• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Nintendo's main takeaway from people not buying the expansion pack is "Well, I guess people don't care about retro gaming", then, no offense, they're clearly not paying that close attention to either the fan base or the market.

Both Nintendo 64 and Genesis coming to NSO got some great initial reception, it was only when the pricing came out that reception swapped overnight. Likewise, there's still an incredible demand for the games released on pre-Wii Nintendo hardware. Look at the most downloaded ROMs on any ROM-sharing website and you'll see a list dominated by Nintendo games. People will genuinely pay hundreds of dollars for copies of games like Earthbound, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver just because of the prestige they have. People were dusting off their Wii Us in the year of our lord and saviour 2021 to buy Metroid Fusion just because they wanted to play it before Dread.

It's not that people have no interest in buying retro Nintendo games, they're just frustrated with how few steps have been taken forward and how many have been taken back since the Wii's Virtual Console launched 15 years ago.
This expansion has really made me wonder what things would be like if the Wii U HAD succeeded.

While we'd probably still have to pay to play Switch games online thanks to the PS4, Nintendo would most likely still be convinced that the Virtual Console works, since a lot of things the Switch does are change for the sake of change. At the same time, had the Wii U succeeded, would Odyssey even exist? Would Smash 5 go the same direction? At least BotW was in development long enough for that to not be a concern.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's becoming more glaring about the online service and legacy content offerings is that they feel increasingly at odds with the buyer appeal structure of so much of the company.

One of the most valuable currencies in the game market is the promise of potential. Something that's good to great now, but can be even better later entices a lot of people, and Nintendo in many respects has done that well. The Wii's motion control promised a lot of interesting uses (granted that only some lived up to but still), the Switch promised the potential console gaming on the go, heck even the design of Nintendo's Directs is unofficially based around the idea of potentially seeing a game from a series you like show up, hence you should watch it.

NSO and now the Expansion Pack is the opposite of that. What's on offer now is not only not that great, but because of Nintendo offering no real road map for what's coming down the line other than a few games that will come out at some point, there's not much genuine investment in the whole enterprise. If this is what they're doing with 20-year-old N64 games (with no sign of even GB/GBC/GBA titles) then what chance is there of the really valuable stuff like Gamecube releases and beyond? And when they do come, how outrageous will the price be for those?

It's a setup that only doesn't raise confidence in the model, it likely lowers many player's hopes that it will ever be any better.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What's becoming more glaring about the online service and legacy content offerings is that they feel increasingly at odds with the buyer appeal structure of so much of the company.

One of the most valuable currencies in the game market is the promise of potential. Something that's good to great now, but can be even better later entices a lot of people, and Nintendo in many respects has done that well. The Wii's motion control promised a lot of interesting uses (granted that only some lived up to but still), the Switch promised the potential console gaming on the go, heck even the design of Nintendo's Directs is unofficially based around the idea of potentially seeing a game from a series you like show up, hence you should watch it.

NSO and now the Expansion Pack is the opposite of that. What's on offer now is not only not that great, but because of Nintendo offering no real road map for what's coming down the line other than a few games that might come out at some point, I there's not much genuine investment in the whole enterprise. If this is what they're doing with 20 year old N64 games (with no sign of even GB/GBC/GBA titles) then what chance is there of the really valuable stuff like Gamecube releases and beyond? And when they do come, how outrageous will the price be for those?

Its a setup that only doesn't raise confidence in the model, it likely lowers many player's hopes that it will ever be any better.
Another thing that really doesn't inspire confidence is the presence of some very weird holes in the existing offerings. In addition to EarthBound Beginnings and The Mysterious Murasame Castle being missing despite having English releases, and it being about a year since the limited time translation of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light making it possible to add if they wanted to, somehow Mach Rider, of all games, still isn't available of NES Online.

If Nintendo can't even add all of their first party titles to the NES version, despite Mach Rider having been available early on for literally every iteration of the Virtual Console, it doesn't inspire much confidence that all of the major releases for other systems will be added.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
That's true, she's not gotten super-amazing results outside of Protobanham (one of the foremost Japanese players) who took a Japanese national, but Dabuz (alongside his Olimar / Rosa) and PinkFresh have been her Western flagbearers. They've achieved some notable results at recent American nationals, with the latter almost beating MKLeo as recently as two weeks ago.

And while I think she's being hyped up a bit too much as well by most tier lists, it's still worth noting that Min Min's still thought off very highly.
Fair enough. I also found Justice, too. But overall that's about it. In that sense, I don't think she compares to the other top tiers precisely because most of her results come from only one scene. If only one region is arguing that a character is broken, maybe they really aren't. Even if Japan has a good amount of players in the top 50 (from what I remember, Japan is second only to the US in that regard).

It's funny that you mentioned Dabuz, he says in his 12.0 tier list that Min Min has an amazing neutral and her edgeguard can get really annoying, but also acknowledges she has some clear weaknesses at high level play. For reference, he puts Min Min in top 20, but not top 10, while Joker, Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra are in top 5.

For the record, I don't think I or Sigran are arguing that she's not good, just that she isn't an absolute top tier or majorly broken.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
the camera angles in KH1 are such a pain to deal with

the amount of times the game expects you to know where to go and doesn’t even give you a hint or direction is quite annoying

some bosses have way too much health. That one in the sea world with the giant pitch fork as an example had 3 health bars and spammed thunder constantly.

the controls in some off the worlds are really annoying etc

these are the problems I have with the game. I’ve heard they’re all fixed though in KH2 or at least 80% of them are but so far the play through off KH1 for me has been absolutely rough.
Okay yeah you will probably like KH2 more then. I wasn't sure if it was the core mechanics, the story, or just the quality of life stuff that bugged you.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Another thing that really doesn't inspire confidence is the presence of some very weird holes in the existing offerings. In addition to EarthBound Beginnings and The Mysterious Murasame Castle being missing despite having English releases, and it being about a year since the limited time translation of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light making it possible to add if they wanted to, somehow Mach Rider, of all games, still isn't available of NES Online.

If Nintendo can't even add all of their first party titles to the NES version, despite Mach Rider having been available early on for literally every iteration of the Virtual Console, it doesn't inspire much confidence that all of the major releases for other systems will be added.
Stuff like that speaks to general lack of strong novelties in what's offered. Imagine how much more appeal the N64 package would have if there were a series of Japan only games that were announced as coming to the service (maybe with some getting localizations). That still wouldn't justify the price point, but it would suggest the service is trying to offer up something unique.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Stuff like that speaks to general lack of strong novelties in what's offered. Imagine how much more appeal the N64 package would have if there were a series of Japan only games that were announced as coming to the service (maybe with some getting localizations). That still wouldn't justify the price point, but it would suggest the service is trying to offer up something unique.
It spoke volumes when they didn't even consider translating Joy Mech Fight to tie in with Sukapon being an Assist despite the game not having a whole lot of text lol.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It spoke volumes when they didn't even consider translating Joy Mech Fight to tie in with Sukapon being an Assist despite the game not having a whole lot of text lol.
Or just putting it on NES Online as-is, since they threw us to the wolves when it came to Puyo Puyo 2's menus.

Aligo

Smash Ace
If
Maybe if they wanted to really spice up the offerings they should have added the satelaview games to the service, because they haven't been available for decades.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
If you wanted to play Super Mario 64 in 2006 on the Wii, when the game was only ten years old, you could head to the Wii Shop Channel and spend ten bucks to buy it.

If you wanted to play Super Mario 64 in 2021 on the Switch, when the game is now twenty-five years old, you need to either buy a secondhand and price gauged copy of a limited time rerelease, or fork over fifty bucks for an online subscription service. And the kicker is you don't even get to keep the game.

And this is for, of all games, Super Mario 64, a game that has it better than a lot of others in Nintendo's back catalogue.
I agree with this, but just want to note that a lot of stores still have 3D All-Stars in stock still (my local Walmart has had like, 10 for the past couple of months), and eBay prices range around $40 to $50 right now. Target actually just ran a sale of 3D All-Stars for $40. I almost jumped on it but then figured I'd never play it, so it's not worth it.

3D All-Stars is a rare case of Nintendo actually making more stock than intended for a limited edition item.

Last edited:

Aligo

Smash Ace
They are clearly remember it, due to the costume in Odessy, and it isn't going to be competing with any other release since those never happened. There is no third party that requires to pay either. It just seems to make a whole lot of sense, and I don't think anyone woud dislike the move.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm going to hold onto my big Deluxe post until that thread exists. This is gonna be a doozy.

Also people aren't bringing up preparation. Someone else on this thread just brought it up, myabe it was pupNapoleon pupNapoleon ? It's clear that Sakurai negotiated for characters to show up in Ultimate from Smash 4 ahead of time, so why wouldn't he just do the same here?

If Deluxe really is a thing, it has to be approved of already. This means that for each character negotiation, you would have to also agree for them to be in the next game. I would think Sakurai would get that out of the way now rather than have to go back later and change things.

This means that Deluxe really wouldn't have to worry about the money for these characters as it's already been spent.
It was probably me- I've suggested this for a long time.

The successor to Ultiimate has only 3 options.

1- deluxe cut (everything and more, it cannot be the 'next game' strictly from marketing, but also because even a new game bringing everything back woul need to use all assetts and have little time). I think Ultimate taking the top dog fighting spot from Street Fighter 2 is actually on par with the fact that Ultimate will continually be released in this way (HA! Imagine a collection in the future with Smash 64, Melee, and Ultimate vers 4)
2- A complete reboot, with deeper mechanics, a full story mode (perhaps), and other huge changes
3- Spinoffs

Compare this to power creep in an anime- escalation cannot continually happen, eventually a story has to get iterative.

But to get back to the beginning, yes- obviously they knew about Sm6sh when Sm4sh DLC was happening, and there is no part of me that believes they negotiated CLOUD twice. Nintendo does do one thing consistently- play the long game. If the Switch Pro/Switch 2 has been in development for some time, which we know from developers having 4K models, then ... yeah.
Smash Ultimate DX (again, I think it will be called something in relation to the fans, but this is irrelevant; or perhaps Smash Ultimate Special & Smash Special Ultimate) will likely come out to sell the new system; that is a WINNING strategy. So... holiday 2023 or 2024.

I was hoping Smash Ultimate would be a platform title, and just get content for years. Instead, I am thinking the strategy is going to be to continually update the game with new iterations of Ultimate; the total DLC will likely never end up costing more than the base game itself, and this keeps the rounds of speculation tighter, with more excitement when it does come back each time. It also gives Sakurai a break.

________

On a slightly different note, I know the statements about getting third party characters are generally, "WOW, Nintendo must have paid a lot." I'm not entirely sure about this. It is perhaps even more valuable for third parties to get into Smash, than it is for Smash to get those characters. This may not be universally true, but it is definitely very relevant in most cases. Honestly, there could even be instances where it would make more sense for a third party to pay Nintendo to get their character in Smash (not that I believe this happens). Either way, just getting sales off the DLC might be all the third parties get. The publicity cannot be topped (which is the singular biggest reason I think we will get more from Smash- Smash news is FREE MARKETING and INTENSE HYPE in entertainment news, beyond just the gaming sphere).

With Ultimate, we have had dozens of companies and gaming industry leads come out to say they want their character in Smash. Back in Melee, this is all it took to get a character in the next game. While the size of Smash HAS grown, I can see this truly being a way to leverage third party relationships (which was rumored back to Sm4sh, dating back with Rayman). Not to mention, from a perspective of Sakurai- a lover of video games- there is no better opportunity to work with beloved icons than Smash; he could actually request any character in gaming and get a chance to be the developer.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It was probably me- I've suggested this for a long time.

The successor to Ultiimate has only 3 options.

1- deluxe cut (everything and more, it cannot be the 'next game' strictly from marketing, but also because even a new game bringing everything back woul need to use all assetts and have little time). I think Ultimate taking the top dog fighting spot from Street Fighter 2 is actually on par with the fact that Ultimate will continually be released in this way (HA! Imagine a collection in the future with Smash 64, Melee, and Ultimate vers 4)
2- A complete reboot, with deeper mechanics, a full story mode (perhaps), and other huge changes
3- Spinoffs

Compare this to power creep in an anime- escalation cannot continually happen, eventually a story has to get iterative.

But to get back to the beginning, yes- obviously they knew about Sm6sh when Sm4sh DLC was happening, and there is no part of me that believes they negotiated CLOUD twice. Nintendo does do one thing consistently- play the long game. If the Switch Pro/Switch 2 has been in development for some time, which we know from developers having 4K models, then ... yeah.
Smash Ultimate DX (again, I think it will be called something in relation to the fans, but this is irrelevant; or perhaps Smash Ultimate Special & Smash Special Ultimate) will likely come out to sell the new system; that is a WINNING strategy. So... holiday 2023 or 2024.
Y’know, I wouldn’t mind a spin-off with that too

like a tactical rpg, or hell, even MOBA

just please not a gacha if it can be helped
They are clearly remember it, due to the costume in Odessy, and it isn't going to be competing with any other release since those never happened. There is no third party that requires to pay either. It just seems to make a whole lot of sense, and I don't think anyone woud dislike the move.
uhhhh… no offense but what are you talking about? Costume in Odyssey??

Aligo

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, I should have specified, in mario Odessy there is a Satellaview spacesuit costume for mario, meaning they haven't completly forgotten about it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Y’know, I wouldn’t mind a spin-off with that too

like a tactical rpg, or hell, even MOBA

just please not a gacha if it can be helped

uhhhh… no offense but what are you talking about? Costume in Odyssey??
I think if we got a 'different genre Smash,' it would just be a different game. Nintendo Kart is that popular idea.

With spinoffs, I mean, franchise specific Smash (like Super Mario Smash. Or more likely, Fire Emblem Smash). Think, what they do with the 'Warriors series. Or maybe it would be done like Marvel Vs.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You got a source for that? Cuz according to Down Detector the crash happened two minutes after the reveal.

View attachment 334310
I mean, just anecdotal.

Do you have the record of reports from, like, the five minutes prior to 7am? Because I can only get the site to report results in fifteen minute intervals, and by 7:01 there were 19,686 reports of the site being down, but the previous report was at 6:46 am. Then by 7:16 there were some 37k reports, so they increased over time.

I don't doubt that at those times twitter was down, I just want to know when it first went down.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
As much as Ultimate DX with some additional features, whether it'd be characters, game modes, etc, would be nice, I'm really just expecting the next Smash to have cuts and continue on. Really, as much as it'll suck losing some really awesome characters, there are still other awesome characters yet to appear in Smash that Nintendo can get and use.
  • Capcom is the big one with plenty of fan favorites, like Chun-Li, Zero, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Okami, etc.
  • If Nintendo and Microsoft's friendship remains and Banjo&Kazooie and Steve stay, Master Chief is a big possibility. Not to mention Microsoft has Bethesda IPs like Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, other Rare IPs like Killer Instinct, Ori, Cuphead, etc.
  • Sega still has plenty of Sonic characters like Eggman, Tails, Shadow, etc. But Sega also has other IPs like Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, Virtua Fighter, Phantasy Star, Atlus IPs like Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey, etc.
  • Namco has Tales of, Dark Souls, Soulcalibur, Xenosaga, etc.
  • SNK has Samurai Shodown, with Nakoruru being a popular choice. They also have Metal Slug as well. And King of the Monsters.
  • Konami, if they stay, can easily get another room for Castlevania, since Alucard is popular and was another choice besides Simon and Richter. If Metal Gear stays, Raiden could be another possibility. There's also Contra and Bomberman.
  • Square Enix is likely to stay, since they are quite willing to cooperate with Smash, they just have the issues with copyright. Besides Final Fantasy VII and Dragon Quest, there are the other Final Fantasy games, Nier/Drakengard, The World Ends with You, the Bravely series, Tomb Raider, Bubble Bobble, Space Invaders and a whole list of other IPs.
  • There are still other companies yet to enter, like Koei Tecmo, with Ninja Gaiden and the Warriors series, Marvelous with No More Heroes, Ubisoft with Rayman, the Rabbids and Assassin's Creed, or even possibly Sony, with God of War, Rachet & Clank, Bloodborne, etc.
  • The numerous amount of indie games and teams that could get a fighter or even be promoted to get a fighter, like Undertale, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, etc.
  • And there are still plenty of Nintendo characters that people want yet to become playable, like Waluigi, Dixie Kong, Isaac, Bandana Dee, etc, as well as characters from new series or games that could be added, like Metroid Dread, Astral Chain, Ring Fit, etc.
Like Ultimate definitely has some big names and while cuts for some of the characters are inevitable and will suck, there are still plenty of characters for Nintendo to work for and get for Smash Bros. Ultimate won't be the end of the road for the Smash series.

That said, a 2nd series that focuses on Nintendo characters to co-exist alongside Smash Bros. would be nice.

Last edited:

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
People weren't happy about the initial NSO deal since something that was originally free was now being paywalled. But they were begrudgingly willing to accept it because most assumed that hey, maybe it means that Nintendo is actually willing to seriously invest in its online infrastructure (lol in hindsight). NES/SNES online was never the main selling point of the online subscription model. It was simply a way to entice customers to get on board with the new paid online model going forward, as well as a way of saying, "Yeah, we know it sucks that we're now charging you for something we used to offer for free, so here's a nice perk we're throwing in so that this doesn't feel like a rip-off."

The expansion pass doesn't have that kind of benefit propping it up. It has to sell itself on its own merits rather than relying on the goodwill of customers paying to obtain something important (online multiplayer) which was once free. The expansion pass is just a lousy deal any way you slice it, but if you compare it to what base online pass offers then it's especially awful.

For $20/year, base NSO gives you:
  • Online Multiplayer
  • NES/SNES online libraries (with online multiplayer for select titles)
  • A few extra goodies like Tetris 99 and Pac-Man 99
  • Cloud save data backups
  • Functionally with the NSO smart device app and voice chat app
  • Free game trails on a rotating basis
  • Occasional freebies in some games like AC:NH and SSBU
By comparison, the extra $30/year for the expansion pass only gives you (thus far):
  • N64/Sega Genesis online libraries (with online multiplayer for select titles)
  • Rental DLC for select titles
A few people have mentioned that Nintendo may simply lower the price of the expansion pass in response to this backlash but I seriously doubt the near future will transpire in such a rosy fashion. It's much more likely that Nintendo will simply put more and more perks behind the premium paywall to eventually get people to cave in. The consoomers can band together and fuss and cry on social media all they want, but without any meaningful leverage that can be exercised against the decision makers at the top, the decision makers can and will simply wait out the rage until it dies out and carry on, business as usual. Every successful large company knows they can do this, and Nintendo is no exception.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well if nothing else, for all the cries of Nintendo being out of touch, they certainly knew what they were doing when they didn't announce the price in the Direct.
To continue off of this, I'm thinking Nintendo thought that the AC Direct would distract from the pricing announcement more than it has, and tried to bury one under the other.

Idk, maybe elsewhere people are talking more about the new AC stuff, but from my vantage that's not been the case.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Heck, 1.5 and 2.5 were both on the PS3. I could maybe buy 2.8 and 3 being cloud only since Fragmentary Passage and all of 3 were designed for the PS4/XBO first, but can 1.5+2.5 seriously not be managed on Switch?
Well it's not that the Switch can't run those games...

it's that they don't want to go through the effort of making "real" ports lol.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Or just putting it on NES Online as-is, since they threw us to the wolves when it came to Puyo Puyo 2's menus.
I was so happy when the Kunio+Double Dragon collection actually went and translated all the Famicom games that were in that collection for NA for the first time.

But Nintendo is...well, they claim it's for historical purposes, but it's probably just an excuse for laziness...slavish that games on the VC and Nintendo Online have to be exactly the way they were originally released.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
personally i dont think Castlevania and Minecraft and Dragon Quest needs another rep in the next smash game but i think the best option will be to expand their content with alt skins and get the koopalings treatments
we have 4 dragon quest and minecraft and 2 castlevania characters and that can easily be expanded to 8 it might require extra voice acting but i think its worth the effort

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The thing with the KH ports it that Square Enix largely seems to see the Switch as another 3DS in terms of content. There's releases like timed exclusivity of Octopath/Bravely Default II or novelties like Chocobo GP, but a lot of its focus is on major AAA releases, and often in the Western market; thus the Switch isn't really a priority (the port of Balan Wonderworld was telling in that regard).

I mean, this is the same company that still hasn't put the first six Final Fantasy titles on the system, even to the point of putting recent remasters on mobile and PC before even suggesting that they will for the Switch. The system's too successful to entirely ignore (hence stuff like the Dragon Quest XI & Trials of Mana ports), but there's been very little sign that SE has put a lot of significant resources into it overall.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
If Nintendo wants to make the offer more appealing while retaining the ridiculous price tag, I think the best thing they could do is what they're doing with Animal Crossing... but with a lot more first-party DLC, including already-released DLC like BotW's DLC, or Octo Expansion, for example.
Having it be an "expansion pack" for a significant chunk of Joe Schmoe's existing game library - that's the only way I could see this being not totally insane.

Paying $50 USD a year for all of your first-party titles being fitted out with all available DLC - with the DLC naturally being lost if the subscription runs out...
That would actually be really great - a perfectly considerable alternative to buying the DLC up-front - yet not so much so that it'd cannibalize sales from those that just want to buy DLC for a few titles.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do wonder if Nintendo plans on making the Expansion Pack "a better deal" down the line.

N64 and Genesis games by themselves are hard to swallow for 50 bucks, even if there are some great games there.

But if say, GB, and GBA games were added, the whole shebang gets easier to swallow.

If Nintendo is just having N64 and Genesis games and plan on adding nothing else, then they're utter morons.

But if they do plan on adding more, THEN JUST TELL US ITS ON THE WAY!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I do wonder if Nintendo plans on making the Expansion Pack "a better deal" down the line.

N64 and Genesis games by themselves are hard to swallow for 50 bucks, even if there are some great games there.

But if say, GB, and GBA games were added, the whole shebang gets easier to swallow.
I wouldn't pay 50 even for them adding handheld games on there. Give me actual content for ****'s sake. Like once you start adding Gamecube or Dreamcast, I'll take it then even if it's bumped up to 60 because at least Gamecube I can understand a price hike.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion

If Nintendo is just having N64 and Genesis games and plan on adding nothing else, then they're utter morons.

But if they do plan on adding more, THEN JUST TELL US ITS ON THE WAY!
This is what I don't get. They obviously knew this was going to be a PR ****show. That's why they tried to sneak it by underneath Animal Crossing announcements.

If they had a "but wait, there's more!" up their sleeves... I feel like they'd have been extremely stupid not to have further cushioned the blow by being up-front about that. That they didn't tells me this probably really is just what they have to give us. For that price. Which - holy ****.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Nintendo wants to make the offering more appealing while retaining the ridiculous price tag, I think the best thing they could do is what they're doing with Animal Crossing... but with a lot more first-party DLC, including already-released DLC like Octo Expansion, for example.
Having it be an "expansion pack" for a significant chunk of Joe Schmoe's existing game library - that's the only way I could see this being not totally insane.
At the end of the day they need to offer more than isn't contingent on already owning something else, because for someone who hypothetically doesn't own many or any of the game DLC being offered, it's still not a good deal. It's also just renting something which should be permanently owned. They can start with a much more comprehensive back catalogue, but even with adding Gamecube and GBA, that price is still a big ask.

For $50, given what they've priced at $20, and given what the competitors offer, I think you'd not only have to offer those other two systems as well, but take a page from the other two and offer a rotation of free games monthly. Now those can be rented, because they're full free games, but they really need to sweeten the deal from the ridiculous offer of old games and DLC rental for more than double base price that it is now.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wouldn't pay 50 even for them adding handheld games on there. Give me actual content for ****'s sake. Like once you start adding Gamecube or Dreamcast, I'll take it then even if it's bumped up to 60 because at least Gamecube I can understand a price hike.
The GB and GBA games were an example.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Categorizing GBC/GBA games as non-content is absolutely ridiculous. The GBA has a WAY better library than the Gamecube or Dreamcast.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Categorizing GBC/GBA games as non-content is absolutely ridiculous. The GBA has a WAY better library than the Gamecube or Dreamcast.
For you maybe. :101: Wario Land 3 is one of my favorite games of all time but I'm not paying 50 dollars for it. Clearly you would, and that's a you thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom