• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
There is one way I could potentially see this happening feasibly. If perhaps during the agreements with the third parties finalized there was a clause included with most of them that they could also be used in future Smash titles. But there would obviously need to be some benefit to the third parties as well beyond simple exposure for their products.
I thought maybe the same thing. The benefit would be Nintendo would probably have to pay the royalties again.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Yes I don't think roster cuts would be well received at all, I don't see it happening anymore
At one point I would've said this is a pipedream, but if Sakurai can get Cloud back into base game and Steve and Sora as DLC, then there's definitely a good chance a future Smash game wouldn't have any cuts. Tbh, I need this to happen.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Going by this, it's really

Sakurai: "Nothing is impossible, but I personally don't think this is happening again."
Fans: "This will 100% never happen again"
the scenes are gonna be wild in 10 years time when sakurai brings back all 120 odd characters and all 100-200 stages and says surprise b**** I did it again whilst announcing dlc for the game.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Found this, thought it was too cool not to share

I'm still waiting for the "Everyone is Here" version to this.
It's not everyone is here until this comes back in Ultimate glory.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Sakurai: "Nothing is impossible, but I personally don't think this is happening again."
Well I was paraphrasing.
Point being, I don't find it very wise have the mindset of full character retention being a standard.

That said, let me amend that:
Fans: "There's no way this isn't happening again."
confused squint.gif

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I mean

Again, they've flat out said "No more".

I don't understand why Smash is the one exception to this. Nintendo isn't like other companies in terms of DLC. When they say "It's done", they usually mean "It's done."

Games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Mario Odyssey got jack for DLC, and pretty much every other game on the console has had an end date to their dlc when all is said and done.

I see no reason to not believe them when they say "We're done, Sora's it, goodbye!" when, well, they've literally said that.
That’s kind of the issue is assuming Nintendo isn’t like other companies when it comes to dlc. Honestly as innovative as Nintendo can be they have been the slowest at adopting what are fairly standard practices in the industry. Even if they have a long history of it with games like Pokemon.
As far as how dlc is implemented now, Nintendo is fairly new at it compared to Sony and Microsoft. There was a few dlc opportunities on the Wii U, but the switch seems to be where Nintendo is finding it’s stride when it comes to offering additional content. Dlc on previous Wii U titles almost seem to have come out of nowhere versus how games on the switch appear to be using more of a road map strategy.

I wouldn’t say Smash Ultimate is the exception at all.I’d say it’s hard to justify adding dlc to the games you mentioned.

For example Mario Odyssey seems like a complete experience overall. A lot of single player games don’t receive dlc anyways. Look at God of War, super popular. No dlc. They’d rather save a lot of those new game mechanics and follow up with a sequel. I can only imagine it’s hard to get people to see the replay value in games like that.

You have a point with Mario kart though. Mario Kart 8 deluxe would probably be a decent candidate for dlc. I wouldn’t personally pay anything in addition to buying that game though, I wonder if many casual games feel similar in that regard. Would rather see 9.

It isn’t that hard to see that the demand for dlc when it comes to the smash series is on different level compared to the other games in Nintendo’s libra

Once again, not saying we’re guaranteed to get anything but The only way i see smash getting extra dlc is:

-Profit of dlc may be too great to ignore, Nintendo / investors will want to take advantage of it.

-Nintendo has a character / game they want to promote. After saying the dlc has pretty much ended, any new character will pretty much be making headlines.

Ending on Sora would be perfect in my opinion. However I won’t be surprised if Nintendo throws some promotional first party characters in the roster down the road.

It's done. Get a Life, Touch some Grass, and Play Games other than Smash for once.
Yikes, you couldn’t be more wrong about this .

Lol I haven’t turned on my switch in like 2 years. Only reason I’m buying the 2nd pass now is cuz of Sora. When I do have time to play a game I’d say I’m definitely more of a Sony/Ps5 fan.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That’s kind of the issue is assuming Nintendo isn’t like other companies when it comes to dlc. Honestly as innovative as Nintendo can be they have been the slowest at adopting what are fairly standard practices in the industry. Even if they have a long history of it with games like Pokemon.
As far as how dlc is implemented now, Nintendo is fairly new at it compared to Sony and Microsoft. There was a few dlc opportunities on the Wii U, but the switch seems to be where Nintendo is finding it’s stride when it comes to offering additional content. Dlc on previous Wii U titles almost seem to have come out of nowhere versus how games on the switch appear to be using more of a road map strategy.

I wouldn’t say Smash Ultimate is the exception at all.I’d say it’s hard to justify adding dlc to the games you mentioned.

For example Mario Odyssey seems like a complete experience overall. A lot of single player games don’t receive dlc anyways. Look at God of War, super popular. No dlc. They’d rather save a lot of those new game mechanics and follow up with a sequel. I can only imagine it’s hard to get people to see the replay value in games like that.

You have a point with Mario kart though. Mario Kart 8 deluxe would probably be a decent candidate for dlc. I wouldn’t personally pay anything in addition to buying that game though, I wonder if many casual games feel similar in that regard. Would rather see 9.

It isn’t that hard to see that the demand for dlc when it comes to the smash series is on different level compared to the other games in Nintendo’s libra

Once again, not saying we’re guaranteed to get anything but The only way i see smash getting extra dlc is:

-Profit of dlc may be too great to ignore, Nintendo / investors will want to take advantage of it.

-Nintendo has a character / game they want to promote. After saying the dlc has pretty much ended, any new character will pretty much be making headlines.

Ending on Sora would be perfect in my opinion. However I won’t be surprised if Nintendo throws some promotional first party characters in the roster down the road.

Lol I haven’t turned on my switch in like 2 years. Only reason I’m buying the 2nd pass now is cuz of Sora. When I do have time to play a game I’d say I’m definitely more of a Sony/Ps5 fan.
I mean, stranger things have happened. Splatoon 2 briefly brought back Splatfests a year after their “final” Splatfest, the Splatocalypse. But I wouldn’t count on it and you shouldn’t like obsess over it

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I mean, he immediately follows up that very quote with a pretty lengthy explanation for why he thinks he won't be able to do it again, so similarly this is missing the full picture of what he's saying. The possibility is there, but it'll be an extremely difficult undertaking and one that shouldn't be outright expected with all the moving parts that have to align to make it work.

SKX31

Smash Master
So yeah. Smash always has one game per console, and earlier this year that someone big from Nintendo said we're at the midway point of the Switch's life cycle, so let's wait until about 2024-ish when the next Nintendo system is announced and then we'll see how I feel.
Considering they've been consistent about "The midway point" and all that, I'm kinda inclined to believe them here.

And that might be reassuring in the end, since no matter what Sakurai decides to do next he'll have the time to do whatever. And if Furukawa / Nintendo want him to get Smash 6 out for the next console or whatever, he'll likely have the time to take on another project (sure, might be smaller, but still) and come back to Smash mentally refreshed.

I'm also pretty sure that both Sakurai and Nintendo's execs are very much aware of "Where do we go from here?" with the series and they will most likely discuss the future extremely carefully just to be 100 % sure that whatever they commit on it's the right course (as difficult as any course is). Considering that Bamco's staff were the main development staff behind 4 and Ultimate I'm pretty sure they'll be involved too.

That does beg the question what would happen if Capcom's or ASW's FGC staff were to help develop the next game, but still.

And in the end, I'm pretty happy with how things look. Okay, there are things I don't look forward to, of course - but hey, Ultimate's complete, we'll get to see how the post-development life for it goes and Smash will remain a game one can always come back to if one feels like coming back to it. Other games / stuff might help since then it'll feel less stale, such as Metroid Dread or SMT V (I'm kinda looking towards getting Dread personally).

I mean, stranger things have happened. Splatoon 2 briefly brought back Splatfests a year after their “final” Splatfest, the Splatocalypse. But I wouldn’t count on it and you shouldn’t like obsess over it
Weren't those Splatfests repeats of past Splatfests? Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I at least heard.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Considering they've been consistent about "The midway point" and all that, I'm kinda inclined to believe them here.

And that might be reassuring in the end, since no matter what Sakurai decides to do next he'll have the time to do whatever. And if Furukawa / Nintendo want him to get Smash 6 out for the next console or whatever, he'll likely have the time to take on another project (sure, might be smaller, but still) and come back to Smash mentally refreshed.

I'm also pretty sure that both Sakurai and Nintendo's execs are very much aware of "Where do we go from here?" with the series and they will most likely discuss the future extremely carefully just to be 100 % sure that whatever they commit on it's the right course (as difficult as any course is). Considering that Bamco's staff were the main development staff behind 4 and Ultimate I'm pretty sure they'll be involved too.

That does beg the question what would happen if Capcom's or ASW's FGC staff were to help develop the next game, but still.

And in the end, I'm pretty happy with how things look. Okay, there are things I don't look forward to, of course - but hey, Ultimate's complete, we'll get to see how the post-development life for it goes and Smash will remain a game one can always come back to if one feels like coming back to it. Other games / stuff might help here since then it'll feel less stale.

Weren't those Splatfests repeats of past Splatfests? Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I at least heard.
There was one totally new Splatfest - the Mario themed one

Shroob

Sup?

Again though, the DLC has been going on for three years.

If investors were pulling the strings this whole time, we wouldn't have had Sakurai since March of this year going "Ultimate's done after Pass 2", and like, we have spirit events to promote upcoming games, things we've been getting since the start of the game.

The correct answer, is to assume everything's done. If something happens years, YEARS down the line in the future? Great, but that's not anything to think about today, or even consider seriously.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
That was one single character, was it not? Not bad for a game that wasn't intended to leave Japan to begin with. Not to mention that the license ending happened with a World of Final Fantasy DLC character, don't remember who it was for though, something with an S?
Nintendo may be a Japanese company with Japan bias, but it's still a company with interest in global market. They have done limited digital sales, but do you expect them to do the same for new main games? Being unable to sell games later down the line? Losing more than half of sales? This is why I believe western non-video game characters like Spiderman have better chance joining Smash because those characters' rights are usually held by single companies, not scattered through different regions, assuming 4-party limit is lifted.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I like how the animator included characters who weren't playable for each series as well during the intermissions. Hopefully an Ultimate version has that too.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Found this, thought it was too cool not to share

I feel like Timeless River Sora would have been more appropriate.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai: "This will never happen again"
Fans: "There's no way this isn't happening again.'
View attachment 333655
Well this was the fanbase that before he said DLC was ending for about the twentieth time, the reaction was mostly

So this is 100% par for the course. And I get it, who doesn't want more of a good thing? But I'd take Sakurai at his word here, even after he trolled Japan telling them they might not know who this "Sora" character is, lol.

God, watched this like a hundred times back in the Brawl days because it's adorable and the song is top tier earworm material.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Here's an Interesting Video I found on what probably went into getting Sora into Smash, in terms of Cooperating with Square, Nomura, and Disney, as well as a look into the Copyright of Kingdom Hearts
I still think it's a being bit presumptuous to assume that there not being Disney content in Smash is all Disney's doing, when there's a very good chance that Sakurai didn't WANT Disney characters in Smash. As he's repeatedly called Smash a "celebration of video games" and only puts content in Smash that originated from video game properties.

Last edited:

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
What I would like to see in the next game:
• Spring Man gets promoted giving us 2 Arms reps.
• Alph breaks away from Olimar and becomes his own character with Rock Pikmin in him moveset.
• I’m torn on what new Zelda character I want to see in–either Linkle, Impa, Urbosa or promote either Midna or Ghirahim.
• Dixie Kong makes a lot of sense for the next game.
• Echos include: Ms. PAC-MAN (PAC-MAN), Tom Nook (Isabelle)
• New Kirby rep from the new game.
• Final boss in Metroid Dread, just shrink them down a bit.
• Whoever that male character was at the end of the Bayonetta 3 trailer.
• Capcom reps I torn between Chun-Li, Morrigan with a kid-friendly outfit modification, Phoenix Wright or Dante
• Any of the Assassin’s Creed protagonists.
• Akira from Astral Chain.
• Gen 9 Pokemon.
• NO NEW FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.
• No cuts.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What I would like to see in the next game:
• Spring Man gets promoted giving us 2 Arms reps.
• Alph breaks away from Olimar and becomes his own character with Rock Pikmin in him moveset.
• I’m torn on what new Zelda character I want to see in–either Linkle, Impa, Urbosa or promote either Midna or Ghirahim.
• Dixie Kong makes a lot of sense for the next game.
• Echos include: Ms. PAC-MAN (PAC-MAN), Tom Nook (Isabelle)
• New Kirby rep from the new game.
• Final boss in Metroid Dread, just shrink them down a bit.
• Whoever that male character was at the end of the Bayonetta 3 trailer.
• Capcom reps I torn between Chun-Li, Morrigan with a kid-friendly outfit modification, Phoenix Wright or Dante
• Any of the Assassin’s Creed protagonists.
• Akira from Astral Chain.
• Gen 9 Pokemon.
• NO NEW FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.
• No cuts.
I'm sorry but I just wanted to say that this is probably one of the most Smashboards newcomer wishlists I've seen in my 5 or so years on this site lol.

You go bro.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
The next 6 for Smash Ultimate Deluxe:

1) Splatoon 3 character
2) Pokémon gen 8/9
3) Ring Fit Trainer
4) A popular request “classic” nintendo character (like Waluigi or BWD)
5) Huge third party IP
6) AT Promotion

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Don't mind the return of cutspec Smash fans. It is what it is and we did get a 3 and a half year respite away from these toxic losers that got BTFO about that same time ago. They'll try to make you feel less for and bad because you want more. Don't let them get to you.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Just brace yourselves that if there was another ballot you'd have to contend with the twisted reality of this dude being first place

& they still wouldn’t add him because the old school Nintendo guys hate that he wasn’t created in-house. 😢

I’m hoping I’m wrong & he finally gets to be a weirdo fighter in the next game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
& they still wouldn’t add him because the old school Nintendo guys hate that he wasn’t created in-house. 😢

I’m hoping I’m wrong & he finally gets to be a weirdo fighter in the next game.
If they'll add him to basically every Mario sports, kart and party spin-off, I don't think they'll prohibit his inclusion.

I just don't think Sakurai values spin-off content as much as mainline content, and that's why he hasn't been included yet. But now he's too popular to ignore.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
If we somehow got an Ultimate DX, it’d be nice if we got 11 characters to get the roster up to an insane 100 fighters.

I’d probably go with:

Waluigi
Bandana Waddle Dee
Officer Howard
Ring Fit Trainee
Toxicrity
Jill Valentine
Chosen Undead
Dante
Yuri
Master Chief
Crash or Sans

I really like the idea of rounding out all of the biggest Japanese gaming IPs with playable characters. I don’t think the Monster Hunter team will budge on a fighter though. They have everything but the fighter already (even if the stage is lame & only in SP). They seem adamant on Hunters not being the focus of the series; I don’t think there’s any Hunters in TEPPEN either.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If we somehow got an Ultimate DX, it’d be nice if we got 11 characters to get the roster up to an insane 100 fighters.

I’d probably go with:
  1. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
  2. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
  3. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
  4. Kunio/Riki [River City]
  5. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
  6. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
  7. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
  8. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
  9. Nightmare [Soul Calibur]
  10. Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
  11. Mii Mage

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Yep stay positive and keep an open mind while not getting over enthusiastic, you never know what Nintendo might do next in terms of Smash, but for now, we ended off on a great note I believe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom