• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Granted it doesn't make sense with Timmy regarding licencing issues. I mean if Danny has been continuing to appear why not Timmy? Aren't they under the same creator Butch Hartman?
I know by your other replies that you're just incredibly ignorant about most things about the game and are instead looking to **** on it to give yourself a weird sense of superiority when you're on an internet forum for a children's party game, but like...it's because Fairly Oddparents has international licensing issues due to other companies like Disney and Nelvana handling the distribution in certain countries.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl is not so bad...just has some issues mainly outside of gameplay?

Well, I wasn't interested in the game, and I don't think it would have topped Smash, but so far, even with its flaws, it looks good for what it is, does it?

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
So, Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl is not so bad...just has some issues mainly outside of gameplay?

Well, I wasn't interested in the game, and I don't think it would have topped Smash, but so far, even with its flaws, it looks good for what it is, does it?
Thats what seems to be the general consensus, yeah. People just want aesthetic issues addressed first and foremost.

osby

Smash Obsessed

It's really good in some aspects and pretty below-average in others.

The quality of games is almost always subjective and it's especially true in this case. Whether you'll like the game or not depends on what you want from the Nickelodeon crossover fighting game. Personally, I'm disappointed with it, but it's absolutely worth checking out if you're interested in the gameplay.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's really good in some aspects and pretty below-average in others.

The quality of games is almost always subjective and it's especially true in this case. Whether you'll like the game or not depends on what you want from the Nickelodeon crossover fighting game. Personally, I'm disappointed with it, but it's absolutely worth checking out if you're interested in the gameplay.
Then maybe I will check it out sometime when I get the chance.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I can't really get into Nick All-Star due to not being too much of a competive players myself & the game being quite low budget in term of animations& the like.

Still, there's a solid base in there gameplay & character wise, and if the devs & the fans can keep the train going long enough to fix up any problems most peoples have with the game. Then I say it deserve all the loves it can get, so long some folks (aka both Nicks & Smash fans) don't try to flamebait each other at any easy opportunity.

Smash ain't going nowhere, a little bit of competion with another game ain't going to hurt. In fact, it might help it alot if all goes well!

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
To be fair, with a lot of modern games, when you buy them on release day, you're paying to betatest the game and eventually get the final product for free.

Animal Crossing fans would know about this with New Horizons.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Honestly, the game is definitely on my radar, I just didn't want to pay $40 when I had 4 other games I wanted to buy and play this month lol.

Once it bargain bins in a month or two as most licensed gamed do, I'll definitely pick it up. I'm also waiting for Garfield to drop too, so once they're in and there's a price drop I'm definitely curious to pick it up. This is the first platform fighter since Rivals of Aether that looks actually competent, yeah I definitely wanna support it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The other thing to realize is that the game is shaping up to have a Battle for the Grid styled glowup, where a licensed fighting game with like no budget but a ton of passion improves a ton on the less-important non-gameplay aspects over time. The devs even said not to be surprised if within a year the game is completely different.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
TBH in the day and age of patches and postlaunch support, there's a lot of instances where a game's launch is really only a starting ground. There are a toooon of instances where game's look incredibly different not even a year or two later after more work has been put into them. There have even been instances where games that were rough have been salvaged into great games (No Man's Sky comes to mind), so it's always important to wait until there's a finished product and all is truly said and done before really grading it.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
While on the subject of NASB being good, can people who've actually played the game and know better than me answer this question? I know there's a RPS system involved in the gameplay that takes into account strong/weak attacks and their angle, and I've heard from some friends as well as people on Twitter say that that was implemented poorly. Is that true? What do you people who've played it think of the system so far?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
While on the subject of NASB being good, can people who've actually played the game and know better than me answer this question? I know there's a RPS system involved in the gameplay that takes into account strong/weak attacks and their angle, and I've heard from some friends as well as people on Twitter say that that was implemented poorly. Is that true? What do you people who've played it think of the system so far?
I think it's fun. It doesn't feel like it comes into play all too often but it's neat, and does make you think a little more about spamming the same attacks over and over again. The game doesn't have stale move negation, but this is a different way to handle such things.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Hey, uh, I upscaled the final mural to 4K. Somebody's probably already done it but I wanted to do it too, it was fun.
Here it is if anyone's interested. Data warning, though. It weighs in at nearly forty megabytes. It could definitely be better but we don't have access to the full-res mural with Sora yet meaning there's less base detail.

Here's a direct link. No way in hell Smashboards will embed this.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
SCENARIO: Nintendo introduces Fighters Pass 3 but it only consists of FIVE characters that have originated in mobile games and you are in charge of selecting the new fighters. The only rule is that you can't choose mobile games from already existing franchises, like Mario and Pokemon.
Alright, let's see...
  1. Crazy Dave (Plants vs Zombies) - Technically PvZ is on computers as well, but it's still known for being a mobile game. Personally, I'd prefer Dave over any of the plants on the basis that he has a lot more freedom with mucking around with all the different plants and tools
  2. Amber (Genshin Impact) - Genshin counts, right? It's a multiplat release, but it still often associated with mobile gaming. Anyways, I'm going with Amber over the established main character on the basis that the latter's gimmick is being able to use all the different elements... But as of current, they only have three of the seven elements available, and probably won't have the full set for another few years, so we can't properly represent them yet. Amber has her entire kit finalized from the star and is often promoted in supplementary materials, so I'd rather we go with her
  3. Red (Angry Birds) - The "basic" mobile game choice. We all know this guy already and I don't think I have to explain them
  4. Arknights rep - I just like the game. Only mobile game I play regularly, actually. Though, I feel like Amiya might seem a bit simplistic, but on the other hand I'm not sure who else to use. Maybe Ch'en or Siege, since they're the other main characters of the first and second arcs, respectively? Kal'tsit and her monster Stand, since she's one of the most important characters lore-wise? Or maybe we could have someone like SilverAsh or Surtr and have them nuke the place
  5. Euden (Dragalia Lost) - Hey, it's Nintendo's first original mobile game. Gotta represent it somewhere. Also because I need filler to round out the fifth slot

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Nick all star brawl may not have the polish of Smash, but it has developers with the same passion as Smash, despite the jankiness of the games asthetics the mechanics of the game are pretty good and they squeeze a ton of fanservice for fans of each of the properties involved, so i'd say its good.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I just don't have the same connection with Nickelodeon that I do with Smash and gaming, aside from the obvious SpongeBob (But really, who doesn't have a connection with SpongeBob?) I might pick it up, but it's not top priority for me.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
SCENARIO: Nintendo introduces Fighters Pass 3 but it only consists of FIVE characters that have originated in mobile games and you are in charge of selecting the new fighters. The only rule is that you can't choose mobile games from already existing franchises, like Mario and Pokemon.
Euden, Red, Candy Crush Girl, Crazy Dave, One of Those Gacha People

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
oh yeah I forgot about this neat little scenario

• 1. Gran/Djeeta (Granblue Fantasy): Probably the gacha game representative. Granblue might not be the highest grossing gacha (I think that award goes to Fate/GO), but it's one of the longest running and most influential, influencing genre trends and introducing significant systems like the Spark (those 40 summons you do in FEH to get a free banner unit? Granblue did that first). I do a full-length gush on the game in my The Gran(d) Case for Granblue essay, so definitely check it out. Cygames is a close business partner with Nintendo, so I think this is more likely than most would expect.
  • 2. Euden (Dragalia Lost): I guess he could be a pretty easy fighter to add, taking inspiration from Roy, Pit, and Shulk, and he represents a unique Nintendo series so like if we're limited then...yeah put him I guess.
  • 3. Red (Angry Birds): Angry Birds is like, one of the quintessential mobile games, and I think you could make an interesting moveset for Red based on the different bird types and structural items from Angry Birds.
  • 4. Player (Puzzles x Dragons): I don't really know how this would work moveset wise (is the Player even a character? What's the story of Puzzle x Dragons?) but Nintendo's worked with the series before, so it's a natural inclusion I think.
  • 5. Traveler (Genshin Impact): Do I really need to talk about how big Genshin Impact is? I don't think I do.
Honorable mention goes to Flappy Bird, who literally has Warp Pipes in his game.

Also FYI to all the people who included Crazy Dave from Plants vs. Zombies, PvZ was originally released for Windows and Mac OS X, making it invalid for this scenario. :p

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
1. Aether / Lumine (Genshin Impact) this speaks for itself
2. Arknights character
3. Euden (Dragalia Lost)
4. Some Idolmaster mobile game character
5. Evelysse (Star Ocean Anamnesis) YES I AM STILL SAD IT SHUT DOWN 😭

Theguy123

Smash Lord
If there’s anything we’ve learned from sora getting in smash it’s that Disney is on boards with smash. You know what that means.

Club penguin can officially get into smash. This is how we bring it back to life.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
i see many who said they want Arle to be the puzzle rep but Arle originally is from a dungeon game so i dont think it make sense to call her a puzzle rep.
would it be a downgrade for her if the only moveset or references are from a spinoff series?
As someone who would infinitely prefer Kiryu, I fail to see what makes him better, they're both from unrepped genres while being big Sega icons, only real differences are how they'd work and Puyo Puyo being bigger than Yakuza
"the" puzzle rep? Unrepresented genre? We have Dr. Mario.

Part of me hopes that Sakurai works on one last Smash game so the idea of having a smaller game makes the other devs more confident that they don't need to top Ultimate.
Nuts to that! I WANT other dev's trying to top Smash!

I want Everyone Is Here in Street Fighter 6!!

Whoever it is, I doubt Sakurai wouldn't at least show up to give some pointers to the new person so that Smash can be in good hands.
This presumes that Sakurai didn't already have a large staff working under him on these games. Who are already fully aware of how these games are made.

There was reason to believe it was fake due to Sora being one of those characters who'd always have fake leaks until he gets in. I used this exact phrasing like 10 minutes before the reveal when a friend said he heard it was gonna be Sora
That leak probably still WAS fake. If the same character get's faked every time, EVENTUALLY they're gonna end up being right. That doesn't mean the leaker was legit.

So, who's excited to play as Sora on the 18th?
I'm excited to complete my Spirit collection.

As far as additional characters:

-Rocko
-Heffer
-Raphael
-Donatello
-Ickis
-Krumm
-The Gromble
-Sokka
-Katara
-Norbert & Dagget
-Jenny (XJ-9)
Needs some Fairly OddParents and Jimmy Neutron.

Nick should honestly look for a bigger-budget gaming company. They would definitely be able to sell more then.
No, they should just give Ludiosity a bigger budget. They're fully capable of doing it. They just need more time and money.

Now Cartoon Network just needs to hire Aether Studios or McLeod Gaming. :p

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Now Cartoon Network just needs to hire Aether Studios or McLeod Gaming. :p
Better.

Nick vs. CN.

It really needs to happen.

A rivalry that easily matches DC vs. Marvel, Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter, Mario vs. Sonic (Nintendo vs. Sega), and Pokemon vs. Digimon.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
One other thing to note is that more competition in the platformer fighter genre can't be a bad thing. But right now, no one really has the tools to stand up at Smash's level. Thing is, it needs to start somewhere. I hope NASB is successful not just because Ludosity look like they care about the game, but because it might inspire other studios to do their own platform fighters too.

Amber (Genshin Impact) - Genshin counts, right? It's a multiplat release, but it still often associated with mobile gaming. Anyways, I'm going with Amber over the established main character on the basis that the latter's gimmick is being able to use all the different elements... But as of current, they only have three of the seven elements available, and probably won't have the full set for another few years, so we can't properly represent them yet. Amber has her entire kit finalized from the star and is often promoted in supplementary materials, so I'd rather we go with her
Why not Venti, then? I'd argue he's more popular and has more to work with.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
No XJ9 or Jimmy Neutron, no buy

I will stick by those words

and yes I’m aware of the licensing issues so… probably never
So a little bit of levity because the community is already making fun of both the game and the complaints about it, some of which are valid and some aren't and some are subjectively valid.

Also, someone in this thread mentioned something about games and launching not so great, and I want to be clear about something. I am very much someone who believes you only have one first impression and that when you are trying to sell a video game that first impression gets split in two: initial first reveal, and launch condition. That last meme I've actually referenced before, on this site, back in like 2018 or 2019. The reason is because people spend money on low quality games that launch in absolute disrepair and think it's fun because they are enjoying themselves without thinking of what that means for them and other gamers later on in terms of supporting bad quality product.

However, there is a difference between paying and not refunding for Fallout 76 or Anthem after there launches and paying for and not refunding for No Man's Sky or NASB after their launches. Sometimes companies really don't care and just what a cash grab and will lie and not put in the effort or very little afterwards to fix it, and sometimes a company really did the best they could or are at least very willing to improve what they have at launch. NASB is the best of all of these because not only has the game launch essentially as advertised but they have shown with their track record and good faith by being active with the community and as transparent as possible that they want this game to get better and succeed. It's clear that NASB had a low budget and a rushed production, so now we just have to hope or support it's success, but apparently it's made at least over $100K so here's hoping for even MORE success.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, getting to the real reason I quoted Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura

Mmm, so massive data mines happened, and it's likely Jimmy is coming based off of info gained from those datamines, but I would understand if you were weary about that.

Just keep in mind that the leaks for NASB thus far are looking to be correct.

Brief NASB leak history:

The devs tried to play down the initial Garfield leak (even though amongst all the other models had characters that weren't revealed yet but turned out to be playable), but then another leak came out revealing Aang, Korra and Toph but blacking out two other characters, the characters who aren't playable yet. One had what looks like grey metallic boots that might have spikes and people said Shredder, the other having been blacked out a bit below the picture which felt like maybe they had a tail and people said Garfield. They also leaked the launch roster character select, and this leaker swore basically 99.9% percent repeating without outright saying it that the boots were in fact Shredder. This leak got damage controlled by the Discord for NASB where they wiped it away and people wrote it off since there was an issue where one of the mods may or may not have been your average stereotype of a Discord mod and people conjoined the two issues.

Aang, Korra and Toph all get revealed before the game drops, game drops and people datamine it and find a number of interesting things like a Double Dare stage, a stage that seems like it belongs to Garfield as there are food references as well as statues of Garfield characters and Pooky (Garfield's teddy bear) in the background of the stage. It also has data that has Shredder's name and seemingly a stage for him. Then the datamining went deeper and has exposed something that happened in Blazblue Crosstag Battle as well as I think Smash 4 where we got the announcer saying names of characters who aren't in the game.

The announcer voicelines are for the following:
  • Jimmy Neutron
  • Plankton
  • Mr. Krabs
  • Squidward
  • Tommy Pickles
  • Vlad Plasmius
  • Zuko
  • Rocko
The devs have come out on the Discord and said this is all real, none of it is fake, however these voicelines were paid for in advance regardless if they could get the characters down the line or not. Thus, we can get DLC that aren't these characters, but it's very likely we WILL get these characters as there was already in interest in getting them.

If you want to check out any of this for yourself, here is a link to the Reddit thread that hosts all of this info.

I'm just here to help spread the hype, because the competitive community has taken this by storm and it's already getting patches to fix things, so it looks like it has a massive chance for success. NASB succeeding is good because it can be competition for Smash since it has a big deal IP in Nickelodeon to feature characters people love while also having enjoyable gameplay. Anyone who said it was a 'Smash Killer' was memeing or was using that as a quick way to say 'It can actually compete with Smash if done right', and NASB's success can actually do good things like push Smash to have longer post-launch support and include things we want like rollback netcode.

I mean, let's be real, even if this game came out super AAA in every way, how the hell do you compete with the game that let's you fight as Sora against your seven other friends playing Mario, Link, Steve from Minecraft, Cloud Strife, Banjo & Kazooie, Joker from Persona 5 and Simon Belmont while you play on the Mishima Dojo from Tekken and someone summons Kyogre from a Pokeball while another summoned Rodin from Bayonetta from an AT and then a couple minutes in you die from a Banana Gun shot into Steve's TNT just before the stage morphs into Hollow ****ING Bastion that then turns into Dive Into The Heart because Simon's recovery sucks? Like, c'mon man!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
  • Jimmy Neutron
  • Plankton
  • Mr. Krabs
  • Squidward
  • Tommy Pickles
  • Vlad Plasmius
  • Zuko
  • Rocko
There's also a line for Donnie Thornberry, who I'm very interested in why they would pick him. He's virtually just as well-remembered as Nigel, and I'd think he'd be a better fit for the game's Diddy equivalent than the Thornberrys' own chimp Darwin.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
There's also a line for Donnie Thornberry, who I'm very interested in why they would pick him. He's virtually just as well-remembered as Nigel, and I'd think he'd be a better fit for the game's Diddy equivalent than the Thornberrys' own chimp Darwin.
Yeah there are some others I didn't mention that I just found out about, which is dope.

I've never been so hyped for the launch of an unpolished game in a long time. It needs work, but I know the devs were willing to put in that work since Day 1, and it's so fun to play even now that I can't imagine where it will end up.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So a little bit of levity because the community is already making fun of both the game and the complaints about it, some of which are valid and some aren't and some are subjectively valid.

Also, someone in this thread mentioned something about games and launching not so great, and I want to be clear about something. I am very much someone who believes you only have one first impression and that when you are trying to sell a video game that first impression gets split in two: initial first reveal, and launch condition. That last meme I've actually referenced before, on this site, back in like 2018 or 2019. The reason is because people spend money on low quality games that launch in absolute disrepair and think it's fun because they are enjoying themselves without thinking of what that means for them and other gamers later on in terms of supporting bad quality product.

However, there is a difference between paying and not refunding for Fallout 76 or Anthem after there launches and paying for and not refunding for No Man's Sky or NASB after their launches. Sometimes companies really don't care and just what a cash grab and will lie and not put in the effort or very little afterwards to fix it, and sometimes a company really did the best they could or are at least very willing to improve what they have at launch. NASB is the best of all of these because not only has the game launch essentially as advertised but they have shown with their track record and good faith by being active with the community and as transparent as possible that they want this game to get better and succeed. It's clear that NASB had a low budget and a rushed production, so now we just have to hope or support it's success, but apparently it's made at least over $100K so here's hoping for even MORE success.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, getting to the real reason I quoted Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura

Mmm, so massive data mines happened, and it's likely Jimmy is coming based off of info gained from those datamines, but I would understand if you were weary about that.

Just keep in mind that the leaks for NASB thus far are looking to be correct.

Brief NASB leak history:

The devs tried to play down the initial Garfield leak (even though amongst all the other models had characters that weren't revealed yet but turned out to be playable), but then another leak came out revealing Aang, Korra and Toph but blacking out two other characters, the characters who aren't playable yet. One had what looks like grey metallic boots that might have spikes and people said Shredder, the other having been blacked out a bit below the picture which felt like maybe they had a tail and people said Garfield. They also leaked the launch roster character select, and this leaker swore basically 99.9% percent repeating without outright saying it that the boots were in fact Shredder. This leak got damage controlled by the Discord for NASB where they wiped it away and people wrote it off since there was an issue where one of the mods may or may not have been your average stereotype of a Discord mod and people conjoined the two issues.

Aang, Korra and Toph all get revealed before the game drops, game drops and people datamine it and find a number of interesting things like a Double Dare stage, a stage that seems like it belongs to Garfield as there are food references as well as statues of Garfield characters and Pooky (Garfield's teddy bear) in the background of the stage. It also has data that has Shredder's name and seemingly a stage for him. Then the datamining went deeper and has exposed something that happened in Blazblue Crosstag Battle as well as I think Smash 4 where we got the announcer saying names of characters who aren't in the game.

• Jimmy Neutron
  • Plankton
  • Mr. Krabs
  • Squidward
  • Tommy Pickles
  • Vlad Plasmius
  • Zuko
  • Rocko
The devs have come out on the Discord and said this is all real, none of it is fake, however these voicelines were paid for in advance regardless if they could get the characters down the line or not. Thus, we can get DLC that aren't these characters, but it's very likely we WILL get these characters as there was already in interest in getting them.

If you want to check out any of this for yourself, here is a link to the Reddit thread that hosts all of this info.

I'm just here to help spread the hype, because the competitive community has taken this by storm and it's already getting patches to fix things, so it looks like it has a massive chance for success. NASB succeeding is good because it can be competition for Smash since it has a big deal IP in Nickelodeon to feature characters people love while also having enjoyable gameplay. Anyone who said it was a 'Smash Killer' was memeing or was using that as a quick way to say 'It can actually compete with Smash if done right', and NASB's success can actually do good things like push Smash to have longer post-launch support and include things we want like rollback netcode.

I mean, let's be real, even if this game came out super AAA in every way, how the hell do you compete with the game that let's you fight as Sora against your seven other friends playing Mario, Link, Steve from Minecraft, Cloud Strife, Banjo & Kazooie, Joker from Persona 5 and Simon Belmont while you play on the Mishima Dojo from Tekken and someone summons Kyogre from a Pokeball while another summoned Rodin from Bayonetta from an AT and then a couple minutes in you die from a Banana Gun shot into Steve's TNT just before the stage morphs into Hollow ****ING Bastion that then turns into Dive Into The Heart because Simon's recovery sucks? Like, c'mon man!
Mr Krabs being DLC is probably the reason there isnt a Krusty Krab stage.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I just picked up Nick All Stars Brawl and played a couple matches. It is competently made and there is potential for sick combos. With that said, the game isn't as charming as it could be, without any of the music from the shows (Although there are some songs like Jellyfish Fields that slaps real hard) and no voices. So far my favorite character is probably Zim, I like his circular air attack, the beam attacks and the details like how he walks on the spider kegs.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Isn't the former under danger due to China's new "no femboy" law?
I don’t think they’ll change his established design, that’d take way too much work especially for the cutscenes and canonical webcomic

he won’t get any more alt costumes in game though id imagine, and no more femboys after him

Bishonen like Diluc or Kaeya? As long as they have some degree of masculinity they pass I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom