• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Fun fact.
Best Buy and Gamestop's website crashed, because of people rushing to buy Melody of Memories, and KH collection, with people unable to get through the payment event, the website thinking it was an attack.

That's how ****ing huge of a deal it was.
So you're telling me a bunch of people suddenly wanted KH? I don't believe it, this was a filthy shill pick this entire time

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
Fun fact.
Best Buy and Gamestop's website crashed, because of people rushing to buy Melody of Memories, and KH collection, with people unable to get through the payment event, the website thinking it was an attack.

That's how ****ing huge of a deal it was.
Best Buy and Gamestop's websites got accidentally DDOSed by people looking to purchase a Kingdom Hearts spin-off rhythm game.

But Kingdom Hearts fans are devoted to the franchise and many probably already got it day one.

Which means that these are almost all just a bunch of horse armor aficionados so thirsty for a complete music track list that they dropped at least $30 for what would normally be sold for less than a dollar.

This is peak consoomerism.

Shroob

Sup?
Best Buy and Gamestop's websites got accidentally DDOSed by people looking to purchase a Kingdom Hearts spin-off rhythm game.

But Kingdom Hearts fans are devoted to the franchise and many probably already got it day one.

Which means that these are almost all just a bunch of horse armor aficionados so thirsty for a complete music track list that they dropped at least $30 for what would normally be sold for less than a dollar.

This is peak consoomerism.

I mean, if they don't offer it separately, I ain't gonna have an incompletely music list. :4pacman:

7NATOR

Smash Master
-I think I've come around to Sora's Simplicity now (Being based mostly on KH1 Sora). I would have still preferred Sora to have been more Flashy like in KH2 and KH3, but I think KH1 Sora is a good balance to make sure Everyone is able to use Sora and there aren't too many Complications in how to use him. He is the Ballot winner, so I Imagine they wanted to make sure people knew how to use him

-Well seeing the Hype of Sora throughout the day, I have to say there is probably more benefit in Nintendo in Revealing a Hype character in the end rather than ending on Low note. I Imagine Smash Ultimate and FP2 might have a boost in Holiday sales this year actually

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I was expecting something like Cinderace, but when you drop your standards so low, when someone like Sora comes along, it subverts them to a degree that can only be matched by fans of that character lol so going in with the idea of it being a pokemon was only a good thing in retrospect as much as people may have hated if that idea happened. Needless to say I was absolutely in that boat. Didn't expect Sora of all characters to happen.

I guess now we know what was meant by Bayo being the "realizable" winner of the ballot in smash 4, cos Sora was still in early discussions. This just goes to show what fan demand can do. Sakurai thought it was a long shot, but suffice to say we are here.

Seeing Sora interact with Mario and all the references to smash bros itself just show that this was sort of the best way to end smash whilst still celebrating smash. Acknowledging the community with the majority pick who have all supported the smash series for so long and got it to where it was today. Definitely surprised to see so much emphasis on the only Disney reference Sora has, being the Mickey pendant, whilst being completely devoid of any other references. Still, it definitely feels weird that Disney of all companies is in the copyright of Ultimate, making this seem like one big f*** it as the game was done anyway.

Sora was definitely the best way to end Ultimate, and at least we can put to rest the idea of misinfo in the smash community at large, as we now know that nothing was ever said regarding Sora being vetoed by Disney Japan or what have you lol. This shows the fan demand really does have a factor. This is probably one of the biggest issues in regards to character requests, in that once people thought a character was requested enough, they just sat back and assumed they would inevitably be included.

This was admittedly kind of an issue for Geno in Ultimate, as it's likely people just forgot that the main merit Geno had was fan demand, so the moment people thought they did enough, they just sat back and assumed he was inevitable cos of it, which then caused the main thing going in Geno's favor to just stop, which then probably left him as unlikely as he would have been without much fan demand. Some characters in Smash 4 probably had this issue too. That's why viewing characters as absolutes, especially when they are so unlikely without fan demand anyway, is never really a good thing. It just cuts off the one thing they have going for them and therefore just makes them gradually less and less likely cos of it. This shows that building up an actual fandom is the better idea in this instance. Say what you will about Sora and Geno being incomparable, but it seems likely that Sora would never have gotten in if it wasn't for demand, the same way that Geno would have gotten in if he was more demanded. When requesting characters, the best thing to do is absolutely build a support base, as a surprising fraction of Ultimate's newcomers would suggest.

Aside from that, stage looks basic but has a bunch of really cool aesthetic tweaks that makes it similar to Sephiroth's in that it is a lot more visually pleasing. Music seems alright, although the fact that Yoko Shimomura was already on board with Ultimate definitely makes the re-arrangements worth waiting for, and the spirits look as you'd expect. The moveset looks admittedly basic for a pass 2 character, but the uniqueness in playstyle, I think, more than makes up for that. Would be really ironic if Sora ends up ending Ultimate like Bayo did last time tho,

Overall a really great inclusion. I really appreciate all the stuff that went into Sora and everything else in the game, but there really is too much to mention. I definitely congratulate all who wanted him, I was never too into the idea cos I just thought it could never happen. It really shows what fan demand can do. And does this make Smash a better PS All-Stars than PS All-Stars? Cos I saw everyone hoping Sora would make it into some kind of sequel for that game. I guess they could still have Crash, but Smash has still taken FF7, Persona, Metal Gear and KH.. Despite Crash being their mascot originally, I think Smash's lineup is equal to Crash, and then some

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
-Well seeing the Hype of Sora throughout the day, I have to say there is probably more benefit in Nintendo in Revealing a Hype character in the end rather than ending on Low note. I Imagine Smash Ultimate and FP2 might have a boost in Holiday sales this year actually
I wonder how many people only bought Sora, or decided to buy FP2 because of Sora.

after typing this out im lowkey surprised they didnt do a FP1 + 2 bundle pack

Shroob

Sup?
Metroid Dread Spirit Event

Three new spirits. No Big Bird.
This makes me wonder.

The No More Heroes and these spirits will effectively be "Too new" to be added to perma rotation, and as of yet, we've only had spirits turned into perma-rotation via major content patches.

Considering those are no more, I wonder how often we'll receive balance adjustments.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I think Sora was the best possible character they could have ended it all on, and the trailer was wonderful. I don’t love Kingdom Hearts like I did as a kid, in fact I think the series is really lame now, but I’m still very happy, especially for all the Sora fans who have been waiting so long for his inclusion.

Congratulations, Sora is finally here!

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
You know there is a demo for Melody of Memory.

Maybe that will let you get it. Granted, it's not a guarantee that they will do that but you never know.

Shroob

Sup?
You know there is a demo for Melody of Memory.

Maybe that will let you get it. Granted, it's not a guarantee that they will do that but you never know.
They've only let the demos work with DQ11s so far.

I'm not holding my breathe for an entire music track, for free, with Disney being involved.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
I am glad that this thread is still alive. It took me a while to caught up with the thread discussing the last fighter as there was a severe power outrage causing blackout for all the house districts where the only light came from the street light and nothing else. It was pitch black as the lightning or thunder storm continue to roar throughout the night. The blackout lasts from yesterday nighttime all the way towards today nighttime. No electricity for 24 hours, so I couldn't write any heartfelt messages about my own experience on Smashboard before the last fighter is revealed as I needs to conserve some cell phone battery power for the alarm, the presentation watch hour, and the rest of the day if the blackout continues. I had to watch the entire presentation on the small screen instead of the big screen television or a fancy computer. Yeah, that was my day in a nutshell.

Anyway, enough about me, let's talked about the presentation and the last fighter Sora. The mii fighter costumes was up first. Two Splatoon contents and a Doom Slayer. I guess Octoling has a shot of being the first newcomer for the next game as I believe the Inkling costume was the final costume for Smash for 3DS/Wii U until they actually became a playable fighter. Doom Slayer now gets to compete against Monster Hunter for the number #1 spot of being Isabelle's best friend (context). The build-up to Sora's reveal almost felt like Dark Souls until Mario throw the flame and what came out of the flame was a keyblade. I am thankful that Sora didn't have a awkward reveal trailer for being the last character, unlike Byleth whose reveal trailer was too obvious. Sora is kinda nutty with being a aerial fighter and his combo game is similar to Bayonetta. There was a lot of effort placed for his alternate outfits, and each one had a spirit artwork. The only disappointment was the music track with no smash remixes and one song being locked behind in another game, and his down special is a counter. I now expect the final character for the next Smash to also have a counter special. Start thinking of your most wanted if they too had a counter special because they might be the last character in the next Smash game.

Overall, Sora was a great character to end the entire Smash DLC Fighter Pass. I can't believe there are going to be three Kingdom Hearts games that have online connection for the player to experience on the Switch platform. Also, Sora's reveal was promoted alongside the Kingdom Hearts 20th anniversary campaign. So, Sora is a shill pick according to what the cool kid said. In the end, I will always remember Sora as being the one who causes the 24th hours blackout, and nothing more.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Considering those are no more, I wonder how often we'll receive balance adjustments.
The simple answer is we won't and the Sora patch is what we'll deal with for the rest of the game's life cycle for better or worse.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Do y’all think the Melody of Memory game’s demo would be enough to get the music track?

I saw someone on Twitter mention it and that, with the DQ 11 demo, you could get the Tockle spirit, which I think I remember getting myself (not 100% sure), though I’m not sure if the KH game would work the same way or not…I haven’t tried it, so I don’t even know if you get save data on it…

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The simple answer is we won't and the Sora patch is what we'll deal with for the rest of the game's life cycle for better or worse.
:mybodyisreggie:

I kinda doubt that tbh. Even Smash 4 got balance adjustments after the DLC ended for what, half a year or so?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
:mybodyisreggie:

I kinda doubt that tbh. Even Smash 4 got balance adjustments after the DLC ended for what, half a year or so?
I thought we get a patch that specifically nerfed Bayo and that was it. Unless there were some between Bayo launching and that.

Shroob

Sup?
I thought we get a patch that specifically nerfed Bayo and that was it. Unless there were some between Bayo launching and that.
We got 2 patches after Bayo came out with balance adjustments, and a 3rd to add amiibo support.
Do y’all think the Melody of Memory game’s demo would be enough to get the music track?

I saw someone on Twitter mention it and that, with the DQ 11 demo, you could get the Tockle spirit, which I think I remember getting myself (not 100% sure), though I’m not sure if the KH game would work the same way or not…I haven’t tried it, so I don’t even know if you get save data on it…
Kinda doubt it. The Monster Hunter Stories demo didn't give its promo spirit.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I'm bored.

So, if you had to pick a fighter that's an animal... Who would it be?
fight krab.jpg

I would go with a crab from that fighting crab game, which is on the Switch.
(There's so much moveset ideas with the many weapons you use)

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Dang; maybe with DQ 11 the person misremembered and I just got the spirit later, idk.

I’m becoming a little more interested in KH, but I’m not sure I’d get the rhythm game so oh well.
You can get the Tockle spirit with the DQ demo. That's the only that worked with a demo.

Shroob

Sup?
Dang; maybe with DQ 11 the person misremembered and I just got the spirit later, idk.

I’m becoming a little more interested in KH, but I’m not sure I’d get the rhythm game so oh well.
No, DQ11s demo did let you get the spirit from its demo.

It's the only game to allow it as of now.

There WAS that Eshop leak from Australia which showed one additional item for Smash that could be purchased, which could be a stand-alone version of the song, but we're still too far away from release to say for certain if that's the case. I kinda doubt that they'd lock a piece of Smash behind a 60$ paywall forever, but it's also Disney so who knows.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
No, DQ11s demo did let you get the spirit from its demo.

It's the only game to allow it as of now.

There WAS that Eshop leak from Australia which showed one additional item for Smash that could be purchased, which could be a stand-alone version of the song, but we're still too far away from release to say for certain if that's the case. I kinda doubt that they'd lock a piece of Smash behind a 60$ paywall forever, but it's also Disney so who knows.
Well they did that with Olimar's trophy in Melee.

Shroob

Sup?
Well they did that with Olimar's trophy in Melee.
Yeah, but that was almost 20 years ago now.

The thing we have seen is that promo spirits, which are basically the best equivalent we have right now, get a 2-3 month exclusivity period for people who bought the game, and then are added via a patch for everyone later. Not the exact same thing no, but the closest we have.

Last edited:

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
I am so excited it's Sora! I still remember when I was in grade school renting the first game from Blockbuster so much that my parents bought it for me, and I looked through the strategy guide so much it is now held together by duct tape. Back then, I thought Sora in Smash would be the coolest thing ever, so It feels unreal that he is finally here! If I knew it would be him,I would have taken off work to see it and not trying to catch it during my lunch break lol :ultpacman:
I had a lot of fun with speculating Ult here and on Smashfaqs and met so many cool people. Hope I can see you all here again next game!

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm bored.

So, if you had to pick a fighter that's an animal... Who would it be?
View attachment 333459
I would go with a crab from that fighting crab game, which is on the Switch.
(There's so much moveset ideas with the many weapons you use)
Crash Bandicoot

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I hope next smash installment is a port with extra stuff, removing “everyone is here” would be a bad thing to lose.
SSE sequel would be amazing with the story and cutscenes but I guess that might be a bit too much and difficult now that we have 89 fighters

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Since the last character has now been revealed, here's a lot of happy people today because they got at least 1 character they've wanted in Smash, but is there anybody out there who has 0 characters they truly wanted in Smash? Even though there were a few really cool additions to Ultimate, I feel pretty letdown that none of the characters I was hoping for never made it to Ultimate and probably won't ever make it when the next Smash game comes around, but I've pretty much accepted the reality that not every character will be in Smash, including the 1s that you want the most.

This'll be my last question before I decide to wrap up my thoughts on DLC and delete my account as speculation was the main reason I stuck around smashboards even when I was less active on this thread as time went on. Now that it's pretty much over with a few things left to be said, I don't have much of a reason to stick around anymore.
I feel like I won just by getting a participation trophy, in other words, modern-day children's sports.

Seriously though, it's hard to see how Ultimate is overall a loss, even with the fact that the game was rushed and some of the DLC was more a bandaid and less of a hype contribution.

I mean, the game came out the second year the console was out (even if it was really the end of that year), got support up until this year with Challenger Packs, many of those challenger packs were hype and unexpected...it's been a good run for Ultimate.

Sure, I didn't get Geno or anyone from Skullgirls or Waluigi or Spyro, but Sora was slap-dashed into my list of requests due to being one of the few games I grew up on (out of my three most-played games, I believe KH2 ranks third, right behind Pokemon Emerald and Ultimate Ninja 3), so even though the series has strayed away from it's former glory it's a game I still have some major attachment to the past of the series with my childhood memories.

Sora isn't really a pick for me so much as it's a pick for 11-12 year-old me, and the only reason it works is because they went for all KH1 content mostly: KH1 design for Sora, all KH1 Music, KH1 Stage, a handful of KH1 spirits. Hell, there are only two KH3 costumes, only one for DDD, and the rest are KH2. There is a reason that I can't listen to even the swing version of Dearly Beloved because any version of that song evokes emotion from the pit of my gut. It's like Return to Zanarkand, but instead of it being tied to a moving story that I only got to fully experience as an adult, Dearly Beloved pulls out all my memories of playing KH1 and the hours I spent just playing KH2 after I beat it because that's just what I enjoyed doing: this one song takes the blissful, ignorant joy of my young self back in a simple summer season and mixes it with the increasing hype of each game I played up until I graduated from high school and tried to become a functioning adult and clashes it against the adult views that require more than just goofy Disney worlds and the critiques about bad gameplay mechanics and the story losing it's sight somewhere along the way.

Now that I got that out of my system and apparently needed to, I'll point out that while I love fighting games, I never asked for Terry despite my love for him and I'm not the biggest Tekken player, so while appealing it wasn't a request of mine. Same goes for Banjo & Kazooie: I grew up with them, but never got so attached like many others and my hype was all about making it happen because it would be cool and people would be super happy, something that was further pushed by all the platformer remakes that were happening. I didn't know much at all about Persona until after Joker got in, I've never touched a Dragon Quest game, I stopped playing Fire Emblem after The Sacred Stones, I've never played ARMS, I don't like Minecraft, my love for Sephiroth is very recent and is surface-level in comparison to what I wrote above and I didn't ask for him, and I get the Xeno games all confused since I've never played any of them.

In other words, there were some things that were appealing to me out of this DLC, but only Sora was on my list and if the character had been all modern-era in design and content I wouldn't have cared as much personally as I would have been hyped for how big a deal it was...but they went full nostalgia so I care a lot more personally and in the strangest of ways I got one of my requests into Smash via pre-teen me. I bet that little guy is freaking out right now, imagine telling him twenty years ago Sora would be in Smash. Probably would have overwhelmed you with questions and been disappointed when you told him Graviga isn't in his moveset since that was my favorite spell in KH1 as a kid and also sad over not having Ragnarok but settling for Sonic Blade since I loved spamming both of them.

But, as long as the reveals are hype and Smash gets more content, I can stay winning just by being around to see it. That's how I feel anyway.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Since the last character has now been revealed, here's a lot of happy people today because they got at least 1 character they've wanted in Smash, but is there anybody out there who has 0 characters they truly wanted in Smash? Even though there were a few really cool additions to Ultimate, I feel pretty letdown that none of the characters I was hoping for never made it to Ultimate and probably won't ever make it when the next Smash game comes around, but I've pretty much accepted the reality that not every character will be in Smash, including the 1s that you want the most.

This'll be my last question before I decide to wrap up my thoughts on DLC and delete my account as speculation was the main reason I stuck around smashboards even when I was less active on this thread as time went on. Now that it's pretty much over with a few things left to be said, I don't have much of a reason to stick around anymore.
There is only 1 character that I wanted the most compared to anyone else from the beginning and that is Geno even before playing SMRPG I was already demanding Geno the most it has been many years now and yet still waiting.

for me getting Geno playable ends an era for smash to me basically I wouldn’t care much about anyone else getting in after him. There are other characters I support but even if they are not playable I will still be happy with Geno playable more than anyone else.

In a way you could say this is a similar situation to Banjo fans just seeing him in a game again brings so much happiness and there is only one way to make that a reality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom