• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do pro Kirby players ever copy abilities of their opponents or team members?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I never see them do that, since neutral b is a great suicide move among other things. But you think certain characters would be worth copying. Snake could be a useful copy if Kirby could drop the grenades like snake to edge guard. MK Kirby could incorporate the tornado well into the moveset.
What do you guys think?

FTWin

Smash Cadet
well, it all really depends on Who is playing the kirby, but yeah, alot of Kirb's keep hats.
When i say it depends on the kirby, some players, me included in that "some", prefer to just spit 'em for the 10%-ish
But like you said, the hats can beVery useful.
Say you know how to do the shield drop with snakes nades, it adds a whole new level to your game, giving you a fairly deadly projectile for them to have to watch out for.

Foufy

Smash Apprentice
My friend owned an MK main the other day by taking the tornado and having ridiculous recovery with it.

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
I rarely take the hat myself. Kirbyciding is part of my play style, I have gotten quite good at it. There are only a handful of characters I bother taking and I only take them if I feel the player wont fall for my Kirbycide.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
no1 at higher lvls of play get eaten by that swallow unless u midgame it like anticipate a roll into the wrong direcion and ur already sucking air there

lockdown018

Smash Rookie
no1 at higher lvls of play get eaten by that swallow unless u midgame it like anticipate a roll into the wrong direcion and ur already sucking air there
Its really not that hard to suck them up on the stage, since everyone goes for shieldgrabs now, instead of trying to poke at their shield with a fair or something, just drop in from above and when they try to shieldgrab u just suck em up. No one good falls for kirbycides though, if that is what you refering too.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Its really not that hard to suck them up on the stage, since everyone goes for shieldgrabs now, instead of trying to poke at their shield with a fair or something, just drop in from above and when they try to shieldgrab u just suck em up. No one good falls for kirbycides though, if that is what you refering too.
There are actually a fair amount of good people who fall for them. However, you need to do it right. Most successful kirbycides don't involve jumping/walking offstage. They mostly involve being offstage and using inhale, generally when the opponent is also offstage.

rgrwilco

Smash Apprentice
my partner is snake and mass nades is my game =)
so yeah it really helps to absorb your partners skillz
cool or gay combos include

mk and kirby, mass nado
charizard or bowser, fire ftw

i like peach too, the toad doll iono it helps sometimes

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Guessing it depends mostly on who their opponent/teammate is. There's a few abilities that fit better in Kirby's moveset than the guy he copied it from, and sometimes the ability itself is better than the original owner's version (ie Falco Kirby's laser being lower to the ground and because of that easier to laser lock with). But there's also some that are worse (like MK's whorenado), but there isn't as many of them.

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
I like having reliable projectiles, and some of them help you approach more easily, like thunder jolt.

Dual Kirby

Smash Apprentice
i dont normally tale the hats usually go for the 10% dmg except if im facing a mk mainer or a game and watch because i can use the tornado in my strategy and...black kirby just looks really good i wish it was a costume =/

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
I rarely take the hat myself. Kirbyciding is part of my play style, I have gotten quite good at it. There are only a handful of characters I bother taking and I only take them if I feel the player wont fall for my Kirbycide.
What if it's Dedede?

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
I never see them do that, since neutral b is a great suicide move among other things. But you think certain characters would be worth copying. Snake could be a useful copy if Kirby could drop the grenades like snake to edge guard. MK Kirby could incorporate the tornado well into the moveset.
What do you guys think?
No. It's always better to Spit. There are a Hand full of Hats that are worth Taking, and every single one of those characters can hit you out of the Swallow. Snake can hit you with his Fairs first hit, Falco with his Dair, ROB with his dair, MK with his dair.

Why would you use a Hat when swallow is infinitely better. It's like DDD's, but With less range. That still doesn't mean it's useless.

And to be honest, if the person that your fighting doesn't use his Bmove Better than you, he sucks and isn't worth mentioning.

no1 at higher lvls of play get eaten by that swallow unless u midgame it like anticipate a roll into the wrong direction and ur already sucking air there
No one does a mistake/predictable roll while in high lvls of play. Your not getting the swallow if you run at them then stop in front of them and use it (it does actually). You gotta try to get it. So yeah, they do.

Kirbycide isn't impossible as well. If you do it predictably, it's not gonna work. That's kinda obvious.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
No. It's always better to Spit. There are a Hand full of Hats that are worth Taking, and every single one of those characters can hit you out of the Swallow. Snake can hit you with his Fairs first hit, Falco with his Dair, ROB with his dair, MK with his dair.

Why would you use a Hat when swallow is infinitely better. It's like DDD's, but With less range. That still doesn't mean it's useless.

And to be honest, if the person that your fighting doesn't use his Bmove Better than you, he sucks and isn't worth mentioning.

No one does a mistake/predictable roll while in high lvls of play. Your not getting the swallow if you run at them then stop in front of them and use it (it does actually). You gotta try to get it. So yeah, they do.

Kirbycide isn't impossible as well. If you do it predictably, it's not gonna work. That's kinda obvious.
Dfat, as much as I respect you as a player, no. Just no.

You mention in your post a hat that is better than your swallow and that can't hit you back (D3).

Also, for ROB's, I will take his Dair's damage for that laser anyday. In 12 seconds you can get the damage back on him (assuming you fire the laser as soon as it is available every time).

I'm pretty sure Falco can't hit you, but again, the damage is given back in a matter of seconds. Snake? Same thing. Those grenades are so good I'd even eat a Fsmash for them if I thought I could survive it.

MK's hat is more useless than Inhale IMO...

Also, you forget Lucario (who can hit you after swallow, but it's worth it), Pika, Charizard/Ivysaur, Boozer, ZSS, Samus (if you ever fight one... lulz.), Mario, Wolf, DK, Ganon (no I'm kidding... DON'T EVER TAKE GANNON'S!), TL, Shiek, Fox, Pit, and Wario.

Wrong, everyone makes mistakes, especially if you have good mindgames. Running up to them and using inhale CAN work, especially if they shield/spotdodge because they're expecting something else.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Dfat, as much as I respect you as a player, no. Just no.

You mention in your post a hat that is better than your swallow and that can't hit you back (D3).

Also, for ROB's, I will take his Dair's damage for that laser anyday. In 12 seconds you can get the damage back on him (assuming you fire the laser as soon as it is available every time).

I'm pretty sure Falco can't hit you, but again, the damage is given back in a matter of seconds. Snake? Same thing. Those grenades are so good I'd even eat a Fsmash for them if I thought I could survive it.

MK's hat is more useless than Inhale IMO...

Also, you forget Lucario (who can hit you after swallow, but it's worth it), Pika, Charizard/Ivysaur, Boozer, ZSS, Samus (if you ever fight one... lulz.), Mario, Wolf, DK, Ganon (no I'm kidding... DON'T EVER TAKE GANNON'S!), TL, Shiek, Fox, Pit, and Wario.

Wrong, everyone makes mistakes, especially if you have good mindgames. Running up to them and using inhale CAN work, especially if they shield/spotdodge because they're expecting something else.
I can honestly say that I would rather use swallow instead of the Hat in the majority of cases. The only exceptions I would say were ROB, Snake and Pikachu. ROB and Snake can Punish you with dairs. I can tell you that playing as Kirby, you need to keep your %'s low as much as possible. Those characters are my exceptions. But then again, they are my exceptions becuase
I normally dont take the hat. The inhale is a part of my playstyle for dmg.
Against a Campy Snake, I could Jump off the stage and use nades; against a campy ROB, I could use his B to interrupt his Gyro and against Pikachu, I could Jump in the air and use his B and he couldn't get to me. Why would I take Falcos B move if he can't hit me while I crouch? Which makes him have to approach if he has more damage than me?

I wouldn't take the hat against other characters because I like to use it more than often. Reverse Momentum Swallow out of a Short Jump is Too good. Swallow off the Stage is Too good as well. There are more way's to KirbyCyde other than your opponent being on the edge and you fast Falling it.

But, in to sum it up, I use swallow as part of my aggro game. If you feel that your opponent has a Spamable B move, go ahead and Take it. I would, but not always and not at every percentage. While at High Percentages, I like to have my Swallow ready in Case I have the Shot to Kirby Cyde. :)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Okay, that last post makes more sense. I do agree that inhale is awesome, I just disagreed that no hats, or even few hats, are worth it.

Also, that's part of the appeal of Falco's hat. You can laser him and he can laser you. + He can't reflect all your SHed lasers, and the ones he does soar over you. It's a win/win scenario.

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
I say i dont take hats because i work more on my ground game as kirby, rather than using special that ill prolly lose in a hit or 2 anyway. Its just not worth it to me. I'm more of a tilt player myself.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oh by the way, looking at the title of the thread, taking your partner's powers can be a vital part of your strategy. (Team Beep FTW!)

Percon

Smash Lord
I agree with hats being not worth it for the most part. Rob's is ok, as is Snake's,s o I take those sometimes. I always take D3's, just because I like the extra range. I'll always take bullet seed, too.

You can't really use the laser against Falco. He's got a reflector and you fall too slow to really make use of landing lasers.

The fact that a lot of characters can hit you out of it is stupid... can Snake, of all people, really hit you? :/

It's fun for toying with people who are a lot worse than you, though, especially if they don't know they can hit you out of swallow. Powers are fun to use... PK freeze is awesome. :p

Rinehart

Smash Journeyman
Imo. I say its useful for the oli match. Everyone knows Kirby's pikmins>Olimar's(when throwing).

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
I take powers sometimes, other times its good to have the heavyframes. I've saved my partners many many times by inhaling them as they are getting KO'd of the stage. Stealing a power in teams is situational. If u think a power will give ur team an advantage then go for it. If ur teaming with a snake and ur teams gets a stock up try and take ur partners power. That way u just trade grenade damage effectively keeping ur team in the lead.

I like taking MK's as its disrupts the rhythm for the other team and lets my partner get in some free damage.

Mr_Orion

Smash Apprentice
I do, but only from specific characters. (Falcon, Wolf, Lucario, Ivysaur for example)

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
I agree with hats being not worth it for the most part. Rob's is ok, as is Snake's,s o I take those sometimes. I always take D3's, just because I like the extra range. I'll always take bullet seed, too.

You can't really use the laser against Falco. He's got a reflector and you fall too slow to really make use of landing lasers.

The fact that a lot of characters can hit you out of it is stupid... can Snake, of all people, really hit you? :/

It's fun for toying with people who are a lot worse than you, though, especially if they don't know they can hit you out of swallow. Powers are fun to use... PK freeze is awesome. :p
Quoted for Truth.

As I already said, letting your opponent get free damage on you by copying the hat almost makes it not worth it. Not getting hit is veeeery important. :ohwell:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
And I restate that certain hats can REALLY help you out. Like the Pika hat... I was getting 2 stocked by my friend's Pika a few days ago until I got the hat in the last life. That hat helps Kirby out so much (not just for ultra spam, but also for comboing, becoming more unpredictable, knocking him out of move... oh, and ultra spam.) that I managed to come back and win the match.

Imo. I say its useful for the oli match. Everyone knows Kirby's pikmins>Olimar's(when throwing).
Very, very wrong.

Top Bottom