• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you believe Marth is coming back?

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I really hope he does. Sheik and Marth are my two best characters so I'd love for Marth to make it.

The way I see it, Ike is the Roy of Brawl (FE on the Wii). Marth is the original FE Lord so there's no other FE character more deserving of a spot than Marth. Hopefully he'll make his return (and won't be too badly nerfed).

JPSChampagne

Smash Cadet
I could care less about tiers, but I really, really want Marth to return. I think it's realistic for him to come back, and I really think Sakurai is aware of just how popular Marth was from Melee. I think Marth is very likely for Brawl, and I can't wait to see how great his new character model looks.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
I dont' see why Marth would be nerfed. He's more a man of skill rather than power. All his moves do some nice damage without being overwhelmed.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
I think Marth will return. Not because he was top tier though, but because he's more of a Fire Emblem icon than any other character. He's the first main character in the series, and he's had more apperances than any other lord, especially when you consider the fact that there's going to be a new DS game with him in it... even if it's just a remake it still helps his chances insanely.

YSM

Smash Apprentice
He was arguably the most popular Melee tournament character, so I'd be very surprised to see him go.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I fully expect it, but that has nothing to do with how good he was in Melee. As Fire Emblem characters go, he simply has the most reason to be in of any of them. Hes the most iconic character of the saga, has the most games to his name, is among Japan's favorite characters of the series (probably the most popular, or if not just behind Sigurd), and has a remake of his first game coming out in the future, so his presence in Brawl would be ideal advertising for Nintendo. Add to that the fact that Ike is immensely different from him in terms of moves (only 2 standard moves and one special with any similarities worth noting) and general physics (immensely slow & strong is the opposite of Marth) and we needn't worry that he has taken Marth's spot, so theres simply no reason he wouldn't make it.

Zevox

Stuhddabahkz

Smash Apprentice
When I heard Ike had Counter, I thought "Marth is gone..." Now that we know aside from that their movesets are different, I think Marth is coming back. He's the original FE hero. It's be like... putting in Lucas and taking out Ne--Oh, ****... They DID do that. Marth d-confirm'd. Lol.

Seriously though, I think Ike is replacing Roy, their Neutral B does the same damage (50%/autokill, 10%/emo-damage).

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
seriously why not. There are 27 characters revealed now, and 23 character slots revealed. There are 13 veterans yet to be confirmed and 4 of them most likely won't make it. That leaves 9 veterans. 27+9= 36. now remember that 2 of the newcomers are unlockables so that leaves about 4-6 reasonable newcomers to be added. So why does everyone think Sakurai is going to get rid of most of the veterans. Ice Climbers have been revealed and so Has Sheik. Why would Sakurai keep them and get rid of Marth the character who started the Fire Emblem series as well as the most reocurring character.

He wasn't a bad character nor a filler and he definitly wasn't a unpopular character. Ness is out because Sakurai never wanted him in (he always wanted Ness), and some of the other clones will leave because they were created to be filler placer characters. Why would Sakurai have reason to get rid of Marth?

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
I fully expect it, but that has nothing to do with how good he was in Melee. As Fire Emblem characters go, he simply has the most reason to be in of any of them. Hes the most iconic character of the saga, has the most games to his name, is among Japan's favorite characters of the series (probably the most popular, or if not just behind Sigurd), and has a remake of his first game coming out in the future, so his presence in Brawl would be ideal advertising for Nintendo. Add to that the fact that Ike is immensely different from him in terms of moves (only 2 standard moves and one special with any similarities worth noting) and general physics (immensely slow & strong is the opposite of Marth) and we needn't worry that he has taken Marth's spot, so theres simply no reason he wouldn't make it.

Zevox
Actually, Marth is not the most iconic Fire Emblem character, Sigurd is. Just because he was the first lord people assume he has more right that anyone, and is more iconic than any of the others, but that's false. Marth was not only pathetically weak in his game(s), but he's also lackluster as a character. All of his popularity came from SSBM. Sigurd, and even Ike have much more reason to be in Brawl than Marth, but Marth was a completely original character in SSBM, so why remove him? Roy has more reason to be removed, because he ws a clone (of Marth, of course), but there's no reason to remove an already complete, original character.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Bah, you know what Ike's symbol is? The Falchion. aka Marth's sword. No way they continue to use the Falchion as an icon and then replace Marth. He's in.
So they got lazy and used the same icon, I don't think that necessary proves either point :laugh:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Actually, Marth is not the most iconic Fire Emblem character, Sigurd is. Just because he was the first lord people assume he has more right that anyone, and is more iconic than any of the others, but that's false. Marth was not only pathetically weak in his game(s), but he's also lackluster as a character. All of his popularity came from SSBM. Sigurd, and even Ike have much more reason to be in Brawl than Marth, but Marth was a completely original character in SSBM, so why remove him? Roy has more reason to be removed, because he ws a clone (of Marth, of course), but there's no reason to remove an already complete, original character.
so why wasn't sigurd in melee? They could have had him instead of Marth or have him as a clone instead of Roy.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Yeah, I see him coming back, but Sheik doesn't have any correlation with Marth in Nintendo's eyes.

Nintendo digs retro, so why throw out FE's first franchise character?

SilverBlaze

Smash Apprentice
Sigurd might be the most iconic in Japan, but that's likely to change with the advent of Fire Emblem DS, which is a remake of Marth's games. So now, Marth isn't only the first lord, he's also the most recent, or rather will be. And again, Smash uses his sword for the series icon, not Ike's or someone elses.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I agree with the end of your quote (Roy being a Marth clone and there is no point in killing an original moveset) but as for Sigurd being more iconic... wasn't he a secondary lord in most of his game? Sort of like a Hector/Lyn character? I also don't think Marth's sword would have been used if he was not the most iconic.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Odd, considering what I've heard indicates Falchion (being the most overpowered weapon in FE history) made Marth incredible after he got it. And considering Marth was Japan's #11 most requested character for Melee, with only real big-name characters like Bowser and Wario being above him and some of our confirmed characters for Brawl (Diddy, Meta Knight, Pokèmon Trainer, etc) being below him, yet Sigurd made no appearance on that poll at all. And considering the requests from Sakurai's Brawl "poll" in his journal had only one mention of Sigurd but multiple characters from Marth's games, including two requests for Oguma, seems to indicate a greater interest in Marth's games than Sigurd's, at least with respect to SSB. Plus Marth has two games to his name, soon to be three (and really, why remake Marth's game rather than Sigurd's if Sigurd is so much above him in popularity or as a series icon?), while Sigurd has only part of one game.

Yeah, the evidence I've seen and heard doesn't seem to support Marth being anything but an icon of the series who is popular in Japan.

Anyway, regardless, at least we agree that he should be back.

Zevox

Mario77

Smash Apprentice
I dont' see why Marth would be nerfed. He's more a man of skill rather than power. All his moves do some nice damage without being overwhelmed.
... He's one of those characters you give to a noob and say, "press the C stick in the direction of the opponent and you win". I mean compare his smash attacks hit box to Mario or Mewtwo's...

Idk, I think Marth is coming back, but I know there is gona be at least one more FE character, maybe two more.

Smash Apprentice
The next Fire Emblem to be released will be for the DS.

It is to be a remake of the original Fire Emblem.

Without a doubt, Marth is coming back.

GinRei

Smash Apprentice
I believe it's been said but:

1) Very Popular character
2) Main lord of 1st, 3rd, and 11th FEs
3) His sword is symbol for Fire Emblem
4) Roy was included in Melee to increase hype for his game, Marth is getting a DS game in 2008... see where I'm going with this?

Smash Apprentice
When I heard Ike had Counter, I thought "Marth is gone..." Now that we know aside from that their movesets are different, I think Marth is coming back. He's the original FE hero. It's be like... putting in Lucas and taking out Ne--Oh, ****... They DID do that. Marth d-confirm'd. Lol.

Seriously though, I think Ike is replacing Roy, their Neutral B does the same damage (50%/autokill, 10%/emo-damage).
Ness wasn't the original hero of Earthbound/Mother...

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
hes in.... trust me

lol now i sound like i have a "source"

they have every reason to keep him and no reasons to let him go. to sacrifice him for ike doesnt make sense, theyre opposites in terms of gameplay types. plus, japan loves mars (marth).

Smash Apprentice
Odd, considering what I've heard indicates Falchion (being the most overpowered weapon in FE history) made Marth incredible after he got it. And considering Marth was Japan's #11 most requested character for Melee, with only real big-name characters like Bowser and Wario being above him and some of our confirmed characters for Brawl (Diddy, Meta Knight, Pokèmon Trainer, etc) being below him, yet Sigurd made no appearance on that poll at all. And considering the requests from Sakurai's Brawl "poll" in his journal had only one mention of Sigurd but multiple characters from Marth's games, including two requests for Oguma, seems to indicate a greater interest in Marth's games than Sigurd's, at least with respect to SSB. Plus Marth has two games to his name, soon to be three (and really, why remake Marth's game rather than Sigurd's if Sigurd is so much above him in popularity or as a series icon?), while Sigurd has only part of one game.

Yeah, the evidence I've seen and heard doesn't seem to support Marth being anything but an icon of the series who is popular in Japan.

Anyway, regardless, at least we agree that he should be back.

Zevox

You know what Sigurd has going for him though?

He's one of Sakurai's favorite characters.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Ness wasn't the original hero of Earthbound/Mother...
I'm glad someone pointed that out, the Ness argument doesn't work, as Ninten was the original's main character.
And Marth is coming back, that's pretty obvious.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
I'm glad someone pointed that out, the Ness argument doesn't work, as Ninten was the original's main character.
And Marth is coming back, that's pretty obvious.
I'm assuming Nintendo figured they (Ninten and Ness) were literally one-in-the-same and went with the more worldwide incarnation.

Zevox

Smash Lord

I've heard that rumor as well. I've also heard claims its false. I've seen no evidence of it being correct, so I'm not inclined to assume it is.

Zevox

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

But even if that's true it's not enough to topple Marth. It might be enough to get him in as an AT or a PC if there are enough slots (like 4 FE slots, which I don't see happening). He might just end up being an alternate costume (zomg, Ike has a white and blue costume):laugh:

Seriously though, the only people that don't want Marth are the ones who hated him for being high tier. Most people that play as him actually like his playstyle. They don't just play him because he's high tier, they play him because a fast swordsman is a good idea for a character.:laugh:

Smash Apprentice
I'm assuming Nintendo figured they (Ninten and Ness) were literally one-in-the-same and went with the more worldwide incarnation.
Possibly.

Or, Lucas technically didn't exist at the time of either the original or Melee's release...

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/0717/index.html

I mean, theoretically, you could even have a cheap internet translator translate the bio for Ness on the Japanese Melee site to figure out why Ness remained in Melee instead of Lucas, but that's all theory...

Smash Apprentice
But even if that's true it's not enough to topple Marth. It might be enough to get him in as an AT or a PC if there are enough slots (like 4 FE slots, which I don't see happening). He might just end up being an alternate costume (zomg, Ike has a white and blue costume):laugh:

Seriously though, the only people that don't want Marth are the ones who hated him for being high tier. Most people that play as him actually like his playstyle. They don't just play him because he's high tier, they play him because a fast swordsman is a good idea for a character.:laugh:
Oh. I don't doubt that.

As I previously posted, there are no doubts in my mind that Marth is returning. Personally, I don't care much about Marth or Sigurd because I know nothing about either, really. I'm just happy Ike is in.

I'm just saying that Sigurd has plenty of chance to be playable. This is Sakurai's final go at the series. He has shown no other signs of not making it all he wants it to be. Dedede is in. Metaknight is in. Why not Sigurd?

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Possibly.

Or, Lucas technically didn't exist at the time of either the original or Melee's release...

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/0717/index.html

I mean, theoretically, you could even have a cheap internet translator translate the bio for Ness on the Japanese Melee site to figure out why Ness remained in Melee instead of Lucas, but that's all theory...
Lucas WAS around for Melee, though. There was going to be MOTHER3 for N64, but it was cancelled. Then it was moved to the GBA a couple of years later.

EDIT: Never Mind. Looks like you knew it already. *shrug*

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
He will return. But only because he was top tier (Not because of his popularity because he was only known in Japan before Melee).

Once he's nerfed though, people will play as him less.

BELIEVE IT ! <Naruto'd>

Top Bottom