• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think Smash is a real fighter?

T-Nice

Smash Cadet
Come on folks, let's be real here.... it's no Tekken or Street Fighter. But let's think for a minute would you REALLY call this a real fighter?

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
The games premise is to defeat your opponent through combat

the game has characters with different movesets

The game has a thriving tournament community

It's definitely a real fighter in my eyes.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I disagree. This game is definitely a figment of our imagination. We are all experiencing a severe and prolonged mass hallucination that will one day melt into a pool of madness in which we will all drown.

Actual answer:

Define "real." No lifebar, the conditions for defeating an opponent are different, the way movesets are handled are different, the controller layout and mechanics are almost all completely different.

However, there is strategy, there is prediction, there is technical skill, there is a mass of game knowledge to collect and understand, there is a tournament scene, and there is a developed meta-game.

Which would you say is more important in calling it a "real" fighter?

Galvanic

Smash Journeyman
It's multiple games. The multi player is, of course, a fighter. The same goes with the Classic mode.

Subspace, on the other hand, looks to me like a cross between a beat-em-up style game and a platformer. I haven't seen much of it, though--

There's also other modes like target test and home run; those fall under different categories. It's more like a many-game-in-one pack than anything else, methinks.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Maybe if you play stamina mode.

It's not a real fighter, it's different.

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
[irony="ON"]I'd put it in the same category as Big Brain Academy: it's a first person shooter with RPG elements.[/irony]

What else would you call it if not a fighter game? You are beating someone up. I think, a game doesn't need that much more to be called a fighter game. Combos like the ones in Dead or Alive would ruin the simplicity of the game, but it's still a fighter game. And it's way, waaaaaay more fun than any other game!

Replacement100

Smash Apprentice
I'm gunna have to say a Fantasy Romance Simualtion/Puzzle game with the core mechanics of an RTS.

/fail

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
A real fighter is just that, a fighter, nothing else.

Brawl is:

A platformer (SSE.)
A party game (FFAs.)
A fighting game (Competitive play.)
Break the Targets and Home Run Contest I dunno but it sure as hell isn't fighting.

How many of you HAVE played a real fighting game anyway?

Andromeda

Smash Lord
if you consider games like Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter to be real fighting-games, then smash is obviously not one of them. But it's a fighting-game, but of a different type.

Gaplka

Smash Cadet
It exists on the physical plane and it is based on fighting your opponents in many forms of combat so is therefore a real fighter.

And although it has no standardized Fighting Game elements it's a unique fighter. Now everyone stop talking or Gerard Way will come to your house and suck your blood.

^_^x Yashiro

Smash Rookie
Smash is not a classic fighting-game like Street fighter or The King of Fighters, is different.

Eaode

Smash Champion
I love how people think tha because it doesn't have a health bar its not a real fighter. Or because it has more options it's not a real fighter. Or because it has additional mini-games (<-LOL)

Seriously. You're playing on a set stage, fighting against your opponent with characters that have unique movesets from eachother. The goal is to defeat your opponent. That is a fighting game.

omiz144

Smash Apprentice

Brawl is:

A platformer (SSE.)
A party game (FFAs.)
Break the Targets and Home Run Contest I dunno but it sure as hell isn't fighting.

No, a real fighter is any sort of game with fighting. A TRADITIONAL FIGHTER is something without any real creativity. Life bar, combo meter. Smash is a fighting game, there is absolutely no other way to describe it.

And FFAs are most certainly fighting, and not party. There is even more strategy and fighting involved in those.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
No, a real fighter is any sort of game with fighting. A TRADITIONAL FIGHTER is something without any real creativity. Life bar, combo meter. Smash is a fighting game, there is absolutely no other way to describe it.

And FFAs are most certainly fighting, and not party. There is even more strategy and fighting involved in those.
A FFA including items and everything is more of a party game then a fighting game....

omiz144

Smash Apprentice
Nooooooo.

Not all fighting games are the sameeeeeee.

It's simply a different kind of fighter.

I guess this is simply IMO....

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
There is no right answer, because the definition of "real fighters" are created by opinion. Opinions =/= facts. I could sit here and say Street Fighter isn't a fighter because it has specials. All a matter of opinion.

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
Someone should change the topic to "Do you think Smash is a real Beat'em Up?" But then again, this thread would be senseless, cuz it definitely is.

PokemonLegacy

Smash Apprentice
There was an article in last months EGM like this. (Electronic Games Mag)
Anyway, as long as fists make contact, its a fighter. Its like shopping for Dog Food. You could get the crappy storebrand (Tekken, Street Fighter), or you could get them a deluxe brand(Smash Bros.). A vague point, but it gets the Message across.

Piratey_Critter

Smash Apprentice

A traditional fighter is something without any real creativity? Are you ****ting me?

I guess you've never played 3rd Strike, or Guilty Gear, or CVS2, or MVC2. If you ask me, those games are just as interesting and competitive as smash. Guilty Gear and MVC2 are possibly more competitive than smash. They all have unique mechanics and what-not (parries and kara throws in 3rd Stike, bursts, jump installs/cancels roman cancels, faultless defence, and much more in Guilty Gear, and lots of other stuff in the other two as well), so I don't know what makes them less "creative" than Smash.

Just because they all share the life bars, doesn't mean anything. Also, the combo meter isn't some static thing that's the same in every game. In 3rd Stike you're limited to which super art you pick at the start of the match, which adds counter-picking possibilities beyond simple characters. In Guilty Gear you have a tension meter, and burst meter, which both act in different ways, not to mention the unique meters many characters have. In CVS there are multiple "grooves" you can pick from at the start of a match which totally change how your meter works.

I just spent way to much time writing this. My point is, don't imply traditional fighters are worse, or less creative than smash just because they all have health bars. You clearly don't know much about them.

Anyways, I do think Smash is a fighter. It's an usual one for sure, but it's still a fighter.

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
I guess you've never played 3rd Strike, or Guilty Gear, or CVS2, or MVC2. If you ask me, those games are just as interesting and competitive as smash. Guilty Gear and MVC2 are possibly more competitive than smash. They all have unique mechanics and what-not, so I don't know what makes them less "creative" than Smash.
Cuz it's like the fighters are having way too less animations ^^ at least in GG and MVC2. And I don't get the game. The moves are so fast and you have to enter the controls so quick that I can't keep up when I play against a cpu. The only few times I played the game, I was the pure button masher. Maybe a [human] trainer could help me with those kinda sprite-fighting-games..
I know, this is no real reason. What I call an uncreative fighter game is Virtua Fighter 4 or whatever it was, on the pc. I couldn't find out any moves at all, and at that time I couldn't even find a faq somewhere.

Piratey_Critter

Smash Apprentice
Cuz it's like the fighters are having way too less animations ^^ at least in GG and MVC2. And I don't get the game. The moves are so fast and you have to enter the controls so quick that I can't keep up when I play against a cpu. The only few times I played the game, I was the pure button masher. Maybe a [human] trainer could help me with those kinda sprite-fighting-games..
I know, this is no real reason. What I call an uncreative fighter game is Virtua Fighter 4 or whatever it was, on the pc. I couldn't find out any moves at all, and at that time I couldn't even find a faq somewhere.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of 3d fighters, but I understand why people like them I guess...

Were you using a pad? Those games are made for arcade sticks, so the inputs are usually harder on a controller. They aren't button mashers though.

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
I disagree. This game is definitely a figment of our imagination. We are all experiencing a severe and prolonged mass hallucination that will one day melt into a pool of madness in which we will all drown.
Giygas. :v

This sort of mistaken identity can only happen from gamers in these early generations. I mean, seriously, how do you kids come up with this stuff? Comparing Smash to other traditional fighters is like comparing Metroid Prime series to the Halo series. Similar, sure. The same? Hell. No. But, most of the people who have posted before me have more then well proven this point. Yes, Smash is a fighter. Not traditional, but still a fighter.

I gotta give this OP :urg::urg::urg::urg: out of :urg::urg::urg::urg::urg: on my urg-ometer.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion

Brawl is:

A platformer (SSE.)
A party game (FFAs.)

I'll admit that Smash Bros isn't JUST a real fighter. It has plenty of game modes from other genres as well. Kinda like how the adventure mode in Soul Calibur III is a turn based strategy game. Or the puzzle and kart racing mini games in modern Mortal Combats.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
It exists, and it's classified in the fighting genre...

Real-fighting game

Smashless

Smash Apprentice
well, i guess by the classical definition it isn't. if anyone thinks that that makes it somehow "unworthy" or to be looked down upon, they should reconsider.

Diggerzz

Smash Cadet
for me its a party beat em up, but everyone tries to force thegame to be a fighter and complains about every aspect which isn't normal for a fightin game.

Top Bottom