• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you believe Marth is coming back?

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Yup, and on top of that, I've been told by a little birdy that he'll be in the starting roster

Okysho

Smash Ace
Starting Roster? I don't think so... I'd rather not get into a debate about prophets and such especially so close to the JP release date... there's only a week and a half until then, it just makes me nervous and sometimes angry...

I know how you feel, but I think Marth's moveset should stay the same, especially since looking at the other veterans and their movesets remain, I think it's safe to say that if you've used Marth before, it shouldn't be a problem re-adjusting to the brawl version (aside from the new physics). I actually hope it says the same (that's why Ike is so different in the first place)

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Marth coming back with his current moveset would likely mean a huge nerf to his abilities, Such as the devastating blade range. You certainly seem to be a Marth lover but think outside the box for a moment if balance is a lot more vital in Brawl than it was in Melee.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Of course he's coming back.
Would be very cheap on Sakurai's part to just take on new-gen FE characters and leave behind the roots of the franchise.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I'm actually one of the few people who think that he really shouldn't get nerfed in brawl. Now before you flame me at least hear me out. I think that the change in game mechanics by itself is already sort of nerfing Marth, Fox, and any other edgeguarding reliant characters. The auto sweetspot feature makes almost all types of on the stage edgeguarding completely useless. That takes away Marth's dreaded down tilt, foward smash, and spike edgeguards. Then we have the new airdodging system that allows characters to airdodge almost anytime they want with almost no fear of death. This makes a lot of Marth's off the stage edgeguarding useless too, as the opponent can just airdodge and then immediately up B and auto sweetspot before you can get back up.

Now for Marth's on stage stuff. Chaingrabbing is gone. Characters tend to live to higher percents in this game, not because of decreased knockback but because of better recoveries, more floatyness, ect. That means that characters living past the "sweet percentage" or the point where Marth can no longer combo into his kill moves will become more common. And with Marth's edgeguarding auto nerfed by the game mechanics, Marth may well have a difficult time killing opponents, as he lacks a safe kill move (one that you can throw out without much fear of punishment).

I'm inclined to think that Marth's up B would be like Ike's or Sonic's in the sense that it probably won't auto sweetspot. If that's the case then Marth will be just as easy to stage edgegaurd as he was in melee. While that's no big deal in itself, combine that with the fact that Marth will have trouble edgeguarding them and you'll see a larger gap in survivability.

All these are factors that could hinder him in brawl without even touching his character design. It's these kinds of things that could make or break him and seeing how most of the new characters are pretty good (theoretically/based off of E for all) I think nerfing him would be unnessecary. And if he is nerfed, I think it should only be minor things like changing the hitbox on his F-smash so it doesn't hit below sword level, or nerfing the backswing of his utilt, but not changing his lag times or ranges too much. Because in all honesty, those things are all he would have going for him, He'd no longer be "the best edgeguarder hin the game." He'd no longer have his godly gimping potential. He'd no longer be high tier, even without doing anything to him. He'd still be a fast and effective swordsman though, which is all I really want for him.
Yeah, Marth doesn't need as much nerfing as people think, because on the stage he's really not that good at killing.

~Chaos~

Smash Rookie
Don't count on it, Marth would be a very old player and we don't know Ike's moveset yet. For all we know, Ike could be very similar to Marth. I'd be very suprised if she's in.

jordanshuriken

Smash Rookie
they're remaking marths game and all so he'll be from a pretty recent title soon so why not put marth in brawl
besides Ikes movesets are way different and he's a slow character
so putting marth in wouldn't make him a clone

raidenwing

Smash Cadet
i don't think marth or roy will be coming back since some or the leaks and rumors are saying that and Ike has the exact same moveset as marth and roy

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
HAY GUYZ DIDJA KNOW?!?!EXCLAMATIONPOINTQUESTIONMARK

RUMORS =/= TRUTH

Just because a 'friend' says 'that' or 'this' does not make it true, same applies to the 'prophets' and the rumors and leaks.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
HAY GUYZ DIDJA KNOW?!?!EXCLAMATIONPOINTQUESTIONMARK

RUMORS =/= TRUTH

Just because a 'friend' says 'that' or 'this' does not make it true, same applies to the 'prophets' and the rumors and leaks.
Well numb nuts, think that Famitsu has the same credibility as a "prophet"? I always thought Marth, Roy, and Ness were certainly out (along with Doc, Pichu, and Y.Link (Majora' s Mask).

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
No, no, what you guys just read is no different from Sakurai on Lucas' announcement, "Could he surpass Ness?" Meaning, he didn't really confirm Ness is debunked.

Since I like to move on with the new and ditch the old, so with Marth and Roy maybe actually deconfirmed a-ok with me(coming from a Marth/Jigglypuff user).

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Or maybe, "Can he surpass his predeccesors" simply means just that? How will he fair against Marth and Roy? That quote could be taken a number of ways, and it really isn't sufficient evidence to prove a character's status one way or the other, even if the exact quote itself is from a reliable source. To me, all it really does is hint that Marth and Roy are in brawl in some way (boss, AT, PC, ect.)

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
If Marth was to be in Brawl, there would be happy cows. However, some will be mad cows. (cause people don't like him for some reason.)

I really hope he returns him and...

Ganondorf (w/ new moveset)
Cpt.Falcon
Falco (w/ new moveset)
G&W
Luigi
Mewtwo (nerfed please)
Jiggly Puff
Ness

And of course Marth

That is my veteran wishlist.

Okysho

Smash Ace
Ness was confirmed, Via the sticker screenshots on brawl central. Ness was the biggest argument used against Marth. Now since the argument against Marth is so similar, and with Ness now confirmed, there's nothing agains't Marth not being in brawl!!! MARTH SUPPORTERS WIN!!! BWAAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAA

Okysho

Smash Ace
Ness was confirmed, Via the sticker screenshots on brawl central. Ness was the biggest argument used against Marth. Now since the argument against Marth is so similar, and with Ness now confirmed, there's nothing agains't Marth not being in brawl!!! MARTH SUPPORTERS WIN!!! BWAAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAA see marth support thread for more details!

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
@thread title: of course marth is in so many reasons but i'll use the best one the fire emblem icon is marth's sword nuff said

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Yeah with Ness' confirmation those articles are void... in a deconfirming way I mean...

But Marth and Roy were together in the article... maybe Roy has a chance after all... and we'll be eating our words from all this time XP

Were those articles even published from an inside source or were they just the magazine's views?

Top Bottom