• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you know how to ftilt?

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have this odd feeling that not enough Sheik users know the true extent of how good this move is, and what it leads into. I guess you're just not as clairvoyant as me, har har har.

Rather than just take the easy(hard) way out and write up a guide, I figured I would instead test the lot of you on what to do in particular ftilt situations. This way, your own decision making and deduction skills will be tested instead of your ability to blindly follow or otherwise be terminally unintuitive. Don't worry about me withholding my end of the bargain, as long you make some earnest attempt to figure out Brawl mechanics. Don't cheap out on the answer... tell me why you do/don't think so.

1. It is possible for Sheik to inescapably combo an ftilt to a tipper Usmash on any character. True/False?

2. Ftilt has multiple kinds of knockback depending on timing. True/False?

3. Ftilt is safe on hit at any percentage. True/False?

4. It may be impossible to DI the send of ftilt. How?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Meh. I've got some time. Just in advance, I know little about the f-tilt lock. Strictly WiFi play eliminates the need for it, for the most part.

Annyywaaayy,

1. I say false. Floaties can't be locked (at least, not to the same extent) and iirc Marth's UpB gets him out.

2. True, if by timing you mean where the enemy gets hit.

3. I want to say false, but I think it's true. I've never been punished.

4. (I don't get the question :/)

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
*Pulls out Pencil and Scantron*

1. It is possible for Sheik to inescapably combo an ftilt to a tipper Usmash on any character. True/False?

*raises hand* how dumb is my opponent?
False, It's possible on some characters, but there are ones who refuse to let that happen to them [Marth and his shoryuken blade (dolphin slash) come to mind] I don't think the F-Tilt is fast enough to lead into an upsmash on characters like him.

I think the examiner is plotting against us...
This is a weird question. It seems almost as if you're asking if the repetition of the player doing forward tilt plays a role in the momentum of sheik's leg as she spins around doing the F-Tilt. Regardless, I'm going to say false. Any changes in knockback I would chock up to the staleness of the move [In retrospect, this could be what you're referring to, in which case give me the dunce cap please]

Pfft.
False. Knowledge based on past experience.

The send?
I think I know what you're asking, so I'm going to say that it would be impossible because assuming you're opponent knows how to DI out of it [toward Sheik] all you have to do is realize what they're doing and just F-tilt in the opposite direction. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

If I fail, I can blame it on the fact that there was no study guide.

Tristan_win

Not dead.

True, I'll die a little inside if anyone says false.

True, although weird wording for saying hitting someone with a different hit box.

False, 0% is punishable if you hit someone with the thigh which is why you use other moves until tilt lock % or death combo %

Well from my brief testing in di I notice if you di immediately upon getting hit you will be able to greatly influence your flight so I suppose this could also be done with the ftilt as well. Although the difference of predicting a smash attack compared to a 4 frame moves is pretty large. To Di a single ftilt the best method would most likely be just towards the sheik unless you are no where near tilt lock percentage, I've found Di down into shield does wonders and allow you to punish them equal to more even if they land another 1 or two ftilts. If you are in a tilt lock then di up and towards sheik is your best bet while smashing jump. Smashing jump sounds like a bad idea but I've yet to have my jumps taken away for doing so and it's what I think my opponents are doing when I fail to finish a ftilt lock successfully.

I was actually thinking about making a thread about my prophecy of how to make Sheik high tier and I was going to greatly stress the use of the ftilt into usmash combo among other things such as the chain keep away and even dacus.

I stop writing when I got to cheap tricks like needle pull and vanish gliding as I didn't want to completely wright them off but at the same time I didn't think they are needed for sheik future top level game play to win.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I DIDN'T REVISE.

1. True. F Tilt to U Smash is guaranteed on all characters with appropriate decay and percent and it's a legit combo too, so not even invincibility frame one, i.e. Marth's DS, gets out.
2. True.
3. False.
4. I can't say I've ever known this either way. I know Sheik has a response to any form of DI during lock, but not if the F Tilt is impossible to DI on send (though that'd explain a lot).

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace

True and false. Depending on opponent Di, They can tap DI downward and away leading to them getting hit with only the side of the Usmash. Granted, it's much easier to DI for a side Usmash against floatier characters and smaller ones. Larger opponents are much more vulnerable to a tipper Usmash. Of course, see my answer down below, and you notice that you can only really escape for a Tipper if you managed to get hit with the very tip of the foot, else you fall into the upward swing of her leg.

I say true. Along Sheik's leg, I think her thighs give less knockback than her foot which will cycle them upward, while her thighs will knock them toward the side (Which then usually cycles toward her foot and then going upward). While the very tip of her foot will knock them away period so they can't be chained Ftilt.

False. I know for a fact that Peach from low percents up to high-mids cannot be ftilt locked, and can Nair as a punisher against Sheik. I don't know about other characters, but I know Peach has this trait. At high percents, it's safe to use since they are knocked too high for you to hit them again, and yet they are too high to counter attack.

The key to escaping a Ftilt lock is to not get yourself chained up in the first place. Once you get hit in with the first Ftilt, if you can't DI properly from it, you will eat some good damage from the ftilt lock (Much like Ivysaur's Bullet Seed). But I know that it is possible to DI out of a Ftilt, it's just hard to do, and you risk a lot if you get hit upward into a Tipper Usmash.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
1. True, since the extremities of weights have been tested then we can determine a linear relationship with two points.
2. What? I know that different parts of ftilt have different kinds of knockback, so changing the timing can in a way affect knockback by changing what part of ftilt you connect with. So True, I guess.
3. False. Doesn't quite work at 0 unless they don't react.
4. Certain ranges have certain kinds of knockback. Pick the proper range to negate the proper DI.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
1. true, its legit even on marth

2. true, being that sheik is hitting with a different part of her leg

3. false, it's certainly punishable at very early percents.

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman
1. True, I dont remember anyone that escaped my ftilt lock

2. True, Ftilt to Usmash on high % depends on right timing to pull off

3. False

4. Dont know how to answer it lol

Villi

Smash Lord
1. True. Depending on their weight and fall speed, at given percents with proper decay, it's possible to have enough frame advantage to perform an inescapable up smash.

2. False. Its knockback is dependent on spacing. The foot sends diagonally toward Sheik and the thigh sends upward. With timing it's possible to make the opponent fall into different parts of the hitbox.

3. False. At certain percents, frame advantage from ftilt is low enough that even on hit, a Marth or other floaty char will be able to retaliate with a Dolphin Slash or fast aerial before Sheik can shield. At 0%, ftilt is unsafe from jabs and other fast attacks from heavyweights and fast fallers.

4. If an attack has low enough knockback, it's impossible to DI it. Falco's dthrow at 0% is an example. By decaying the ftilt enough and using it at a percent when the opponent's percent isn't too high, it's possible to attack with an ftilt that will be impossible to DI without ASDI/SDI.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Villi provided the best responses, reading through the trick Qs.

As an addendum, you can't Smash DI the ftilt, you can only ASDI it which results in minimal displacement no matter how hard you mash.

Second round of questions are coming soon.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
True.
False. It shouldn't depend on timing but what part of ftilt you hit with.
False I guess. Pretty much nothing is safe on hit in this game.
I'd say it is possible with sdi and di. Don't actually know though.

Edit: I got almost all of them right! Nice.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
1. I think it is possible, but ftilt to usmash looks really lame so pretty much doing ftilt to taunt or ftilt to vanish is a way better option. IMO, ftilt to usmash is almost as effective as ftilt to dtilt to RAR b-reverse needle cancel fair.

2. True and False

3. Ftilt is only safe when you are ****** with it. Therefore, FalseFalco and ChuDat are the answers to this question. They are also the answers to my life of pain and agony.

4. Neo is the one

Villi

Smash Lord
lol @ RAR b reverse needle cancel fair. XD I played Tristan Win one day on lag fi and he was doing so much weird stuff, I was confused as to exactly how I was supposed to react to him, and he was awkward to hit to boot.

D

Deleted member

False. This game has no combos.

True. Sheik's legs look more toned when in Green, which may increase stun on certain bi-curious male characters. Ex Marth, Snake, Marth....Marth, etc.

Since you can't ftilt and remain in your shield at the same time, false.

stab your opponent in the face.

Top Bottom