• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
I hope they actually release it for individual sale later on.
Same. I'm kind of a sucker when it comes to Smash DLC- I like to have a complete game so I buy everything, even all the mii costumes.
It sucks that I won't be able to have one specific song.

Shroob

Sup?
I hope they actually release it for individual sale later on.
There was that AUS E-shop leak that showed a listing between CP11 and the Ancient Armor Mii.

Tbh, I can't see them not selling it later at the very least. Keep it exclusive for people who buy the game for a few months like promotional Spirits, and then sell it for like, idk 3 bucks later.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I literally am only a Touhou fan now because Reimu-for-Smash fans drew me in. Has anyone else gotten into a game or series solely thanks to Smash speculation?
Tons of games, all the way back to Brawl, Smash has introduced me to countless series, whether they had characters added or if they were just discussed in speculation. I would not be nearly the gamer I am today, in terms of the variety of series I'm into, without Smash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If we get playable indie characters next game, I’d like to see these:

Undertale:
  • Frisk / Chara
  • Sans & Papyrus (or one on their own; if together, I imagine them mostly just being Papyrus really, with Sans in the background like Pokémon Trainer, doing lazy activities but also supporting his brother (and helping with some attacks and the final smash without letting Papyrus know))
Deltarune:
  • Kris
  • The Original (Starwalker)
  • I’d also like the other main characters (Susie, Ralsei, Lancer, Noelle) as well as Jevil and Spamton, but I feel Kris should come first (and I know Jevil and Spamton would be extremely unlikely anyway)
Touhou (I haven’t played it but it seems cool and has awesome music):
  • Reimu
  • Marisa
  • Cirno (the strongest)
The Binding of Isaac:
  • Isaac
  • ??? (DA BLUE BABY)
Five Nights at Freddy’s (yes):
  • Freddy Fazbear

Quote from Cave Story and Shantae would also be cool. Also others like Madotsuki, Beatrix from Slime Rancher, Gooball from World of Goo (don’t ask me how it would fight), Terrarian, etc.

Last edited:

a.Asdsa

Smash Rookie
If it makes the Waluigi fandom feel better, I do believe the "next game" is an enhanced port of Ultimate with new characters since Sakurai probably doesn't want to get into the development of a new game, not to mention people would probably be disappointed by a downscaled roster.

I also believe Waluigi is a shoo in for this enhanced port, the next Nintendo console isn't that far away and ports are easy to develop, so we're realistically only 4 years away from getting Waluigi in Smash. Just keep waiting, it'll come eventually.

Same goes for the fandom of other characters, just wait for the enhanced port. The dream is not over, people are just gonna have to wait longer.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
If it makes the Waluigi fandom feel better, I do believe the "next game" is an enhanced port of Ultimate with new characters since Sakurai probably doesn't want to get into the development of a new game, not to mention people would probably be disappointed by a downscaled roster.

I also believe Waluigi is a shoo in for this enhanced port, the next Nintendo console isn't that far away and ports are easy to develop, so we're realistically only 4 years away from getting Waluigi in Smash. Just keep waiting, it'll come eventually.

Same goes for the fandom of other characters, just wait for the enhanced port. The dream is not over, people are just gonna have to wait longer.
I hope the next game is an enhanced port. It'd be so sad to lose this amazing roster.
That being said, I don't expect it. I'm expecting significant cuts and a roster around the size of Brawl-Smash4. Hope I'm wrong though.
A Mario Kart 8 Deluxe type deal would be awesome. They could load up on new echo fighters and make a selling point of the game that it has 100 fighters.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord

I don’t think there’s any way they get this roster back. It’d be too much of a nightmare with all the different character rights.

Last edited:

a.Asdsa

Smash Rookie
I don’t think there’s any way they get this roster back. It’s be too much of a nightmare with all the different character rights.
It might be difficult, but considering they already did this once, I don't think it would be too hard to bring it back in a port.

Also it's basically easy money for Nintendo. All they have to do is release a port for the next console so people are satisfied and wait like 6 more years for a full reboot of Smash when the hype for Ultimate has subsided.

It makes so much sense from a business perspective so I'm expecting a port.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I don't think we're getting an enhanced port. It's not just porting the game to another system and everything is fine. You have to renegotiate ALL the rights for every character and music track. That's very very optimistic thinking when I'm pretty sure Ultimate barely happened as is.

Just because it happened once it doesn't mean it'll happen again. That is borderline insane levels of hopium.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

It all came full circle.

Paraster

Smash Lord
If we get playable indie characters next game, I’d like to see these:

Undertale:
  • Frisk / Chara
  • Sans & Papyrus (or one on their own; if together, I imagine them mostly just being Papyrus really, with Sans in the background like Pokémon Trainer, doing lazy activities but also supporting his brother (and helping with some attacks and the final smash without letting Papyrus know))
Deltarune:
  • Kris
  • The Original (Starwalker)
  • I’d also like the other main characters (Susie, Ralsei, Lancer, Noelle) as well as Jevil and Spamton, but I feel Kris should come first (and I know Jevil and Spamton would be extremely unlikely anyway)
Touhou (I haven’t played it but it seems cool and has awesome music):
  • Reimu
  • Marisa
  • Cirno (the strongest)
The Binding of Isaac:
  • Isaac
  • ??? (DA BLUE BABY)
Five Nights at Freddy’s (yes):
  • Freddy Fazbear

Quote from Cave Story and Shantae would also be cool. Also others like Madotsuki, Beatrix from Slime Rancher, Gooball from World of Goo (don’t ask me how it would fight), Terrarian, etc.
My own picks:

Quote (Cave Story)
Reimu (Touhou)
Shovel Knight
Frisk, Kris, and/or Papyrus (Undertale/Deltarune)
Cadence (Crypt of the NecroDancer)
The Knight (Hollow Knight)
Madeline (Celeste)
Hat Kid (A Hat In Time)

a.Asdsa

Smash Rookie
I don't think we're getting an enhanced port. It's not just porting the game to another system and everything is fine. You have to renegotiate ALL the rights for every character and music track. That's very very optimistic thinking when I'm pretty sure Ultimate barely happened as is.

Just because it happened once it doesn't mean it'll happen again. That is borderline insane levels of hopium.
The thing is, Sakurai isn't gonna go into development of a new game, and Nintendo isn't gonna just pick a new director. So the only option is porting the game. Smash Ultimate sold 21 million copies so they are going to want a Smash game on the next console as soon as possible. Just like Mario Kart.

Nintendo is still gonna renegotiate the terms, no matter how hard it is.

Polan

Smash Lord
i do wonder if sakurai already has the project plan for the next smash up and ready. he had the plan for ultimate done already when bayo and corrin released and given that video game development isnt getting any shorter they might have to begin planning stuff already. or maybe he'll work on something else since the switch successor doesnt look like its releasing anytime soon.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
And I'm back after lots of hours of watching reactions and discussions online. Almost cried during the reveal. Easily the best reveal trailer just by how melodramatic it was, which would make sense since this is a Disney character!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My own picks:

Quote (Cave Story)
Reimu (Touhou)
Shovel Knight
Frisk, Kris, and/or Papyrus (Undertale/Deltarune)
Cadence (Crypt of the NecroDancer)
The Knight (Hollow Knight)
Madeline (Celeste)
Hat Kid (A Hat In Time)
I’d really like Hat Kid too. I loved A Hat in Time (haven’t played the DLC though, maybe in the future). I don’t know why I forgot her ._.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Can someone please properly explain why the The KH games being cloud is bad and should that matter to me, someone with verizon fios 5G wifi?

Only thing i dont like is it isnt "The Story So Far" + KH3

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It all came full circle.
:ultsonic: created to be the rival to Mario
:ultcloud: the face of the game that caused the storied rift between Square and Nintendo
:ultbanjokazooie: the first-party who was bought by the competitor

Eventually they all get on board

well... we'll get there someday, I guess

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Can someone please properly explain why the The KH games being cloud is bad and should that matter to me, someone with verizon fios 5G wifi?

Only thing i dont like is it isnt "The Story So Far" + KH3
Long story short, it has to do with the fact that you gotta have a really good internet connection just to play them. Also, when Capcom tried it with RE7 it wound up being a commercial failure. It doesn't have to affect you, but it certainly doesn't bode well for a lot of people.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
The thing is, Sakurai isn't gonna go into development of a new game, and Nintendo isn't gonna just pick a new director. So the only option is porting the game. Smash Ultimate sold 21 million copies so they are going to want a Smash game on the next console as soon as possible. Just like Mario Kart.

Nintendo is still gonna renegotiate the terms, no matter how hard it is.
Saying "they're just gonna do it" is ridiculous. This isn't a fairytale where negotiating terms is done by sheer willpower. Sakurai should be free to make another game that isn't Smash too. I'm sure he'll come back if asked but give the man a break, and if he did get said break a new director would have nowhere near the industry pull Sakurai has, making said negotiations even more difficult.

I'd love to be wrong and have everyone back again with even more content, but thinking it's as simple as them wanting it so they'll get it done is crazy.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Long story short, it has to do with the fact that you gotta have a really good internet connection just to play them. Also, when Capcom tried it with RE7 it wound up being a commercial failure. It doesn't have to affect you, but it certainly doesn't bode well for a lot of people.
Ah, that's understandable, not everyone can afford good internet. I pray for those people on Spectrum

But for me, it being a cloud service is the least of my worries. Im more worryed about how much buying all those games is gonna cost me

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Not to be dubbed racist by the old "racist prover", but it's kind of a shame that there seemed to be so many willing western companies but so few of those characters ended up on the roster. Not that I dislike Japanese characters, on average I actually like them and Japanese games a lot more - but it's clear that big companies like Ubisoft and Bethesda (back when they were their own thing) were game to play ball, and I'm sure the indies were just thrilled to be included in any capacity, so it's too bad we couldn't have seen even a slightly more balanced split.

I'm not even saying 50:50, but, idk, maybe two a pass instead of one? Not that I want to open a can of worms as to who would get included and who would get booted. It's more just the concept than the practice.

I mean, doesn't Smash tout itself as a history of gaming? And it is, but it clearly skews one way. And that's understandable, Japan is a seminal facet of the industry, and the company making the game is Japanese, after all. Working with western devs in a greater capacity would also entail more complexity, so I get it. But, idk, seeing almost all the western stuff relegated to consolation prizes is a little bittersweet. Gaming is quite a worldwide thing these days.

If nothing else, I imagine the future Smash games will only increase their western collaborations; there's a lot of untapped potential there.
I mean, if anything, Smash Ultimate actually got a huge boost in Western game representation. In Smash 4, there was only Diddy Kong and technically Little Mac(since Punch Out Wii was done by Next Level Games, who are Canadian), the Frigate Orpheon stage from Metroid Prime and technically the Boxing Ring, a few music tracks, like the Donkey Kong Country and Metroid Prime tracks, and whatever possible representation as trophies, like Rayman or Commander Video. If anything, Ultimate nearly boosted that by like, so much. In Ultimate, besides Diddy, Little Mac and returning music and trophies to Spirits like Rayman, we got:
  • King K. Rool, Dark Samus, Banjo & Kazooie, and Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman as playable characters. With Banjo and Steve also getting stages and Spirits.
  • Krystal and Shovel Knight as Assist Trophies.
  • Altair, Dragonborn, Doom Slayer, Sans, Cuphead, Shantae, Vaultboy and Minecraft Mii Costumes, when Smash 4 had none at all.
  • Music from Banjo-Kazooie, Minecraft, Undertale, Cuphead and Shantae.
  • And whichever Spirits from some Western-made games, like the DKC Spirits, Metroid Prime spirits, Banjo-Kazooie spirits, Minecraft Spirits, Shovel Knight spirits, Shantae spirits and Cuphead spirits.
  • And that's not counting the characters that got in thanks to Western popularity like Ridley and Dark Samus.
Like, it's definitely not a whole lot in comparison to the Japanese-made stuff, but Ultimate got a huge boost in comparison to Smash 4. Like over 300%-400% more. I would not be surprised if we started seeing alot more Western content in future Smash games.
  • If Nintendo and Microsoft keep a very good relationship, Microsoft doesn't just have Halo and Master Chief, but also Fable, Age of Empires, Gears of War, Rare characters, Bethesda characters, Cuphead and Ori to add to the list.
  • With the big reception to Sans' Mii Costume reveal, we could see Undertale with a playable character, and maybe some other popular Western indies like Shovel Knight and Shantae(especially if Nintendo does more with Wayforward after Advance Wars).
  • Considering Nintendo and Ubisoft's growing relationship with the Mario X Rabbids games, Rayman, Rabbids or Assassin's Creed don't seem that far off from happening.
  • If Metroid Dread does well and we get a character from Metroid Dread, like the Chozo General, we'd technically have our first Spanish character, since Samus Returns and Dread are done by Mercury Steam.
  • And that's not counting some of the other possibilities, like Sony with some of it's series like God of War by Santa Monica or Rachet & Clank by Insomniac Games.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Let's just focus on the now, folks.
I'm like, fully content with the roster. I was before, but I am even more now. I still can't believe Disney played ball lol. I'm very happy I was wrong. I didn't think Sora was impossible but I figured he'd be the hardest newcomer to grab out of all options. I'm soaking up the now all day babbbyyy.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I honestly think Sakurai is really done with Smash now. He really put his all into Ultimate and even mentioned Iwata and how he wanted to make this game special for him, and now it’s done.

Obviously Smash makes way too much money for Nintendo to just never make another, but it’ll likely be 5-6 years before we see the next one and as much as I’d love to have the same roster back they’ll probably reboot it and have a smaller Brawl-sized roster with someone else at the helm.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Sakurai Acknowledging Kirby: Right Back At Ya'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom