• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
Worth noting that if the tweet even indicates anything (which I personally don't really think it does), then it doesn't have to mean that the character is Western-developed. It could just as well be a Japanese character whose support is larger in the West than in Japan, and whose inclusion would cater more to our part of the world than anywhere else. Like Waluigi, for example.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I need a break from the Sakurai's hype train.

I know Kazuya retrospective.

So I'm a big fan of Tekken. My signature has Jin listed as a most wanted character. So Kazuya was absolutely a pleasant surprise and in hindsight was the best pick. He has a true Mishima fighting style that is emblamatic to Tekken, He has his Devil powers that help him fit into Smash Bros, and he's also a villain protagonist something we've never had before. Kazuya is also dangerously close to being my new favorite character in the game. Ridley was my main for the past 3 years in terms of total battles played and highest GSP in Elite Smash. Kazuya in 3 months, has gotten dangerously close to where Ridley currently stands.

Kazuya's moveset is a great adaptation of Tekken gameplay. Between diagonal tilts, multi hit strings, crouching and rising tilts. Kazuya then uses all of these to chain together some of the coolest combos in the game. And while it is overwhelming to look at his moveset, that's how it can be in Tekken too. So instead, you focus on what you do understand and that encourages further experimentation once you understand your current skill set better. And what this creates is a character that is fun to experiment with, a character that you can just go into training mode with and have a good time discovering the sauciest of strings. And make no mistake this character has sauce, Level 9 CPU showed everyone this.

The Mishima Dojo is a great stage, but it feels a little been there done that with the KoF Stadium. I'm not complaining, KoF Stadium was the best DLC stage so I welcome the reskin.

Tekken's OST selection has me happy for the most part but also dissapointed. No Fiji or Hon Maru themes. But they included Keiichi Okabe's magnum opus and a remix to the Electric Fountain. I'm also kinda pissed how they screwed the loop of some of the good but short songs like the opening to Tekken Tag Tournament and Heat Haze Shadow. Heat Haze Shadow in particular has me very upset, because it ignores the second part and it ends the second it fully kicks in. But we got more than 30 songs so I'll be fine. Also the remix of Kazuya's theme is one of the best remixes in the game in terms of improving on the original song.

So all in all, yeah Kazuya is my favorite Challenger pack of Season 2. I feel bad for whoever gets revealed tomorow, cause there's very little chance that they're going to be better than what Kazuya offered.

Last edited:

Moonfire

Smash Rookie
Finally caught up on what happened the last few hours. As much as I'd like to be wrong I'm still going with my months-long gut feeling of Chief being the final character, but if I could allow myself a shred of optimism one last time:

I would love if Sakurai's tweet referred to - in part - the impact id Software's games had on gaming history. If an FPS rep like Chief is to be the final pick, I think it'd be great if he went over that genre's intertwined lineage, which goes all the way back to id. From pioneering the FPS genre as we know it today, with everything DOOM wrought (its influence and many clones, being the origins of Deathmatch, its still-active modding scene) and the revolution that was Quake (establishing many of modern-day's multiplayer elements, its engine that went on to be used in many other games, its own modding scene that spawned beloved titles like Team Fortress, the origins of machinima).

If Doomguy is somehow the final character (despite Marty's deconfirmation) or another id character (Commander Keen, BJ, Ranger?) then Sakurai could even talk about how id started off approaching Nintendo all those years ago with offering to port Mario to the PC. A real "full circle" sort of thing that few - if any - companies currently not repped in Smash can make claim to. The history with id is insane, and I'd love for it to get that sort of recognition.

To me when viewing the landscape of gaming history, they're one of the biggest pieces missing. A "celebration of gaming" isn't complete without them. (The same can be said for many currently-unrepresented Series of course, which is an unfortunate inevitability given limited development time.)

But yeah whoever it is I'm sure it'll make a ton of people happy, and that's what matters most.

I don't have much to say about Kazuya, he's a great pick (and one I was expecting for this pass) but I don't personally have any ties to Tekken so I'm just glad that series got a rep. Regarding today's poll, that Terry presentation was so great to watch. Sakurai's enthusiasm was practically pouring from the screen. It was awesome to see him gush about a series that clearly meant so much to him.

D

Deleted member

What's absolutely hilarious is that Yodeling in Meadow Hill actually got the plays Environmental Noises on Final Destination meme come true since people actually play it on that stage and it doesn't fit at all and it's glorious.
You mean playing Hanenbow on FD didn't already accomplish that meme?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Kazuya is my favorite DLC fighter and it isn't even close. I have my doubts FP11 - even if I really like them - will manage to top him. He's the first DLC (so far and likely period) that really just plays like my kind of fighter. He's everything I could have wanted, especially as somebody who quite likes Tekken.

I love his moveset and gimmicks, and I really like how freeform he feels. The way you'll just stumble into one hell of a combo, haha. I think they did a great job balancing him - had they handled this differently he could have easily ended up like Little Mac. But instead we have a slow and grounded character with all the tools he needs to make you scared, and that's beautiful.

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to Sakurai Presents Hero's and Sephiroth's were the ones I was looking forward to the most. But as for the presentations I actually enjoyed the most that'd have to go to Terry and Kazuya. Idk there's just something comfy about Sakurai explaining Fighting game terms to an audience not typically familiar with it. It's like a friend showing you a hobby you have no interest in but their explanation is so passionate and endearing you have no choice but to be captivated.

Sad that Joker never got a proper Sakurai presents but his second trailer and short character showcase with editing and visual effects is something unique only to him so I'll gladly accept that. Plus we got this meme out of it so I can't really complain

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I think Europe might have just give us the big hint of the final fighter. The Final Battle. Same name as this cutscene in Ultimate
I think I know who it is. Time to finish this fight.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm not expecting a "big name" character to be revealed in something as small as a Sakurai Presents.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Ah, I see some Kazuya discussion.

The guy is 1000% one of my favorite additions to this game. I love the Tekken series and Kazuya is honestly my favorite to play out of the Mishima's (outside of, like, Tekken 3 Jin I guess lol). The return of the Heihachi Mii Costume pretty much dashed my hopes for any kind of substantial Tekken representation just going by past trends, but I had accepted it and moved on.

That's what made the Kazuya reveal all the more special for me; not only did another "rule" get broken, but I actually got the character I prefer to play, he's coming with some dope music (even though I feel there are some... glaring omissions lol) and he's bringing a bunch of crazy Tekken mechanics to the game? And then when he actually came out, he felt really natural to play and is just super fun in general? Yeah, needless to say I was pretty happy.

I don't know if this last character ends up being one of my most wanted, but at the very least I can say that, alongside Terry and Sephiroth, Kazuya definitely brought the hype for me.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So now that we've gone over all of the DLC characters, here are my TL;DR rankings:

S.
  • Steve (A really fun change of pace)
A.
  • Piranha Plant and Byleth (The oddball I will always enjoy and the disagreeable premise with great execution)
  • Sephiroth (One heck of an enterance that never stopped being cool afterward)
  • Kazuya (Not what I wanted but I can't complain; Playing as a truck is fun)
  • Terry (The easiest pick-up-and play fighting game character)
B.
  • Min Min (Not my pick, but a fun addition nonetheless)
  • Banjo & Kazooie (Good. A little strange, but good)
  • Joker (Doesn't really stand out, but is good nonetheless)
C.
  • Pyra/Mythra (Terrible representitives of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, great gameplay)
  • Hero (Good idea with a clunky execution. You'll get 'em next time Hero)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I swear to God every single tiny thing that happens is a hint towards Master Chief and Doomguy for y'all
Either of these characters can happen tomorrow, but you are right, nothing is actually indicating one way or another that they are likely to be revealed tomorrow from an objective point of view.

D

Deleted member

God, it’s so punny, and Sakurai does love a pun. “Master Chief Finishes The Fight”. It works too perfectly and I hate it.
This would work if it weren't for the fact that the Japanese reveals are always "joins the fight/joins the battle". They could always change it up, of course.

I think Europe might have just give us the big hint of the final fighter. The Final Battle. Same name as this cutscene in Ultimate
I think I know who it is. Time to finish this fight.
One has to wonder about World of Light at this point. It has one ending in the base game but it has been featured in DLC trailers a few times now. Sephiroth pretty brutally ended Galeem and now we just have Dharkon to worry about.

If they actually bother finishing that plotline, the character is either some kind of ultimate good, or a bad guy beyond Dharkon, and by extension, beyond Sephiroth.

People keep saying this, but he was revealed before the Mr. Sakurai Presents. Byleth and technically Min Min are the only characters to have been revealed during one.
I mean, Terry was revealed during someone else's Sakurai Presents, so that counts for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom