• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

do you like Brawl more than Melee? just a quick opinion Check

Do you like Brawl more than Melee so far?

• Yes, Brawl > Melee

Votes: 348 72.2%
  • No, Melee > Brawl

Votes: 66 13.7%
  • Maybe, I've yet to decide

Votes: 68 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I've decided to try out my new membership, and see what's the general first opinions about Brawl, Personally I like it much more than Melee, and have completely stopped playing melee after the first time I've played it.

well, opinions anyone?

Niblet

Smash Cadet
I like it more than Melee. I was casual with a slant towards competitive play. I tried wavedashing and never could do it consistently. It may be selfish, but I am happy Brawl doesn't include many of the things that made Melee, Melee. Also Brawl just has so much more content. I love it.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I was beginning to think that believe Brawl is better than Melee was taboo on this forum.

I think Brawl is better than Melee. *Flamesheild up*

ThaDirtyG

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to say. I loved the technical side of Melee and I don't see it in Brawl. That being said in the last couple weeks techniques have appeared that have greatly increased the pace of gameplay and approach options - though it's still not quite on par with Melee.

I have hope the level of gameplay will continue to rise but, to me, Melee was one of the greatest competitive games ever made so it will be tough to beat. :-)

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
I guess this would make me a "casual***" in Melee players eyes, but I'm glad the technical game is out in Brawl. Sure, we are finding things in Brawl so far, but most of it has been pretty tame, thingsy you can work around. At least in Brawl, you can play with a character, and have a pretty good chance to win, no matter who you pick, rather then persay Melee.

Melee was stuck in a rut that a lot of competitive players hate to admit. Fox, Falco, Marth, Peach, and Captain Falcon. Sure, it's only five of the twenty odd, and sure, sometimes you can beat those pro players with a lower tier character, but really, that's all theory. It would almost be better to say that NO, you cannot beat these characters if used professionally. Hell, with only five characters, it made the metagame feel TINY. Any other character used professionally would have SOME chance, but it was pretty slim, and pretty **** sad.

This fresh restart is what I needed. I haven't pick up Melee in about a year, the last time I went to a competition, and yes, lost. Call me a scrub, call me whatever, quite frankly, I don't care.

And sure, there's a chance that in a matter of time, we will find something gamebreaking, and it might become worse then Melee, but I'll take that chance compared to what is offered currently.

And ****, finally, online mode is a ****ing blessing. I can finally practice with people, abiet the lag can cause issues.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I greatly prefer Brawl over Melee. I've stopped playing Melee entirley and probably won't pick it back up much, if at all.

Bibbed

Smash Journeyman
Melee was stuck in a rut that a lot of competitive players hate to admit. Fox, Falco, Marth, Peach, and Captain Falcon. Sure, it's only five of the twenty odd, and sure, sometimes you can beat those pro players with a lower tier character, but really, that's all theory. It would almost be better to say that NO, you cannot beat these characters if used professionally. Hell, with only five characters, it made the metagame feel TINY. Any other character used professionally would have SOME chance, but it was pretty slim, and pretty **** sad..
Sheik says, "Hi". I, too, love basing entire arguments off incorrect information. We should start a club.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I voted "I've yet to decide" since I haven't played Brawl for more than 30 minutes today since I barely got it last night but I'll have to say Brawl is tight!! so far

bayonettrials

Smash Cadet
Oh god brawl is sooooo much better than melee.

I find myself thinking about my actions alot more in Brawl, while in Melee it felt like twitch movements and button mashing.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Steerclear

Smash Cadet
I've always enjoyed "great equalizers" in this sense. In World of Warcraft, people spent years downing bosses and gearing out characters to get to the end-game content. When the expansion came out, the easiest gear to get in the new world was infinitely better than that of the old world, thus putting everyone on a level playing field again.

That is what Brawl has done, I feel. It's a different game with the same movesets. It just goes to show how much physics can affect such an easy-to-learn game.

Super Smash Bros. is like chess - minutes to learn, a lifetime to master. :)

My vote: BRAWL > MELEE

Eggm

Smash Hero
Oh god brawl is sooooo much better than melee.

I find myself thinking about my actions alot more in Brawl, while in Melee it felt like twitch movements and button mashing.

Has anyone else noticed this?
I"ve noticed the complete opposite. And i've had brawl for 3 weeks prior to the US release, and nearly beat azen I got him to r3 and hes considered one of brawl's best right now so I don't suck. I find myself thinking less, cause theres less options to consider, less mind games, and its just boring. To each his own i guess.

susu_atari

Smash Ace
A lot of people are pissed off that the ATs from Melee have been removed, but Brawl is a different game. New ATs are being discovered, and Brawl is still a competitive game.

Brawl has more to it than Melee, as well. I was never a pro at Melee, so I'm not too miffed with the removal of the techs. Don't get me wrong, I'm good at Smash. I'm no 'scrub' (*shudders*), but I have better things to do than spend all my time getting *really* good at just one game.

But there IS more stuff to do in Brawl. At the moment, for non-pro play more characters, stages and options basically means more fun and more longevity. I was playing Melee for 5 years without ever bothering to practice my wavedashing enough to make it useable in a fight, and I never got bored.

ToMoBoBo

Smash Rookie
I have to say after some 8 or so years of Smashing Bros. I had come to expect a lot more than what Nintendo threw out with this new game. It just seems like when they were developing brawl, the focus was more on making sure the game was easy, and remains easy, above anything else. I was hoping some of the fundamental and stupid easy things that I've complained about would disappear. Like the percentages and character icons at the bottom of the screen, why can't you make them opaque? Maybe that's not a big deal to many of you, but to me it's really annoying.

And that's just the simplest disappointment. Last night I put the game on turbo mode or whatever, the special brawl where you play in fast-motion. It felt like Melee. I had been trying to get used to brawl for about a month and a half, and I stuck Melee in to see if all my complaints about the game being slow and easy were true. It's like I couldn't believe how much faster and more intense the game was, my fingers were moving so fast, the battle was so intense, I missed it. The sound of the wavebirds clicking and clacking was a fury of craziness, nothing like the slow paced ho-hum taps of Brawl.

I just don't get it. I had always held the opinion that Nintendo's games were great because there was so much more than meets the eye. With Brawl, it just doesn't seem like that's the case. What you see is what you get, because Nintendo's now on some dumb *** trip of bringing everyone together, but I'm sorry, your grandma's just not going to get into Smash Bros. Leave it to the pros. Why take out the little things that make Melee what it is? Where's the L-cancel for gods sake?

The only thing that Brawl could have made up for all the flaws would have been the online mode, but guess what, Nintendo screwed that up too. Playing random nameless characters with no ranking, no fun. Lag is awesome, 2 min battles rock. Nintendo's error codes take the cake for fun.

PXG

Smash Journeyman
Brawl >>>>>>> Melee.

I loved Melee, but Brawl is much more balanced and there IS a lot of depth. I think Brawl is going to be more about match ups, than a straight up ranking (tier list) for the characters. Anyone who says this game isn't deep or competitive needs to open their eyes a little bit more.

ObeseNightmare

Smash Cadet
I like it better because almost all the characters are balanced. It's more fun to me. Melee is still probably more competitve, but brawl will get there in time. You have to keep in mind that I play for fun or a little competition with my friends, nothing serious. From a competitve standpoint I agree with the pros who say wavedashing and L-canceling took skill, they did. But since I lack skill and timing, I prefer brawl.

NeroeXIII

Smash Apprentice
I think Brawl > melee but all these opinions are biased. We are in the general BRAWL discussion

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
Brawl is becoming more competitive as I play it. I don't see it being too different from Melee in a couple years in terms of competitiveness.

so yes. Brawl > Melee

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
No, this is definitely an opinion. The games are very different, and I can definitely understand people still preferring melee.
T'was merely a joke. ;) But, yeah, Brawl. Don't bring up the "It wont be competative" argument, cause, yeah, it will be.

Obligatoryfinalboss

Smash Apprentice
On that one street, on the hill, next to the tree
I guess this would make me a "casual***" in Melee players eyes, but I'm glad the technical game is out in Brawl. Sure, we are finding things in Brawl so far, but most of it has been pretty tame, thingsy you can work around. At least in Brawl, you can play with a character, and have a pretty good chance to win, no matter who you pick, rather then persay Melee.

Melee was stuck in a rut that a lot of competitive players hate to admit. Fox, Falco, Marth, Peach, and Captain Falcon. Sure, it's only five of the twenty odd, and sure, sometimes you can beat those pro players with a lower tier character, but really, that's all theory. It would almost be better to say that NO, you cannot beat these characters if used professionally. Hell, with only five characters, it made the metagame feel TINY. Any other character used professionally would have SOME chance, but it was pretty slim, and pretty **** sad.

This fresh restart is what I needed. I haven't pick up Melee in about a year, the last time I went to a competition, and yes, lost. Call me a scrub, call me whatever, quite frankly, I don't care.

And sure, there's a chance that in a matter of time, we will find something gamebreaking, and it might become worse then Melee, but I'll take that chance compared to what is offered currently.

And ****, finally, online mode is a ****ing blessing. I can finally practice with people, abiet the lag can cause issues.
QFT
10colorfullinks

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Brawl has caught me like Melee did... I feel comfortable with the setup in Brawl over Melee overall.

_Li_

Smash Rookie
To be honest, I like Melee more than I do Brawl but only because of how long Brawl has been out. It took me a while to like Melee more than the original and I am assuming so for Brawl.

I've had much more intense battles on Brawl than I ever did on melee. I also like how everyone is starting out on ground level too. Another problem I have with Smash Brothers is that every time I start a new one, I'm terrible at it and have to stop playing for a year. When I come back from not playing suddenly I've improved.

It's the Smash Curse

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I like brawl more. We may have lost the advanced techs (which almost made it worth it), but at least they made 95% of the characters balanced and worth playing. So far, there doesn't seem to be that 1 character that tops everyone else, it feels as if there are no tiers. That one-ups Melee!

Top Bottom