• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Updated for the final poll, assuming the Direct doesn't have enough to pull from for a meme poll. Anyway, favorite Mr. Sakurai Presents.

Terry is kind of obvious, but there are some other fun ones. Telling people to play Xbox, showing off his figure collection, his luncheon with Vegeta, etc.

I don't remember anything from the Hero presentation, so I honestly might binge them one last time when I get off of work tonight. They're still fun to re-watch to this day, especially when listening to Maximilian's commentary during Terry & Sephiroth. lol

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
You know, many people are taking the disparity between these tweets for the Japanese and the English to mean that CP11 will be a western oriented character, but I'm not so sure about that. I think it's also very possible that the final character could also simply be more obscure in general, and Nintendo and Sakurai may want to make this character and series more well known.

"But then why not put out a matching tweet in English?" you may ask. Well, why not stop and think for a moment about how a tweet like that would go over with the Western side of twitter? You know by now the sort of petri dish of rabid lunacy Western twitter is. They're not going to include that line in the English parallel regardless of whether the character is less popular in Japan or just less popular in general. Lest we forget Harada's now infamous tweet about those numerous XForSmash twitter accounts.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
You know, many people are taking the disparity between these tweets for the Japanese and the English to mean that CP11 will be a western oriented character, but I'm not so sure about that. I think it's also very possible that the final character could also simply be more obscure in general, and Nintendo and Sakurai may want to make this character and series more well known.

"But then why not put out a matching tweet in English?" you may ask. Well, why not stop and think for a moment about how a tweet like that would go over with the Western side of twitter? You know by now the sort of petri dish of rabid lunacy Western twitter is. They're not going to include that line in the English parallel regardless of whether the character is less popular in Japan or just less popular in general. Lest we forget Harada's now infamous tweet about those numerous XForSmash twitter accounts.
If anything, they would've posted an English tweet first and foremost due to how rabid the Western fanbase is to lower their expectations. Assuming the character is truly obscure and they wanted to let their audience reel in their expectations, it would make no sense to not make an English tweet as well. Especially since Sakurai has been recently posting both Japanese and English tweets at the same time.

Shroob

Sup?

Nah, this is odd.

Like, look at Byleth's presentation, which is more or less 1:1 with the tweets. The fact that ONLY Japan got the tweets is weird, like, as said before, we over here tend to get more or less 1:1 versions of the tweets as well, and this time, we didn't.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If anything, they would've posted an English tweet first and foremost due to how rabid the Western fanbase is to lower their expectations. Assuming the character is truly obscure and they wanted to let their audience reel in their expectations, it would make no sense to not make an English tweet as well. Especially since Sakurai has been recently posting both Japanese and English tweets at the same time.
tbf when dealing with a rabid Western Smash fanbase, asking them to temper their expectations you might as well tell them to not bother tuning in on the stream since the final character is going to be another Fire Emblem/Pokemon ad character anyway...

Pretty much when they first announced that the DLC was decided by Nintendo (Which was also one of the few tweets that got translated) and everyone assumed that the entire thing was going to be nothing but corporate shill picks until Joker was revealed.

but eh, only a day or so remains, so I guess we'll see what happens..

Last edited:

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
Nah, this is odd.

Like, look at Byleth's presentation, which is more or less 1:1 with the tweets. The fact that ONLY Japan got the tweets is weird, like, as said before, we over here tend to get more or less 1:1 versions of the tweets as well, and this time, we didn't.
Perhaps, but Harada's tweet gives me pause:

The way he puts a sassy emphasis on 'last celebration', if he's not simply trolling, then he seems to be implying that he's well aware that this inclusion on the Smash roster is going to make Sakurai infamous. And it's not the Japanese side of twitter that gets worked up in the way Harada seems to imply some people would.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Not sure if this post was already mentioned
Google Translation:
After a lot of activities, I'm here now #スマブラSP !! The program that decorates the last is finally released tomorrow! Please watch the final fighter participation announcement in real time! Enjoy the moment of the finale, a festival in the game industry.

Last edited:

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps, but Harada's tweet gives me pause:

The way he puts a sassy emphasis on 'last celebration', if he's not simply trolling, then he seems to be implying that he's well aware that this inclusion on the Smash roster is going to make Sakurai infamous. And it's not the Japanese side of twitter that gets worked up in the way Harada seems to imply some people would.
Sorry, it’s late. Genuine question: What are you implying?

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Omg, Lara actually has a chance now, omg. I don't know how I'd react if I actually got a character I wanted. I don't know what that would feel like.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Since I don't think it's likely as a fighter I have my fingers crossed for a Hollow Knight costume with music. Hopefully either Vs. Hornet or Vs. the Mantis Lords

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, it’s late. Genuine question: What are you implying?
I'm implying that this may very well be the final character. Most speculators either write this character off or don't even have them on their radar for any number of reasons, though I'm not convinced it's impossible. And it still fits within the state of speculation at the moment.

Fair warning, the post is a lengthy read.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
God mother██ing damn my sleep schedule, I clocked out like 10 minutes before all the fun ██.

If we’re talking an iconic character from the west who is recognizable to Gamers at large instead of just Nintendo fans. Well, let’s just say we won’t be the only ones waking up on Tuesday.

Rise and Shine, Mr. Freeman.
B1FE18FA-82C8-4708-8013-E02FDCCA9602.jpeg

PacificFun

Smash Ace
I'm implying that this may very well be the final character. Most speculators either write this character off or don't even have them on their radar for any number of reasons, though I'm not convinced it's impossible. And it still fits within the state of speculation at the moment.

Fair warning, the post is a lengthy read.
Bro, no.

Like, I actually really like that series. But there's no godamn way they're putting THEM as the final DLC. A mii costume maaaaybbbe. I just can't see Nintendo wanting to heavily promote that series in a game like Smash.

If that actually happened, I would legit freak out.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I hate to say it, but now that I looked in the context of the Tweets, I have a thought

If Sakurai only told Japanese Audience they might not know who the character, but didn't do the same for Western fans, then I can see the idea people have brought up that this is a Western Focused character

But he also told people in the West perhaps not really into Smash, but perhaps still into Gaming to watch it anyway, Like they would know the character

If the game/Series the Character is from is more niche in Japan, but is something people are gonna know elsewhere, I got a some guesses

-If the Character is from Western Company, there's good amount that could technically fit. Rayman, League of Legends character, Mortal Kombat character (Scorpion), Even Crash and Master Chief as while they did have success in Japan in the Past (Especially Crash), not the same now

-If it's a Character from a Japanesse Company, There's one main guess I have. Another Sonic Character. Sonic has always been way more niche in Japan than in other Places. Besides the Classic Era, The Last time Sonic games were really successful there was SA1 and SA2. I believe 06 and Unleashed might have sold decently there, but starting with Colors Sonic is not Mainstream like that

I'm telling you guys, I might be winning here. Let's get it
Dude I'm getting antsy here. The bullets tweet making me think it's a gunner character, October 5th presentation being 4 days away from TimeSplitters 2's 19th anniversary, the point you made that the Japanese audience might not know who it is and didn't do the same for western fans, TimeSplitters getting revived during Super Smash Bros Ultimate and fighter pass 1.

My heart can't take it! Like everything is lining up for Cortez! I can't do this man!

... But I can do this...

Time to Split!

I'm ready to go compressed.gif

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Bro, no.

Like, I actually really like that series. But there's no godamn way they're putting THEM as the final DLC. A mii costume maaaaybbbe. I just can't see Nintendo wanting to heavily promote that series in a game like Smash.

If that actually happened, I would legit freak out.
Hello, resident vocal fanboi of that franchise here. All I can say is this;

I made a few things for them a long time ago, BTW. I'd be happy to share tomorrow if you wanna see!

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm curious as to why Sakurai left out the part about not wanting/expecting the character for the translated version of his tweets.

This feels extremely intentional given the Western fans SHOULD be the ones to get any warnings, as seen by Nintendo always reminding Western fans that presentations only have one character in them.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I'm curious as to why Sakurai left out the part about not wanting/expecting the character for the translated version of his tweets.

This feels extremely intentional given the Western fans SHOULD be the ones to get any warnings, as seen by Nintendo always reminding Western fans that presentations only have one reveal.
Maybe because he's anticipating the Japanese audience to be the ones to go "Who is this?!" this time around.

Or he could be trolling (but not likely imo)

It must be a character that the west will explode over (or some of us), while the Japanese will be ??? or meh.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Maybe because he's anticipating the Japanese audience to be the ones to go "Who is this?!" this time around.

Or he could be trolling (but not likely imo)

It must be a character that the west will explode over (or some of us), while the Japanese will be ??? or meh.
That's what I'm thinking, but it doesn't really help at figuring out who the character could be.

With that said, I'm pretty sure this rules out the Sora 4chan leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom