• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Given all the events in gaming and in Smash the past couple of years, you know they could have gotten so many fun strips out of it. The Smash DLC character interaction alone would have been magical in BitF's hands.
Yeah, but i guess he took the "Brawl" part a little too seriously, and ended it as soon as Smash 3DS released.

I guess it's probably better that way. Either you die a Dave the Barbarian and Clone High, or you live long enough to become the Simpsons.

SKX31

Smash Master
I have mixed feelings about the idea of an Ultimate port.
On one hand, Nintendo never releases Smash in the latter half of a console's life (64 happened two years into the N64 life, Melee in the same release year as the GC, Brawl two years after the Wii and so on), and it'd be way easier to just port the whole roster than having to make a new one from scratch.
On the other hand though, would Nintendo honestly go through the hassle of making new deals with all these companies for such port? Somethng not impossible, but hard to believe.
The deals would not neccessarily have to be changed - merely extended - for a port. Which would still require quite a lot of negotiations TBF, but they've already hammered home the terms once.

Now there has already been one instance of a third party changing owners once: SNK had the Chinese corps 37 Games and Oriental Securities as their owners during the Terry negotiations - nowadays the Saudi prince MBS owns the majority of their shares via his MiSK Foundation. I'm not sure how that would impact any future negotiations, but that is going to figure into things regardless.

Now a port is in wonky territory regardless and heavily dependent on what Sakurai / Nintendo / Bamco feel about the situation at hand (and how much they can add / improve upon the existing game - that I feel would determine if the negotiations and porting overall would be worth it), but I'm not so sure that the negotiations in themselves would be a huge hindrance.

Same tbh.

Like, I think dragging the DLC out over 2 years as opposed to 1 was, well, not the greatest idea. Don't get me wrong, I've loved the characters, but, man it felt slow, especially due to circumstances that they couldn't control, like COVID.

I think I'm just ready for Ultimate to be done and the "Celebration of gaming" to be finalized in a few hours, regardless of who it is tbh.
Frankly, if there's any notes Nintendo could take from this would be to make more reasonable DLC seasons like other fighters. The schedules looked really bad when compared to SFV and FighterZ's respective second seasons, which delivered the same amonut of characters in less time.
Maybe it's just me who's completely used to slow updates - quite a few games give 2-3 big updates each year. For instance Valve works like Nintendo in many regards too - such as their tendencies to not hint when they release stuff before it's announcement time. But I'm not feeling that drained of speculation. Might be because I've had work / school-related stuff and my other interests (other games, sports, history etc.) helping me keep interest in whatever kind of insane shenaningas went down here, but still.

Regardless, the really bloody slow release schedule did not help matters, nor did the lack of a roadmap. I've mentioned Civilization VI's New Frontier Pass as a good example, but SFV / FighterZ / Strive are other really good examples because they gave us at least the general neighborhood of when they'd release:

So for Smash 6 - I don't think Nintendo will do this, but still - I'd really like to see a DLC roadmap so we know when to expect future DLC fighters / whatever.

Last edited:

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
Well folks, here we are... the eve of the final day.

It's been a long, long ride. And honestly, I'm kind of glad it's ending. The wait between releases felt way to overdrawn, it honestly got a bit exhausting.
I hope the next Smash is at the very least 5-7 years from now. Let the accomplishments of this game sink in for a long time. This is one hell of roster, one that shound't be overlooked or replaced so soon, regarless of whomever is revealed tomorrow.

I'm unfortunately going to miss the reveal live, missing all the hype real time. I'm taking measurements to avoid spoilers as much as I can, but not sure how successful I'll be. Regardless, there's nobody I REALLY want per se, but someone like Sora or Master Chief will be really cool. Anybody's fine... well not really. Anyone from Overwatch or Fortnite will irk me a bit, but I think I'll settle down eventually if things come to worse.

Last thing, I want to say goodbye to this thread. I'm not sure if it'll be locked once I come back (it'll be like 6 hours after the stream ends), since there'll be no need for a "speculation" discussion once all is said and done. It was fun. I wasn't a frequent post, but I would regularly comeback everytime a new announcemt was imminent.

That said, good luck to you all. May the final reveal be as hype all hell!

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Where did they say this tho? That's what I want to know, cos I ain't ever heard of this myself.
i don’t have the source of it but I remember someone reached out to the team behind mario kart tour through the question section in MKT asking if MKT was considered a mainline mario kart game and they relied saying yes.

the slice will be somewhere online but it was earlyish into the MKT lifespan.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I really need to sleep early today to catch this reveal live. I usually wake up around 12ish.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Same tbh.

Like, I think dragging the DLC out over 2 years as opposed to 1 was, well, not the greatest idea. Don't get me wrong, I've loved the characters, but, man it felt slow, especially due to circumstances that they couldn't control, like COVID.

I think I'm just ready for Ultimate to be done and the "Celebration of gaming" to be finalized in a few hours, regardless of who it is tbh.
Perhaps that's the cause too. Back in the day, Smash felt a lot more regular, y'know? I didn't really think about it, but 2018 had a non-stop conga line of reveals during the leadup, 2019 had five characters released (Albeit with two revealed last year), and then 2020 had four... Except there was a massive gap that took up half of the year, not helped by the dearth of anything at that time. Now this year, we've had a grand total of three. With each consecutive year, the windows of release got longer and longer, and the hype train just didn't have as much fuel anymore.

Thank frick I had that beginner's energy when I joined during the lockdown desert. Almost miss the days where I would latch on to everything and spin theories with everyone else. Now I'm too drained to try and guess who it is or care about the theories about Sakurai's tweets.

Well, okay, there's still a small fragment of me latching on to some suggested theories and bandwagoning them. Most notably the LoL rep everyone dreads, jokingly or not - The game's got quite the reputation behind it. Which means I'm in for something if we get Crash or Master Chief, given the bet I've made over becoming an LoL player if we get those in the final two slots. The other voice in my head still clings to Adol on the basis that Japanese players would care more about Trails than Ys. And a third still holds out for Reimu, against all odds.

Those are still pretty quiet voices, though. For the most part I think I've just hit the burnout point, somewhere between Pyra and Kazuya. It'll be nice to have that rush of dopamine watching the reveal one last time, but yeah, I'm not nearly as pumped as I would've been a year ago.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know

there are a couple unsolved mysteries that I guess will remain unsolved

like what the hell were Devil’s Third, Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps doing in the code

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Welp here it is for everyone to re juggle their MW memory.

The Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II MW Character List

Octoling

Elma

Sora

Doomguy

Crash

Cinderace

Sgt Cortez

Master Chief

Chozo Dude

Neku

Frisk

Rayman

Dr. Eggman

Battletoads

Decidueye

Nahobino

Waluigi

Isaac

Phoenix Wright

Fulgore

Ezio

Tracer

Kratos

Gordon Freeman

King Boo

Scorpion

Reimu

Bill Rizer

Lu Bu

Off The Hook

Saber

Estelle Bright

Zero

Mega Man X

Ryu Hayabusa

Bandana Waddle Dee

Sol Badguy

Chun-Li

Impa

Jill Valentine

Leon Kennedy

Pauline

Arle

Mona

Monokuma

Asuka

Who asked for who? You know who ya are. If any of these characters make it my hat's off to you!

Some of these characters may even fit the last minute speculation discussed here today. And so with that I ask one final time if there are any characters not listed here please feel free to let me know and I will add them. You all have my gratitude for lifting this old man's spirits these last few months as Ultimate draws to a close. Thank you one and all.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I think the thing that sucks most about tomorrow, is basically all the other threads are gonna be shut down.

Like, it feels, really, really like a mistake to just funnel all those people into a single thread tbh.

I get the logic behind locking this thread, but those threads basically serve as a hub for likeminded folks that wanna discuss one particular subject more often than not.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Well it's late for me, just 14 hours remaining. Here's my last hurrah, I don't know who it's going to be but I've been on the Isaac train for over a decade and I'm not getting off now. I'm not expecting him out of nothing though. There are some conveniences that go in his favour, but also some inconveniences.

Pros
1) He's from a Nintendo franchise that's not represented in Smash with a fighter and stage (even music from the first game is absent). He is also the first main character of his series.
2) He has ballot demand and a surge of popularity pre-ultimate, that ended in a significant 'let down' at the trophy reveal.
3) He brings something new to the table. While a sword-mage isn't new to Smash, earth spells are still pretty much untouched. The hand also is quite unique to him.
4) He is made from a Japanese company, however a lot of his biggest supporters are from European and English speaking countries.

Cons
1) He's a god-damn assist trophy. And as much as recent additions have pointed to Base content not necessarily being locked-in (I'm thinking Spring Man and Rex being passed over for 'other reasons') they still haven't upgraded an assist yet. If Nintendo considers assists good enough representation, then they're all just screwed.
2) Golden Sun is still dormant. While there was a period of uncertainty over what Camelot was doing, turns out Mario Golf was just slow to release and we're going to have to wait a good 3 to 4 years for something like Golden Sun (I do think it has a future however).
3) JRPG characters are getting in left right and centre. It's not as bad as some people on Twitter make it out to be, but in terms of variety, I can understand if Nintendo want to capture more audience interest elsewhere. This is why Pythra hurt so bad.

So that's my final thoughts on it. Just gotta wait and see now. I honestly didn't think I'd still be hopeful right up to the last challenger pack, but here we are.
The fight for more Golden Sun will go on regardless of this reveal, and then Smash 6 will get announced eventually. So It'll never really stop until something gives.

Good luck for tomorrow!

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Octoling

Elma

Sora

Doomguy

Crash

Cinderace

Sgt Cortez

Master Chief

Chozo Dude

Neku

Frisk

Rayman

Dr. Eggman

Battletoads

Decidueye

Nahobino

Waluigi

Isaac

Phoenix Wright

Fulgore

Ezio

Tracer

Kratos

Gordon Freeman

King Boo

Scorpion

Reimu

Bill Rizer

Lu Bu

Off The Hook

Saber

Estelle Bright

Zero

Mega Man X

Hayabusa

Who asked for who? You know who ya are. If any of these characters make it my hat's off to you!

Some of these characters may even fit the last minute speculation discussed here today. And so with that I ask one final time if there are any characters not listed here please feel free to let me know and I will add them. You all have my gratitude for lifting this old man's spirits these last few months as Ultimate draws to a close. Thank you one and all.
The final character will be all of these characters stuck together by crazy glue.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144

Octoling

Elma

Sora

Doomguy

Crash

Cinderace

Sgt Cortez

Master Chief

Chozo Dude

Neku

Frisk

Rayman

Dr. Eggman

Battletoads

Decidueye

Nahobino

Waluigi

Isaac

Phoenix Wright

Fulgore

Ezio

Tracer

Kratos

Gordon Freeman

King Boo

Scorpion

Reimu

Bill Rizer

Lu Bu

Off The Hook

Saber

Estelle Bright

Zero

Mega Man X

Hayabusa

I asked for Zero. Well, his Zero series counterpart (the one with hibernation sickness and all), but you get what I mean.

1) He's a god-damn assist trophy. And as much as recent additions have pointed to Base content not necessarily being locked-in (I'm thinking Spring Man and Rex being passed over for 'other reasons') they still haven't upgraded an assist yet.
(coughs in Little Mac was upgraded from Assist to Fighter, and yes Little Mac was an Assist in Brawl, he was upgraded to Fighter in Smash 4)

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I’m curious; Say your MW gets revealed tomorrow, what is a song track you hope makes it on their music list?
I recently went back over my Quote doc and altered the list of songs a bit. Any thoughts? Are there too many or too few remixes? Should the original or Remastered soundtracks get more or less focus?

(bold = new remix, examples given)

Cave Story
Gestation
Mimiga Town
Balrog’s Theme / Gravity
Mischievous Robot
Eyes of Flame
Labyrinth Fight (Remastered)
Oppression
Moonsong
Last Cave (Remastered)
Balcony (Blade Strangers)
Zombeat (Kero Blaster)
Last Battle (Remastered)
Running Hell
Mischievous Robot and Last Battle are the ones I want the most, and the main theme would be pretty much guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom