• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Ah gotcha then so basically like Doomslayer and Master Chief. DOOM was the first FPS but Halo had the biggest impact.
That's a good way of putting it. Touhou is definitely big, but I don't think it's been a big influence outside of games explicitly based on it.

...but with the FPS comparison, Sakurai would definitely add Reimu first based on today lol.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So since everybody's doing it, I assume I have to do my list of favorites and whatnot.

Newcomers I was excited for because I played/invested in their games/series and really liked them-Tier: :ultinkling::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter::ulthero2::ultbanjokazooie::ultsephiroth::ultsora:
Newcomers whose games I enjoyed and while they weren't a priority to me, I still liked them-Tier: :ultdaisy::ultincineroar::ultchrom::ultminmin:ultpiranha:
Newcomers where I've played a game from their series that I enjoyed, but haven't played the games they were in-tier: :ultpyra::ulthero::ulthero3::ulthero4::ultisabelle::ultbyleth:(For Byleth, it's more that I played their game a little bit and am now having trouble getting back into it).
Newcomers who's games and series I really wasn't invested in, but still am okay with them for what they bring-Tier: :ultken::ultjoker::ult_terry::ultsteve::ultkazuya:

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
...but with the FPS comparison, Sakurai would definitely add Reimu first based on today lol.
So you're looking at the FPS costume we got to use primacy as a blueprint for indies, even though we already have four indie characters in Smash, three of whom are costumes, and none of whom predate Reimu?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I think it's awesome that Sakurai took the time to briefly mention the importance of Doom on the FPS genre. Awesome shoutout, and congrats to Bethesda on a third costume!
Wonder if we'll get a "Bethesda All-Stars" spirit event or something lol

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Why not both? Although Andy and Advance Wars have to deal with the issue of little popularity in Japan.

looks at your Metroid Dread avatar
Should that really be an issue?
I know that's the silver lining haha

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
There's nothing really to speculate on Ultimate anymore if I'm correct on that.
There's really no point in guessing what other spirit events we could get. Any game's on the table for that.

And patch wise? I doubt bonus content is coming at this point. Maybe a few more balance patches and that's it.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
There's nothing really to speculate on Ultimate anymore if I'm correct on that.
There's really no point in guessing what other spirit events we could get. Any game's on the table for that.

And patch wise? I doubt bonus content is coming at this point. Maybe a few more balance patches and that's it.
Yeah it certainly feels like the end of the road. I'm sure we'll get a few more spirit events and some balance changes, but this seems to be it in terms of speculation. I'm relieved in a way.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
The Ultimate roster is looking fantastic in its finished state, but I'm still disappointed we've gone another game with no brand new Zelda character. Can't wait for Toon Zelda or BOTW 2 Link in the next one 😬

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not to be dubbed racist by the old "racist prover", but it's kind of a shame that there seemed to be so many willing western companies but so few of those characters ended up on the roster. Not that I dislike Japanese characters, on average I actually like them and Japanese games a lot more - but it's clear that big companies like Ubisoft and Bethesda (back when they were their own thing) were game to play ball, and I'm sure the indies were just thrilled to be included in any capacity, so it's too bad we couldn't have seen even a slightly more balanced split.

I'm not even saying 50:50, but, idk, maybe two a pass instead of one? Not that I want to open a can of worms as to who would get included and who would get booted. It's more just the concept than the practice.

I mean, doesn't Smash tout itself as a history of gaming? And it is, but it clearly skews one way. And that's understandable, Japan is a seminal facet of the industry, and the company making the game is Japanese, after all. Working with western devs in a greater capacity would also entail more complexity, so I get it. But, idk, seeing almost all the western stuff relegated to consolation prizes is a little bittersweet. Gaming is quite a worldwide thing these days.

If nothing else, I imagine the future Smash games will only increase their western collaborations; there's a lot of untapped potential there.

It was mostly a joke about the funny coincidence of that specific comparison being mentioned. I do think Reimu is more likely than Quote, but not because of arbitrary patterns.
Ah, gotcha.

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
okay so now lets speculating on what additional stages we're getting, they could shadow drop another one like small battlefield in the future...

Paraster

Smash Lord
So you're looking at the FPS costume we got to use primacy as a blueprint for indies, even though we already have four indie characters in Smash, three of whom are costumes, and none of whom predate Reimu?
It was mostly a joke about the funny coincidence of that specific comparison being mentioned. I do think Reimu is more likely than Quote, but not because of arbitrary patterns.

Damn, I just realized this isn’t in Smash despite it being the best song in KH. I wonder what the hold up here was, it’s a KH OC theme.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure all the KH songs added are from 1. Not sure why.

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
It's been hours and I can still barely believe that Sora actually got in Smash Bros. I've only played KH1 and KH2 and I still got emotional when the orchestral version of Simple and Clean played. I never thought Disney would ever let Sora get in Smash, but here we are. Sora feels like the perfect character to end Ultimate on, the only other one that I feel would have worked this well is Master Chief. This reveal made me want to replay KH2, I'll probably play through KH2FM as I only played the original KH2 a long time ago.

I'm also thankful that characters like Dante, Shantae, Doomguy and Travis got Mii costumes at least. It's nice to see popular requests get some form of representation like this. It makes it clear that Nintendo understands how many people wanted them in Smash. And who knows, maybe they'll get their chance another day just like Chrom, Isabelle and King K. Rool got theirs.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The best part of KH is the music, and 9 songs is great and all, but I wish they picked other tracks, like 13th struggle.

Ah well. There's Destati and Hollow Bastion at least.

Not happy Dearly Beloved is locked behind another game. That's just a **** move for those who bought the DLC.
The fact that we don't have Re:Mind tracks or Rage Awakens causes my rage to awaken. Granted, my main exposure so far is just watching some dude beat up all the Re:Mind bosses but with style so I'm kinda biased, but c'mon, man. The intense boss themes would fit Smash like a glove.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure all the KH songs added are from 1. Not sure why.
Ah you might be right actually. That’s a bit lame but KH still has better music than DQ & Minecraft lol

I still can’t wrap my head that Sakurai/Nintendo got Disney on board. I honestly think Sony might happen in the next game at this point.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
The best part of KH is the music, and 9 songs is great and all, but I wish they picked other tracks, like 13th struggle.

Ah well. There's Destati and Hollow Bastion at least.

Not happy Dearly Beloved is locked behind another game. That's just a **** move for those who bought the DLC.
I'm also really bummed about having the 10th track locked behind another game, especially because its my favorite of the 10 tracks.
I really don't want to buy a whole game just to get another song in Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Would Reimu count? She’s pretty much the OG indie anyway
Seeing as nearly the entire series is just handled by ZUN I'd say that's pretty darn indie
I'd say yes. While non-indie companies have made Touhou games, I'd liken that to something like Cadence of Hyrule. ZUN is still the sole rights-holder, and the "official" Touhou games are either solo projects or collaborations with another indie company.
I'd argue Touhou has had more effect on the doujin scene than the indie scene, honestly. Touhou's known for it's large amount of fanworks, be it fangames, manga, animations, or songs, but when you compare it to other indies like Cave Story, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Hollow Knight, etc. the way the franchise is handled and structured just feels different. Well, that and the fact that "doujin work" isn't a term you usually hear in the English-speaking gaming sphere.

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507
I still can’t wrap my head that Sakurai/Nintendo got Disney on board. I honestly think Sony might happen in the next game at this point.
Maybe just a Q*bert spirit and that's being really generous (I don't think even this is gonna happen). Sony would rather release PASBR 2 and include Spiderman, Aloy and Ellie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom