• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think Smash is a real fighter?

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
well if you have characters fighting as the whole concept of the game, then yes it is a fighter. Much in the same way a game that puts you in first person and has you shoot things makes it a first person shooter.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
well if you have characters fighting as the whole concept of the game, then yes it is a fighter. Much in the same way a game that puts you in first person and has you shoot things makes it a first person shooter.
You did that intentionally, didn't you.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
This is why stereotypes don't always work. It's like trying to classify a skunk as a cat or a dog. You and a friend can argue about this till your faces turn blue, but in the end you'll both come home smelling putrid.
That was a horrible analogy. Mainly since identification of what a skunk is realted to is kinda silly considering its in its own family.
If you mean comparison as to its relative I believe they are related to cats.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Oblivion is in first-person and you can shoot arrows, but that doesn't really make it a FPS. And Metroid Prime is more appropriately called a "first-person adventure" (FPA), because the game is an adventure game first, FPS second.

But if you really want to get technical, you should classify Metroid Prime as a "first-person awesome," because that's what it is. :cool:

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Smash is a real fighter but it's a real party fighter. It's not a traditional fighter like tekken or SF cause they're not all that jumpy and the main way of winning in fighters is to reduce you opponents life , not ring him out (some don't even include that as an option).

Doesn't mean it's a bad thing that it's not a traditional fighter though...since it's much more fun than most of em (except tekken and DOA ).

King3De

Smash Rookie
I think it is a fighter game. its just different from most but its very awesome to play.

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
its a different type of fighting game every fighting game is different but smash is unique

Ichida

Smash Ace
Come on folks, let's be real here.... it's no Tekken or Street Fighter. But let's think for a minute would you REALLY call this a real fighter?
Yes. It's also a platformer-style adventure game, but a fighter nonetheless.

Ageman20XX

Smash Apprentice
This topic is getting so ******** I think I need to repeat myself...

I'd like to point out that it's very uninformed and kind of childish for people to be arguing over whether or not Smash is a "real fighter".

Of course it's a real fighter - it's certainly not imaginary. >_<

The wording the original post as well as what everyone is arguing about is kind of...well...lame. I think the biggest deal is that word "real". What does it mean? Real should mean whether or not it actually exists or in our imagination - and we all know the answer to that.

I think the REAL question and the wording that SHOULD have been used, is this:

Is Smash a traditional fighter?

The answer to that is obviously no - it's totally different. But it's still a fighter, and claiming that Smash "isn't a real fighter" is not only a n00bish assumption, it's also rude and has a very negative connotation.

Is Smash real? Of course. Is it traditional? No.

Ichida

Smash Ace
I would have assumed that was fairly obvious. Also, if that had been the topic title this thread would be less than half as big as it is. False advertising = confusion.

Mediator

Smash Journeyman
I Believe Super Smash Brothers isnt A Fighter!

I believe it deserves its own genre Called Smash

So! Super Smash Brothers Isnt a corny, boring, button mashing fighter it is a Smash!

or it can be simply called nintendo's interpretation of a fighting game

I personally like nintendo's interpretation

DragonRider-ofSmashBros

Smash Apprentice
Grinnell, IA...... or something like that
Id call it a more than real fighter. There is interactive stages, you can move more than back in forth in a rectangle of space, and every character has a different set if moves other than "Punch, Kick, Low Kick, High Kick, and maybe a special move" Nintendo has to be doing something right with this kind of fighter, because no one else can pull it off. Check out Small Arms and Digimon Rumble Arena

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
It's a fighting game it's not a traditional Fighting game it's pretty well got it's own category but it is a fighting game and i like it more than Tekken and SF.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Oh no, you can jump, knock people off-screen, and use items. Smash is no fighter at all! Never mind all the combat involved!

What kind of question is that?

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
Even someone with a good process of elimination could figure this one out.

First person shooter? No.

Role Playing Game? Erm, not really.

Puzzle? No.

Fighter? Bingo.

The only other genre that it is close to being would in a way be adventure, but the majority is fighting.

Umm The Hobo

Smash Cadet
Of course it is a fighter! You... fight people in it. There are normal attacks, special attacks, blocks, grabs, and everything else except a health bar. The percentage system isn't really all that different from a health bar when you think about it, it just adds another level of complexity.

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
A lot of you here comparing Smash to traditional fighters don't seem to know a lot about fighters at all. Most players of one traditional fighter usually play other games. Look at top qualifiers for tourneys of different games (helps if they're the same region), and you'll see the same names in many of the games. But how many competitive Smashers play other fighters? I always had the feeling it was a lot less. Most Halo (Failo, Gaylo, Fisher Price: My First FPS, whatever you wanna call it) players probably played Halo before other FPS's, so they end up thinking it's the greatest FPS in the world when it's probably mediocre at best. Smash is definitely more than mediocre, but how many of you actually play other fighters seriously enough to compare? I don't mean playing a little GG and MVC2 with your friends; I mean tried to take time to go on-line, learn the game, watched some pro match videos, and find serious players to play against?

raymanbud714

Smash Journeyman
No... this is not a "real" fighter... ITS A BETTER FIGHTER! face it. easy to use combat, you can move around at your free will instead of always facing your opponent like your so called "real" fighters. and has way more characters and an actual GOOD single player.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
It'd not a traditional fighter by any means. But IMO that's exactly what makes it better. IMO Smash feels deeper and more fun than any other fighter I've ever played. If it's not a real fighter then it's something better than a "real fighter"

NDUDE

Smash Ace
It's a real fighter, but it's not a traditional fighter. For instance, Sonic on the Genesis and Mario on the NES are both platformers, but neither are quite the same at all. You can't really compare SSB to, say, Soul Calibur, and ask if it's a "real" fighter.

HappyBirthday

Smash Cadet
[irony="ON"]I'd put it in the same category as Big Brain Academy: it's a first person shooter with RPG elements.[/irony]

What else would you call it if not a fighter game? You are beating someone up. I think, a game doesn't need that much more to be called a fighter game. Combos like the ones in Dead or Alive would ruin the simplicity of the game, but it's still a fighter game. And it's way, waaaaaay more fun than any other game!
you raise a good point and i like the big brain academy joke, but that is not in anyway irony

also my response is that it is fighting game until there are enough games like smash for their to be a new genre referred to as smash games

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
It's a real fighter to me when played competitively.

When played on all stages with items, I don't consider that as being a fighter. You can disagree, I just don't think of it that way.

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
All of you've said the same exact thing. Try actually discussing rather than saying "It is!" and "it isn't!". 80% of the threads here are way too long and mostly comprised of one-line, same-as-the-last posts.

shortwanabelaker

Smash Journeyman
(in response to creator)

even tho thers been a ton of flames.. its a good question

and by real i assume u mean typical.. so id say no its not.. it sjus ta lot better

shortwanabelaker

Smash Journeyman
(in response to creator)

even tho thers been a ton of flames.. its a good question

and by real i assume u mean typical.. so id say no its not.. it sjus ta lot better

altir

Smash Apprentice
third person shooter

first person shooter

beat-em-up

fighter

RPG (compleat with power ups)

sports

it's all sorts 'o things.

iMichael

Smash Lord
punches, kicks, uppercuts, roundhouses, headbutts, drop kicks...nah this isn't a fighter. Of course its a "fighter" Nintendo even states it as a fighter on their website. Smash is a unique fighter....all that other s*** is sugar-coated and watered down(Mortal Kombat, SF etc.)

Top Bottom