• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Y'know, looking back at it, Sora's reveal feels... I dunno, not exactly bad, but it did feel rather understated. Maybe it's just because my dad had to tell me not to shout at 7 AM in the morning and that interrupted the hype train, but there's a mere three Mii Costumes, the trailer cut off after the already rather awkward tagline, the moveset was fairly sane compared to the ludicrous gimmicks we got throughout this pass, the stage is fairly standard like most of the other DLC stages (Which is kind of a bummer; We got all those moving parts in the background of Hollow Bastion but we can't even stand on 'em), the Final Smash doesn't feel like it has the same bombast as some of the others, and the music list is comparatively small, lacking in remixes, and was solely based on the first game (I think?)

Granted, I've been moving away from Smash since Kazuya, really. I think part of it is just on me not having the same energy anymore. When this all started, everything was new to me and waiting for me to dig into it, but now I've covered a lot of major bases, and it's just... Not the same feeling of discovery, y'know? I suppose it's just a reflection of my overall position; Not an absolutely massive bang, just a fairly simple finish.

There's also the fact that they probably had to balance both Disney's presumably high fees and the fact that the end of the DLC period probably didn't have much of a budget left, so something had to give. That's just how it is sometimes.
All these people are posting about how all their dreams came true and i can't help but feel a little left out. I ended on a draw: one character who was in my top 10 (Steve) and one character I loathe (not gonna get into this).

I'm not "mad" or "salty" or anything, I do like most of the inclusions, I just hope i get dealt the hand everyone else was in this game.
Yeah, I feel ya. I just accepted my two fairly niche wants (Adol and Reimu) weren't very likely, and I just started winding down a while ago. Byleth, Steve, and to a lesser extend Sora were the only ones really on my radar of wants, and none of them were characters I was actively rooting for. I've seen people go absolutely bonkers over the reveals, and I just don't have that same energy. Kinda goes for games in general, actually; Maybe it's because I have a nasty habit of spoiling myself on everything, but I can never get as invested or emotional or passionate as some people I know. It's not much, but it feels like my bar was raised a little too high and I dunno how to bring it down.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Okay, but DLC Speculation is over.

Like, what DLC do we have to speculate over now? We know everything.
When Sakurai initially didn't show the final smash, I was ready for a couple of weeks of people debating whether Donald and Goofy were going to be in it.

But then it was shown anyway and made that part pointless.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Might as well show you all my rankings for the Ultimate newcomers.

Smash newcomers tierlist.png

There is a blank template below if you want to make your own.

Smash newcomers tierlist.jpg

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So what? We speculate about Sora's Classic Mode for two weeks?

Seems like a kinda dry topic to me...
Par for the course then.

Besides that, we don't know how he'll actually play, sure we saw Sakurai play him, but watching someone play a character is not the same as actually playing the character yourself, so we don't know how he'll be received from a gameplay perspective. Nor do we know the small tidbits like the Boxing Ring stage title, what fighting against the spirits will actually be like, (I think we know all the spirits but not necessarily the actual battles themselves for all of them), all of the victory screens, all of the taunts, etc.

And there's always the possibility of more spirit events or event tourneys announced in the future.

Last edited:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
All these people are posting about how all their dreams came true and i can't help but feel a little left out. I ended on a draw: one character who was in my top 10 (Steve) and one character I loathe (not gonna get into this).

I'm not "mad" or "salty" or anything, I do like most of the inclusions, I just hope i get dealt the hand everyone else was in this game.
I got K. Rool (I voted for him back in the days of Smash 4 ballot) and Ridley, but none of the DLC characters was one of my most wanted.
It's a bit sad, but I never had too much hope about them. At least I can say like almost all of the DLCs.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
K. Rool, Banjo, Pyra/Mythra, and Sora are definitely the highlight newcomers for me.

Didn’t get my most wanted, but still extremely satisfied.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I have egg on my face, but that’s not a bad thing. Eggs are quite high in protein after all!

First off, Sora is our final fighter for Ultimate! I will fully admit, I was a non-believer in Sora ever happening. I always agreed that Sora had basically everything a Smash candidate could want. He’s popular, comes from a massive and influential franchise, and has a ton of moveset potential. However, I figured that having to negotiate a reasonable deal with the juggernaut that is modern-day Disney would be too high of a bar to clear for a single character. However, I am very pleasantly surprised to be wrong! Sakurai and Nintendo were able to work something out with the Mouse and make one final dream drop (:4pacman:) into Smash.

Plus, while I’m really not familiar at all with Kingdom Hearts beyond its premise and the fact that its plot is bat**** insane, it’s clear that a lot of heart went into Sora. Between the costumes, alternating spells on the taunt, and the measures taken to make sure he plays true to his source material, Sora makes such a perfect addition to Smash. Plus, he looks pretty fun! A mix of Jigglypuff, Bayonetta, and Hero sounds terrifying, but he’s definitely got some cool-looking tools. My only complaint is his down-special being a counter. I get it, it’s technically different because he’s parrying then striking, but that’s a negligible difference for what is still a very overused and, to be honest, uninspired choice for a down special. As I said, I know nothing about Kingdom Hearts, but I don’t buy that they couldn’t think of a better alternative when pulling for moves across almost 20 years' worth of games.

Also, to address the elephant in the room, I was pretty adamant in my belief that we wouldn’t get an all-star pick for the final character. That being said, I think some people misread my argument as “this is what I want to happen” rather than “this is what I think will happen”. It was just a descriptive prediction based on past precedent for the purposes of speculation, it was never meant to be some value judgment of any sort of character. In most of the posts where I advocated for this position (especially my most recent ones), I tried to stipulate that there was always a chance I could be wrong and that I definitely wouldn’t mind being wrong. I am now wrong and I can tell you that I don’t mind it.

That being said, my personal feeling towards Sora’s inclusion in and of itself is… indifference. Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely not saying I dislike that Sora was included or anything along those lines. Like I said, he objectively fits all of the criteria I would consider for a good Smash character, really sticks the landing in execution, fulfills a long-time fan request, and the fact he’s here at all is impressive in and of itself. However, I have really no meaningful emotional connection to Kingdom Hearts, so it’s tough for me to appreciate him in the same way I appreciate, say, Ridley or Byleth. His inclusion is definitely a dream come true, it’s just not mine…

…Which is totally fine, because I’ve already had my dream come true in the form of Ultimate itself. I never thought we’d live in a Smash game where every veteran would be playable. I never thought we’d have a Smash game where Ridley was playable. I never thought we’d have a Smash game where many of the left-behind stages from Melee and Brawl returned. I never thought we’d have a Smash game where a Dragon Quest character was playable and I especially never thought we’d have a Smash game where Eight would be playable. I never thought we have a DLC pack that added Byleth as a playable character. Are there some things about Ultimate I would change? Sure, but those things are all so subjective, minor, and few that they’re barely on my radar when thinking about or playing Ultimate.

The part of today’s presentation that hit me the hardest was easily when Sakurai began discussing the history of Ultimate’s development and began cataloging the academic career of a hypothetical student alongside Ultimate’s development. I was 18 and completing the first year of my undergraduate degree when Ultimate was announced. I was 16 and halfway through my junior year of high school when Ultimate’s project plan was completed. I was 13 and finishing middle school when Smash for Wii U/3DS was first unveiled. Now, I’m 22 and am a month into law school. Throughout this entire time, Smash has been with me. Watching my favourite game series reach the scale that Ultimate has attained is nothing short of a marvel. As cliche as it sounds, it truly feels like Smash Bros and I have grown up alongside each other.

Of course, my experience with Smash Bros would be significantly different without Smash speculation and Smashboards. Getting to discuss who we think is getting in, who we think is not getting in, and what new developments and reveals meant for those predictions was a ton of fun and incredibly engaging. I genuinely do not think I would be where I am today if Smashboards didn’t give me a safe and accommodating environment to work on my critical thinking and argumentation skills. Outsiders may judge this thread as little more than a collection of people engaging in petty squabbles over characters in a children’s video game, but I honestly think it is so much more than that. This thread is a collection of people from all walks of life from all over the globe coming together over a common love of Super Smash Bros, Nintendo, and video games as a whole.

I have no idea what the future holds in terms of my Smash speculation career (well, to the extent you can call posting on a message board a “career”). Obviously, no one can definitively predict where they’ll be in 3 to 7 years, but the current life path I’m going down leads me to believe I probably won’t have the same amount of free time to invest into speculation as I did for Smash 4 and Ultimate by the time the Ultimate’s successor is announced. Nevertheless, no matter what happens, no one can ever take these past 7 years I’ve spent theorizing, speculating, and predicting on here.

I’ll probably hang around the boards for a bit longer (at least until this thread is closed), but I figure now’s the best time to give a formal goodbye. I’d like to really thank everyone in this thread and the previous speculation threads for making my time on Smashboards so great. Each of you are incredibly intelligent, passionate people and, to those who never have the pleasure of meeting again, I hope you all live the happiest, most fulfilling lives you can.

It’d be impossible to name everyone, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t at least tag some of the users who made the biggest impact on me so they could see this message:
SharkLord SharkLord
Delzethin Delzethin
G Guynamednelson
Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura
Speed Weed Speed Weed
SNEKeater SNEKeater
osby osby
GilTheGreat19 GilTheGreat19
Cosmic77 Cosmic77
PeridotGX PeridotGX
Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12

Thank you all for such an awesome ride. Take care, everyone.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

View attachment 333397

I'm too lazy to edit images, so I'll just do it over text
  • S Tier: :ultsora::ultjoker:
  • A Tier: :ultsephiroth::ult_terry::ultsimon::ultrichter::ulthero::ultinkling::ultsteve::ultpiranha:
  • B Tier: :ultbanjokazooie::ultridley::ultkrool::ultchrom::ultpyra::ultbyleth::ultken::ultminmin(with ARMS movie lore)
  • C Tier: :ultdarksamus::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultjokeralt::ultdaisy::ultminmin(without ARMS movie lore)
Y'all wanna close this **** down so bad like you haven't just been casually chillin here the past 3 years goddamn lol
I mean you right lmao but also we have a Social Thread to hang out now. Feels like we're riding a dead horse if we just hang out here.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I have egg on my face, but that’s not a bad thing. Eggs are quite high in protein after all!

First off, Sora is our final fighter for Ultimate! I will fully admit, I was a non-believer in Sora ever happening. I always agreed that Sora had basically everything a Smash candidate could want. He’s popular, comes from a massive and influential franchise, and has a ton of moveset potential. However, I figured that having to negotiate a reasonable deal with the juggernaut that is modern-day Disney would be too high of a bar to clear for a single character. However, I am very pleasantly surprised to be wrong! Sakurai and Nintendo were able to work something out with the Mouse and make one final dream drop (:4pacman:) into Smash.

Plus, while I’m really not familiar at all with Kingdom Hearts beyond its premise and the fact that its plot is bat**** insane, it’s clear that a lot of heart went into Sora. Between the costumes, alternating spells on the taunt, and the measures taken to make sure he plays true to his source material, Sora makes such a perfect addition to Smash. Plus, he looks pretty fun! A mix of Jigglypuff, Bayonetta, and Hero sounds terrifying, but he’s definitely got some cool-looking tools. My only complaint is his down-special being a counter. I get it, it’s technically different because he’s parrying then striking, but that’s a negligible difference for what is still a very overused and, to be honest, uninspired choice for a down special. As I said, I know nothing about Kingdom Hearts, but I don’t buy that they couldn’t think of a better alternative when pulling for moves across almost 20 years' worth of games.

Also, to address the elephant in the room, I was pretty adamant in my belief that we wouldn’t get an all-star pick for the final character. That being said, I think some people misread my argument as “this is what I want to happen” rather than “this is what I think will happen”. It was just a descriptive prediction based on past precedent for the purposes of speculation, it was never meant to be some value judgment of any sort of character. In most of the posts where I advocated for this position (especially my most recent ones), I tried to stipulate that there was always a chance I could be wrong and that I definitely wouldn’t mind being wrong. I am now wrong and I can tell you that I don’t mind it.

That being said, my personal feeling towards Sora’s inclusion in and of itself is… indifference. Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely not saying I dislike that Sora was included or anything along those lines. Like I said, he objectively fits all of the criteria I would consider for a good Smash character, really sticks the landing in execution, fulfills a long-time fan request, and the fact he’s here at all is impressive in and of itself. However, I have really no meaningful emotional connection to Kingdom Hearts, so it’s tough for me to appreciate him in the same way I appreciate, say, Ridley or Byleth. His inclusion is definitely a dream come true, it’s just not mine…

…Which is totally fine, because I’ve already had my dream come true in the form of Ultimate itself. I never thought we’d live in a Smash game where every veteran would be playable. I never thought we’d have a Smash game where Ridley was playable. I never thought we’d have a Smash game where many of the left-behind stages from Melee and Brawl returned. I never thought we’d have a Smash game where a Dragon Quest character was playable and I especially never thought we’d have a Smash game where Eight would be playable. I never thought we have a DLC pack that added Byleth as a playable character. Are there some things about Ultimate I would change? Sure, but those things are all so subjective, minor, and few that they’re barely on my radar when thinking about or playing Ultimate.

The part of today’s presentation that hit me the hardest was easily when Sakurai began discussing the history of Ultimate’s development and began cataloging the academic career of a hypothetical student alongside Ultimate’s development. I was 18 and completing the first year of my undergraduate degree when Ultimate was announced. I was 16 and halfway through my junior year of high school when Ultimate’s project plan was completed. I was 13 and finishing middle school when Smash for Wii U/3DS was first unveiled. Now, I’m 22 and am a month into law school. Throughout this entire time, Smash has been with me. Watching my favourite game series reach the scale that Ultimate has attained is nothing short of a marvel. As cliche as it sounds, it truly feels like Smash Bros and I have grown up alongside each other.

Of course, my experience with Smash Bros would be significantly different without Smash speculation and Smashboards. Getting to discuss who we think is getting in, who we think is not getting in, and what new developments and reveals meant for those predictions was a ton of fun and incredibly engaging. I genuinely do not think I would be where I am today if Smashboards didn’t give me a safe and accommodating environment to work on my critical thinking and argumentation skills. Outsiders may judge this thread as little more than a collection of people engaging in petty squabbles over characters in a children’s video game, but I honestly think it is so much more than that. This thread is a collection of people from all walks of life from all over the globe coming together over a common love of Super Smash Bros, Nintendo, and video games as a whole.

I have no idea what the future holds in terms of my Smash speculation career (well, to the extent you can call posting on a message board a “career”). Obviously, no one can definitively predict where they’ll be in 3 to 7 years, but the current life path I’m going down leads me to believe I probably won’t have the same amount of free time to invest into speculation as I did for Smash 4 and Ultimate by the time the Ultimate’s successor is announced. Nevertheless, no matter what happens, no one can ever take these past 7 years I’ve spent theorizing, speculating, and predicting on here.

I’ll probably hang around the boards for a bit longer (at least until this thread is closed), but I figure now’s the best time to give a formal goodbye. I’d like to really thank everyone in this thread and the previous speculation threads for making my time on Smashboards so great. Each of you are incredibly intelligent, passionate people and, to those who never have the pleasure of meeting again, I hope you all live the happiest, most fulfilling lives you can.

It’d be impossible to name everyone, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t at least tag some of the users who made the biggest impact on me so they could see this message:
SharkLord SharkLord
Delzethin Delzethin
G Guynamednelson
Speed Weed Speed Weed
SNEKeater SNEKeater
osby osby
Cosmic77 Cosmic77
PeridotGX PeridotGX

Dude I did not expect my name to be there, don't make me cry now...
Best of luck on everything, Garteam. And let your heart be your guiding key ❤

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Can’t really be mad. I’ve never had an opinion one way or the other on Sora in Smash. But, I don’t think you need to be a fan of him to see that this was a very fitting/good ending for Smash. I still can’t get over how perfect the final shot of the trailer is. The shot, along with the music, just brings a great sense of finality to it all. Sure, there are characters I would’ve preferred, sure this ride has had a lot of ups and downs, and sure there are still (arguably) a few things missing from this game. But the bulk of what Smash is, has been represented very well.

Now that Smash speculation is over for the foreseeable future, I’m not sure how long I’ll be sticking around. I’ve got quite a few other priorities in my life. I won’t say this is goodbye, since I’m sure I’ll pop in here and there with little comments, I just don’t know how frequently. I hope I’ll talk with you all again, but for now, take care everyone, and thanks for the ride.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I may have gotten too cocky over Isaac's chances, but oh well. At least, like I said, there's Nick All-Star Brawl to hope for another Isaac in the form of James "Jimmy" Isaac Neutron.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Barring any spirit events post-Sora launch, this is it. The final time I update this.

Every franchise in Ultimate - Just how Ultimate is it?

Playable Characters
1. Mario
2. Donkey Kong
3. The Legend of Zelda
4. Metroid
5. Yoshi
6. Kirby
7. Star Fox
8. Pokémon
9. F-Zero
10. EarthBound
11. Ice Climber
12. Fire Emblem
13. Game & Watch
14. Kid Icarus
15. Wario
16. Pikmin
17. R.O.B.
18. Animal Crossing
19. Wii Fit
20. Punch-Out!!
21. Xenoblade Chronicles
22. Duck Hunt
23. Splatoon
24. ARMS
25. Metal Gear
26. Castlevania
27. Sonic the Hedgehog
28. Bayonetta
29. Persona
30. Mega Man
31. Street Fighter
32. PAC-MAN
33. Tekken
34. FINAL FANTASY
35. DRAGON QUEST
36. KINGDOM HEARTS
37. Banjo-Kazooie
38. FATAL FURY
39. Minecraft

Stages
40. Doki Doki Panic
41. Electroplankton
42. Balloon Fight
43. nintendogs
44. Find Mii (Streetpass Mii Plaza)
45. Tomodachi Life
46. Pictochat
47. Wrecking Crew
48. Pilotwings
49. Wii Sports

Items
50. Puzzle League
51. Super Scope
52. Steel Diver: Sub Wars
53. Clu Clu Land
54. Galaga/Galaxian
55. Rally-X

Assist Trophies
56. The Mysterious Murasame Castle
57. SimCity
58. For the Frog the Bell Tolls
59. Joy Mech Fight
60. Golden Sun
61. The Legendary Starfy
62. Brain Age
63. Art Academy
64.Swapnote
65. Dillon's Rolling Western
66. Fatal Frame
67. Nintendo Badge Arcade
68. Bomberman
69. Virtua Fighter
70. Monster Hunter
71. Shovel Knight

Spirits
72. Wild Gunman
73. Hogan's Alley
74. Wii Music
75. Wii Party
76. Monster Manor (Streetpass Mii Plaza)
77. Mii Force (Streetpass Mii Plaza)
78. Ultimate Angler (Streetpass Mii Plaza)
79. Ninja Launcher (Streetpass Mii Plaza)
80. Feed Mii (Streetpass Mii Plaza)
81. Slot Car Rivals (Streetpass Mii Plaza)
82. Nintendo Land
83. Sheriff
84. Baseball (Famicom Sports)
85. Tennis (Famicom Sports)
86. Devil World
87. Urban Champion
88. Excite
89. Mach Rider
90. Famicom Disk System
91. New Demon Island (Famicom Fairy Tales)
92. Ice Hockey (Famicom Sports)
93. Famicom Grand Prix
94. Advance Wars/Famicom Wars/Battalion Wars
95. Famicom Detective Club
96. Yūyūki (Famicom Fairy Tales)
97. Yakuman
98. X
99. Mole Mania
100. Trade & Battle: Card Hero
101. Battle Clash
102. Stunt Race FX
103. Marvelous: Another Treasure Island
104. Sutte Hakkun
105. The Forest of Beginnings (Famicom Pocket Books)
106. Teleroboxer
107. Wave Race
108. 1080°
109. Custom Robo
110. Sin & Punishment
111. Kuru Kuru Kururin
112. Napoleon
113. Magical Vacation
114. Tomato Adventure
115. Sennen Kazoku
116. Nonono Puzzle Chalien
117. The Tower SP
118. Drill Dozer
119. Calciobit
120. Rhythm Heaven
121. Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest
122. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
123. Giftpia
124. Baten Kaitos
125. Chibi-Robo
126. Jam with the Band
127. Trace Memory
128. Big Brain Academy
129. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan
130. Elite Beat Agents
131. Project Hacker: Kakusei
132. Chōsōjū Mecha MG
133. Hotel Dusk: Room 215
134. Kurikin Nano Island Story
135. Number Battle
136. Slide Adventure MAGKID
137. ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
138. Make 10: A Journey of Numbers
139. Soma Bringer
140. Fossil Fighters
141. Glory of Heracles
142. Personal Trainer: Cooking
143. Style Savvy
144. Looksley's Line Up
145. Tsukutte Utau: Saru Band
146. Captain Rainbow
147. Disaster: Day of Crisis
148. Takt of Magic
149. Reginleiv the Slasher
150. And-Kensaku
151. FlingSmash
152. The Last Story
153. Pandora's Tower
154. Pushmo
155. Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
156. Kiki Trick
157. Culdcept
158. HarmoKnight
159. Fluidity: Spin Cycle
160. Nintendoji
161. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
162. Boxboy!
163. Codename: S.T.E.A.M.
164. Ever Oasis
165. Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
166. The Wonderful 101
167. Snipperclips: Cut it out, together!
168. Final Fight
169. Rayman
170. Rabbids
171. Shantae
172. Nintendo Labo
173. Daemon x Machina
174. Art of Fighting
175. THE KING OF FIGHTERS
176. SAMURAI SHODOWN
177. Psycho Soldier/Athena
178. Ikari Warriors
179. Resident Evil
180. Astral Chain
181. Kunio-Kun/River City
182. Warframe
183. Ring Fit Adventure
184. Trials of/Secret of Mana
185. Octopath Traveller
186. Bravely Default
187. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

Mii Costumes
188. Mystical Ninja Goemon
189. UNDERTALE
190. Assassin's Creed
191. Cuphead
192. Fallout
193. No More Heroes
194. Ghosts 'N' Goblins
195. Tales Of
196. The Elder Scrolls
197. Devil May Cry
198. DOOM

Music
199. Mappy
200. Libble Rabble
201. Metro-Cross
202. Sky Kid
203. Dragon Spirit
204. Dig Dug
205. Babylonian Castle Saga
206. Wonder Momo
207. Valkyrie
208. Thunder Ceptor
209. After Burner
210. Getsu Fuma Den
211. Tetris
212. Wii Shop Channel
213. Mii Channel
214. Wii Play
215. AR Games
216. Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!
217. NES Remix
218. Miitopia
219. Tank Troopers
220. Alpha Mission
221. Metal Slug

Cameo
222. King & Balloon
223. Bosconian
224. Xevious
225. Dragon Buster
226. Baraduke/Alien Sector
227. Taiko Master
228. Katamari

Costume Reference
229. NES Open Tournament Golf

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

View attachment 333397

Only was I about halfway through this when I realized I could be doing the same with the icons on the site, but it is what it is. :laugh:

UltTier.png

It's funny how little fanfare there's been for Inkling since her reveal considering how popular the character was leading into Ultimate. If you didn't know any better you could almost be forgiven for thinking people were always relatively apathetic about the character.

And if they're not on the chart, you guess it - F Tier.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Well it's not like anyone is entitled to get characters they want. There's plenty of "broken dreams" left in the path of what is ultimately a relatively low number of characters (at least when compared to all video game characters that exist) being included in this game.

Better to appreciate what we got and the effort that got put into it rather than sulk over what we didn't get.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Fwiw I get it. Prior to this there was only one character in each pass I actively really liked, and the rest was a mix of content to dislike. I think a consequence of widening the net being cast to this extent is you may have fewer series speak to you than before.

And not everyone is going to gain an affinity for a character just because they're in the game.

I suppose the silver lining is at least it's not another character you loathe.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
:ultinkling:: I suck at multiplayer FPS games. I do not care for nor have any interest in this series. Doesn't mean it wasn't a necessary addition. 7/10.
:ultridley:: I will admit, I was a "too big" supporter, but seeing him in action is fun. 9/10
:ultsimon:: I said the Galaga leak wasn't **** but I got proven wrong the next day. Doesn't mean he's not cool though. 9/10.
:ultkrool:: K. Rool fans were obnoxious back in the day and I will stand by that. Don't get me started on what they did after he was revealed after Ashley was deconfirmed, you do not want to remember. His trailer had a lot of love in it though and he grew on me. 8/10.
:ultisabelle:: It's weird that they chose to make her a semiclone and not an Echo, it makes more sense imo. Also, I prefer Tom Nook. 5/10.
:ultincineroar:: He killed the Grinch and it was glorious, and his moveset is also really cool. I preferred him over the other two starters, sorry Decidueye fans. 8/10.
:ultpiranha:: He made me laugh, I love the wacky Sakurai characters, but I'm not good at playing them. 9/10.
:ultjoker:: Don't play Persona, and I can't get into SMT no matter how hard I try. I find more embarrassing Persona fans than cool ones, unfortunately. 7/10.
:ulthero3:: Brave leaks didn't really stop this from being a great inclusion. Would a "boring" character have the best mechanic in the game? 9/10.
:ultbanjokazooie:: This was not meant for me at all, I have zero interest in Banjo. Shoulda been Fulgore, Chief, or Steve (before Steve). 4/10.
:ult_terry:: LET'S ****ING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 10/10
:ultbyleth:: For Fire Emblem, I'm really not that heated over how many characters are in. I just didn't like Corrin because Fates is a **** game series. Three Houses is good tho. I will only accept Lyndis as a character inclusion after this, there should still not be this many Fire Emblems. 7/10.
:ultminmin: :tired:/10. That is all.
:ultsteve:: Ah, yes, the one who should've rightfully been in first. His trailer was cool, and he's a cool character. 8/10.
:ultsephiroth:: No one expected him, but he was absolutely necessary and brought life back to Square Enix representation. 10/10.
:ultpyra:: I outwardly dislike Xenoblade 2. Makes me cringe and felt like such a downgrade from the GOAT that is XC1. I would've never touched this game if I was Sakurai, but that doesn't mean it has its merits. Still, 1/10.
:ultjokeralt:: I told y'all from the start just because Heihachi was out doesn't mean Kazuya, a character just as important, couldn't make it in. I got my victory laugh out of it. I would've rather had a different fighter considering I actually don't play Tekken, but his moveset is fun. 9/10.
:ultsora:: My friends wanted him a lot more than I did. He still aight tho. 7/10.

As for the Echoes:
:ultdaisy:: Nothing bad with it, more power to Daisy fans. 7/10.
:ultchrom:: I find it funny they ended up making him a Roy clone and not an Ike clone like how they jabbed at it in Smash 4's Robin Palutena's Guidance. Still though, there's nothing bad with Chrom at all, more power to Chrom fans. 8/10, just because I wanted him over Lucina.
:ultdarksamus:: I saw this coming a mile away. Kinda sad they couldn't implement actual Phazon into her (its?) toolkit, but not bad. 7/10.
:ultrichter:: He would've been cooler with an additional SoTN alt imo. Surprised they chose him over Trevor but still good. 9/10.
:ultken:: How the **** is this an Echo but Isabelle isn't? They practically keep the same amount of differences. I prefer playing Ryu but Ken is cool. 7/10.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Barring any spirit events post-Sora launch, this is it. The final time I update this.

Every franchise in Ultimate - Just how Ultimate is it?

Playable Characters
1. Mario
2. Donkey Kong
3. The Legend of Zelda
4. Metroid
5. Yoshi
6. Kirby
7. Star Fox
8. Pokémon
9. F-Zero
10. EarthBound
11. Ice Climber
12. Fire Emblem
13. Game & Watch
14. Kid Icarus
15. Wario
16. Pikmin
17. R.O.B.
18. Animal Crossing
19. Wii Fit
20. Punch-Out!!
21. Xenoblade Chronicles
22. Duck Hunt
23. Splatoon
24. ARMS
25. Metal Gear
26. Castlevania
27. Sonic the Hedgehog
28. Bayonetta
29. Persona
30. Mega Man
31. Street Fighter
32. PAC-MAN
33. Tekken
34. FINAL FANTASY
35. DRAGON QUEST
36. KINGDOM HEARTS
37. Banjo-Kazooie
38. FATAL FURY
39. Minecraft

Stages
40. Doki Doki Panic
41. Electroplankton
42. Balloon Fight
43. nintendogs
44. Find Mii (Streetpass Mii Plaza)
45. Tomodachi Life
46. Pictochat
47. Wrecking Crew
48. Pilotwings
49. Wii Sports

Items
50. Puzzle League
51. Super Scope
52. Steel Diver: Sub Wars
53. Clu Clu Land
54. Galaga/Galaxian
55. Rally-X

Assist Trophies
56. The Mysterious Murasame Castle
57. SimCity
58. For the Frog the Bell Tolls
59. Joy Mech Fight
60. Golden Sun
61. The Legendary Starfy
62. Brain Age
63. Art Academy
64.Swapnote
65. Dillon's Rolling Western
66. Fatal Frame
67. Nintendo Badge Arcade
68. Bomberman
69. Virtua Fighter
70. Monster Hunter
71. Shovel Knight

Spirits
72. Wild Gunman
73. Hogan's Alley
74. Wii Music
75. Wii Party
76. Monster Manor (Streetpass Mii Plaza)
77. Mii Force (Streetpass Mii Plaza)
78. Ultimate Angler (Streetpass Mii Plaza)
79. Ninja Launcher (Streetpass Mii Plaza)
80. Feed Mii (Streetpass Mii Plaza)
81. Slot Car Rivals (Streetpass Mii Plaza)
82. Nintendo Land
83. Sheriff
84. Baseball (Famicom Sports)
85. Tennis (Famicom Sports)
86. Devil World
87. Urban Champion
88. Excite
89. Mach Rider
90. Famicom Disk System
91. New Demon Island (Famicom Fairy Tales)
92. Ice Hockey (Famicom Sports)
93. Famicom Grand Prix
94. Advance Wars/Famicom Wars/Battalion Wars
95. Famicom Detective Club
96. Yūyūki (Famicom Fairy Tales)
97. Yakuman
98. X
99. Mole Mania
100. Trade & Battle: Card Hero
101. Battle Clash
102. Stunt Race FX
103. Marvelous: Another Treasure Island
104. Sutte Hakkun
105. The Forest of Beginnings (Famicom Pocket Books)
106. Teleroboxer
107. Wave Race
108. 1080°
109. Custom Robo
110. Sin & Punishment
111. Kuru Kuru Kururin
112. Napoleon
113. Magical Vacation
114. Tomato Adventure
115. Sennen Kazoku
116. Nonono Puzzle Chalien
117. The Tower SP
118. Drill Dozer
119. Calciobit
120. Rhythm Heaven
121. Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest
122. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
123. Giftpia
124. Baten Kaitos
125. Chibi-Robo
126. Jam with the Band
127. Trace Memory
128. Big Brain Academy
129. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan
130. Elite Beat Agents
131. Project Hacker: Kakusei
132. Chōsōjū Mecha MG
133. Hotel Dusk: Room 215
134. Kurikin Nano Island Story
135. Number Battle
136. Slide Adventure MAGKID
137. ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
138. Make 10: A Journey of Numbers
139. Soma Bringer
140. Fossil Fighters
141. Glory of Heracles
142. Personal Trainer: Cooking
143. Style Savvy
144. Looksley's Line Up
145. Tsukutte Utau: Saru Band
146. Captain Rainbow
147. Disaster: Day of Crisis
148. Takt of Magic
149. Reginleiv the Slasher
150. And-Kensaku
151. FlingSmash
152. The Last Story
153. Pandora's Tower
154. Pushmo
155. Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
156. Kiki Trick
157. Culdcept
158. HarmoKnight
159. Fluidity: Spin Cycle
160. Nintendoji
161. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
162. Boxboy!
163. Codename: S.T.E.A.M.
164. Ever Oasis
165. Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
166. The Wonderful 101
167. Snipperclips: Cut it out, together!
168. Final Fight
169. Rayman
170. Rabbids
171. Shantae
172. Nintendo Labo
173. Daemon x Machina
174. Art of Fighting
175. THE KING OF FIGHTERS
176. SAMURAI SHODOWN
177. Psycho Soldier/Athena
178. Ikari Warriors
179. Resident Evil
180. Astral Chain
181. Kunio-Kun/River City
182. Warframe
183. Ring Fit Adventure
184. Trials of/Secret of Mana
185. Octopath Traveller
186. Bravely Default
187. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

Mii Costumes
188. Mystical Ninja Goemon
189. UNDERTALE
190. Assassin's Creed
191. Cuphead
192. Fallout
193. No More Heroes
194. Ghosts 'N' Goblins
195. Tales Of
196. The Elder Scrolls
197. Devil May Cry
198. DOOM

Music
199. Mappy
200. Libble Rabble
201. Metro-Cross
202. Sky Kid
203. Dragon Spirit
204. Dig Dug
205. Babylonian Castle Saga
206. Wonder Momo
207. Valkyrie
208. Thunder Ceptor
209. After Burner
210. Getsu Fuma Den
211. Tetris
212. Wii Shop Channel
213. Mii Channel
214. Wii Play
215. AR Games
216. Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!
217. NES Remix
218. Miitopia
219. Tank Troopers
220. Alpha Mission
221. Metal Slug

Cameo
222. King & Balloon
223. Bosconian
224. Xevious
225. Dragon Buster
226. Baraduke/Alien Sector
227. Taiko Master
228. Katamari

Costume Reference
229. NES Open Tournament Golf
Poor Startropics has been thrown out since brawl

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
S Tier: :ult_terry::ultisabelle: (the two characters where I literally jumped up with joy)
A Tier: :ultchrom::ulthero3::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultpyra: (side note but we really need a Mythra flair)
B Tier: :ultinkling::ultbanjokazooie::ultbyleth::ultken::ultridley::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultminmin:ultjoker::ultkazuya:
C Tier::ultsteve::ultincineroar:
P Tier: :ultpiranha:

As time as gone on I've opened up to Steve more, but have also started to not like Byleth and Pyra/Mythra as much as I did during their reveal.

I should note that I first learned about Plant by seeing pics of it and not by the humurous trailer. Perhaps I would've liked it better had I seen the trailer first.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

SharkLord SharkLord
Delzethin Delzethin
G Guynamednelson
Speed Weed Speed Weed
SNEKeater SNEKeater
osby osby
Cosmic77 Cosmic77
PeridotGX PeridotGX

That's a powerful message. Didn't expect to be included in the mentions, but thanks, I really appreciate it :)

About your post, I'm in a similar situation. Technically I didn't get any of my most wanteds in the whole DLC cycle. I definitely got characters I liked (Sephiroth, Joker) or characters that thanks to their inclusion I started appreciating more and ended liking them a lot (Terry, Hero, Kazuya), but none of them was a character that I was actively supporting, and while it kinda sucks, I don't feel disappointed or anything at all. Admittedly, some of my most wanteds aren't precisely big names, which is a potential obstacle for them, but the thing is, Smash and especifically Smash Ultimate is truly something unique, and the work behind Ultimate is something truly remarkable.

In the end some people ended getting multiple most wanteds, others ended getting 0, others maybe only got 1, but I think we all can agree that this game was truly something else and this whole journey has been quite the experience.

By the time the next Smash game comes out I don't know if I'll be into speculation as much as now, but I'll definitely return around here at least once, I think. And as you said, I think the whole time we spent talking about Smash here has been great overall. As lots of people have already said, it has been a wild ride, but discussing and having a fun time talking about Smash with the people around here was totally worth it for me.

Thanks to Ultimate I ended joining this place, where I discovered series that now I adore (Ys, Trails, Guilty Gear), learnt and started enjoying series that I knew about but never decided to properly explore them (King of Fighters/Fatal Fury, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest), and started appreciating and respect more franchises that might not appeal to my interests that much (Minecraft, ARMS, Phantasy Star, Puyo Puyo, Banjo-Kazooie). I probably forgot to mention a few series, but I guess I can't remember all of them. My time around here has also helped me consolidate my love for certain series, such as Metroid, Final Fantasy, SMT, Persona, Yakuza, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil or Castlevania.

I'll be around here at least for a while. If they end closing this thread I might try go to the Social Thread and see how things are over there, but who knows. I definitely won't abandon this place, at worst I'll be checking out Smashboards from time to time and see how things are going!

And of course, the chance to interact with all of you guys was great. I shared more interests with some users than others, but still, I appreciate all the opinions, convos here and all the fun I had in this thread or in the specific character thread supports. I honestly think I have learned things since I joined here, just after Terry Bogard got announced back in that September Direct of 2019, and that's a great thing.

This place has very cool people and I'm glad I could find such a good place to talk about Smash and videogames in general. I wish the best for all of you guys ;)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well I don't want the community to just vanish.

We can all move to the social thread or make a new one.

And if it has to stay speculation related, I'd like to work on a project regarding revisionism in the Smash speculation community.

SKX31

Smash Master
Wait, Hollow Bastion actually looks competitively viable and fun! The timeline got better.

Also we can we talk about how they gave him Ness Jump, Link Up B, and Pikachu Up B for his Side B? I said it before, but I actually don't think it's possible to gimp this guy.
Don't forget what could be one of the better stall-then-falls in the game by virtue of its sheer coverage and the presumed ability to B-reverse his Magic spells for some extra aerial mobility.

The only question mark is that his speed stats don't seem amazing, and the Ness Jump might make him susceptible to some juggle scenarios due to the jump's startup. But still.

We'll have to see how he handles, but :ultisabelle: might've only been chosen because she looks like she'd weight very little. Her weight value is 88, which is actually heavier than :ultlittlemac: , :ultrosalina: and :ultfalco: .

Hold on. Imma test this real quick.

Falco's weight is 82, and the elevator scales moved about as fast for Falco as they did for Sora. So in other words, unless I'm utterly wrong here (or they change between now and release) I'd put Sora's weight at around 82. Which would make him potentially heavier than :ultbayonetta: , :ultmewtwo: and :ultsephiroth: .

View attachment 333397

Gonna use tier maker too:

my-image (1).png

FTR, someone being ranked "D" doesn't mean I dislike them - in fact there are stuff I like about them too (characteristics / personality or - in Plant's case - the stuff like Ptooie and other Specials being unique). In the Echoes' cases my rankings would go up if they were to be differentiated from their source character, stats or not, while for Plant I honestly think it could use some additional fixes and it'd go up in there. A good example of this is Incin, whom I had lukewarm feelings about initially, but I kinda like its style - plus the buffs its gotten has really helped it out. Especially the Revenge buffs, those meant it could get to max Revenge multiplier (3X damage at 20 %) easier.

Much the same goes for those in C or D, Min Min is borderline B for me because I like her personality and the idea behind her playstyle, just think her abilities are a bit too polarizing currently (although it's not too bad of a problem, really).

And of course, Sora is subject to change dependent on gameplay. I'm not taking back Sans though, he's automatically S Tier just because he singlehandedly managed to get more people to play :ultgunner: .

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Oh right.
When, if it will, will this thread shut down?

Either way, Social Thread may be my main move.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I don't think I can make a satisfying tier list, but I can say who my favorites are.
Base Roster: Ridley.
Fighter Pass 1: Terry Bogard.
Fighter Pass 2: Sephiroth.
I want all three back for the next installment, though I would understand if Sephiroth doesn't return for whatever reason.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I do think there is one thing to still speculate on: balance changes. Will this next patch be the last? Will Falcon get somehow buffed again for the 20th time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom