• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Oh no I don’t wanna miss Min Min day!

I’m really happy she’s in the game! I’m one of the few people who likes pretty much everything about her. I like ARMS from the music, to the characters, to the gameplay, everything. I was really hoping that it would make its way to Smash and I honestly think that they nailed it with Min Min. I know some people are sick of gimmcky characters like this, but I genuinely love the way her moveset embodies the gameplay of ARMS. It’s such an unorthodox fighting game. Having her basically ditch special moves in favor of being able to control both ARMS was a bold decision that really paid off in my opinion. It sets her apart in a really interesting way. I know that her moveset can be polarizing, but I’ve had pretty fun experiences playing her. She has really great strengths and weaknesses, which might be annoying to some, but I appreciate how unique she is to play as/against. She isn’t my favorite character in Smash, but I still use her a lot because she offers such a unique gameplay experience that you don’t get with any other character.

Also, I am so glad we got her instead of Spring Man. I am firmly of the belief that being the “main character” in a fighting game doesn’t mean anything. If you’re gonna add a fighting game character to Smash, then they should either be the most popular character, or the one with the most interesting moveset. Liu Kang is undoubtedly the main character in MK, yet Scorpion or Sub-Zero would certainly be the best choices for Smash. There was a tournament that literally proved that Min Min was the most popular ARMS character, which definitively makes her the best choice for Ultimate in my opinion.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
It's easier to admit the truth and just say you'd rather not have Sora over someone else you'd rather want in first. :239: Better than having outright stupid logic.
No. You don't get it. You have to have a written paper explaining why a character can't or will get in to solidify your stance. Can't just say you don't want them.

Honestly though I find it much more respectable when people just don't want a character simply because they don't want or like them.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Time for my (rather late) Min Min thoughts.

She's alright. I'm not really a fan of ARMS -- I don't dislike it, it's just kinda there for me. So when the guessing game got announced, there was a period of March to June 2020 where I wasn't invested in who the next character would be. Still, her trailer was fun and well-animated, so my only gripe with how she got announced was separating the franchise reveal from the character reveal.

Playstyle-wise, she's strange. I'm not at all used to controlling her, so she feels super awkward when I try to play her. I'm sure if I sat down and put in the time to learn how to play her she'd make more sense, but idk. Playing against a good Min Min can also be really scary -- an irl friend of mine picked her up, and the rest of our group gets a little scared when he chooses her.

My favorite thing about her challenger pack is Spring Stadium. The jump pads with hazards on can cause a lot of fun shenanigans, and even with hazards off I've gotten some funny interactions with the ceiling tiles. Plus the music selection is solid.

Overall the only thing that I feel exclusively negative about in regard to Min Min was splitting up the reveal. Otherwise it's neutral to positive, all averaging out to slightly above neutral.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Realized I may have been a little spicy currently. Apologies. Very bored atm. Just throwing unfiltered thoughts out there. Just want this final character reveal to be over with so everyone can rest like a warrior after a long journey.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Famitsu just published an interview with Masayuki Doi, character and demon designer for SMT.

Why I'm sharing this? Well, he talks about some of the characters and demons he has designed for SMTV, and for the protagonist, he says this

"It was around 2016, I believe, when I designed the main character of this game. Originally, we planned to release the game around the Olympic year [2020]. so we could predict the growing interest in Japan worldwide. Therefore, the main character’s design was also based around the concept of “Japanese-ness,” so that it would be popular around the world."

Basically sharing this for fun, and also because I remember some people here doubting the protagonist was fully finalized by the time Fighters Pass 2 was decided.
He also states SMTV was originally planned for 2020, so there's that. I guess the pandemic affected them a lot.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That said, while I do like Min-Min I was one of the 5 Misango fans holding out hope since he's my main in ARMS.

As for Conker, would much rather have Fulgore or any KI character over him.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Famitsu just published an interview with Masayuki Doi, character and demon designer for SMT.

Why I'm sharing this? Well, he talks about some of the characters and demons he has designed for SMTV, and for the protagonist, he says this

"It was around 2016, I believe, when I designed the main character of this game. Originally, we planned to release the game around the Olympic year [2020]. so we could predict the growing interest in Japan worldwide. Therefore, the main character’s design was also based around the concept of “Japanese-ness,” so that it would be popular around the world."

Basically sharing this for fun, and also because I remember some people here doubting the protagonist was fully finalized by the time Fighters Pass 2 was decided.
He also states SMTV was originally planned for 2020, so there's that. I guess the pandemic affected them a lot.
oh phooey

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Okay I can understand the last two but what did Sora do? :217:
I just......don't want him.
Simple as that.
Idk how to explain it, there's just something about him that just makes me hate him for some reason lol
And that's plenty enough reason for me. I love my fair share of anime swordsmen but him in particular I just cannot tolerate, don't ask me why 😅

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Idk how to explain it, there's just something about him that just makes me hate him for some reason lol
Probably all the convoluted plot. :iwatanod: His Sakurai Presents would be 1/2 trying to explain Kingdom Hearts lore alone.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
when you come back to 25 notifications

Therefore, the main character’s design was also based around the concept of “Japanese-ness,” so that it would be popular around the world.

Their plan to make him popular worldwide was to make him super Japanese?

Well I don't get it, but considering how everyone loves him even though he hasn't done anything yet, I guess they succeeded.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Well I missed this retrospective of Ultimate's DLC that we were doing. Well better late than never.

Min MIn
Yeah Min Min is a great representation of ARMS while offering something genuinely different from the rest of the Smash cast. She's definitely not everyone's cup of tea but if you don't like Min Min, you weren't going to like anyone from ARMS. Also I sincerely hope that on the fly ARMS swaping is something that's considered for ARMS 2.

I think the stage is a bit basic, but I'm fine with it.

I love the ARMS OST and I appreciate that we effectively got the whole soundtrack in Smash and 2 good remixes.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
when you come back to 25 notifications

Well I don't get it, but considering how everyone loves him even though he hasn't done anything yet, I guess they succeeded.
I mean to be fair, given the backlash Capcom and other third parties got years ago for trying to make their games more Westernized and the success many IP's have had in returning to their roots and/or embracing their instincts, the logic is somewhat sound. Persona 5 in many ways something that probably wouldn't have been as successful if it had tried to be more Western in its sensibilities.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am firmly of the belief that being the “main character” in a fighting game doesn’t mean anything. If you’re gonna add a fighting game character to Smash, then they should either be the most popular character, or the one with the most interesting moveset. Liu Kang is undoubtedly the main character in MK, yet Scorpion or Sub-Zero would certainly be the best choices for Smash. There was a tournament that literally proved that Min Min was the most popular ARMS character, which definitively makes her the best choice for Ultimate in my opinion.
This is how Mai BlazBlue wins :4pacman:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
It makes me remember this from my elementary school library class

tikki-tikki-tembo-no-sa-rembo-chari-bari-ruchi-pit-peri-pembo
havent thought about it in literal decades but remembered & heard the whole song immediately in my head after reading this

still fire tbh

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Well in the interview he says this as well about the protag's design.
"The protagonist of the game merges with Aogami and becomes known as Nahobino. For this reason, I had to consider the contrast between him and Aogami moving forward. Compared to the mature male image of Aogami’s, the protagonist is characterized by a feminine appearance with a strong sense of aestheticism, designed to be literate and intelligent, while Aogami gives the impression that he’s a good fighter. As a result, the protagonist has a unique atmosphere that is typical of “Megaten,” in a sense."

I guess those were the ingredients for this successful design, and I think they nailed it to be honest, the reception to the main character's design was very positive and I guess they anticipated it in a way.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean to be fair, given the backlash Capcom and other third parties got years ago for trying to make their games more Westernized and the success many IP's have had in returning to their roots and/or embracing their instincts, the logic is somewhat sound.
By this do you mean how people weren't fond of Resident Evil: The Cheezey Action flick?

SKX31

Smash Master
Min Min pretty much had the makings of an "eh" reaction by a lot of people. The new game she was from was moderately successful, she was distinct without having too technical a gimmick, she was a reasonably popular choice from ARMS, and the guessing game meant there was no leak/rumor that could effect opinions on her prior to the reveal.

The antipathy towards how people play as her online was the first real extreme reaction a sizable amount of people even had towards her, good or bad.
Think a large part of the antipathy is also because such a style easily becomes seen as irritating when one's on the recieving end. Denial of adrealine and all that. Inexperience plays also a large part: the Belmonts got much of the same antipathy during Ultimate's launch window because they were heavily associated with projectile spam and ledgetrap confirms.

I'm someone who's been online and been wrecked by Min Mins, Belmonts etc. quite a few times (but also wrecked a couple of them in return): it always bears repeating that the most healthy thing to do after a nasty loss is to take a break, a breather and consider the scenarios where one gets caught by the opponent consistently. And then learn how to avoid / counteract those situations. If one saved the replay, that helps a lot.

That goes for any playstyle anyone may have trouble with.

Why not? It's how America does things. :nifty: Everything's gotta be American. Post the One Piece 4Kids intro.
America's market is generally just America though. Patriotism and all that.

I mean how else would you explain the jelly doughnuts?
Well... :4pacman: (Edited due to realizing I kinda jumped the gun.)

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's hard to take anyone's opinion seriously when they use the term "scrimbo bimblo". It has just caused more divide between the "cereal mascot" fans and the "anime swordsman" fans. As someone who LOVES both JRPGs and 3D platformers, I will never understand why the smash fanbase has decided to start a war between those genres.
It mostly started with people complaining about Fire Emblem, to a lesser extent Kid Icarus, many of whom were fans of other popular requests like K.Rool, Banjo and so on. When taken to another extreme, even new third party franchises like Final Fantasy, Persona and Dragon Quest caught, let alone the comparatively obscure Xenoblade.

People who like those anime games, basically flung **** back. Since characters like K.Rool and Banjor are pretty irrelevant in the larger gaming space. And like before, this sort of veered into other characters like Crash, Spyro and so on.

We've also seen this with pretty much any fighting game character who wasn't Ryu or Min-Min. People who don't play other fighting games, basically **** on the choices despite it being the other half of the genre Smash even is.

I like a decent variety of games from a lot of genres, though platformers and fighting games are two of my favorites, probably why I like Smash so much.

I think the best option is to unite anime fans and scrimblo fans together is to add a character who is both anime and from a platformer.

MEGA MAN X BAYBEEE!!!

Close up MMX1Armor.jpg

GREATEST GAME EVER MADE! BEST PROTAG! MY MUTHA****IN' MC! LOOK AT THIS KING!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
By this do you mean how people weren't fond of Resident Evil: The Cheezey Action flick?
Well that and the... divisive reaction to DmC: Devil May Cry was telling how the attempts to tone down the quirkiness and delightful weirdness of various franchises was just a turn off to people, especially when it felt like they were changing them with the kind of tone from games they there were already plenty of in the West already.

Granted none of them ever reached the level of tone deafness that was the grimdark Bomberman like we saw in Act Zero of that franchise, but it feels like with the huge success of Persona 5, the strong fan reaction to Devil May Cry 5, and the continuous momentum of stuff like Yakuza is telling of something. I think a lot of fans want series that embody whatever out there nature they have, rather than trying to pander to what they think people want.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Oooooooookay then! So remember how for these past couple days, I've had all this talk of doing some writeups to shill SEGA stuff to the people of Smashboards dot com? Well, today, I'm pushing out the first writeup. I thought that hey, with all this complaining I do about a lot of people in this community only giving a damn about scrimblos and super surface-level stuff when it comes to SEGA, I might as well try to alleviate that ever so slightly! (Now, that doesn't mean I won't ever cover scrimblos in the future, but they'll be cool scrimblos). So come with me, on this journey of indeterminate length through SEGA history, for the inaugural installment of Speed Weed Shills SEGA ****!

And I think it's important that I make sure to choose a good game to start off on. And it just so happens that there is a SEGA game out there that isn't too overwhelming of a first game to cover, helps us dive right into aspects of SEGA as a developer that will continue to be relevant as we go on, and is a very iconic and important game to their history while still being a bit far out of the apparent frame of reference a lot of people here seem to have. So basically the perfect first game for me to cover. That's right - if you're doing some writeups meant to shill non-Sonic SEGA stuff, then I sincerely believe that there is no better game to start off on.....than OutRun.
7769-outrun-pc-engine-capa-1.jpg

Now then, I'm not going to act like I'm the only person here who's familiar with OutRun. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who are familiar with this lovely game, but I'm sure there are also some people here who, well, aren't. This is for them! Hey you, standing there, if you consider yourself to know jack**** about SEGA, this is for you!

OutRun is a "driving game" released by SEGA for arcades in 1986. First things first, ya can't talk about OutRun without mentioning the fact that this game was the work of Yu Suzuki and his team at Studio 128, which can basically be seen as a predecessor of sorts to the AM2 division at SEGA. Now, it's important to note that both Yu Suzuki and AM2 (especially if we're to include their previous incarnations as Studio 128 and R&D 8 in here) are absolute legends of SEGA history. Quite possibly the most important developer and dev team in the company's history respectively, and we'll be seeing them plenty of times if this goes on long enough, because they have a ton of other games that are either iconic to SEGA as well or would be just plain fun to talk about - from Hang-On to After Burner to Power Drift to Space Harrier to Virtua Racing to Virtua Fighter to Virtua Cop to DAYTONAAAAAAAAA to Fighting Vipers to Shenmue to even **** like Rent A Hero and Border Break. So yeah. We'll be seeing them a lot if this goes on.

And Yu's involvement really is important to discuss here because I want to delve into this game's development. So it was the mid-80s, and Yu Suzuki was already pumping out banger after banger at SEGA, helping them usher in their arcade golden age with iconic classics like Hang-On and Space Harrier, which had two big things going for them:

A. They didn't just have any old arcade cabinets, but rather, they made use of what SEGA themselves came to dub as "taikan" cabinets: a special kind of sit-down arcade cabinets that moved around a lot and focused on being big bombastic experiences that immersed the player in the game. For example, Hang-On's cabinet was shaped like a motorbike and made it so that people playing it had to control the game as if they were actually riding one. Another rather famous example is the R360 cabinet for G-LOC, which is hilariously over-the-top - as the name implies, it's a spherical cabinet that's designed to actually spin people around on 360 degrees as they're playing the game

B. These games made use of a very special little thing called Super Scaler technology, which used sprite scaling to give the games a sense of speed and a 3D look and feel

OutRun also employs both of these things, and is perhaps the most iconic SEGA game to use taikans and super scalers and what have you. This one in particular has a cabinet designed to make it feel like you're actually driving a car.

Yu intitially got the idea for this game from the 1981 movie The Cannonball Run, which focuses on a cross-country car race through the USA. He planned on having the game follow the same course as the movie - only to realize that it didn't quite have the variety in scenery that he was hoping for. So what did he do? He got himself a camera and travelled to Europe, driving all around the continent and filming the local scenery. After going back to Japan, he used that scenery as inspiration for the game's settings. Worth noting that Yu was a big fan of Ferrari supercars, and OutRun does feature a car that's strikingly similar to a Ferrari Testarossa, to the point that the general public have accepted it as being just that. Now, this led to a whole bunch of licensing mumbo-jumbo that I don't really feel like delving into right now.
maxresdefault-1 (1).jpg

So the premise of OutRun itself is simply that you're a Cool 80s Dude who has a Ferrari, and with your girlfriend by your side, you drive through all kinds of locations, while having to reach the goal before the timer runs out. You'll go through 5 "stages" in one playthrough, but the game has split paths at the end of each "stage", making it so there is a grand total of 15 sections in the game, along with 5 possible endings.

Yu Suzuki has always insisted on OutRun being more of a "driving game" than a racing game, and that's an apt way of describing what made the game so unique - compared to other racing games at the time, OutRun was a more laid-back experience. Despite the timer and all that, I think the main point of the game was always just "haha you drive the car!" And let me stress that there's nothing wrong with that, again, it made OutRun stand out as a unique experience at the time.

Another very very important part of OutRun is its music. Composed by legendary SEGA composer Hiroshi Kawaguchi, the game stood out for being perhaps the clearest example of SEGA's overall style when it came to the music of their big arcade games of the time, in that they didn't just make simple melodies to go along with the gameplay, they wrote tracks as if they were, like, actual songs. The music in this game was a lot longer and more varied and complex than what most other games had at the time, and has gone on to be extremely popular and a core part of the game's identity. As such, here's the game's legendary soundtrack:

-Magical Sound Shower
-Splash Wave
-Passing Breeze
-Last Wave (the results screen theme)

So again, OutRun is a very very iconic SEGA game. It's a legitimate contender for the title of most iconic arcade game they've ever made IMO. It's a super duper popular game that was a huge hit in arcades and a pioneer in video game graphics, audio, and arcade cabinet design. The soundtrack in particular is so iconic that it went on to inspire a whole-ass genre of music called synthwave, which has also been referred to as "outrun music". Yeah.

The game's available on, like, everything under the sun so go give it a try if you haven't, it's an all-time classic!

Now then....what about Smash?

Yeah I feel like I gotta still connect this to Smash somehow, so how do I feel about OutRun content in Smash? Although a playable character probably wouldn't happen for pretty obvious reasons, I will say that I do believe OutRun is absolutely deserving of some form of content in Smash, considering how iconic it is to SEGA and arcade game history. If we ever get misc. third-party stages, then tbh, an OutRun stage would be at the top of my list of things I'd like to see. But considering how iconic the music in particular is, I really feel like the best way of representing OutRun in Smash would just be to include its soundtrack. Honestly, Bayo got to come with her game's remix of After Burner, throw the Climax Mix of Splash Wave in there too while you're at it!

So there we go! That's my first big SEGA writeup, and we'll see if I get to do more. I really did feel like OutRun was the perfect game to start off on, and if you weren't that knowledgeable about this game, then I hope you've learned something of value!

As for the next game I'll cover, I'd actually like to turn to my fellow SEGAchads on this thread for suggestions. I have some things in mind, but I'm not quite sure about which way to go. I'm mainly looking for a game that also makes for a good one to cover early on, while being different enough from OutRun to really allow us to explore a whole nother part of SEGA's history.

Bye, nerds!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well that and the... divisive reaction to DmC: Devil May Cry was telling how the attempts to tone down the quirkiness and delightful weirdness of various franchises was just a turn off to people, especially when it felt like they were changing them with the kind of tone from games they there were already plenty of in the West already.

Granted none of them ever reached the level of tone deafness that was the grimdark Bomberman like we saw in Act Zero of that franchise, but it feels like with the huge success of Persona 5, the strong fan reaction to Devil May Cry 5, and the continuous momentum of stuff like Yakuza is telling of something. I think a lot of fans want series that embody whatever out there nature they have, rather than trying to pander to what they think people want.
That makes sense, though if they truly were trying to copy the west...

I'll just say that it was a bad idea for the west to copy the west in that point in time. lol

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Probably all the convoluted plot. :iwatanod: His Sakurai Presents would be 1/2 trying to explain Kingdom Hearts lore alone.
It would take 25 minutes just to get to the end of the GBA interquel.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While I would joke about SMT V taking as long as it did after its announcement, the timing of releasing now might prove to be to its benefit. You've had a 4 and a half year cycle of not only JPRG fans seeing how the Switch is a great fit for the genre via major releases, but also a lot of younger fans that are probably more inclined to try a Shin Megami Tensei game now than they would have been in the last console generation. They liked Three Houses, maybe liked the Xenoblade titles; they could very well be looking at SMT V as something that can scratch the same itch.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I really want an Among Us Mii costume. It'd be really funny and people would talk about it just as much if not more than the last fighter. Also the MEMES.
If they were to hypothetically get a costume I would immediately start loathing the fact that my timeline will get absolutely filled with:

When the Mii is sus
When the Mii is sus
When the Mii is sus
Greninja vented
When the Mii is sus
When the Mii is sus
When the Smash Bros. is sus
When the Mii is sus

EDIT: And every single one of these videos will either be a combo video, or a crappost with no inbetween save for maybe that one Alpharad video.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If they were to hypothetically get a costume I would immediately start loathing the fact that my timeline will get absolutely filled with:

When the Mii is sus
When the Mii is sus
When the Mii is sus
Greninja vented
When the Mii is sus
When the Mii is sus
When the Mii is sus
Coupled with the Among Us helmet on top of Sans' body for the complete package.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

When the Mii is sus
When the Mii is sus
When the Mii is sus
Greninja vented
When the Mii is sus
When the Mii is sus
When the Mii is sus
It seems there is a sussy baka amogus.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Oooooooookay then! So remember how for these past couple days, I've had all this talk of doing some writeups to shill SEGA stuff to the people of Smashboards dot com? Well, today, I'm pushing out the first writeup. I thought that hey, with all this complaining I do about a lot of people in this community only giving a damn about scrimblos and super surface-level stuff when it comes to SEGA, I might as well try to alleviate that ever so slightly! (Now, that doesn't mean I won't ever cover scrimblos in the future, but they'll be cool scrimblos). So come with me, on this journey of indeterminate length through SEGA history, for the inaugural installment of Speed Weed Shills SEGA ****!

And I think it's important that I make sure to choose a good game to start off on. And it just so happens that there is a SEGA game out there that isn't too overwhelming of a first game to cover, helps us dive right into aspects of SEGA as a developer that will continue to be relevant as we go on, and is a very iconic and important game to their history while still being a bit far out of the apparent frame of reference a lot of people here seem to have. So basically the perfect first game for me to cover. That's right - if you're doing some writeups meant to shill non-Sonic SEGA stuff, then I sincerely believe that there is no better game to start off on.....than OutRun.
View attachment 332256
Now then, I'm not going to act like I'm the only person here who's familiar with OutRun. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who are familiar with this lovely game, but I'm sure there are also some people here who, well, aren't. This is for them! Hey you, standing there, if you consider yourself to know jack**** about SEGA, this is for you!

OutRun is a "driving game" released by SEGA for arcades in 1986. First things first, ya can't talk about OutRun without mentioning the fact that this game was the work of Yu Suzuki and his team at Studio 128, which can basically be seen as a predecessor of sorts to the AM2 division at SEGA. Now, it's important to note that both Yu Suzuki and AM2 (especially if we're to include their previous incarnations as Studio 128 and R&D 8 in here) are absolute legends of SEGA history. Quite possibly the most important developer and dev team in the company's history respectively, and we'll be seeing them plenty of times if this goes on long enough, because they have a ton of other games that are either iconic to SEGA as well or would be just plain fun to talk about - from Hang-On to After Burner to Power Drift to Space Harrier to Virtua Racing to Virtua Fighter to Virtua Cop to DAYTONAAAAAAAAA to Fighting Vipers to Shenmue to even **** like Rent A Hero and Border Break. So yeah. We'll be seeing them a lot if this goes on.

And Yu's involvement really is important to discuss here because I want to delve into this game's development. So it was the mid-80s, and Yu Suzuki was already pumping out banger after banger at SEGA, helping them usher in their arcade golden age with iconic classics like Hang-On and Space Harrier, which had two big things going for them:

A. They didn't just have any old arcade cabinets, but rather, they made use of what SEGA themselves came to dub as "taikan" cabinets: a special kind of sit-down arcade cabinets that moved around a lot and focused on being big bombastic experiences that immersed the player in the game. For example, Hang-On's cabinet was shaped like a motorbike and made it so that people playing it had to control the game as if they were actually riding one. Another rather famous example is the R360 cabinet for G-LOC, which is hilariously over-the-top - as the name implies, it's a spherical cabinet that's designed to actually spin people around on 360 degrees as they're playing the game

B. These games made use of a very special little thing called Super Scaler technology, which used sprite scaling to give the games a sense of speed and a 3D look and feel

OutRun also employs both of these things, and is perhaps the most iconic SEGA game to use taikans and super scalers and what have you. This one in particular has a cabinet designed to make it feel like you're actually driving a car.

Yu intitially got the idea for this game from the 1981 movie The Cannonball Run, which focuses on a cross-country car race through the USA. He planned on having the game follow the same course as the movie - only to realize that it didn't quite have the variety in scenery that he was hoping for. So what did he do? He got himself a camera and travelled to Europe, driving all around the continent and filming the local scenery. After going back to Japan, he used that scenery as inspiration for the game's settings. Worth noting that Yu was a big fan of Ferrari supercars, and OutRun does feature a car that's strikingly similar to a Ferrari Testarossa, to the point that the general public have accepted it as being just that. Now, this led to a whole bunch of licensing mumbo-jumbo that I don't really feel like delving into right now.
View attachment 332267
So the premise of OutRun itself is simply that you're a Cool 80s Dude who has a Ferrari, and with your girlfriend by your side, you drive through all kinds of locations, while having to reach the goal before the timer runs out. You'll go through 5 "stages" in one playthrough, but the game has split paths at the end of each "stage", making it so there is a grand total of 15 sections in the game, along with 5 possible endings.

Yu Suzuki has always insisted on OutRun being more of a "driving game" than a racing game, and that's an apt way of describing what made the game so unique - compared to other racing games at the time, OutRun was a more laid-back experience. Despite the timer and all that, I think the main point of the game was always just "haha you drive the car!" And let me stress that there's nothing wrong with that, again, it made OutRun stand out as a unique experience at the time.

Another very very important part of OutRun is its music. Composed by legendary SEGA composer Hiroshi Kawaguchi, the game stood out for being perhaps the clearest example of SEGA's overall style when it came to the music of their big arcade games of the time, in that they didn't just make simple melodies to go along with the gameplay, they wrote tracks as if they were, like, actual songs. The music in this game was a lot longer and more varied and complex than what most other games had at the time, and has gone on to be extremely popular and a core part of the game's identity. As such, here's the game's legendary soundtrack:

-Magical Sound Shower
-Splash Wave
-Passing Breeze
-Last Wave (the results screen theme)

So again, OutRun is a very very iconic SEGA game. It's a legitimate contender for the title of most iconic arcade game they've ever made IMO. It's a super duper popular game that was a huge hit in arcades and a pioneer in video game graphics, audio, and arcade cabinet design. The soundtrack in particular is so iconic that it went on to inspire a whole-ass genre of music called synthwave, which has also been referred to as "outrun music". Yeah.

The game's available on, like, everything under the sun so go give it a try if you haven't, it's an all-time classic!

Now then....what about Smash?

Yeah I feel like I gotta still connect this to Smash somehow, so how do I feel about OutRun content in Smash? Although a playable character probably wouldn't happen for pretty obvious reasons, I will say that I do believe OutRun is absolutely deserving of some form of content in Smash, considering how iconic it is to SEGA and arcade game history. If we ever get misc. third-party stages, then tbh, an OutRun stage would be at the top of my list of things I'd like to see. But considering how iconic the music in particular is, I really feel like the best way of representing OutRun in Smash would just be to include its soundtrack. Honestly, Bayo got to come with her game's remix of After Burner, throw the Climax Mix of Splash Wave in there too while you're at it!

So there we go! That's my first big SEGA writeup, and we'll see if I get to do more. I really did feel like OutRun was the perfect game to start off on, and if you weren't that knowledgeable about this game, then I hope you've learned something of value!

As for the next game I'll cover, I'd actually like to turn to my fellow SEGAchads on this thread for suggestions. I have some things in mind, but I'm not quite sure about which way to go. I'm mainly looking for a game that also makes for a good one to cover early on, while being different enough from OutRun to really allow us to explore a whole nother part of SEGA's history.

Bye, nerds!
I've yet to play OutRun for myself but I have fond memories of the track inspired by it in Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed. Just gives off a real cozy feeling with its beautiful scenery and kickass music.

Maybe I'll look into the SEGA AGES port on Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom