• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you play Stock or Timed???

Machineking1313

Smash Cadet
I always play stock. Time mode can be dumb because in free for all, a guy can just single weak people out and get KOs and once they got the lead just run to hills.

Maben

Smash Journeyman
4 Stock matches, timed matches are just dumb. Example:

You are playing a timed match, both you and your opponent are at 150% damage. You K.O. your opponent and are now winning +1 to -1. If you let him come back and kill you then the score will be equaled back to 0 to 0. It is to your advantage to take the time that he is dying to SD yourself and make the score 0 to -1. Now you are winning by one point and you are both on a new life with 0% damage...it's a dumb system.

Tenkai

Smash Cadet
Maben:

That's why Time must be played with 3 or 4 players.
In 1vs1 duel it's indeed dumb for the reason you mentionned.
But it's different in a Free For All: if you suicide yourself, you'll lose 1 point, and the other players may be able to come back in the game by taking advantage of your one point loss.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I play Stock, playing on Stock helps you practise not losing lives accidentally... it also just makes more sense, and you can tell who is winning. Those losing try harder in the end, and often do quite a bit of damage in their last stock (maybe it's a psychological thing? XD) so Stock FTW!

I usually play 7 Stock matches, not too short and not too long, they never usually go over 7/8 minutes. I think 7 lives is ideal, 'cos when it went to 8 temportarily, we didn't like it much XD

Crystallion

Smash Ace
I prefer stock by far! I don't really like hectic battles, especially when playing Melee, battle's fast enough already.

Nalafein

Smash Cadet
I always play stock, either - 5 stocks, 10 stocks or 20 stocks. is pretty normal. Rarely i play 3 stocks.
But when we are many people that are playing to gether we often play under our custom house rule.
1 stock per character. Winner stands, looser swaps, untill there are only one player left.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I usually play timed, but when me and friends have a tournament we do 2-4 stock battles. I do stock a bit, but I prefer timed, because I can rack up more KOs that way.

Peter_Parker

Smash Cadet
NNID
thomfolk
3DS FC
3368-2346-7128
5 stock. No time.

If there are more than 4 of us, the person who is 1st in stock left automatically stays in, no matter how many kills they get. After that, the person with the least kills has to switch out with whomever did not play the round.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Time is for fun. Stock is for competition.

In time natches, you can kill the opponent once then run away for the rest of the time and still win. You can also kill yourself before you would die to prevent your opponent from gaining points (though you lose 1 of course).
In stocked matches, this bs isn't possible.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
I always play coin mode.

Stock is too cheap in 4 player in that you can run away from the other people fighting and then have all your stocks when the end and no one can win against you. Time is too cheap because people always kill steal right at the last moment. Bonus is pretty awesome because of all the skill that's required but coin is just better.

In Coin mode you don't have the other problems of stock and time so it's a lot more fair. Most of the higher classed tournaments I've competed at used Coin Mode for that reason. From my experience, most tournaments that people take seriously are Coin so it's always best to train under tournament standards like Coin Mode.

/end satire made 4 freakin out teh n00bs.

Link he come to town...

Smash Apprentice
My preference is timed (i make it -2 for SD's so you can't pull *******ery) and often on a fairly small map like fountain of dreams and stuff where you can't really run, my friends prefer stock so that's what i usually end up playing though, seeing as i can play smash for so long regardless, may as well keep other people playing as long as possible too. I expect i will do the same thing in brawl, if only to see the cool slowed down "TIME" at the end of the match. Oh btw i occasionaly play bonus, although it has almost no skill required its still funny to see who wins when youre bored, never play coin though, that mode just annoys me.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Time. It's a lot faster and I find it to remove a lot of gay things you find in stock
-You cant win by camping
-You have to actually fight
-One mistake in time won't hurt you as much
-You can't team up on someone
I do agree with what someone said here. 1v1 and 2v2s are better with stock, and FFAs are better with time.

Boy Wonder

Smash Rookie
Timed all the way, that way everyone is playing at all times. I always hated playing with people who preferred stock. I do 7 or 10 minute battles usually, depending on which character I'm playing with.

More people = more fun

I also enjoy not knowing is winning until the fight is over. Provides a bit of surprise at the end

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
I prefer stock because some of my friends are stupid and they just kill steal and camp if its timed.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I prefer Timed (and Bonus) matches. Usually around 10 mins and maybe higher.

Of course you could say Timed matches is a silly mode, but unless you're playing with another person that is just as competitive as you, having it on a big stage, and that person keeps running away from you after a few KOs, then it's barely a wasted mode. In fact, my sisters get more enjoyment out of time than stock since they'll all be still playing and giving some sort of fighting chance. Really, it just comes down if you are competitive or not. I'm competitive, but I do like to have fun since that's what it was supposed to be played for.

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
This kind of belongs on the melee discussion... but just change the topic name to what will you play. I like stock. Time sucks.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
People play time? lol.

Makes you wonder why the default's always time.

And Bonus is a good way to make noobs think they are winning. It'd be the only way I'd play it with someone.

Coin. Ha.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
stock for me. time takes away from your skill cause at that point, its not who's best that determines who wins, but who can steal the most kills.(**** you ganon and you ^B!)

I sometimes do a little of coin, but the only ones I realy do are decision and stock.(both are dependent on skill)

Top Bottom