• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I just feel like Takamaru was just a bandwagon, people trying to find the next Pit or the next "retro character". Unless he somehow actually gets an all new game with a proper worldwide release then I don't think he'll ever be playable in Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I'm not sure if getting the Famicom game localized on the VC would qualify as being sufficiently prolific outside Japan to Sakurai. A VC release is sort of bottom rung underneath retail ports, remakes, and then, full new titles.

Obviously it is an international release of his game, I just question whether it would've been seen as up to Sakurai's standards for western recognition.

I mean otherwise we should more or less be expecting Takamaru at any time now, right? But I'm still kind of skeptical it will happen without an actual new game.
And that's a fair concern. Personally, I think he'd count it. He does seem to at least keep track of ports and rereleases, leading to even funny moments like him advertising the Xbox One version of Banjo-Kazooie. :p

Of course it remains to be seen how it will affect his odds of getting in next time. But at the very least, at least Nintendo themselves didn't forget about him, if the cameo in Super Mario Maker 2 is any indication.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I just feel like Takamaru was just a bandwagon, people trying to find the next Pit or the next "retro character". Unless he somehow actually gets an all new game with a proper worldwide release then I don't think he'll ever be playable in Smash.
I mean, if he was a bandwagon we wouldn’t still be talking about how cool he is. He would’ve faded from our mindset as we moved on tot he next flavor of the month. But see, that didn’t happen. Because people genuinely like the character.

Technically Takamaru’s Ninja Castle is what got me interested into looking into Murasame Castle. That was my favorite game on Nintendoland.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I mean, if he was a bandwagon we wouldn’t still be talking about how cool he is. He would’ve faded from our mindset as we moved on tot he next flavor of the month. But see, that didn’t happen. Because people genuinely like the character.

Technically Takamaru’s Ninja Castle is what got me interested into looking into Murasame Castle. That was my favorite game on Nintendoland.
I mean he kinda mostly has faded from our mindsets. Sometimes he's ocassionally brought up as a "hey, remember when we supported this guy?" thing, but otherwise he's been pretty much mostly forgotten about.

Especially since, once again, I really think Piranha Plant pretty much killed the idea of "the retro rep".

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
This is an image from a Project M-based mod. Everything in this image can be recreated in Ultimate, more or less. Crazy world we live in.

rip donald and goofy.
Yeah, it's honestly ridiculous to think about how much stuff in Ultimate makes it feel like it's a Brawl mod.

Makes me wonder if Sakurai kept an eye on the modding scene.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I don't know how many characters will be able to survive the 5 year wait for the next Smash game, but at the very least I can say a WarioWare character like Ashley will have a decent shot next time after the successful release of Get It Together on the Switch. The series was in kind of a precarious situation after Game & Wario bombed, and to make matters worse Gold released during the death of the 3DS. Now with Get It Together's success the series is in a more favorable position than it was during the past decade.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's hard to say; without looking for a retro rep we probably wouldn't have given Takamaru much attention, and then after Sakurai's statements he did lose most of his momentum. He does fit the profile for being a bandwagon character I guess, but the thing is, it's not like he was the only retro character remaining, he's just the one people gravitated towards.

So that speaks to at least being the most naturally popular among a certain kind of candidate.

Also, with bandwagon characters, people may deride the source of the popularity, but the popularity itself isn't really in question... because it's self-evident. Every fan favourite to some extent is a bandwagon character. These last couple of years if someone became a K. Rool, Banjo, Isaac or Geno fan it was probably because of Smash first, and then retroactively going back to play their game. If they even did that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also I do think that claiming Takamaru lost all of his steam is eliminating some crucial context...namely that for Ultimate, he was shown as an Assist in the E3 2018 Treehouse gameplay. When it comes to Assist disconfirmations, those tend to kill momentum unless you have Waluigi-level popularity.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I was thinking about the top 5 first parties and third parties that I would predict for the next game but it's so hard. I know I would put Akira Howard and Ring Fit on there but the other ones will depend on my mood.

Like just thinking about the Microsoft/Bethesda situation just gives me a headache. Not only do we have to think about if Banjo and Steve will return, but what new Microsoft characters will be chosen. Master Chief and Doomguy might be seen as similar so they might pick one only. Master Chief has the advantage of being more popular in Japan but Doomguy has been acknowledged via Mii costume and has Nintendo history. But we also have Skyrim which Japan loves so while Dragonborn has less demand than those two (For some reason), he might win over. So IDK ****s complicated

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Everytime someone says Takamaru was just a bandwagon, I burn down another puppy orphanage
Okay, maybe we'll stop then.

Now, what do you figure the chances of a new Sega rep in the next Smash game are?

I think another Sonic character or Billy Hatcher are the most likely by far. :roll:

How's the writeup going btw.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think it's a solid idea for people to grab the costumes of characters they'd like to see playable, even if they don't care about the costume themselves. You never know if Nintendo might be looking at costume sales numbers for future direction.
Pretty much. The only Miis I bought were:

A. Ones that came with music tracks (Sans, Cuphead, Shantae).
B. Ones I want to see become Fighters (Arthur, Goemon, Shantae, Dante, Nakoruru, Bomberman, Zero)
C. Geno. Out of respect.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Okay, maybe we'll stop then.

Now, what do you figure the chances of a new Sega rep in the next Smash game are?

I think another Sonic character or Billy Hatcher are the most likely by far. :roll:

How's the writeup going btw.
the sad thing is if you took out Billy Hatcher then this would actually be an accurate depiction of the current state of the majority of SEGA discussion on here these days. If you're like me and are in a situation where a second Sonic rep being our next SEGA person would actively prevent you from getting what you've wanted since Bayo, then yeahhhhhh it kinda gets to you when that outcome ends up becoming as ridiculously omnipresent in wishlists and predictions and whatnot as it currently is. The SEGA rep Everyone On The Face Of The Earth wants also happens to be just about the last one I'd want right now, and in a very weird way, that kinda makes me feel alone within the context of SEGA Smash discussion. I dunno.

As for the writeup, apologies but I have been slacking on it. I should get the main bullet points done tomorrow, and after that, I'll try to work on the actual writeup whenever I can. I do already have the games I want to cover next planned out all the way up to the fifth writeup 👀

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Takamaru is cool though, I definitely wouldn't say no to having him in the game, I love seeing older characters reimagined. Especially if Suda actually does make a reimagining later down the line, that just means Grasshopper superiority will come bundled with the totally 100% for sure lock that is Travis Touchdown next game. :yoshimelee: For sure.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I know Sakurai said no more new fighters or Mii costumes, but did he also say no more new/returning stages?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
At the very least, it would be nice to see certain first party content explored a bit more, even if they couldn't get in as fighters. Getting stages from Famicom Detective Club, Mach Rider, Advance Wars, Excitebike, Sin and Punishment, & Chibi-Robo still feels like unexplored territory.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To be clear about something...
I cannot see a world in which a DX cut got '100' characters.
It would certainly be 101+, so that they could advertise 'over 100 characers.'
Besides aren’t there like… more placeholders in the executable after what’s soon to be Sora’s, that’ll total to more than 100?

anyone got that list again so I can reference?

if it’s a DX cut they can use those remaining placeholders

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Besides aren’t there like… more placeholders in the executable after what’s soon to be Sora’s, that’ll total to more than 100?

anyone got that list again so I can reference?

if it’s a DX cut they can use those remaining placeholders
They can also just add more.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
At the very least, it would be nice to see certain first party content explored a bit more, even if they couldn't get in as fighters. Getting stages from Famicom Detective Club, Mach Rider, Advance Wars, Excitebike, Sin and Punishment, & Chibi-Robo still feels like unexplored territory.
This sounds like the plot of Captain Rainbow 2, except now Captain Rainbow is also a part of the obscure, forgotten side of Nintendo's history. :4pacman:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The ** is this Takamaru **? Am I being trolled? Where the hell did this suddenly come from?

Get outta here with that inferior NES katana rep!
Takamaru doesn't even wield a katana in Smash. He uses a ninjato.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So, Ryu Hayabuse vs. Takamura in chances of getting in... my 5 cents worth?

Heck, they could even share a trailer, being a pair of deadly Japanese warriors.
Banjo vs Steve used to be a small thing and now we got both of them. :061: It really do be just that simple of a solution to add both.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Bayonnetta was never called the winner... it had three qualifiers.
1- top five
2- of one region
3- that was realizable

That literally could have been anyone Nintendo wanted.
There were people who argued otherwise in the thread. My point is that I am happy that no more people will go saying that she got the most votes and that she really won the ballot by votes. That is all there is to my comment.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Since we are talking DX edition (I think it would more likely be called something like "fan edition")
Wait, we ARE talking about a Definitive/Deluxe Edition?

WE ARE DOING THAT NOW? IS THAT OKAY DO TO NOW?

I want to make sure it's fine to do before I get exiled to the Island of Unpopular Opinion lack the last twenty or so times I tried this. Cuz BOY do I have a lot to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom