• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you ever get "rivalries" online?

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
In a random online match, do you ever form rivalries with another person? It can be hard to tell if they switch characters often, but if they use the same character or have a distinct fighting style you can tell who they are.

Today, for example, I was playing team battle, and there was always another Bowser on the other team, who was only slightly better than me, so it was pretty epic.

He won all the times but two. Then we were on the same team and destroyed the other team. Then I beat him in the final match in sudden death. Yeah, it was pretty epic. So do any of you have these kinds of experiences?

Barge

All I want is a custom title
It's easy to tell who is who, just their player number (P3, P4, P2 etc)

And it depends, if he targets me the whole match, Ill target him the whole match in the next round.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
No, I just seem to attract the taunting and crouching types.

I'm always rivals with people if they choose my character though.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Seems like it's usually more of an alliance-rivalry that develops for me. I get into a rhythm with one of the other players when we realize we're the only good ones playing. We take about half the match to see who can decimate the other players most effectively, then duke it out against each other for the rest of the match. It's quite entertaining.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Oh definitely. One time there was this ZSS player. I could definitely tell it was a competitive player in training (then again, I was too at this time). I was Ike, and she was definitely more skilled than everyone else, so naturally we'd end up going head-to-head while the other two players act like idiots and do something else. Whenever someone tried to butt-in, we'd team up and knock em away, then go back to our fun.

Lasted for a good hour or so because the player left. After that it was all taunt parties. -_-

brinboy789

Smash Champion
i had that with a kirby player once. i could tell that they were acompetitive player because they were comboing like crap everywhere. (well...sorta combos :p). and i was practicing too, and i actually got motivated on wifi (:O) and we like attacked each other. thsi was on teams too, so when we teamed up, ****. when we didnt team up, we versed each other. lasted for about an hour till the other guy had to go :\

Tenki

Smash Hero
I remember when I played on random wifi, once in a while there'd be some person camping the person with highest damage for kills. They're annoying.

sometimes, I'd even run into another person who used Sonic. Sonic players on random wifi annoy me even more, because they're part of the bad reputation that I have to burn. And I burn them more than well-done steak.

Rivalries don't last long when you force them to ragequit.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I've only had this type of thing once this with a Fallen Angel Pit (Black costume).

God how I want a rematch now.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Oh hell yes. Just today there was this sonic who took advantage of my little experience with marth. He taunted everytime he Dsmashed me away (that's basically all he did, but he wasn't TOO bad). Next round I busted out Ike and PWNED DAT SONIC TO KINGDOM COME! I was happy.

I also saved a replay where Dedede got a special ball and used it RIGHT as the match ended. Ya know how it starts with a whistle? It was "TIME OUT!".

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Yeah, I was playing MG&W online one time in Team battle,and there was this snake who was about the same skill level as me, so I naturally wwent to attack him, but those little people who get in the way....
Also I normally go and attack someone who picked the same character as me!

brod1986

Smash Apprentice
All the **** time. Im quite competative if im fairly good at something and there is anyone better than me.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
I fought a very good link on wifi recently. I was snake. I was just snakedashing all the time and then in the next match he started dacussing as well. And well it wasn't really a friendship since were were only fighting eachother......and i won most of the matches.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
I get those kinds of rivalries all the time, and cherish each one.

It makes online Brawl worth it. <3

Majora_younglink

Smash Apprentice
Mmm, not really. Most people online are people that "play for fun" and camp around waiting for items/relying on them. I've had a few rivalries against people but it was mainly because they kept doing things that annoyed me.

Also anyone notice that after FF went down the "Anyone" players got a lot better? Coincidence?

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I play Mario Kart online, I always seem to form rivalries.
Especially with Miis that go by Dad.

DAD!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
unfortunetly NO, only at an actually tourney. FF doesn't really suit me as seeing it has
LAG!

TheWaft

Smash Journeyman
Illinois--I live in a suburb of chicago. Looking f
i played a guy in a friend battle and the next round another guy joined. The original guy left, so it was just the other guy, and I am pretty sure it was Chu Dat. His name was Chu, and he did IC chain grabs and d-sinc like i have never seen before. He 0 to deathed me all 3 of my lives, i didnt even touch him. it was kinda a rivalry.

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
I don't play Online a lot but I have because they the guy smacked talk it makes me nervous having to live up to the expectations

RubenSSBB

Smash Apprentice
yes i like that . yesterday i found two guys the first five matches we were fighting then we finished doing funny things i would like to know who were those guys..

j.rob

Smash Apprentice
Lol. There I was playing as my fun, every now and then character (mario) and I came across this crazy falcon player who kicked all our ***** hard!

So im like " -_- ......Dude.....It's on now" and pull out one of my mains. The king (DeDeDe).

So now im there swinging my big hammer of **** around making those falcon,luigi and ness dudes cry like b!tches. +3 points for me.And then TIME!!! THE WIMNER IS DEDEDE!!

Next round. Me and the falcon dude are there going all out, showing our moves. He is doing all this crazy stuff and paunching me and kneeing me and "Show me ya movesing!" and "COME ONing" in a manly way (His falcon was top tier material. No joke. He was like the issai of brawl),and im there like Chaingrabing and wop'ing and f-smashing and playing at an epic level. NEVER have i been so determined to beat someone....

Lol and the luigi and ness dudes were just standing there. Watching this epic battle. They were probably like o_0 Z0mG!! TH3SEE D00dS R T3H R4PE!1!!!11

It was sooo tense....,we had like 30 games, And everytime The noobs tried to join in on the confrontation they either got PAWNCHED!!!! or DDD F-SMASHED.

I shed a tear when he left........

Brawl needs an add to friends option.

Steel_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
i was playing this EPIC lucario mainer he was f smashing my falcon so i targeted him the next 5 matches the 2 other players died as i killed them before i went for the lucario guy
i hate sakurai for making online gay **** YOU SAKURAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheSundanceKid

Smash Lord
Yeah...mostly Marth or MK who think they are good. I participate in taunt parties and if someonce crashes it, I usually go for them. If they continue, I use Yoshi and give them all I got...

X warrior411

Smash Rookie
On online matchs when im not taunt partying(rarely),I see this happen a lot,say there is a really good Ike player,and he wins 3 matchs in a row....Then the other two players and me gang up on him and we pwn him.Its fun :p,

Roymyboy284

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's not a random match, but I'm rivals right now with Super_Sonic8677 on the boards, since he plays Sonic too. He's so good!

DAGanmanert

Smash Apprentice
Ya, like today I got a snake..we were pretty equal so the outcome of the match was alway diff..then a third guy joined, who was pretty decent and eventually a fourth dude did too...Me an the snake had a ton of sudden death matches, lol was intense..But of course my Wifi decided to ***** out an disconnect me..I was left bored when I couldnt get anyone to brawl after..

Top Bottom