the thread.

It's a lot more flexible however, and that allows it to cater to a wider audience. More variation in modes, able to handle up to 4 players, more 'party' style options (items, hazardous stages), and a kind of unique and open background as opposed to say the Street Fighter or Tekken universe, where it's all self-contained. At Smash's core is still the heart of a fighting game, though.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I say this thread is nothing but 10 pages of a successful troll.
Or an idiot that incorrectly worded what he said.
Either way, IDK how 10 pages came outa this.

Thino

Smash Master
Smash is clearly a party game , just like Mario Partie and such , I mean 4 players, Items,...

the only thing that makes it even remotely look like a fighter is Stamina Mode

Gindler

Smash Champion
It's a party fighter. What other fighter game can you use more than 2 people in? Only 3 come to mind...super smash 64, super smash melee, and now super smash brawl.

RWB

Smash Ace
It's a party fighter. What other fighter game can you use more than 2 people in? Only 3 come to mind...super smash 64, super smash melee, and now super smash brawl.
Onimusha Blade Warriors. There's no single gaming site that calls it anything other than a fighting game. Yet the game is basically a much worse Smash Bros(Right down to items and everything). The only difference is that OBW uses a life bar.

Onimusha Blade Warriors = Serious Samurais and Ninjas duking it out. Noone dare argue it's not a fighter.
SSB series = OMG Nintendo characters duking it out party game fer sure...

...Smash is a Fighter.

Top Bottom