• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not that I really care either way, but I think Waluigi would be a good character to save for the reveal of the next Smash game, similarly to how Inklings were saved for the reveal of this game. Just feels like he's one of the last "obvious" first-party characters that can come close to the levels of Ridley and K. Rool.

Then again, maybe adding him now would be worth it for the sole purpose of shooting the AT rule in the head once and for all.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I dunno, his posts never quite give off the malicious aura that other trolls here do and he genuinely seems to be a pretty chill person so I don't know if he's really a troll
The dude's gladly admitted it before and I have experience with trolls acting all innocent after they go out of their way to ruffle feathers

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Min Min was a pretty solid choice in the grand scheme.

I wasn't really an ARMS fan but the guessing game for the fighter did an effective job of keeping the fandom somewhat occupied during the early days of the pandemic and absorbed a lot of the potential blowback that including such a character might have gotten if they'd just shown her off then. She made a pretty decent rep for her home series overall, and while I would have preferred one of the wackier selections just for the sheer visual novelty, she's still distinct enough that she doesn't feel generic. Having one of the better trailers, complete with a stunning animation style, certainly helped.

As far as her as a fighter? I tempted to laugh a bit because as someone who doesn't play online and has only faced off against her a number fo times, I suspect my play style is probably the ones that fans find most annoying. At the very least, though, having a stretchy arms fighter like her felt overdue, and she's an effective compliment to the Belmonts in some respects, whom I also enjoy playing as. She's probably the most middle of the road DLC character for me, not quite as satisfying as Banjo or Byleth, but more frequently selected than the likes of Joker or Hero.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I mean to be honest, I don't think this site has any long term Trolls like you'd see on something like Smashfaqs

I just don't think the structure of the site fits trolls having any sort of Longevity. Usually people trying to stir the pot purposely like that either leave very quickly, or get warned or banned in some way

Really, I think what we have on this site that some would consider trolling are just very hard clash of Personalities, Agendas, Goals, and Minds. There are people here that are very Fanatical about their positions, and they might push it to a point that some would consider trolling, but I doubt that's the main goal at the end of the day. I think they just like to give their honest thoughts and love sharing it

There may be times where users will perhaps troll once and awhile purposely, but I never think that would be the Baseline of their character on this site on a usual basis. It's like those times your Friend might prank you in some way sometimes. It's not the basis of their character.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
She made a pretty decent rep for her home series overall, and while I would have preferred one of the wackier selections just for the sheer visual novelty, she's still distinct enough that she doesn't feel generic.
Maybe it's just because I wanted her more than most of the others besides Twintelle, but I thought for sure that if Sakurai had the choice, he would pick her. Her arms and aesthetic were more unique than Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, but less out there than Master Mummy, Helix, etc. Ninjara and Twintelle fell into the same general spot, but Min Min just had this strange air of significance around her since the start, idk why.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
My guesses are either a new first-party character people are going to be angry at because they think it's not a fitting conclusion or a new series from a returning third party that people are going to be angry at because they think it's not a fitting conclusion.
What the heck would even constitute a “fitting ending” to Smash Ultimate?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Don’t say it
Don’t say it
Don’t say it

…Phrasing! BOOM!

In all seriousness, no. That’s not to say CP11 won’t be hype in their own right though

If the character themselves isn’t hype maybe their trailer will be
I don't think that's phrasing as much as it is having a dirty mind lol. Although if anyone prefers top Sephiroth, he wears a jacket thing for like 4 of his skins.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't think that's phrasing as much as it is having a dirty mind lol. Although if anyone prefers top Sephiroth, he wears a jacket thing for like 4 of his skins.
I guess you haven’t watched Archer then?

if not, def watch it

of course just letting you know there’s all kinds of innuendo and… “situations” but yeah that’s where PHRASING comes from
View attachment 332233

We don't want a repeat of yesterday.
s-sorry uwu;;

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
What the heck would even constitute a “fitting ending” to Smash Ultimate?
I can tell you with the utmost confidence that there is NO definitive answer to that one.

Personally I think Kazuya would have been (and was probably intended to be) a great finish. Bandai Namco got its 2nd character at last, we cleaned up another of the missed Smash 4 Sakurai desires, rounded out the three Japanese fighting game titans, and it was the kind of pick that wasn't hugely requested but sat well with most people anyway. This last one is probably their definition of a "bonus", the specifics of which we'll learn in a few days.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I guess you haven’t watched Archer then?

if not, def watch it

of course just letting you know there’s all kinds of innuendo and… “situations” but yeah that’s where PHRASING comes from

s-sorry uwu;;
Not to get too off-topic but its done by the same guys who did Bob's Burgers IIRC. I've seen clips of it although not much beyond that. Ik it's like a catchphrase although never really looked at the context. Have to catch it at some poiny Still, I guess I don't wanna be banned for discussing TV shows in the spec thread.

Just wanted to get everyone's opinions on this, but do you guys prefer the characters from base game or DLC? As in playstyle? I have completely dropped the ball on all of the base game characters and their presentation and the way they control feels so weird to me going back to them. I'm just way more accustomed to the more gimmicky characters through the DLC, and yes, that includes "Everyone hates me cos I'm not able to switch between eggs and have a load of other bells and whistles" Banjo. I doubt it's a direct correlation since some characters from as way back as Brawl are more gimmicky than the simplest DLC character from Ultimate but it's definitely an interesting case study. It's quite literally reliability vs versatility. All of Ultimate's DLC newcomers are more well rounded whilst still being applicable to a certain playstyle whilst all the base game characters are usually meant to be played in a rather specific way, except from Mr all rounder Mario and a few others. The DLC have ways to circumvent free access to these tools as a way to counterbalance it, whilst the base game characters have access to these tools anyway due to their playstyles being based on reliability.

Dragged on a bit there but TL:DR do you guys prefer base Ultimate characters or DLC in regards to playstyle? Simplicity or gimmicky?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not to get too off-topic but its done by the same guys who did Bob's Burgers IIRC. I've seen clips of it although not much beyond that. Ik it's like a catchphrase although never really looked at the context. Have to catch it at some poiny Still, I guess I don't wanna be banned for discussing TV shows in the spec thread.

Just wanted to get everyone's opinions on this, but do you guys prefer the characters from base game or DLC? As in playstyle? I have completely dropped the ball on all of the base game characters and their presentation and the way they control feels so weird to me going back to them. I'm just way more accustomed to the more gimmicky characters through the DLC, and yes, that includes "Everyone hates me cos I'm not able to switch between eggs and have a load of other bells and whistles" Banjo. I doubt it's a direct correlation since some characters from as way back as Brawl are more gimmicky than the simplest DLC character from Ultimate but it's definitely an interesting case study. It's quite literally reliability vs versatility. All of Ultimate's DLC newcomers are more well rounded whilst still being applicable to a certain playstyle whilst all the base game characters are usually meant to be played in a rather specific way, except from Mr all rounder Mario and a few others. The DLC have ways to circumvent free access to these tools as a way to counterbalance it, whilst the base game characters have access to these tools anyway due to their playstyles being based on reliability.

Dragged on a bit there but TL:DR do you guys prefer base Ultimate characters or DLC in regards to DLC? Simplicity or gimmicky?
Both have their own merits, I don’t really have a preference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom