• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do any of your friends consider lucario cheap?

Browny

Smash Hater
I thought it would never happen, my fav character being called cheap.

but recently my brother has completely refused to play against me as lucario, even if he uses snake / G&W / olimar, he believes lucario is unbeatable. but more than that, at my uni's game club my constant playing of lucario has stirred up a lot of hatred for him, its come to the point they dont want to play me at all if i use him and all gang up on poor lucario in 4 player. I can use snake, G&W for 1vs1's and they dont care :(

:(

ArkUmbra~

Smash Rookie
Wow, I never thought that would actually happen. Then again, that's a fine example of how people work sometimes. Can't beat something so they complain about it~

Try playing as someone else for a while if they're going to be stupid about it. Hopefully they'll forget about their massive chains of defeats and you can slowly bring Lucario back. Ehehe.
Honestly though, if you play a good Snake against them, they'd probably get fed up of that and call him cheap (maybe that's justified..?), by the sounds of things.

Consider this a twisted moral victory, and another sign of Lucario's dominance :D

My friends haven't commented on Lucario being cheap, which is actually quite surprising when they get annoyed at little things like edgehogging (Extremehog<3).

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
They're scrubs then. I have a friend who hates how Lucario gets stronger as he takes on damage, but you're friends should learn more about their characters or how to fight Lucario, rather than complaining.

Sanzi

Smash Apprentice
ok this happened with me in melee. i first played peach, and each time i'd win my friend would call me cheap until the point where he wouldn't want to play anymore. then i switched to falco (which was a bad move) and he played for a bit until he realized how gay he was. so i said to myself... who can i play as so i KNOW he can't make up silly excuses anymore? i decided to play as his character, fox. it all went smooth after tht because after i beat him each time, he had nothing to say.

tht doesn't mean stop playing lucario, use him only for serious 1v1s maybe

Tyrael64

Smash Journeyman
My roommate absolutely loathes Lucario because of me, and calls him a "freaking blueberry". But then again, I find his Ike equally annoying, so it balances out. The guy hated my Mewtwo back in Melee too. Maybe he just doesn't like evasive playstyles.

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
Play Snake or learn to chaingrab/infinite with D3 or Shuttle Loop/Whorenado spam with MK and teach him what cheap means then! ^_^

The only thing my friend says is that he finds Lucario a difficult character to play against for him due to the aura buff, disjointed hitbox (especially of Fsmash), AS, ability to combo, and that he can be played effectively many different ways.

dr00

Smash Apprentice
a similar thing happens to me when i play olimar. all of my rl friends think "he has no place in the game" so i had to prove everyone wrong by using him and they all say things like "can't lose to olimar!"

really though, it helps your game a lot. lucario's my main, but i'm a lot better with olimar because i usually have to play 1 on 3.

if people won't play you because "your character is cheap" than it means they just don't want to get better.
i would say turn on handicap, but that's sort of defeating with lucario lol.

i will suggest you force your friend to play as lucario while you play as his main. after he actually tries to play as lucario he'll understand.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol i would, but the guys @ uni are kind of pi$$ed lucario replaced mewtwo and refuse to play him because of that :p

dr00

Smash Apprentice
i would purposefully pick lucario every single time then just because i love messing with whiners :p

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Wow...my brother doesn't like playing against me when I use Lucario. Says Lucario is extremely cheap.

Then I remember that he uses Pit, laugh at him, and ignore him afterwards.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Lets see...

"His aerials come out instantly!"
"Stop dairing I like to uair!"
"You can kill me at 100% but I cant kill you until 150!"
"His grab range is too good"

... yeah I've had people think he's too good. =P

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Don't let them tell you what to do...! If you're winning with Lucario and they're complaining then that's thier problem. Its not your fault that you can beat them with Lucario...right?

That's stupid if people won't face you just because you can win...my brother does that sometimes but I just either fight computers (boring...) or go on wifi. (which sucks) Or I just fight my friends. (Yay!)

tedward2000

Smash Champion
All I hear is "gah!! Dair!"(grumble)
I have not been called cheap yet, but only because I hate his IC, so its equal.
-t2

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
wow, there is no such thing with me at ALL. the closest thing was a buddy who would try every time to find a new character to beat me with Lucario, but no such thing as "cheap character". If anyone refuses to play against you with Lucario they're just being a spoiled little kid. Deal with it: he's better than you are, so instead of complaining go practise.
either way comparing Lucario to Pit, DDD, MK or others just doesn't fit. Lucario demands LOTS of practise to be used effectively, while these characters are really pick-up and play.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
My Lucario has never been considered cheap. I don't even understand how anyone can call Lucario cheap. I mean I can understand calling G&W cheap but Lucario? It boggles the mind.:confused:

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
The only things I could even think of for someone calling Lucario 'cheap' are disjointed hitboxes, lingering hitboxes, hit stun, and ability to camp/combo/flee when necessary. My friends always under-estimate the range on his attacks and their timed length.

The problem is likely that they don't know how to fight a character who doesn't have a single or small set of potential playstyles. They may be camped one minute, and by the time they get past that they could be being combo'd if they are weaker in skill.

You should try telling them you'll beat them only using Ftilt and Dthrow to deal damage; I often play like that when I'm not really trying.

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
or play ganon
I just have to respond to this: Ganon is the king of Norfair! You can sparta kick them off the top platforms to their deaths, Ganoncide them into the lava (they die and you just take damage and bounce back up -- and if you miss you just grab onto the many ledges), dair them off of one of the 6 edges, spike them with the Kick, etc. He rules on there! ^_^

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I have had people call my Pika cheap in melee and gang up on me. Of course, it might have had something to do with me camping, spamming thundershock, hiding in corners during FFA, and Thunderwalls all over the place. I usually change characters without telling them, which buys me some stocks until they realize who I am. This is especially true if someone else picks a character I am known to second, and I pick a character I don't play much.

Pentaoku

Smash Apprentice
No but I have been called incredibly frustrating to fight because they haven't fought anyone else who can use him ->decently<-.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
This is a reenactment:

Geoff:teeth:: Man, ur Lucario is too scary, he's cheap when u use him.:mad:

Phi1: Why is that?:confused:

Geoff: BAS, fair, grabs, and DT killz! that's why.:urg:

Phi1: ...

Geoff: Can't u go easy on me?:(

Phi1: Let's see, u can either deal with a Lucario main, who is only considered by some pros to be deadly/obnoxious :bigthumbu, or I could always whip out Dx3/Falco, which u know as bei-:demon:

Geoff: NOooooooo! T3h lazahs/chaingrabs, they burnz!:crazy:

Phi1: Sooo?:lick:

Geoff: I've culminated a recent appetite for BAS and Dair!:psycho:

Plenty more chars that could be cheap, 'nuff said.

Fr0gY

Smash Rookie
im having the same problem my mates think lucario is cheap all because i enjoy using him.
but its coz they cant seem to fight him properly =S

Timbers

check me out
Yeah. Friend considers him to be cheap and "can spam and play gay better than anyone." I would have asked him why, but he mains MK.

It was gold sig material.

so i went to a tournament and we are all talking about our chars. and i was the only main lucario there infact i used to only play lucario, and the guy looks at me and says "lucario? dude he is so hax!"....thus here was my response "lucario hax? dude get real snake is a cheap ***!"

adaptor17

Smash Journeyman
oh if you win with a character, they say theyre cheap by pointing out their strongpoints.of all charactersthough, i find lucario being of the least cheap.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
Every character has their own way of being cheap dood!
Indeed, people do look at all the strong points of a character and then forget the weaknesses of the character sometimes. Then I'm sure they'd worry too much about the strong points to apply strategy to the weaknesses. OR MAYBE SOMETIMES, THEIR DIABOLICAL PLAN WAS THWARTED. HMHMHMHAHAHA!

i agree with you both, lucario is the least cheap because he starts out literally weaker than every character, and is near impossible to reach full power unless your dang near good at surviving fatal hits.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
wow, there is no such thing with me at ALL. the closest thing was a buddy who would try every time to find a new character to beat me with Lucario, but no such thing as "cheap character". If anyone refuses to play against you with Lucario they're just being a spoiled little kid. Deal with it: he's better than you are, so instead of complaining go practise.
either way comparing Lucario to Pit, DDD, MK or others just doesn't fit. Lucario demands LOTS of practise to be used effectively, while these characters are really pick-up and play.
Snake and MK says hi! :D
i agree with you both, lucario is the least cheap because he starts out literally weaker than every character, and is near impossible to reach full power unless your dang near good at surviving fatal hits.
CAPTAIN FALCON SAYS HI.

Honestly, the only things "cheap" about Lucario are his stupidly powerful/ranged Dair and his stupidly long-lasting Fsmash. :\

nash123

Smash Journeyman
Well if they keep complaining then fight them with a different character, maybe one that can benefit lucario in tournament play.I don't mean to sound like a *** but kind of "use" the people you fight to improve your other characters and save lucario for real tournament play.

Timbers

check me out
Every character has their own way of being cheap dood!
Indeed, people do look at all the strong points of a character and then forget the weaknesses of the character sometimes. Then I'm sure they'd worry too much about the strong points to apply strategy to the weaknesses. OR MAYBE SOMETIMES, THEIR DIABOLICAL PLAN WAS THWARTED. HMHMHMHAHAHA!
MK has no weakness. At least Snake has a laggy aerial game. MK is broken in every sense of the word. Killpower has no right being mentioned here. He's pro gimp, and shuttle loop kills everything ever. "Bawww but he's a light character." So. When he has 0 lag on all of his attacks, it's pretty hard to ever land a killmove on the puffball. Lucario is luckily one of the few characters who I think contend well with MK, as both of his primary kill moves (AS and Fsmash) have some god tier range on them, and both have incredible spacing.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
MK has no weakness. At least Snake has a laggy aerial game. MK is broken in every sense of the word. Killpower has no right being mentioned here. He's pro gimp, and shuttle loop kills everything ever. "Bawww but he's a light character." So. When he has 0 lag on all of his attacks, it's pretty hard to ever land a killmove on the puffball. Lucario is luckily one of the few characters who I think contend well with MK, as both of his primary kill moves (AS and Fsmash) have some god tier range on them, and both have incredible spacing.
...If he's as broken as you say he is, why is Snake still more than doubling his wins on the Tournament list?

Timbers

check me out
Because Snake is still ****. He just has obvious weaknesses, those being a trash aerial game. Meta has killpower, speed, gimp. He literally goes unpunished on all his moves (save for fsmash and dsmash)

And plus considering the only character with an advantage on MK happens to be Snake, I'd imagine that would increase Snake's wins over MK. Snake's ftilt comes out quick enough, and has enough range, to actually punish MK. No other character has that luxury. I can go around saying "MK can do this and that, except against Snake" but that would be boring. Snake has more disadvantage in matchups than MK, it just happens the few characters (if any....but Snake) good against MK happens to be, well, Snake.

I just derailed this topic, so I'm going to stop posting regarding this topic.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Maybe it has been said..

But, its worth repeating!

Just pick the guy that gets 4th most, and play his character. If they call him cheap, ask why there is such a differance in how you place and how your friends do..

If it is a 1 v 1, start as Lucario, and then after your first loss be whoever he was...

And win.

What you are trying to do here is make one of them go lucario. Then destroy them.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
I used to play MK exclusively, and ppl complained he was cheap. Then I picked up lucario and I hear it as much if not more. My friends just like to rationalize their inability to beat me.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Why do I hear nothing about GW? He can be far more irritating than even MK in a lot of ways.

Also - a lot of people underestimate any character that is not Snake and MK, and are surprised when they lose to a non-Snake/MK. The solution is - everyone plays cheap that can beat me, otherwise the lower-tiered character wouldn't have won. If he was fighting fair, then I would have won, because my character is better.

Top Bottom