• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you believe Marth is coming back?

Igneous42

Smash Ace
^ Marth's game is amazing. It's the first real RTS game, and it's easily still one of the best RTS' of all-time. And for the better comment-meah, I'm tired! :laugh: Fire Emblem 3 and 7 ftw! (still need to borrow my friend's FE8 and beat it) :grin: Seriously, play those games=they are amazing.
I would but I don't own a fami.......actually I do own a famicom....not a super famicom though
They need to start releasing all the past fire emblem games on VC.

Crispy Fries

Smash Cadet
I think Marth will return because:

1. Original moveset
2. Most popular and well known Lord
3. Important to his games
4. Possible advertisement

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I am pretty sure Marth is coming back so we have a QUICK Fire Emblem character. Ike has def replaced Roy, being the strong fire one and all.

I mean come on he's Marth... he'll be back.

MAST3R

Smash Apprentice
Its possible for him to return..but i'm not very sure. Ike might just be the only FE rep.

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
Unless he was replaced by Sigurd or even Eliwood... I don't see why they wouldn't have Marth in Brawl. He was very popular to play as on Melee and Sakurai knows that. Of course it's more his moveset than Marth himself so he could pass it on to someone else. However that someone is not Ike, the only move they have in common is "counter". If Ike is the sole FE rep I wont be too dissapointed as long as Marth's moveset is still in the game. Wiseguy thinks Takamaru could use that moveset but I think that's a bit of a stretch.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
I think he's coming back for sure... but who knows... we have so little info on returning characters it's hard to say... there really is no reason to cut him... and he deserves the FE spot more than anyone...

(btw... doesnt this belong in the character discussion...?)

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
...And when your sister dies, you tell me you wouldn't be wearing a memento.

Marth and Ike aren't comparable, btw. Two different playstyles, if you haven't noticed.
ummm i dont got a sister and marth is pretty G@y for wearing a lil sissy tiara to remember his sister -_-

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
His sister gave it to him before she died. She told him to wear it as a good luck charm. It was her dying wish you insensitive *******s.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
This topic discussion isn't going anywhere with all the mindless point-proving(think on how it could be 'mindless'. Yes, you guys just want to argue to boost your already low self-esteem).

The roster will be revealed when the game is released in Japan in another couple weeks, that's when we'll know Marth is in or not. Popular or not, he is endangered on appearing.

BlueYoshiPinkShoes

Smash Apprentice
Marth has got to be one of, if not the, most popular characters in the game.
Yet, you never know what Sakurai might do next.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Actually, Marth is not the most iconic Fire Emblem character, Sigurd is. Just because he was the first lord people assume he has more right that anyone, and is more iconic than any of the others, but that's false. Marth was not only pathetically weak in his game(s), but he's also lackluster as a character. All of his popularity came from SSBM. Sigurd, and even Ike have much more reason to be in Brawl than Marth, but Marth was a completely original character in SSBM, so why remove him? Roy has more reason to be removed, because he ws a clone (of Marth, of course), but there's no reason to remove an already complete, original character.
You are so ****ing wrong.

Marth is the most popular Fire Emblem lord in Japan.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
I liked Marth's style, but to face off against the variety of opponents in the next game I think he may actually need to be buffed. Perhaps a better recovery and side special would do it but this is just my opinion.

Machete

Smash Ace
I liked Marth's style, but to face off against the variety of opponents in the next game I think he may actually need to be buffed. Perhaps a better recovery and side special would do it but this is just my opinion.
Marth... buffed?
He'd be a monster.

IkexMarth

Smash Journeyman
There's already a topic somewhere else. There really is no need for this topic. Bottom line: Marth is coming back. No matter how much you dislike him, guess what? He's popular in Japan, has been the most reoccuring lord, and is getting his own DS game.

Okysho

Smash Ace
Actually, Marth is not the most iconic Fire Emblem character, Sigurd is. Just because he was the first lord people assume he has more right that anyone, and is more iconic than any of the others, but that's false. Marth was not only pathetically weak in his game(s), but he's also lackluster as a character. All of his popularity came from SSBM. Sigurd, and even Ike have much more reason to be in Brawl than Marth, but Marth was a completely original character in SSBM, so why remove him? Roy has more reason to be removed, because he ws a clone (of Marth, of course), but there's no reason to remove an already complete, original character.
I'm sorry but your impudence must be smitten.

Weak? I'm sorry but saying that a character in Fire Emblem is weak is a personal preference and is based entirely on your skill to level up and train a character. Marth is one of my best characters in Fire Emblem 3 currently I'm sorry but he is by no means weak.

Lackluster? His character is lackluster? It's about as lackluster is Link's mirror shield! Just because SNES had trouble with cutscenes and telling stories doesn't mean his character is nothing. There are many many more resources which dive deeper into Marth's character such as the Manga and anime series.

Marth's popularity did NOT come from SSBM alone in the America's without a doubt yes. But Marth was already a #1 FE character in Japan since FE3 was released.

These silly arguments that say "Marth being the first Fire Emblem lord isn't a good reason to include him." Why was he then included in Smash Bros Melee? It wasn't just because of his stunning good looks. It's because Marth's game (being the first Fire Emblem Lord) opened up an entire new gaming Genre (turned based RPGs) and that his third game FE3 remains the best selling game of the FE series.

Sigrud though he may be Sakurai's favourite LORD (emphasis on lord, because Sakurai's favourite FE character OF ALL TIME is Navarre from FE3) but that means nothing compared to the general popularity opinion of Japan, his main audience.

I do agree with you that he is a completely original character in Melee and has no reason to be removed, however saying that Sigrud deserves the spot more than he is like saying Luigi replaces Mario.

Not only that but Sigrud is a COMPLETE copy of Marth down to the last detail of his sword (which it's design is almost IDENTICLE to that of the falchion) Since Sigurd is Sakurai's favourite FE lord, he takes a place in his memories as Ike's alternative.

I'm sorry but anyone who ties to downgrade Marth (let alone someone with the guts to attempt to bring down one of Zevox's posts) will be dealt with accordingly...

Okysho

Smash Ace
A memento, maybe. But sure as hell not her clothes!
In the anime before Elis is captured (later to be killed at the end of book 2) while Marth's castle is under seige. Elis places her tiara on Marth's head then using a warps staff, sends them outside the castle to escape. After your sister Places on your head, then sacrifices herself so that you might have a better life, think twice about what it stands for before removing that crown...

Okysho

Smash Ace
How is Marth better than Ike? Isn't Ike a really good lord as far as his stats go (in both of his games)

Heck my Ike got to the point where he could have soloed some levels if he had wanted too.
First off, I'd like to point out that only for a few chatpers is Ike's class actually "lord" he gives up the title in Radiant dawn and never becomes a lord again. But your game stats don't really matter in smash bros. "OMGZ! MY IKE HAS 30 SRNTH! WHY DOES HE SUCKSORS?!" No it doesn't work that way. the power of the character isn't based on your game's stats. Currently, my Marth (FE3) could probably take on my Ike (PoR AND RD) If you've never played all of FE3 I suggest you don't compare game strengths.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
I'm sorry but your impudence must be smitten.

Weak? I'm sorry but saying that a character in Fire Emblem is weak is a personal preference and is based entirely on your skill to level up and train a character. Marth is one of my best characters in Fire Emblem 3 currently I'm sorry but he is by no means weak.

Lackluster? His character is lackluster? It's about as lackluster is Link's mirror shield! Just because SNES had trouble with cutscenes and telling stories doesn't mean his character is nothing. There are many many more resources which dive deeper into Marth's character such as the Manga and anime series.

Marth's popularity did NOT come from SSBM alone in the America's without a doubt yes. But Marth was already a #1 FE character in Japan since FE3 was released.

These silly arguments that say "Marth being the first Fire Emblem lord isn't a good reason to include him." Why was he then included in Smash Bros Melee? It wasn't just because of his stunning good looks. It's because Marth's game (being the first Fire Emblem Lord) opened up an entire new gaming Genre (turned based RPGs) and that his third game FE3 remains the best selling game of the FE series.

Sigrud though he may be Sakurai's favourite LORD (emphasis on lord, because Sakurai's favourite FE character OF ALL TIME is Navarre from FE3) but that means nothing compared to the general popularity opinion of Japan, his main audience.

I do agree with you that he is a completely original character in Melee and has no reason to be removed, however saying that Sigrud deserves the spot more than he is like saying Luigi replaces Mario.

Not only that but Sigrud is a COMPLETE copy of Marth down to the last detail of his sword (which it's design is almost IDENTICLE to that of the falchion) Since Sigurd is Sakurai's favourite FE lord, he takes a place in his memories as Ike's alternative.

I'm sorry but anyone who ties to downgrade Marth (let alone someone with the guts to attempt to bring down one of Zevox's posts) will be dealt with accordingly...
Ok, first of all, Marth is not weak because of my personal experience, he is because he has poor growths, and doesn't promote. And he doesn't always have Falchion either.

As a character, Marth is uninspired. He's just the typical "Don't worry, I'll save the world" type of character, with Royal etiquette. He's just your general "Hero" archetype, and doesn't have a very compelling personality.

You want to know why he was the most popular lord as of FE3? Because the only other 2 lords were Alm and Celica, who were nothing special at all. FE4 is widely considered the best FE ever made (for good reason), and Sigurd is a far more powerful, and more likable character than Marth.

I'm not trying to downgrade Marth here, He's one of my mains in SSBM. I'm just not a fan of him in FE, and I'm not the only one. When considering the popularity of a character, you have to take into consideration not only the people that love the character, but also those who hate it. Marth is loved by a lot of fanboys, but he's equally hated by many hardcore FE players. Rarely do you find someone who is on the fence. Sigurd may not be loved by as many people, but he's certainly not hated by as many either. It's like comparing those olds boy bands (like N'sync and whatnot) to Tool. N'Sync certainly had more fans, but they also have many people who hated them, whereas Tool is either loved, or generally liked by a good portion of listeners.

None of that matters now though, beause Marth was already in FE (I could go on about why I think he was chosen instead of Sigurd, but I won't bother) and already is a completed character who just needs some tweaking, and he's ready for Brawl. There is no reason to remove him whatsoever. I don't want him removed. That's the bottom line.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Marth has more importance to the series as a whole than Sigurd... but Sigurd is more popular apparently...

Personally I'd like to see them both... but then everyone would complain "zomg too many blue-haired sword users..." which I really think is dumb...

Marth definitely deserves the #2 spot... but Sigurd is a good pick for #3 imo...

hello_kitty

Smash Journeyman
I can see why Marth can't come back, but the 2nd remake of his game looks convincing enough. (I personally think Ike is the most recurring Lord since Marth's 2nd games are just remakes) but either way Fire Emblem 1 has so much support that I don't think it'll get excluded.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
No good reason not to. Unless we get different FE characters. Someone mentions an axe wielder and a polearm user?

IkexMarth

Smash Journeyman
So if Sigurd is sooooo popular, and his game sooo great, why doesn't his game get remade like Marth's game? Also, did Sigurd help bring FE to America? NO

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
The chances of Marth not being in the game are slim to none.

Seriously, he's one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters and his game hasn't even been released in the Americas yet! It's crazy! And he's one of the best characters in the Smash Bros. metagame, so not keeping him in would be a big mistake.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Ok, first of all, Marth is not weak because of my personal experience, he is because he has poor growths, and doesn't promote. And he doesn't always have Falchion either.

*Snip*

I'm not trying to downgrade Marth here, He's one of my mains in SSBM. I'm just not a fan of him in FE, and I'm not the only one. When considering the popularity of a character, you have to take into consideration not only the people that love the character, but also those who hate it. Marth is loved by a lot of fanboys, but he's equally hated by many hardcore FE players...
Good god, this is why hardcore FE fans make me angry, and my reasoning for wanting Micaiah in turned into "because FE fans don't." The whole "personal experience and personality mean nothing" mantra really makes me uninterested in vesting my time in playing a good round of FE.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
@Aldonite. Can you guess why Marth's additude is so much like the other FE lords? Because they all copied him, duh. That cliche additude is actually quite popular and has ben very successful. And Marth's growth rates are decent. The fact that he can get to lvl 50 helps a bit.

So if Sigurd is sooooo popular, and his game sooo great, why doesn't his game get remade like Marth's game? Also, did Sigurd help bring FE to America? NO
Because each of Marth's games are almost as popular, and put together that makes them more popular than his? Maybe they will remake his game later? (I doubt it though). Sigurd was going to be in melee, but he got cut for Roy (who was an advertisement) Sigurd is a pick that most people would accept, except for one large problem. Marth gets in first and Ike is already in. Those two character's inclusions drastically cuts his chances of being in brawl. He'd make a cool assit trophy though.

I can see why Marth can't come back, but the 2nd remake of his game looks convincing enough. (I personally think Ike is the most recurring Lord since Marth's 2nd games are just remakes) but either way Fire Emblem 1 has so much support that I don't think it'll get excluded.
Once again, that second game is both a remake AND a new game. Book 1 was the remake of FE1. Book 2 was actually a sequel. It's like putting PoR and RD in one package. They may come in one case, but they're still completely seperate games. You can even just skip book 1 if you want and go straight to playing book 2. That makes Marth the most reoccuring Lord. And if you want to be technical, Ike was only the star for about half of RD, so he's really only been the main character for 1.5 games.:laugh:

@TheMagicalKuja- Personal experience just shouldn't be use when determining if a FE character is good in the game. However, if personal experience truly ment nothing, we wouldn't play the game at all.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I'll have to agree, Ike is the complete opposite of Marth in terms of playstyle.

Okysho

Smash Ace
Though he was originally slower than bowser at E for all and I heard that his speed was slightly hyped up, Ike is still nothing like Marth, plain and simple. If that doesn't mean anything to you, look at their swords. One giant broadsword and a slim longsword. Does that not spell different styles?

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
Though he was originally slower than bowser at E for all and I heard that his speed was slightly hyped up, Ike is still nothing like Marth, plain and simple. If that doesn't mean anything to you, look at their swords. One giant broadsword and a slim longsword. Does that not spell different styles?

haha, right? I love how people think that Ike is like Marth...Ike is a powerhouse and is slow....COMPLETE opposite of the prince.

So yeah, Marth is going to be sick in Brawl,

Anyone think his moveset will change? I'm kind of upset and happy at the same time with all of shieks moves being the same...that is so......boring but at the same time...easy to adjust to.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&

haha, right? I love how people think that Ike is like Marth...Ike is a powerhouse and is slow....COMPLETE opposite of the prince.

Anyone think his moveset will change? I'm kind of upset and happy at the same time with all of shieks moves being the same...that is so......boring but at the same time...easy to adjust to.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord

um...

how do you know sheik's moves are all the same?

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Oh B moves...

that doesnt mean all her A moves will stay the same...

Also... you can edit posts... makes the thread a lot less spammy...

Top Bottom