• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you ever feel like you're forcing yourself to main someone?

yamas11

Smash Cadet
Like, you're only maining the character because you really love them, even though their playstyle is opposite of yours. I really like Link, but his playstyle just isn't my kind, as I like the faster, quicker comboing types, like Fox and Sheik, my better mains. Though, I still use him a lot in "serious" matches and try to force myself to stay at least decent with him, as I don't want to suck with one of my fav video game characters.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Nah, Yoshi's my playstyle. I usually forget to shield, and because Yoshi's shield is godawful, he might as well not use it. So, it all works out. :)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
You should only feel forced if you plan on winning serious competitions. Otherwise, you are just robbing yourself of happiness. I no longer force myself to learn anyone.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Nope.
/thread.

Just adjust to Link or pick someone else. I like Marth, but I don't use him because hes annoying to use for me. I like Link's play style, but Link is mehh.... =P

Toon Links just perfect. =)

Actually I remember forcing myself to main Bowser in Melee. Have you ever played a good Luigi as Bowser in Melee? Its SAD. But after a long long while, I moved onto Pikachu just out of frustration of that match-up (then moved onto Marth because Pikachu felt wrong).

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
When I went back to Melee after Brawl.

Falco. Mained him before. Forced myself to main him afterwards. Now I suck.

But in Brawl, Sonic fits me like a glove.

:093:

RixMaadi

Smash Cadet
I really love Sonic, even with all of his mediocre new games, I was a major fan from the old games. I'm only ok with Sonic in Brawl, doing better with Captain Falcon and Ike. <.<

§leepy God

Smash Master
Buzz is a mod. O_o

Back to the Thread: Only if you look at tier list, but most people main they people because they like the character. But no one want to play a chracter that loses a lot.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well first of all, you are robbing yourself of your happiness, even thought Link is your favorite VG character, you shouldn't have to feel bad if you don't main him and therefore have to force yourself to play him, just play with your favorite style, in your case fast characters and you shouldn't have a problem

I might also suggest that if you really don't want to give up on Link, then just prwctice with him as well as his playstyle, that way you will already be used to him, and most importantly, you won't have to give him up.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Nah, I think all of my mains fit my playstyle pretty well. They may involve changes in the playstyle, but overall I like each of them.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
no....my main(s) always fit my playstyle. even though my mains have different playstyles, i find all of them pretty fun.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Not so much that as I get rusty very easily. When I first got Brawl, Dedede was LIFE. Then, I got crappy as him somehow, so I went to Wario. Now I blow as him. I have a few, like Olimar, that I am not neccessarily tournament level with, but am fairly consistent as. That's why I have multiple mains, so I can always have a good pick.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Dedede and Bowser I've always stuck with, but Ganondorf was really awkward. It was torture to use his horrendous moveset, **** Sakurai. . .

Wario took some getting used to, but I dropped him instead of forcing myself to main him. Now though I consider him one of my mains.

SonicBoom2

Smash Journeyman
When I first mained Sonic I did.
Now I like to use quick attacks and gimp.

Snake is the only main of mine that usually involves killing straight off.

Lemon?

Smash Apprentice
I really like Link, but his playstyle just isn't my kind, as I like the faster, quicker comboing types, like Fox and Sheik, my better mains.
Link used to be my favorite character too.. Try toon link, you might like him as he fits your playstyle better.

Alterhalo

Smash Journeyman
I love snake and I've been practicing with him lately and I love lucas I play with lucas pretty **** good but marth has to fit my playstyle the best I just love him but I really wanna get better with snake

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
This is exactly how I felt with Mewtwo in Melee. He was my most wanted character, so of course I tried to stick with him. Eventually I tried Ganondorf and loved him so now I play Ganon. Though I did eventually learn Mewtwo better, so now he's my secondary. Everybody wins!

In Brawl I mained Wolf since before I had the game. His playstyle is borderline perfect for me.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I feel this way.

The thing is, there isn't a character in Brawl for me that stands out in an "Oh wow, I'm maining HIM/HER/IT" kind of way. So... that makes the choice a difficult one for me. I know the characters I hate to play as, but... to pick from the remaining ones seems kind of forced for me.

EDIT: Ignore me, I didn't actually read the first post, just the topic title. Well, in a way my post above still applies, I guess. I love Yoshi as a character, but I just can't pick him up in Brawl without some work.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
You should play a character you like, but at the same time, play a character that is your playstyle. I want to main Peach, cause I'm a fan of her and the Mario games. However, even though her playstyle is acceptable to me, Meta Knight, another character I like, I went to Meta Knight. Not only do I like the Kirby universe, but his fighting style is more in what I'm into, which is being agressive. I still play Peach, but I have yet to bring her to a tournament, due to my feel that I'm not ready yet.

Just play a character you enjoy playing.

Skink

Smash Apprentice
I absolutely love holding the raw power that is DK. It's like being the crane operator with a giant wrecking ball. They can't stop you. You just break them into little bits with the sheer power of MAGNIFICENT MONKEY MIGHT. I love it. I enjoy every match. ('cept d3, but he's just a *****muncher) When you play with monkey, you always win.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
I'll have to be honest. I did force myself to get good with Sonic because the second I heard he was on I screamed, "I'M SO MAINING HIM, I DON'T CARE IF HE'S THE WORST CHARACTER IN THE GAME." (heh, because of that I became such a huge fan and I mean HUGE)
So for a month or two, it was pure torture sucking with Sonic. Never killed, SDed, and never figured out what to do when something came up.
But one day, it just clicked. I clicked with him and everything was working just fine. But after that, if there was a character I just couldn't use, I just don't use him/her. I'll practice later to get a decent feel for later, but I don't exclude them.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
I forced myself to main Captain Falcon for the lulz but surprisingly, so far it's been worth it. I've only been serious about Falcon for 2 weeks (I don't play often...maybe 3 hours a week) but my Captain Falcon has already been showing signs of ownage. =D

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
For the longest time I wanted to pick up Sonic, but never got around to it. Today I started using him seriously, and it sort of feels forced right now, but I know that after a lot of practice and frequenting the Sonic boards, I'll be just fine with Sonic. I hope, anyway.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Not really with my main, Marth, or my second, Zelda. Both generally just click for me. But back when Brawl first came out, I tried to use two of my other favorites from Melee, Fox and Samus. But I just couldn't do it. I forced myself to keep trying, but it was just bad. So I gave up on them, played new characters that clicked, and did my thing. Now, I've gone back, and while I still can't be as effective with them, especially with Samus, it's better. I guess I just needed to adapt to Brawl from Melee.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
This is exactly how I felt with Mewtwo in Melee. He was my most wanted character, so of course I tried to stick with him. Eventually I tried Ganondorf and loved him so now I play Ganon. Though I did eventually learn Mewtwo better, so now he's my secondary. Everybody wins!

In Brawl I mained Wolf since before I had the game. His playstyle is borderline perfect for me.
I agree with Mewtwo. I started off mianing Fox in Melee, and he felt like a perfect fit for me to be honest. Mewtwo took a longer time to get used to, but I really wanted to get good with him. I eventually got Mewtwo to a competitive level and could trust him in tourneys, but I would still save Fox for the more important matches.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
When I first started maining Falco I was really forcing it. Seriously, I'd lose to level 9 comps. Once it finally clicked I started wrecking with him, but he doesn't fit my natural playstyle.

It's all good, though, cuz I main Snake now, and he DOES fit my natural playstyle.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I felt this way with Sheik. Though I really helped develop her metagame a lot on the Sheik boards, I kinda realized that by only picking her that I would be severely limiting myself, and my real main DDD was much better.

Who do I play as my alts now?

PT, Olimar, Wario, and Puff.... haha.

I always go for the funnest characters :pPP

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
When I first started maining Falco I was really forcing it. Seriously, I'd lose to level 9 comps. Once it finally clicked I started wrecking with him, but he doesn't fit my natural playstyle.

It's all good, though, cuz I main Snake now, and he DOES fit my natural playstyle.
I certainly felt forced with Falco. I feel better off with him now, but I still need to refine his game and just get a little more experience in general before I'd even consider busting him out in a tournament setting along with my other 4 mains.

zacharia zako

Smash Journeyman
in EVERY mario game and i mean every, Mario kart, tenis, golf party, etc, im good with yoshi. its only in brawl that im not good with him but i really want to main him. I've tried him a few times but the skill im at with him doesnt desrve to be called a main

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Alot of the decision of who to main depends on who works best for you.

The 2nd part of it is playing with characters that work best against your friends mains. For example Yoshi and Diddy are my two best (with Luigi, Peach and ROB following) Against my friend who mains Samus I use Yoshi because Yoshi can hover in the air quickly and not be as easily camped on by missles and the blaster compared to Diddy. Against my other friend who mains Wolf I use Diddy because I need the speed advantage on the ground along with the bananas. I suck against both my friends though but I tend to fair better based on character selection.

For tournament play though I've got no advice because I've never been to one. Best guess in that situation is to go with who you play best with I guess.

13th Nightmare

Smash Cadet
I've never really forced myself to play as any of my mains. But I think Wolf is really the wildcard in my mains. My other mains: Toon Link, Sonic and Lucario, all feel light and can pack a punch. But with Wolf, I slow myself right down and try and score bigger punches and go for the win quickly, rather than score smaller punches over a period of time.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Nope.

I would LOVE to main Link (I do in fact own some form of EVERY Zelda game), but he just seems odd and bulky to me. In Melee, I mained Young Link because he matched my style perfectly.

Sometimes I play Toon Link, but...I mained Mario because he's just amazingly fun to play with.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I want to main Ivysaur, but I have to rely on the other two, which I don't like, because I suck as Squirtle and Charizard.

Roihu

Smash Ace
I actually just picked Pikachu because I never got him in Random.
When I started playing him, I was like, wow, he's freaking awesome.
Plus, his side taunt is so awesome when repeated. Plus, I like the Pokemon series, so it was a plus.
I actually like Captain Falcon's style, but I just keep sucking with him. I still use him, but I'm not too good.
Ice Climbers I use because of their grabs. I just love their grabs. o.o
A character I tried forcing myself to use is Peach. I tried, tried, and tried again, but I never got used to her style of play.

kuenzel

Smash Ace
Trying to pick up meta knight was awful. I only tired him because of his apparent godliness on the teir list. I gave up, it wasn't fun. As for trying out snake, falco and marth, that was enjoyable. MK wasn't for some reason.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I had always wanted Meta Knight in Brawl, and it must have been fate that not only did I get him, but I could use him well, so he became my main. Then I unlocked Ganondorf, and one day I started using him on the Pikmin stage, taking a couple of steps and spartan kicking people right off the stage. I slowly but surely got better and better with Ganondorf, and while I was improving my Meta Knight too, I was slowly having more fun as Ganondorf and less fun as Meta Knight.

So I can say I probably stuck with calling Meta Knight my main out of a slight sense of guilt that I might betray one of my favorite characters. But the realization that MK was borderline broken really affected how I played the game, as I started straying away from MK 'cause my opponents might find using him annoying. Usually that doesn't really matter to me, and it still doesn't, but if I was also having more fun with Ganondorf and getting just as good with him as my MK, then what's the big deal?

Even now it's hard to admit, but the reality probably is that my MK slowly but surely got replaced by my Ganondorf without me ever having to say a word. =/

Pikatwo

Smash Rookie
In melee, I told myself that I was going to main Mewtwo as soon as I unlocked him. His playstyle was very different from Pikachu's which I found hard to get used to. I would have fun playing as him, it's just that I would always lose. When I did win, I felt much more proud of myself then when I won with Pikachu or Ness. However, I kept on forcing myself to main him since he was (and still is) my favourite character and eventually I did get good with him.

It's all about getting used to a playstyle. In brawl, I find that having mains with diferent playstyles is good for different situations. I still play with Sonic even though I suck with him.

And about Link, have you tried toon Link? You won't be 'betraying' Link since they ARE both Links afterall.

Top Bottom