• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you consider yourself good?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I find that people who say they are 'bad' when they actually do quite well are trying to portray a false humility that is obvious to anyone slightly intelligent. I think it makes them feel more content in their losses because they are 'pre-johning', so to speak.

Normal people who are aware of their surroundings and the talents of others would be able to correctly gauge their strength. All you have to do is realistically go over who you are able to beat in a tournament setting, and who you regularly lose to in a tournament setting. If you beat many respected people and choose to call yourself something less than good, it means you have no self esteem and/or are preparing your fragile self esteem for a future loss. If you lose to everyone and deem yourself as something better than you are, you have effectively shown everyone you have an inflated ego that mostly everyone can see for what it is.

In closing, you are as good as HOW YOU PERFORM. How good you think or say you are is probably biased by your own insecurities OR inflated self-worth.
Eh, I don't really agree. I mean, when people like M2K say they're bad, then yeah lol. But sometimes, it's just that some people have higher standards for "good" than others.

I have extremely high standards for Smash 64.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
For me this assessment is a cinch. For competitive melee I am a scrub, whereas in the world of non competitive melee I am a pro.

crush

Smash Master
i am pretty bad in general but i feel like i could get better i am just too inconsistent at the game itself. there are matches where i play five times as good as my other matches, and matches where i play absolutely horribly.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
People should read Banks' post and just think about it, it's really really good...and that's the only time I've ever seen him seriously post, so I'm gonna cherish that one LOL good **** man

ILM

Smash Journeyman
I'd consider myself a work in progress. Not good yet, but I'll get there.

Dior

Smash Cadet
im good enough, but unless i win a national or international than theres always need for improvemnets.

0_o

Smash Rookie
I'm ok. I'm definitely not the best. Win some lose some really

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Even when I was placing Top 25 in national tournaments, I still considered myself bad because there's such an obvious gap between an average 15th place and an average 2nd place smasher. In fact, it's more like there was a huge gap between 1st-4th, 5th-9th, and 13th-25th...pretty much your classic tiers of Smashers, and I pretty much labeled Smashers this way in my head. In singles, I was stuck in third tier and never really poked my head out of that.

Tiers for me were basically:
1st: Occasionally wins national tournaments, rarely loses to a non-top-tier player
2nd: Occasionally place/Top5 at national tournaments, and beat a top-tier player 1/5 times
3rd: Often will place/Top5 at regional tournaments, and beat a second-tier player 1/5 times
4th: Rarely lands in money at any decent tournament

But now I don't care because I know I'm amazing.

SSBM_or_GTFO

Smash Apprentice
Even when I was placing Top 25 in national tournaments, I still considered myself bad because there's such an obvious gap between an average 15th place and an average 2nd place smasher. In fact, it's more like there was a huge gap between 1st-4th, 5th-9th, and 13th-25th...pretty much your classic tiers of Smashers, and I pretty much labeled Smashers this way in my head. In singles, I was stuck in third tier and never really poked my head out of that.

Tiers for me were basically:
1st: Occasionally wins national tournaments, rarely loses to a non-top-tier player
2nd: Occasionally place/Top5 at national tournaments, and beat a top-tier player 1/5 times
3rd: Often will place/Top5 at regional tournaments, and beat a second-tier player 1/5 times
4th: Rarely lands in money at any decent tournament

But now I don't care because I know I'm amazing.
So what tier is 10th-12th?

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
ehhhhhh... on a good day I'm average, at least compared to my general region, not at the bottom, but not near the top either, i could be a threat but I have consistancy/MU problems.

when you're average you don't win a lot, but you do go down "kicking and screaming" as i like to put it sometimes lmao.

*shrugs* to say anymore would be selling myself too short or saying i'm better than I am. one of these days I'm gonna go to another tourny and make it outta pools. someday... lol

EDIT @ SSBM_or_GTFO: that's an amazing sig O_O

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty good, and I think I could wreck anybody here because I have all stages, all characters, and all 277 trophies.

Seriously though, I've thought I was good for years, because I could beat anybody in my home town by just jumping around and doing the same thing over and over, but then I discovered Youtube videos, wavedash, and Isai (and maybe a couple of other things). Since then, I've been trying to improve, and I think I could get quite good with real involvement. But it would take me a long time and a lot of dedication.

Pi

Smash Hero
when you're good there won't be any doubt in your mind that you're good

this isn't to say that confidence is everything

but once you begin to understand the game and it's players on a basic level you can begin to truly start playing it

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Well, I use to be good, but then I stopped playing and not I'm not very good. :p So the answer for me would just be no...

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
I think I'm pretty decent, but could be a lot better if I get more experience against other players except always playing by myself. There's nobody to play with and I can't go to tournaments , so I can't push my limits at all.

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
no offense, but playing only 2-3 people will never get you to a point where you are pretty decent.
i thought i was pretty decent, i went to a tournament, i got ***** hard. to be decent at melee you need to play a large pool of people.

Kingbuilder

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty decent. I definitely could get better, though. Just need to play against the right people and discover new techniques. Unfortunately, there are no tournaments in Montana and I'm probably too young to even be allowed entry to those anyway.

Top Bottom