• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Both have their own merits, I don’t really have a preference
Yeah they both do. Base game ones usually have a lot less going on, whilst you have ones like Steve who would be broken if they had free access to everything they had now at the push of the button so they tacked on a resource meter to make it balanced. I guess it depends if people would rather focus on just playing the game or don't mind a bit of set-up to allow for more crazy combo shenanigans and the like.

kylexv

Smash Master
I'm a little bit late to the Min Min discussion from earlier but here goes.

Day 7: Min Min :ultminmin

Every single character revealed in the second Fighters Pass so far managed to be a surprise to me, and an ARMS rep was no exception. We all thought that ARMS’s chances were dead after Spring Man was in the base game as an Assist Trophy. After all, it was also three years since ARMS came out. It was dead, right? But, in March of 2020, we were all proven wrong. One of ARMS’s fifteen characters was set to appear as the first fighter of the second Fighters Pass.

Many names were thrown around, but Min Min was ultimately the one chosen by the development team. Having not played ARMS, Min Min was the ARMS character I wanted simply because I liked her design the most, so I was happy to see Nintendo choose her as the character. Her moveset ended up being fun, albeit annoying for others to fight against, as well, which is nice. Overall, another solid character inclusion but nothing to get overly excited about.

Min Min also set an interesting precedent for speculation to come: she had a spirit in Ultimate’s base game. This meant that some characters that had spirits in Ultimate’s base game now had a solid chance to be in this Fighter’s Pass, opening the door to a lot more potential characters. Min Min would prove not to be the only newcomer to fit under this bill either...

(Wow, I really don't have too much to say about this character)

7NATOR

Smash Master
Not to get too off-topic but its done by the same guys who did Bob's Burgers IIRC. I've seen clips of it although not much beyond that. Ik it's like a catchphrase although never really looked at the context. Have to catch it at some poiny Still, I guess I don't wanna be banned for discussing TV shows in the spec thread.

Just wanted to get everyone's opinions on this, but do you guys prefer the characters from base game or DLC? As in playstyle? I have completely dropped the ball on all of the base game characters and their presentation and the way they control feels so weird to me going back to them. I'm just way more accustomed to the more gimmicky characters through the DLC, and yes, that includes "Everyone hates me cos I'm not able to switch between eggs and have a load of other bells and whistles" Banjo. I doubt it's a direct correlation since some characters from as way back as Brawl are more gimmicky than the simplest DLC character from Ultimate but it's definitely an interesting case study. It's quite literally reliability vs versatility. All of Ultimate's DLC newcomers are more well rounded whilst still being applicable to a certain playstyle whilst all the base game characters are usually meant to be played in a rather specific way, except from Mr all rounder Mario and a few others. The DLC have ways to circumvent free access to these tools as a way to counterbalance it, whilst the base game characters have access to these tools anyway due to their playstyles being based on reliability.

Dragged on a bit there but TL:DR do you guys prefer base Ultimate characters or DLC in regards to playstyle? Simplicity or gimmicky?
When you mean the Base game, are you only referring to the Ultimate Newcomers, or the Roster as a whole

I'm quite unsure. I think I like a balance of Both the most. A Character might have a Gimmick, but in general playstyle is actually pretty Simple to play, and on the other side, a character might be quite complex not because of any Gimmicks, but just their general playstyle is unorthodox

Cloud has his Limit Gimmick, but he's very Simple and easy character to play, and it's part of the reason he's one of my Favorite characters to Play in the Smash series. Mac is a Gimmicky Character that could also be considered Simple in what he does, but I love him for it, even if it can be frustrating especially in Ultimate which is much more Aerial focused than Smash 4

I think Personally I lean more towards Simplicity than Gimmicky. Kazuya is probably the most Gimmicky Character I play with all the stuff he has, but It's Simple to get easy damage with his High Damage moves and such. He can chain combos if you have the execution, but unlike someone like Sheik you don't need complex combos to do big Damage, and the Gimmicks he has are fun to use and allow you more Complexity once you get past the simple stuff.

Alot of the time, Characters will suffer in Areas due to the powerful nature of the Gimmick, and it might not appeal to people, sometimes me included. I find Steve too gimmicky for me to Play to be honest as an example

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Anyway anyone wanna write up some last minute dream trailer mock-ups?

here’s one from Character Exploration Thread that I’m super proud of (they’re doing Octoling today)
To be honest I'm kinda envious of anyone who can go through the effort to write out a decent trailer. I just kinda make stuff up as I go and try to clutter on whatever I think of. At least, that's what happened the last time I tried it.
Nope. League of Legends is a MOBA with only one character. :p

She's probably a mascot of sorts, though in this case I could easily see this being another "we think this character makes the most sense, but they ended up picking someone else anyway" type deal.
I think a large part of it stems from how the main LoL advocates on the thread, 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus and Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura , have her as their personal favorites and so the uninformed have her as their first impression. Kinda like how my Ys phase and the resulting passion ended up carrying Adol into becoming the Falcom frontrunner and the arguably larger-at-this-point Trails ended up heavily overlooked.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah.... It's telling how many Banjo and byleth comments were made pro or con but min min is like ehhh stuff.
I feel like it's because people wanted Spring Man to break the AT Promotion schtick, I remember that being a thing last year. Also, the ARMS Guessing game wasn't exactly good marketing imo.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I feel like it's because people wanted Spring Man to break the AT Promotion schtick, I remember that being a thing last year. Also, the ARMS Guessing game wasn't exactly good marketing imo.
Dang if that didn't give us AT fans a glimmer of hope, and I feel like it was close to happening too. I'll disagree on the ARMS guessing game bit, it was good to make people talk about the game for a few months considering most dismiss it nowadays. Not a game I own but it's really original and charming, want to see them expand it further.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Min Min pretty much had the makings of an "eh" reaction by a lot of people. The new game she was from was moderately successful but nothing close to Splatoon level, she was distinct with her range without having too technical a gimmick, she was a reasonably popular selection from ARMS, and the guessing game meant there was no leak/rumor that could affect opinions on her prior to the reveal.

The antipathy towards how people play as her online was the first real extreme reaction a sizable amount of people even had towards her, good or bad.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’m curious about the etymology of the words “Scrimblo Bimblo.” Like, did people just throw a bunch of platformer hero names into a blender and settle on what we have today?
I think it's just some rhyming gibberish slapped together because that's what old-school cartoons and cartoon-styled games from the West sounded like. "Scrimblo Bimblo, the lovable Scrunko." No real meaning or origin, it just sounds goofy and wacky like you'd expect a cartoon to be

Trevenant

Smash Lord
When you mean the Base game, are you only referring to the Ultimate Newcomers, or the Roster as a whole

I'm quite unsure. I think I like a balance of Both the most. A Character might have a Gimmick, but in general playstyle is actually pretty Simple to play, and on the other side, a character might be quite complex not because of any Gimmicks, but just their general playstyle is unorthodox

Cloud has his Limit Gimmick, but he's very Simple and easy character to play, and it's part of the reason he's one of my Favorite characters to Play in the Smash series. Mac is a Gimmicky Character that could also be considered Simple in what he does, but I love him for it, even if it can be frustrating especially in Ultimate which is much more Aerial focused than Smash 4

I think Personally I lean more towards Simplicity than Gimmicky. Kazuya is probably the most Gimmicky Character I play with all the stuff he has, but It's Simple to get easy damage with his High Damage moves and such. He can chain combos if you have the execution, but unlike someone like Sheik you don't need complex combos to do big Damage, and the Gimmicks he has are fun to use and allow you more Complexity once you get past the simple stuff.

Alot of the time, Characters will suffer in Areas due to the powerful nature of the Gimmick, and it might not appeal to people, sometimes me included. I find Steve too gimmicky for me to Play to be honest as an example
I was kinda generalizing the entire base game in terms of simplicity since they are a lot less ambitious, especially considering a lot of the things they could do.

Now that I think about it, this is probably where the idea of DLC treatment comes from, where they're given a lot more options in comparison to the base game cast. It's also kinda odd IMO that characters that are way more ambitious like Steve are usually held off for DLC, despite having unprecedented mechanics that feasibly would have been easier to incorporate in base game, considering they'd have been able to alter the pre-existing engine and account for stuff like that. I guess it could be argued that maybe these characters could never have been in base game but Steve isn't really the only example. It definitely applies to most of pass 1 and definitely all of pass 2. This is me discounting other potential hangups BTW like timing etc before anyone starts with that lol. It even happened back in Smash 4 DLC. I imagine it's more so the circumstances that means that other characters were prioritized at the time but I guess maybe if not, it could be that they want the base game characters to be scaled back so they can appeal to the more casual demographic who are ultimately the majority. Food for thought.

Laniv

Smash Champion

here’s one from Character Exploration Thread that I’m super proud of (they’re doing Octoling today)
I made one for Captain Toad a few weeks ago:

What would be a good idea for a Captain Toad reveal trailer? Here's what I have as an idea:

The camera fades in on a bright blue sky. A single black feather drifts into view, and the camera follows it down to the ground as it lands on a grassy field. The feather is then promptly blown away by a familiar green pointed shoe hurrying along.

Wario, in his traditional cap and overalls, is hot on the trail of his biggest score yet. As he runs along, he rudely shoves aside a Shy Guy as he turns a corner, and takes out a diving Flaptor without even taking his eyes off his treasure map. Speaking of which, the camera cuts to Wario's point of view, showing the map leading to a treasure chest spilling with riches. And what luck, for the map is pulled down to reveal the exact same treasure chest in front of him!

"Yahoo!" cries an elated Wario, as he puts away the map and makes a beeline for the chest. He pulls open its lid, its contents glowing. There's a close-up on Wario's face, practically drooling with anticipation.

It's a huge (and I do mean huge) diamond, with two innocent eyes.

Wario wastes no time in plucking the diamond out of the chest and holding it up to the light to examine it. As he laughs heartily over his victory, a beak plucks it out of his hand, its owner just off screen.

It takes Wario a couple moments to realize the theft, and when he does, he's furious. The camera pans up to reveal a giant black bird wearing a Power Star necklace, the gem in its clutches. It gives Wario a knowing look before flying off.

But Wario is having none of it, no sir! He leaps after the bird and clings onto its neck, intending to give it what for. The bird shrieks in surprise and drops the gem, prompting Wario to leap down after it.

He... doesn't exactly stick the landing, falling with his face in the dirt. The gem bounces off and rolls away, stopping at someone's red shoes. The figure picks up the diamond just as Wario gets back on his feet. He sees the stranger with his treasure and shouts in anger, challenging them to a fight. In response, the newcomer puts away the diamond and adjusts their headlamp, just as the camera pans to reveal...

Captain Toad is Ready For Adventure!!

"Fight time!" he declares, brandishing a pickaxe and transitioning into gameplay footage.

During this gameplay footage, Toadette is shown off as an alt, with a tagline I can't think of yet.

The trailer ends with Captain Toad and Toadette sharing a high five. As they do so, the bird from before flies away with another treasure chest in its talons. The Toads yelp in surprise, before heading off after it. And the adventure continues...!

What do you think?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Does Jump Rope Bunny qualify as a scrimblo? Discuss.
I mean, first we'll have to define the term "scrimblo." Most people treat it as a byword for "any cartoony mascot character" or "any platformer," but to me it gives off the specific aura of a Western-made wacky cartoon creature. As in, Crash and Rayman are pure "scrimblo" characters for me. On the other hand, Japanese platformers feel like they're either sleeker (Like Sonic, though his older artworks did have a big of a scrimblo feel to them) or cuter (Like Klonoa or Kirby), or they just don't have the feel like Mario. I dunno, the term has specific connotations for me and I think I'm a lot pickier about my personal definition than most people.
Don't be silly.

The Switch doesn't support bluet----Well, it took them 2 ****ing years
I still use the plug.

I always use the plug (Except on long car rides, because I'm the casual frick who uses the iPhone with no headphone jack. Thanks for the useless removal, Apple).

It's just more convenient for me :drshrug:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I was kinda generalizing the entire base game in terms of simplicity since they are a lot less ambitious, especially considering a lot of the things they could do.

Now that I think about it, this is probably where the idea of DLC treatment comes from, where they're given a lot more options in comparison to the base game cast. It's also kinda odd IMO that characters that are way more ambitious like Steve are usually held off for DLC, despite having unprecedented mechanics that feasibly would have been easier to incorporate in base game, considering they'd have been able to alter the pre-existing engine and account for stuff like that. I guess it could be argued that maybe these characters could never have been in base game but Steve isn't really the only example. It definitely applies to most of pass 1 and definitely all of pass 2. This is me discounting other potential hangups BTW like timing etc before anyone starts with that lol. It even happened back in Smash 4 DLC. I imagine it's more so the circumstances that means that other characters were prioritized at the time but I guess maybe if not, it could be that they want the base game characters to be scaled back so they can appeal to the more casual demographic who are ultimately the majority. Food for thought.
The thing with Base game is that the entirety of the game is being developed at the same time the Base game Characters are being developed. The more complexities a character has, the more time has to be put into that character

One major thing is the Balancing. Every character needs to be balanced against the entirety of the Cast, and Characters with Complex Mechanics not only need their base Moveset to be balanced, but also their Gimmick against the rest of the cast. that takes alot of time. This is probably the biggest factor as to why Echoes or Clones are so easy to make in comparison to Unique Fighters, and probably why Certain characters (Doc) aren't considered echoes since they have enough differences that they need to be balanced Differently from their base

Plus, there's just also the thing of figuring out how to implemented Certain Abilities and such. Implementing something lie Ryu or Bayonetta in the base game would be much more challenging since these 2 had systems that were never coded in the Smash game, to to develop and code those systems, balance those systems, while at the same time Adding the other Base Roster characters, would be madness

And another thing is that Base Roster tends to lean towards 1st Party Nintendo Newcomers, while DLC Lean towards 3rd Party Newcomers. Because 3rd party characters requires that the owners be on board with Development process, that's gonna increase the Complexity of Developing the character since everything needs to be approved with the Owner. This becomes even harder with Western Characters due to the Language barrier, Timezones, etc. There's also the Licensing fees and such, which I bet Nintendo would rather take the hit on DLC, than on the Base game

DLC allows the characters to be as Extreme as they are because the Base Game is already made with the Systems and Balance set in place. Instead of having to develop some of the challenging systems DLC characters have when they are Making the base of the whole game, they can just Add onto and expand an Already made game with New systems, which is probably much easier to do

Also of course since people are paying Extra for DLC Characters, the Dev team has to go all out on the characters to make them more enticing. The Base game characters are sold with the Whole game and such

7NATOR

Smash Master

The thing with Base game is that the entirety of the game is being developed at the same time the Base game Characters are being developed. The more complexities a character has, the more time has to be put into that character

One major thing is the Balancing. Every character needs to be balanced against the entirety of the Cast, and Characters with Complex Mechanics not only need their base Moveset to be balanced, but also their Gimmick against the rest of the cast. that takes alot of time. This is probably the biggest factor as to why Echoes or Clones are so easy to make in comparison to Unique Fighters, and probably why Certain characters (Doc) aren't considered echoes since they have enough differences that they need to be balanced Differently from their base

Plus, there's just also the thing of figuring out how to implemented Certain Abilities and such. Implementing something lie Ryu or Bayonetta in the base game would be much more challenging since these 2 had systems that were never coded in the Smash game, to to develop and code those systems, balance those systems, while at the same time Adding the other Base Roster characters, would be madness

And another thing is that Base Roster tends to lean towards 1st Party Nintendo Newcomers, while DLC Lean towards 3rd Party Newcomers. Because 3rd party characters requires that the owners be on board with Development process, that's gonna increase the Complexity of Developing the character since everything needs to be approved with the Owner. This becomes even harder with Western Characters due to the Language barrier, Timezones, etc. There's also the Licensing fees and such, which I bet Nintendo would rather take the hit on DLC, than on the Base game

DLC allows the characters to be as Extreme as they are because the Base Game is already made with the Systems and Balance set in place. Instead of having to develop some of the challenging systems DLC characters have when they are Making the base of the whole game, they can just Add onto and expand an Already made game with New systems, which is probably much easier to do

Also of course since people are paying Extra for DLC Characters, the Dev team has to go all out on the characters to make them more enticing. The Base game characters are sold with the Whole game and such

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I like fighting Min-Min as Mega Man at least. It was for sure trickier with Ridley. But I for sure see why others would have an issue with fighting her unless you also have strong zoning. Maybe its because the Min-Min players I go up against are pretty predictable. I dunno.

Honestly, I think from personal experience, Sephiroth is the most annoying to fight of the Season 2 characters. Feels like he has a good answer for everything. Steve can be tricky if the player's IQ is off the charts. Pyra/Mythra have a few UNGA moves to look out for, but are manageable I guess. Kazuya is a fun fight, but if you **** up, you WILL pay for it.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
And that gets me concerned because Disney in Smash might open the floodgates to non-video game characters in Smash. Once Pandora's Box is opened it can never be closed again.
Sora is, by all account, a video game character sonyou dont have to worry about him suddenly allowing **** like Pluto or Zuko from Avatar in smash
big respect to the people riding the sora hype train until the bitter end
You are damn right Im staying on this train, i stayed on Nomuras train this long

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I had this mapped out when the thought came around:

-starts with Palutena sending an message to an unknown person inviting them to come to Smash with Pit interrupting
-Smash Logo appears in the shape of a boon followed by someone's voice being heard
-Pit sparing with someone

-gets interrupted by Fighter 11
-"Zagreus Reaches Smash!"
-gameplay montage
-ends with Zag getting falcon punched to death and being sent back to the pool of Styx
-Zag exchanges dialogue with dad
-exits the House of Hades and comes across a boon
-comes back with new powers
-gameplay shows off Zag's gimmick of having new abilities each time he dies with dialogue talking about it
-ends with Zag confronting dad on the surface with the Master Sword in hand

It makes me sad how unlikely it sounds but a man can dream.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Open with Inkopolis News Time, Pearl and Marina appear, seemingly doing their Splatfest routine.
”What, is there a new Splatfest?
“No, silly, we’ve had the final Splatfest a while ago!”
”So what is it then?”
Flaming Smash Logo appears on screen
”Ooooh, they’re announcing the final fighter! Who is it…who is it…”
Pearl and Marina appear on screen, the real Pearl and Marina flash their invites
“Pearl and Marina join the party”
”Yeah Marina, it’s you and me now!“
”Oh wow, I can’t believe it!”

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Min Min talk?
Here I go.............

OMG OZBDOEBFOENBFLJFJNJFL MY BABY 😭😭😭😭
Still can't believe I got one of my MOST WANTED characters in this game, and she is PERFECT in my eyes.
I don't care how much hate she receives, Min Min absolutely deserved to get added in this game, ARMS absolutely deserved to get a character in Smash, AND SHE IS FUN TO PLAY AS (and so is ARMS, y'all are just mean).
Amazing music, wonderful stage, super cute character with very cute animations, I really love how Sakurai and his team implemented her into the game and will forever have her as my MAIN MAIN.
Min Min amiibo waiting room now...
(Also shoutouts to my man Yabuki for getting Sakurai to pick Min Min because we might've lived in a Ninjara in Smash world and I would've hated every second of it lol)

I will now leave my final words of wisdom : as long as the last character isn't Sora, Cinderace or Jonesy Fortnite, I shall be content with what Sakurai brings forth...
And by all means, do include the likes of Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton (somehow, idk), Reimu Hakurei, Doom Slayer, Frisk, Rillaboom, Ryu Hayabusa or Astral Chain protags to keep my happiness.....ETERNAL.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I'm not good at coming up with trailers. All I know for certain is I want a scene where Euden teams up with Marth, Mega Man, Rathalos, Chrom, and Joker as a reference to all their crossovers.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I’m curious about the etymology of the words “Scrimblo Bimblo.” Like, did people just throw a bunch of platformer hero names into a blender and settle on what we have today?
It makes me remember this from my elementary school library class

tikki-tikki-tembo-no-sa-rembo-chari-bari-ruchi-pit-peri-pembo

Cover_of_Tikki_Tikki_Tembo_by_Arlene_Mosel.jpg

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
No not really.
You don't think it be like it is, but it do.

I want to throw his stupid hat in a swamp and cut off half his mustache with a pair of scissors. He isn't even dummy thick like Wario. Despicable.

don't take me too seriously please

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
A really clever trailer for one of my most-wanteds would involve a fight between these two :ultryu::ultken: being interrupted by :ult_terry: and these three:ultcloud::ultsephiroth::ultjoker: join in the pile one by one.
Would leave absolutely everyone else clueless, but dear god I would be hyped.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
User warned for flaming
You don't think it be like it is, but it do.

I want to throw his stupid hat in a swamp and cut off half his mustache with a pair of scissors. He isn't even dummy thick like Wario. Despicable.

don't take me too seriously please
Screw you. Hater.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Thinking back, I still haven't even tried playing Min Min. I was fine with her inclusion but I haven't played her once. Same with Steve (though with less joy), and Terry. I think some of the weirder playstyles don't interest me at all. It's why I think uniqueness is massively overrated.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Saying Sora getting in allows non-video game characters is ****ing asinine. Going by the argument that it's going to encourage other companies to put Goku or whoever in Smash implies that they even have the power to force Nintendo to do that, and not Nintendo (and the almighty Sakurai veto) setting the ground rules. Sora is from a video game, he counts. You can't change that, and Disney can't change anything that isn't whether or not they'll give them the license to use the character they own the rights to. We've been through this song and dance before, I feel like singing and dancing again just to keep spitting the facts I've always been spittin.

It's easier to admit the truth and just say you'd rather not have Sora over someone else you'd rather want in first. :239: Better than having outright stupid logic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom