• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Wow, Steve day couldn't have been timed better lol.

Steve is a character I wasn't necessarily hyped for, but one that I find both hilarious and impressive from a development standpoint. My friend group was very polarized about Steve -- he was my college roommate's most wanted character, but also the least wanted character for some of my other friends. I played Minecraft in middle school and a bit of high school, and I have fond memories of the game, so I think his inclusion was pretty neat.

His animations and moveset are hilarious, if incredibly complicated. I'm glad they kept the model and animations the same when bringing it over -- part of the charm of Minecraft is the blocky aesthetic, so making a high-def version of the model for Smash would've been super weird. If it weren't for the inventory mechanic, I'd probably play him more. His normals and specials are fun to use, I just don't like having to manage materials in the middle of a match. Fighting against him can get frustrating if the player knows his combo routes -- he can get a lot off of a stray up tilt or f tilt.

Minecraft World is one of my favorite DLC stages. The layout is simple enough, but the biomes and block-breaking mechanics (when hazards are on) provide some variety. Even though the music selection is on the smaller end and not from the main game, there are a lot of great songs, with Halland/Dalarna and Glide being some of my favorites. (Being a percussionist and marimba player in particular, I have a bit of a bias for Glide lol)

The thing I appreciate most about Steve is probably the amount of development effort it took to get him implemented. Going back through each stage and assigning material values, as well as making sure everything's compatible with placing blocks and the crafting table. I remember there being a handful of glitches in regard to that when Steve was first released, but still, it's an impressive feat that they managed to implement it.

Overall, while I wasn't actively hyped for Steve and I don't really play him, he's a character I can laugh about and appreciate for multiple reasons.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
The only way dread can haunt us is if we put a lot of thought into the last challenger. Which can put one's mind into madness if you dive too deep.

Moonfire

Smash Rookie
Steve:
I didn't grow up with Minecraft or anything but its success and impact are undeniable, so I've always been fine with Steve's inevitable inclusion. I haven't played him enough to really get used to the moveset but the effort the team put in to recreating so many key elements of Minecraft is extremely commendable.

My only gripe aside from the music (which as others have said feels lacking) is his fighter art. I understand and accept that it's meant to mirror the disinterested/aloof personality portrayed in-game, but the silhouette/pose is just so boring. I fully expected a mid-jump pose holding a pickaxe or something. Not a huge deal of course, but it does irk me a bit every time I see it.

One of the most interesting things about the old Banjo vs. Steve debates from 2018-2019 was that in a lot of ways, it was a microsm of the debates within the Smash community on what celebration mattered more for Smash: Nintendo History (Banjo-Kazooie) or Gaming History (Minecraft)?
That debate has always been weird to me, because looking at the characters that are in Smash it's clear that both matter probably in equal measure (in my opinion). Which seems to be further cemented now that both Banjo and Steve are in the game.
And as someone whose MW (Doomguy) has both in spades, I'm forever sad Nintendo / the Smash team apparently want nothing to do with him... :drsad:

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
Nice of us to talk Steve on the one year anniversary of his introduction to Smash (also how the heck has it been a year already???)

Anyways, I never was really a vocal advocate for Steve, despite growing up with Minecraft, and his inclusion would leave me indifferent. That said, I was super happy when he was revealed, as it really did feel like a trip down memory lane with all those references to the past (even though I didn't know some things like Alex or the Elytra). Overall he's on the more favorable end of the DLC for me: I love the stage, I love his moveset (even if it's beyond complicated). The only thing that really hurts is the lack of C418, which in my opinion was one of the pillars that made Minecraft, well, Minecraft.

He isn't my favorite of the second pass, but he's still an absolutely great addition and I commend Sakurai and the dev team for accomplishing the task of making Steve faithful to Minecraft's core values in Smash.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Also have any leaks or hints surfaced or are we still on the (most likely intentionally fabricated) Sora “leak” and the mystery leak mentioned by the MC thread that nobody else still knows a freakin thing about?
One thing is for sure. Things will be very awkward if Sora doesnt turn out to be the last character especially considering how much coverage that leak has gotten.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Find it crazy the day we're discussing Steve just so happens to land on the 1 year anniversary of his reveal

Anywho, Steve was one of my most wanted characters period, probably my most wanted third party. Can't quite use him as much I wish I could, but I'm more than happy he's here.

As for pass 2 stages, I think my fav is Mishima Dojo. Love the wall mechanic, which feels a bit like KOF Stadium to me.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
One thing is for sure. Things will be very awkward if Sora doesnt turn out to be the last character especially considering how much coverage that leak has gotten.
That and the reaction could end up like this if Sora isn't the Final character and possibly becomes a Mii Costume instead.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I took a break from playing Melty Blood Type Lumina just to come here and say Steve has been my favorite inclusion in Ultimate. Love his moveset, the music remixes, the janky classic artstyle, and how bull**** he is to play. Can't believe it's been a whole year since he joined Smash, time sure does fly.

Now back to labbing Saber I go.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Sora Mii Costume is one of those things that's actually too good to happen. His fans will end up being spared that agony.
Some fans will still be not happy for the first week or two. Hey, it doesn't stop that the general fanbase will be released. Just like the other characters that became a Mii Costume. They may have another chance in another Smash Bros game. The costume appearence shows that Sakurai acknowledged the character's requests.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sora Mii Costume is one of those things that's actually too good to happen. His fans will end up being spared that agony.
Geez dude who pissed in your cereal to have you wishing Sora fans literal agony?

Is this how I look when I'm petty? It really isn't a good look huh?

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Yea. It's not just the fighter, but who will be as mii costumes as consolation prizes. It'll be better than nothing, or being a spirit.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Isn't his whole arc (and technically Terra's too) about conquering the darkness inside him with help from his friends?
Riku says "these dark powers are lit bruh". I cant get him to stop.

jrpg friendship light darkness
those are some themes, but kinda watered down the whole thing
though nothing said could ever capture the MASSIVE GARGANTEUN experience that IS kingdom hearts.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I will say there's one Nintendo character I'm hoping it's not and that's the Chorus Kids.

I may be bad at Rhythm Heaven but I like the series charm. But those three... It's like one off those intentionally off-putting WarioWare levels that's around for a whole song and I don't think they're a good representation of the series outside of being allegedly singers. Now that I've said that, watch it be them and not the 25+ characters I listed yesterday.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
My only MW who didn't get acknowledged by Soccer Guy in any way is Phoenix who's bound to get Mii'd on Tuesday :4pacman:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Play some Kingdom Hearts! You'll 100% enjoy the game and become a fan and definitely want Sora in Smash Bros instead of not wanting him in Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Geez dude who pissed in your cereal to have you wishing Sora fans literal agony?

Is this how I look when I'm petty? It really isn't a good look huh?
Petty might as well be my middle name. To be fair, most people treat Mii costumes like this:
Yea. It's not just the fighter, but who will be as mii costumes as consolation prizes. It'll be better than nothing, or being a spirit.
and not like me, who sees them as an insult. It would probably make most people happy, even if Mii Swordfighter is the worst compared to the other two.

Play some Kingdom Hearts! You'll 100% enjoy the game and become a fan and definitely want Sora in Smash Bros instead of not wanting him in Smash Bros.
This feels like a joke.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The Kingdom Hearts games that I played was 365/2, and Recoded

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What about it is a joke? I'm just saying you should play Kingdom hearts and you'll definitely want Sora in Smash. Doesn't have to be a joke.
It just has this sarcastic air to it. I played Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2, years ago. Maybe even a decade, now? Definitely at least that. I put a lot of words into a post of mine saying the game is fun enough and the first one holds up but I want it nowhere near Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom