• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you find Ike to be fought differently than others?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I think people change their style to fight Ike much more than any other character. Ike is a prime example of why one would not want to get hit. Most opponents can't take too many attacks by the character, and thus, they become more evasive and careful when fighting him. In spite of his lower mid-tier status (which, by the way, is the same level that Fox and Luigi are on, both of which are popular metagame characters), I think Ike has enough potential to fight in big league battles so long as the player utilizes his defense and range well enough.

Anyway, for your opponents, do you see them playing more defensively against Ike than against another character?

Glick

Smash Lord
Not really, you fight ike the same way you'd fight any close range character, dont jump into the ****.

Memorable_Random_Guy

Smash Journeyman
This is one of the reasons why Ike fares well as a surprise character, does good in the first round of a set, why he is called a n00b buster and why he was considered good back in the days of old. Aside from being reckless back then, we didn't know how to properly kick Ike's ***.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I don't think he's *too different to play compared to other characters, except if you're used to having a range advantage over characters like marth or DDD. Short range characters won't feel too different playing against ike than other people, due to experience with the disadvantage.

To be honest, getting an fsmash on someone isn't really too difficult, even if what they did wasn't even technically a mistake.

Memorable_Random_Guy

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty sure the opponent can just roll away and evade the f-smash....or am I missing something here? Am I being mind-gamed? Oh Jesus, NO!

/thread

Memorable_Random_Guy

Smash Journeyman
Not really,ever heard of Tripping:chuckle:,and doesn't Ike have more range than most people,So his Aerials will outrange yours?
Checked your past posts, you were not being sarcastic....

To the poster below me: If that's the case, then the opponent must be a fool to get in an horrible position like that, when there is a huge lag before Ike begins charging the attack where he can easily get out of the way.

I checked, F-smash only has a 1-frame advantage over the roll, so it would take extreme, no, superhuman timing to hit the opponent.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
For some reason there are no invicibility frames at the very moment you roll(At the time the shield is dropped), this includes dodging
Therefore doing either of those things would most likely result in a hit, possilbly a KO!
Quite foolish indeed!

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Checked your past posts, you were not being sarcastic....

To the poster below me: If that's the case, the opponent must be a fool to get in an horrible position like that, when there is a huge lag before Ike begins charging the attack where he can easilly get out of the way.

But I am investigating this further.
Okay,Heres how it goes.Ike predicts your side dodge roll,he turns around and does his Fsmash.It punishes spot dodges because of the lag.You could shield,hes helpless as the animation lag hits him.This is why shield is the best option.

Memorable_Random_Guy

Smash Journeyman
But what if he rolls away from you or runs the other way and jumps?
Or the opponent is Marth, peach or lucario counters your attack? Or your opponent is metaknight or snake and hits you out of your attack? Or your opponent jumps away and grabs the ledge?

Skilled player have a much better way of reacting to these situations than rolling or spot dodging or more

Edit: I checked, F-smash only has a 1-frame advantage over the roll, so it would take extreme, no, superhuman timing to hit the opponent.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Nah, I'm only a little cautious because my only worry is that jab. I know it's coming.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Well on a side note,Ike has an awesome spike.To explain,I said it may take one mistake,I did not say it was foolproof,If you expect a dodge,then Ike will punish it.Its a High risk,High reward.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
But what if he rolls away from you or runs the other way and jumps?
Or the opponent is Marth, peach or lucario counters your attack? Or your opponent is metaknight or snake and hits you out of your attack? Or your opponent jumps away and grabs the ledge?

Skilled player have a much better way of reacting to these situations than rolling or spot dodging or more

Edit: I checked, F-smash only has a 1-frame advantage over the roll, so it would take extreme, no, superhuman timing to hit the opponent.
The same can be said for roll dodging when he uses F smash first.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Oh I'm so sorry.
I'm not too sure about difficulty.
I've only done it on Wi-fi after all.
Ike's dair spike is pretty powerful, one of the best in the game. Aether spike is useless, and not applicable in ordinary combat. It's best used as a suicide attempt to knock off a person's last stock.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Ike's dair spike is pretty powerful, one of the best in the game. Aether spike is useless, and not applicable in ordinary combat. It's best used as a suicide attempt to knock off a person's last stock.
Or against Noobs who sit on the ledge LOL.

Memorable_Random_Guy

Smash Journeyman
That edit wasn't directed at you...

Oh but god****,why are you even defending the F-smash? If the opponent is skilled, he won't get in a position like that anyway. 26 start-up frames gives the opponent enough time to attack Ike or evade the attack althogether.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
That edit wasn't directed at you...

Oh but god****,why are you even defending the F-smash? If the opponent is skilled, he won't get in a position like that anyway. 26 frames leave you enough time to attack Ike or evade the attack althogether.
If you fight an Ike regularly, during the coarse of a match, you will be hit. It's unavoidable, you can't dodge an Ike fsmash your entire life. Now, if I haven't made it blatantly obvious yet, I'm saying you barely ever get hit by the thing. Just... it's not undodgable.

Ftilt is a different story...

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You can avoid Ike's fsmash pretty easily. HOWEVER, Ike doesn't just throw it out there (you better not -_-) He is either PREDICTING and attempting to intercept you with fsmash OR he's punishing you (laggy moves like Lucas's usmash)

Memorable_Random_Guy

Smash Journeyman
I know that very well. It's just that this guy is implying that the f-smash is 100% unavoidable in a situation in which the opponent has a lot of options and it is very easily avoidable.

Whatever, arguing with people on the internet is a waste of time. I am done with it... for today.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Building on what Ussi said, it indeed is fast enough to punish Bullet Seed, a Lucas Up Smash and other laggy attacks on shield. On powershield, a whole new world opens up!

Anyways, some people might not know that the Fsmash deals a boatload of shield damage if fully charged and it also shieldpokes to boot. Sometimes it is a pretty good idea to just stand there if your opponent shields charging the smash.

So what do you do if they roll? Step 1: Get off WiFi, Step 2: Stare at their controller.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Kirby's f smash is feared like 1000% more than Ike's.
Quoted for truth.

@Ussi - Funny stuff can happen with Ike as a partner. Like having him fsmash your Ness right offscreen, and screw up winner's finals at Land O' Lakes monthlies.

I'm never pairing up with an Ike again. At least, not for a tourney. Ike teamkills, he's certainly no friend of mine.

Memorable_Random_Guy

Smash Journeyman
Quoted for truth.

@Ussi - Funny stuff can happen with Ike as a partner. Like having him fsmash your Ness right offscreen, and screw up winner's finals at Land O' Lakes monthlies.

I'm never pairing up with an Ike again. At least, not for a tourney. Ike teamkills, he's certainly no friend of mine.
If you think that's bad, try to pair up with a reckless snake player while using Ike. I had one very reckless snake player for a partner in a tourney and I am a careless Ike player when it comes to doubles.

I can only describe the experience in two words: NEVER AGAIN.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
If you think that's bad, try to pair up with a reckless snake player while using Ike. I had one very reckless snake player for a partner in a tourney and I am a careless Ike player when it comes to doubles.

I can only describe the expirience in two words: NEVER AGAIN.

Seriously? I can't imagine what would be so bad about that.
What did he do, toss a few grenades and you get hit?

If you think that's bad, try having your partner absorb your only means of recovery. And by that, I mean Ness and Lucas teams.

Memorable_Random_Guy

Smash Journeyman
Seriously? I can't imagine what would be so bad about that.
What did he do, toss a few grenades and you get hit?

If you think that's bad, try having your partner absorb your only means of recovery. And by that, I mean Ness and Lucas teams.
Let's just say that funny stuff can happen with Snake as a partner. Like having him fsmash your Ike right offscreen and vice-versa, and screw up your first match. :(

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I had a falcon teammate up taunt and take the fsmash and die for manly epicness since we had 3-4 stock leads lol.

i have also witnessed a ness and lucas recovering next to each other. Their PK thunders canceled each other out lol.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Let's just say that I was more worried about him hitting me than the opponent's team's attacks. And it wasn't my fault that I got hit.
Doesn't sound too bad. Not wanting to hit your opponent is just begginer's jitters. Excuse my poor spelling. It has nothing to do with your characters.

It's ALWAYS your fault that you get hit.

Top Bottom