• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think Smash is a real fighter?

worm

Smash Cadet
I guess a "real fighter" is a game where every characters' moves consist of light/medium/strong punches and kicks and special moves are 10-button codes that you enter.

Smash is a much higher level fighter than those games (Street Fighter, Tekken, etc.) because there is so much more strategy and skill involved.

Diggerzz

Smash Cadet
i dont wanna say that it isn't a fighting game but ...u know street fighter and tekken or mortal kombat are real fightin games to me... with these sucky 20 button combos and every char has like millions of them. when guys never use items and reduce stage choice to about 3 of 25 i think something just isn't right

MasterRaichu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EddieJ86
3DS FC
2337-4950-9512
for me its a party beat em up, but everyone tries to force thegame to be a fighter and complains about every aspect which isn't normal for a fightin game.
I hate it when people force it to be a party game :dizzy:

But seriously, it's absolutely a fighting game. It's not what one would consider a Traditional Fighter, but it's still a fighting game. And I disagree with the guy that said traditional fighters lack creativity, he's totally wrong. Lets not forget that those fighting games that came before gave the developers the basis to create the Smash Bros formula. Show some respect. ;)

LuLLo

Smash Ace
@ EVERYONE who compares Smash Bros with Tekken and Street Fighter...

So even if Smash hasn't got a lifebar, is a lifebar a Standard for fighting games?

Mario Bros was (one of?) the first platformers, it set the standard for platformers and 2-d games...
So every platformer WITHOUT Item-Blocks actually isn't a platformer? Because it doesn't meet the standards that have been set...anyway, that's how you folks are comparing, Smash doesn't have a life-bar like Tekken and Street Fighter, thus it isn't a fighter...

It's like comparing the internet with television...the TV is a media/entertainment source, and it has a remote control, but the internet has a mouse, so it isn't a media/entertainment source...that's bull...

Smash is a whole new genre on it's own...it DIDN'T need to follow any standards other fighter games have set, it's a unique game and shouldn't be compared to any other game.

Like JellyBelly said:

The games premise is to defeat your opponent through combat

the game has characters with different movesets

The game has a thriving tournament community

Smash is a fighter, it's a party game, it's a collecting game (trophies), it's a single player with co-op platformer, it's all kinds of genres packed together in a unique game, but the Fighting part stands out the most, and you CAN'T tell me that putting in a button combination with one finger makes you feel better than combo-ing your opponent with home-made combo's into a finisher...

Seriously, what's better, give the opponent a knee in the stomach and watch him drop onto the ground screaming, or setting up your opponent, which means throw him down, neutral air, up air, neutral air, run towards him, he goes screaming because he knows what's coming, an deliver a well packed Knee to him, BANG, he flies like a rocket to his doom...man, even when you just type it down it already sounds better...

Fossilized Ursidae

Smash Apprentice

You can see by the release date that I have been using this image for a while

Brawl is an action game. The action you usually partake in happens to be fighting.

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
That's SARCASM, not Irony. lol.
I know, but there's no support for sarcasm-tags in this board software. It's too risky, because it's sometimes misread as "dead serious"...;)

But I'd really be interested in what else mr. threadstarter thought it could be.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
Melee is, search for melee combo videos in youtube. Here I searched for you:
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=smash+melee+combo&search_sort=video_view_count&page=1

Yes, its a fox video "Shined Blind"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=44CRrJVhUIo

Samus: "Pure Nastyness"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vQ4dziEre6Y

Ice Climbers: "Frost Bite"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dZYUsyDYxAc

Mario:
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=smash+melee+combo&search_sort=video_view_count&page=1

I like Kirby:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mrfcHNjhr_Y&feature=related

(these videos were result of random quick youtube searching)

Brawl will be also!

Pokemon Trainer ***** Ike:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lvZl7VAaxlw

Well those are videos I found on the spot, theres more if you look around.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
when guys never use items and reduce stage choice to about 3 of 25 i think something just isn't right
it's not 3 of 25 stages. stop being ignorant.

and once you use your brain, this actually puts it close to the traditional fighters.

Brawl is an action game. The action you usually partake in happens to be fighting.
i knew somebody was going to point something out that's on the site, but... it doesnt really change anything competitively.

Fighting = trying to inflict damage to an opponent to lead to a knockout or a resolve where the person fighting the person in question wins.
Smash = pure awesome.
How dare you try to fight the pure awesomeness!

Diggerzz

Smash Cadet
everybody knows smash just isn't classic fighting game and it seems like even the creates don' think so but if you know better than the guys who made the game you must be right. u competetive guys are so ****in intolerant

Ageman20XX

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to point out that it's very uninformed and kind of childish for people to be arguing over whether or not Smash is a "real fighter".

Of course it's a real fighter - it's certainly not imaginary. >_<

The wording the original post as well as what everyone is arguing about is kind of...well...lame. I think the biggest deal is that work "real". What does it mean? Real should mean whether or not it actually exists or in our imagination - and we all know the answer to that.

I think the REAL question and the wording that SHOULD have been used, is this:

Is Smash a traditional fighter?

The answer to that is obviously no - it's totally different. But it's still a fighter, and claiming that Smash "isn't a real fighter" is not only a n00bish assumption, it's also rude and has a very negative connotation.

Is Smash real? Of course. Is it traditional? No.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
It's a dating sim with platforming sections. There's also a rhythm game with ZSS, but they can't get it into the US version due to naughtyness.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Its just a fighter with a different concept
This.

I think most of sf/tekken/vf experts call SSBB "just a party game" is because they never really played it competitively so they assume it isn't really competitive.

I think it is a good fighter but just unique. And I would consider myself a VF/Tekken player mainly.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
lol if they think smash is nothing but a joke, then let's see them beat some of the pros.

seriously, does it hurt to do a little more THINKING in a fighting game?

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Of course not. It's something far better. It's a platformer, it's a sports game, it's a fighter, it's a fun game for people who don't like memorizing dial a combos, and it feels a whole lot more natural compared to other fighters. So yes it's a real fighter but it's more than a real fighter. And in general it has better characters and a more diverse cast than any other fighting game I have seen excluding Marvel Vs. Capcom. Even then it's a close call.

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
Smash is a lot of things. It's probably meant to be played as a party game, having up to four players fight it out at the same time, in sometimes crazy stages, with random items. I mean, that was the initial appeal since N64 days, as far as I can remember.

Although the more people are exposed to tournament play and tournament rules, the more people perceive Smash as a traditional fighter.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
This is why stereotypes don't always work. It's like trying to classify a skunk as a cat or a dog. You and a friend can argue about this till your faces turn blue, but in the end you'll both come home smelling putrid.

I would classify it as a fighter because it operates on the same system as Virtua Fighter, except that you have no stamina bar. Thus, the only way to win is by ring out.

If Smash were a fighting style, it would be "Sumo." Lots of fun, full of tradition, but generally looked down by "serious" martial arts styles, like Boxing, Kung Fu, Juijitsu, and other styles that end in "-su." However, you can't really define Sumo as much of anything else, therefore it's a fighting style. The same would be true for Smash as well. It really doesn't fit into other categories, so it has to be a fighter.

If anything I think it's uniqueness offers much more freedom to explore other "types" of games to give players more to do, something that Tekken and Soul Calibur have had little success in. Smash can play as a platform/beat-em-up game pretty easily, while still adhereing to the rules of it's standard gameplay. Other fighters that have tried this generally have a harder time, because it usually involves changing the gameplay more dramatically.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
yes i would call this a real fighter, there are characters fighting each other..hence; fighter.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Of course. Its a game based around fighting matches. Thats what a fighting game is. What the hell else would it be? A platformer? Maybe if it were based around Subspace Emissary - but its not, thats just a bonus mode. A "party game?" Even if we ignore that that isn't an actual genre, since when were party games based entirely around fighting, rather than a bunch of mini-games? No, its definitely a fighting game. Just because it uses a different system to resolve combat and doesn't use inanely-elaborate button combinations to pull off attacks doesn't change that in the least, it just makes a more unique fighting game rather than a traditional one.

Zevox

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
It kinda seems more real because it's not so tethered like the other fighting games. As in you're not stuck facing your opponent or only being able to back away slowly. The boundaries are a lot farther away and seems more reasonable. Overall it is a fighter, and a deep one at that, but of course different from more "traditional" fighters.

Crazy Ace 01

Smash Apprentice
Come on folks, let's be real here.... it's no Tekken or Street Fighter. But let's think for a minute would you REALLY call this a real fighter?
What the hell else could you classify it as?

A platformer-beatemup-shooter trophy-collecting-simulator? Come on.

Characters + on a stage + fighting = fighter. End of story.

The series certainly has a unique take on fighting games, but it falls well within the fighting genre. Obviously.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I'll call Smash a fighting game, but I still refuse to call Metroid Prime a first person shooter.

Top Bottom