• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I was initially all in on wanting an Ultimate Port, but I’m not so sure now.

The game has kinda run its course and while still a lot of fun, new consoles and waiting a while for the next Smash just to be hit with “heres the same thing as last time” might be kinda disappointing if some big changes aren’t introduced.

That and Ultimate sold gangbusters, I have a feeling the port won’t go down well with the casual audience because they’ve already played it.

But still, I also don’t want to see this colossus of a roster leave. I want to see “Smash Bros: The Top 100” or some other crazy amount of characters.

Nobody, not even Sakurai, knows how to top Ultimate. But they’re gonna have to, someday.
They can't top Ultimate. They'll either:
  • a) Do more of the same for the next Smash with massive cuts and people will buy it because it's Smash, or
  • b) Reboot the entire series and introduce significant changes to the gameplay and features (think air dashes, rollback, revamped movesets for veterans, etc.)
It'll probably be the former, but damn if the latter wouldn't be interesting.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm just curious, how would you guys feel about Bill Rizer being last? In terms of general reception and how excited you would be? I feel like he'd get a good response for being both a nostalgic pick for the older crowd and a breath of fresh air with him being a run and gun rep.
I'd be down for it. Contra's an NES classic, and even though legacy isn't a major selling point for me it feels heavily underrated in the speculative scene. It'd be a nice shout-out to the classic if they snuck in a Konami Code nod in there, too.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I went to go get the template but literally the third image result was close enough to our situation lol
Ah yes. The good 'ol "This game stinks!" tagline.

This made me remember other terrible taglines too like "Build and army! Trust no one! Fire Emblem!" (the add made it sound like your own army was going to kill itself. lol) and "Touching is good."

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I was initially all in on wanting an Ultimate Port, but I’m not so sure now.

The game has kinda run its course and while still a lot of fun, new consoles and waiting a while for the next Smash just to be hit with “heres the same thing as last time” might be kinda disappointing if some big changes aren’t introduced.

That and Ultimate sold gangbusters, I have a feeling the port won’t go down well with the casual audience because they’ve already played it.

But still, I also don’t want to see this colossus of a roster leave. I want to see “Smash Bros: The Top 100” or some other crazy amount of characters.

Nobody, not even Sakurai, knows how to top Ultimate. But they’re gonna have to, someday.
My suspicion has always been that the Switch 2 will be backwards compatible and might offer a few small bells and whistles when Ultimate's played on it, but that we will get a Smash successor of some sort. Basically if you prefer SSBU, that will be an option, but if you want something new, that will eventually exist as well.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I believe the number of ports the Switch has had is inextricably linked to the performance and fate of the Wii U, and given the Switch won't continue that pattern, you'll see more restraint in porting over basically the entire first party catalogue next time. And I think that includes Smash.
Heck they didn't even port the Wii U version.

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507
If the Advance Wars Remake fails, then I blame the fans. Everything from the trailers has looked incredible so far.

It's a miracle the franchise is back. Please don't waste it.
It's also Nintendo's fault, the game was barely advertise since E3, unlike Metroid Dread who had like 10 trailers, banners on streets around the world, NoA constantly posting about it on social media and revisiting the story of the franchise and now is likely gonna be the best selling Metroid game of all time. (Advance wars is a good series but isn't Mario/Zelda/Pokemon to sell with name alone or even FE/Kirby/Pikmin level)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Counterpoint; Sakurai did once consider porting brawl. I don’t remember where I found it, but he may be open to it again

I mean we still have MK8D and still no MK9. Not the best comparison but yeah

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So similar story with Chibi Robo
Yeah except at the end they were like "let's see if people still like Chibi-Robo by making a game that is nothing like Chibi-Robo" and then also made said game bad and then decided that people did not in fact, like Chibi-Robo.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
What are you talking about it’s gotta be King K. Rool :4pacman:
As someone who’s most wanted character in Smash 4 was King K. Rool, it’s been a huge relief knowing that he’s been my main for almost three years now. I was so enraged when the last Smash 4 Direct happened and he wasn’t announced, it’s been a pleasure not worrying about him throughout Smash Ultimate.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Counterpoint; Sakurai did once consider porting brawl. I don’t remember where I found it, but he may be open to it again

I dunno. The whole reason why Super Smash Bros. Brawl exists is because he didn't want Iwata to port Super Smash Bros. Melee and leave it at that.

Theguy123

Smash Lord

mario kart tour is Mario kart 9. Why do people choose to block the game out Their memories when Nintendo themselves made it and stated it’s an official entry in the series. It’s MK9

Ivander

Smash Legend
Since then, they've said that they "couldn't figure out how to implement romance" and that's part of the reason they haven't revived it. But that's kind of weird to me, because judging from the character designs they already gave us, it seems like it would be very simple for them lol.
It wasn't romance. It was just the Support system or a way for characters to interact with each other outside or during battles and whatnot. While Duel Strike did allow you to team up characters and combine CO Powers, you don't see a whole lot of interaction between different characters aside from the ones who are compatible with each other, which for the most part, is like, 2 characters. Not to mention they aren't exactly doing the fighting, it's the nameless troops that do. One of the things Fire Emblem is praised for is the interaction between it's characters, how they are their own individuals, how you can potentially lose them forever, etc. Whereas Advance Wars....well...

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
It's also Nintendo's fault, the game was barely advertise since E3, unlike Metroid Dread who had like 10 trailers, banners on streets around the world, NoA constantly posting about it on social media and revisiting the story of the franchise and now is likely gonna be the best selling Metroid game of all time. (Advance wars is a good series but isn't Mario/Zelda/Pokemon to sell with name alone or even FE/Kirby/Pikmin level)
I was pissed it wasn't in the last direct, it's like Nintendo wants it to fail, guess the cast of the Mario movie is more important (memes were worth it though).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
mario kart tour is Mario kart 9. Why do people choose to block the game out Their memories when Nintendo themselves made it and stated it’s an official entry in the series. It’s MK9
I refuse to acknowledge the thing that charges you $40 FOR DIDDY KONG as MK9

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
No one in their right mind thinks of Tour as Mario Kart 9.

Obviously that title belongs to Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's an official game sure, but I think it's different enough game to be considered a spin-off.

Does Mario kart arcade count towards the numbers because if Mario kart tour counts why wouldn’t that one
There's also that. I'd say Mario Kart Tour is just Mario Kart Tour.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I refuse to acknowledge the thing that charges you $40 FOR DIDDY KONG as MK9
unfortunatly you’re probably gonna have to even if you hate the game. Can’t stop someone’s opinion but Nintendo themselves made the game and have even come out and stated it’s MK9 so we can’t really ignore it.

Though it’s a bad move on them for charging £40 for a character.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Because I've been playing Mario Kart 8 for basically the last 7, almost 8 years and I want something new that I can play with friends instead of a mobile gacha game.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
unfortunatly you’re probably gonna have to even if you hate the game. Can’t stop someone’s opinion but Nintendo themselves made the game and have even come out and stated it’s MK9 so we can’t really ignore it.

Though it’s a bad move on them for charging £40 for a character.
Where did they say this tho? That's what I want to know, cos I ain't ever heard of this myself.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Y'know, it's funny. Despite how everyone's going haywire over the last moments of Smash, I'm... Not that excited. I dunno, maybe it's already run it's course for me. It's been three and a half years worth of speculation, be it casual or dedicated, and it's insane that this won't be a part of my life anymore, but it just doesn't feel that way. Maybe it's because I joined during the pandemic, during the point where it started winding down, and so the energy just left me during that time. Now that things are starting to open up again, I'm not constrained to the internet, and I'm starting to do other things beyond Discord and SmashBoards. Or maybe it's because I've limited myself to the specific couple characters I'm really invested in (Re: Adol and Reimu) and have accepted getting one of them is an extremely slim chance. Yeah, I need to play more games, to be honest...

That being said, as I play the main theme of SSBU through my headphones, I'd like to thank this game for really getting me into video games beyond my casual little circles. Starting with Ridley's bombastic first impression, I got into Metroid. After the Belmonts, I discovered Castlevania and by extension Bloodstained. Terry opened the doors to SNK's library. And the speculation introduced me into half of everything I'm into nowadays, most of all Ys, which was practically tailor-made for me. The one major game I found that wasn't through Smash was Touhou, which actually led me to SmashBoards rather than the other way around. I may have left the dedication of theorizing, essays, and challenger packs behind, but my days here will stick with me forever.

Heh, kinda generated a bit of that old spark again, with the music. It'll be bittersweet, hearing that fanfare alongside Sakurai for the last time. I'll miss that sound...

kylexv

Smash Master
I've always seen Mario Kart Tour as a ****ty gacha mobile game that has some really good ideas, namely the return of special items and alternate costumes for characters. It's those good ideas (and the fact that I can control my spending with these types of games) that's kept me playing.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I will say that the timing of this Direct really has its upside, because if even tomorrow features a fighter I'm not interested in or even outright dislike...

Super Monkey Ball and Metroid Dread are out this week, so there's plenty of fun experiences ahead to easily make up for whatever disappointment might happen.
Im right there with you. Super excited for both.

Shroob

Sup?
Y'know, it's funny. Despite how everyone's going haywire over the last moments of Smash, I'm... Not that excited.
Same tbh.

Like, I think dragging the DLC out over 2 years as opposed to 1 was, well, not the greatest idea. Don't get me wrong, I've loved the characters, but, man it felt slow, especially due to circumstances that they couldn't control, like COVID.

I think I'm just ready for Ultimate to be done and the "Celebration of gaming" to be finalized in a few hours, regardless of who it is tbh.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Yeah except at the end they were like "let's see if people still like Chibi-Robo by making a game that is nothing like Chibi-Robo" and then also made said game bad and then decided that people did not in fact, like Chibi-Robo.
To be completely fair to them, they were probably intentionally testing the appeal of the brand itself, as opposed to the gameplay of the original, especially because they were probably testing the waters as to whether it could be a franchise with developers other than Skip Ltd. attached. But the game they put out was uninspired as hell. If they wanted to take it into new, potentially more profitable directions, that's fair, but the specific choices they made were poor.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Days of Ruin was just a strange choice of direction in hindsight, it seems like they leaned TOO hard into the NA sales data and sacrificed any international appeal it might have had.
I just can't get over why companies think that changing a game to appeal to a market that is ALREADY the largest market for that game is at all a good idea. Clearly Americans were fine with the cartoony depiction of war, otherwise they wouldn't have bought the first three games in the numbers they did. It's kinda like Square Enix doing all their marketing for NEO TWEWY in Japan, their weakest market, instead of doubling down on the places where the original actually sold. Just a totally bizarre set of priorities that must only make sense in a company boardroom.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Same tbh.

Like, I think dragging the DLC out over 2 years as opposed to 1 was, well, not the greatest idea. Don't get me wrong, I've loved the characters, but, man it felt slow, especially due to circumstances that they couldn't control, like COVID.

I think I'm just ready for Ultimate to be done and the "Celebration of gaming" to be finalized in a few hours, regardless of who it is tbh.
Frankly, if there's any notes Nintendo could take from this would be to make more reasonable DLC seasons like other fighters. The schedules looked really bad when compared to SFV and FighterZ's respective second seasons, which delivered the same amonut of characters in less time.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Guys, it's the new guessing game! The fighter's going to be from Mario Kart Tour, which means it could be:
  1. Baby Mario
  2. Baby Peach
  3. Baby Daisy
  4. Baby Rosalina
  5. Baby Luigi
  6. Koopa Troopa
  7. Shy Guy
  8. Dry Bones
  9. Iggy
  10. Larry
  11. Lemmy
  12. Ludwig
  13. Morton
  14. Roy
  15. Wendy
  16. Mario
  17. Peach
  18. Yoshi
  19. Daisy
  20. Toad
  21. Toadette
  22. Rosalina
  23. Luigi
  24. Toad (Pit Crew)
  25. Red Yoshi
  26. Blue Yoshi
  27. Pink Yoshi
  28. Bowser
  29. Donkey Kong
  30. Diddy Kong
  31. Lakitu
  32. Bowser Jr.
  33. Wario
  34. Waluigi
  35. King Boo
  36. Black Shy Guy
  37. Red Koopa (Freerunning)
  38. Birdo
  39. Pink Shy Guy
  40. Birdo (Light Blue)
  41. Hammer Bro.
  42. Boomerang Bro.
  43. Ice Bro.
  44. Fire Bro.
  45. Birdo (Yellow)
  46. Monty Mole
  47. Green Shy Guy
  48. Blue Koopa (Freerunning)
  49. Birdo (Blue)
  50. Metal Mario
  51. Peachette
  52. Pauline
  53. Mario (Musician)
  54. Peach (Kimono)
  55. Mario (Hakama)
  56. Rosalina (Halloween)
  57. Peach (Vacation)
  58. Mario (Santa)
  59. Pink Gold Peach
  60. Daisy (Holiday Cheer)
  61. Yoshi (Reindeer)
  62. Pauline (Party Time)
  63. Mario (Happi)
  64. Toad (Party Time)
  65. Peach (Wintertime)
  66. Penguin Luigi
  67. Ice Mario
  68. Baby Peach (Cherub)
  69. Rosalina (Aurora)
  70. Mario (Classic)
  71. Luigi (Classic)
  72. Baby Rosalina (Detective)
  73. Yoshi (Egg Hunt)
  74. Black Yoshi
  75. Builder Mario
  76. Builder Toad
  77. Daisy (Fairy)
  78. Mario (Chef)
  79. Peach (Wedding)
  80. Rosalina (Swimwear)
  81. Mario (Swimwear)
  82. Captain Toad
  83. Toadette (Explorer)
  84. Daisy (Yukata)
  85. Mario (SNES)
  86. Mario (Sunshine)
  87. Mario (Halloween)
  88. Peach (Halloween)
  89. Peach (Explorer)
  90. Builder Luigi
  91. Fire Rosalina
  92. Luigi (Lederhosen)
  93. Cat Peach
  94. Cat Toad
  95. Pauline (Rose)
  96. Penguin Toad
  97. Mario (Racing)
  98. White Yoshi
  99. Baby Mario (Koala)
  100. Builder Toadette
  101. OH MY GAH IT DOES NOT STOP!!!
  102. Mario (Tuxedo)
  103. Luigi (Painter)
  104. Daisy (Swimwear)
  105. Mario (Baseball)
  106. Peach (Happi)
  107. Penguin Mario
  108. Yoshi (Kangaroo)
  109. Dry Bowser
  110. King Boo (Luigi's Mansion)
  111. Shy Guy (Pastry Chef)
  112. Waluigi (Bus Driver)
  113. Gold Koopa (Freerunning)
  114. Wario (Hiker)
  115. Dry Bones (Gold)
  116. Funky Kong
  117. Dixie Kong
  118. Dry Bowser (Gold)
  119. Wario (Cowboy)
  120. Nabbit
  121. Bowser Jr. (Pirate)
  122. King Bob-omb
  123. Donkey Kong Jr. (SNES)
  124. Shy Guy (Gold)
  125. King Boo (Gold)
  126. Bowser (Santa)
  127. Lakitu (Party Time)
  128. Birdo (Black)
  129. Shy Guy (Ninja)
  130. King Bob-omb (Gold)
  131. Kamek

If you read that entire list, I salute you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom