• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Mortal Kombat is not a series centered around non-video game characters, while Kingdom Hearts is. It's a series where you travel to various worlds based on Disney movies, and it's hard to represent the series without Disney characters.
And where like 90+% of the main characters are KH OCs anyway, with it revolving mainly around those OCs rather than Mickey, Donald, and Dingo, who are just here to be marketable, have some cool scenes every once in a while, and there was also some times where Mickey actualy advanced the plot, like 3 times. While the KH OCs did it every single other times. And there's also many of those OCs, between the main trio of Sora, Riku, and Kairi, Ansem, Ansem the Wise, Organisation XIII (as their names indicates, they're 13 members of an organisation) + Namine and Xion, Ventus, Vanitas, Aqua, Terra, Eraqus, Xehanort, Young Xehanort, 3 whole different sets of mobs, many more from the 2 mobile games, and Yozora. KH actualy revolves around the original characters, unlike what you believe. I would know, I'm a fan of the series.

Also, "hard to represent the series without Disney characters" is a non-argument because the KH OCs are owned by DIsney, which means that they are Disney characters (yes, the time travelling silver haired pretty anime boy who is depressed over the death of his friends is a Disney character). But even then, why not take a look at the FF representation in Smash 4? You will be surprised.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
With all due respect to DOOM, Doom Guy is just one of those third party characters that only really got serious traction in Smash circles because of DOOM 2016 and other Bethesda games being ported over to Switch. Same thing happened with Crash, who didn't really make it big until Crash N. Sane Trilogy was announced for Switch in the very same Direct Smash Ultimate was teased at.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Did Sakurai outright say at all he enjoyed Fallout and/or Doom?
And if so, what games from those series???

I know for a fact he talked about Half-Life 2 and Halo 2.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I noticed that when a character becomes overspeculated in Smash, it brings out my petty side and I want to see them fail. It happened with Geno and Skull Kid during base game speculation, it's starting to happen with Crash, and of course it happened with Doomguy. It's probably because what I described right now is basically exactly what happened with Decidueye even though I didn't think he was a lock.
And harassing me and my friends because we don't think a character is a lock is a quick way to earn my disdain, so a combination of that and the above is why I don't want Doomguy in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Min Min is like a Fire Emblem character who isn't from Fire Emblem. ARMS didn't do that great as a new IP and wasn't very fun... They should have made it an action platformer or something that isn't a "competitive" over the shoulder fighting game, because I really like the charm of the characters and the weird super hero world they live in. It's super obvious with the buildup to her release that they put her into Smash as a last ditch effort to salvage some profit from ARMS. At least some care was taken with her inclusion.

As a spirit upgrade, she was a hopeful character, and in hindsight, it was a pretty filthy way to start off a pass that would go on to have zero other spirit upgrades, when they knew good and damn well that a lot of people were bummed out by the assist trophy and spirit lineup in this game. Gameplay wise I thought she deconfrmed a Tekken character but otherwise I just don't care. I know a lot of people hate her and it's a frustrating matchup for all of my characters, but there's a lot of finesse involved in playing her and I think time will go on and people will learn to deal with her.

I ****ing love when the topic of Sora comes up because people who really want him will look at people's arguments about how he implicitly requires Disney characters to function and then entirely disregard it and sometimes go as far as to say that he would need no such thing and can just show up by himself and still have anything that makes him unique. One track mind people, they are.

Look, I get it, I was 12 years old once and Kingdom Hearts was the coolest **** around to me, too. Literally the reason I ended up buying a PS2, that and Sly ****ing Cooper. We've all been in those edgy teen years where we want to like Mickey Mouse but also want to show the world how badass we are so we say "no I like Kingdom Hearts for the PLOT and the COOL CHARACTERS and the HOT GIRLS" but deep down we all just wanted to go interact with and sometimes beat up Disney characters because most of us grew up with that ****. The original characters in Kingdom Hearts are more 2D than the literal drawings they're interacting with and the plot is convoluted for no greater purpose than to be an internet meme. Don't get me wrong, Kingdom Hearts 1 is a decent game that holds up great almost 20 years later. I think it should have ended right there, though.

So let me get it out of the way, I hate Sora. I hate his dumb clown shoes, his voice, his goofy weapon, his design in general, ****ing everything about him. I didn't like Sora back when Kingdom Hearts was brand new, but I tolerated him as the somewhat goofy par for the course story vehicle that video games were really fond of back then. The gameplay of Kingdom Hearts is a lot of fun, but I just don't see him bringing anything fun or special to Smash because he's not fun or special.

Also most Sora fans are so insufferable I just genuinely do not want to see them happy ever. He was and still is my number 1 most dreaded character but the close second place is already in the ****ing game now so the fact that I hate him so much is a great boon for his chances.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
As someone who doesn't like KH I hope we get some Disney rep of some sort, because I have 0 interest in a Spirit Board filled with Anime Man with Weird Hair and Dark Cloak #2807. Gimme Donald dammit!!

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
I ****ing love when the topic of Sora comes up because people who really want him will look at people's arguments about how he implicitly requires Disney characters to function and then entirely disregard it and sometimes go as far as to say that he would need no such thing and can just show up by himself and still have anything that makes him unique. One track mind people, they are.

Look, I get it, I was 12 years old once and Kingdom Hearts was the coolest ** around to me, too. Literally the reason I ended up buying a PS2, that and Sly ***ing Cooper. We've all been in those edgy teen years where we want to like Mickey Mouse but also want to show the world how badass we are so we say "no I like Kingdom Hearts for the PLOT and the COOL CHARACTERS and the HOT GIRLS" but deep down we all just wanted to go interact with and sometimes beat up Disney characters because most of us grew up with that *. The original characters in Kingdom Hearts are more 2D than the literal drawings they're interacting with and the plot is convoluted for no greater purpose than to be an internet meme. Don't get me wrong, Kingdom Hearts 1 is a decent game that holds up great almost 20 years later. I think it should have ended right there, though.

So let me get it out of the way, I hate Sora. I hate his dumb clown shoes, his voice, his goofy weapon, his design in general, ****ing everything about him. I didn't like Sora back when Kingdom Hearts was brand new, but I tolerated him as the somewhat goofy par for the course story vehicle that video games were really fond of back then. The gameplay of Kingdom Hearts is a lot of fun, but I just don't see him bringing anything fun or special to Smash because he's not fun or special.

Also most Sora fans are so insufferable I just genuinely do not want to see them happy ever. He was and still is my number 1 most dreaded character but the close second place is already in the ****ing game now so the fact that I hate him so much is a great boon for his chances.
Haha, I feel the same. Though I was only attracted to Kingdom Hearts for the FF characters, and they seemed to have lesser roles after 2.
Also I disagree that Kingdom Hearts 1 holds up well. THe combat's fine, but there's a lot of things I don't like about it now. The platforming segments most of all. KH2 holds up miles better.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
As someone who doesn't like KH I hope we get some Disney rep of some sort, because I have 0 interest in a Spirit Board filled with Anime Man with Weird Hair and Dark Cloak #2807. Gimme Donald dammit!!
I have an answer for you

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I think he said he liked a lot Fallout New Vegas in a Famitsu column but I don't remember him talking about Doom.
Interesting.
After looking a bit myself, I found this.

He's talked about the series for sure.

According to PushDustin, Sakurai enjoyed the crafting and base building elements of Fallout 76.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
After playing DR chapter 2 I got reminded of how much I love the Undertale verse, and while I don't think it's very likely I would absolutely be down for an Undertale/Deltarune character as the final character. Mostly because I want to beat up Incineroar while Attack of the Killer Queen plays in the background tbh

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Interesting.
After looking a bit myself, I found this.

He's talked about the series for sure.

According to PushDustin, Sakurai enjoyed the crafting and base building elements of Fallout 76.
Kinda ironic that it’s Fallout 76, considering the… myriad other problems that game has

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I feel bad arguing that Sora would be fine without Disney characters because the only reason I want him is because I like Donald Duck, but I can’t say that because that’d prove the point that some people want Sora for the Disney stuff. Anyway, I’m not here and was never here to argue that the Kingdom Hearts ethos holds up without Donald Duck (it probably doesn’t), but that you can pick a stage, eleven Spirits and music tracks without resorting to hardcore Disney (you probably can). Whether that’s satisfactory or worth it is not exactly my point either.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Min Min is like a Fire Emblem character who isn't from Fire Emblem. ARMS didn't do that great as a new IP and wasn't very fun... They should have made it an action platformer or something that isn't a "competitive" over the shoulder fighting game, because I really like the charm of the characters and the weird super hero world they live in. It's super obvious with the buildup to her release that they put her into Smash as a last ditch effort to salvage some profit from ARMS. At least some care was taken with her inclusion.

As a spirit upgrade, she was a hopeful character, and in hindsight, it was a pretty filthy way to start off a pass that would go on to have zero other spirit upgrades, when they knew good and damn well that a lot of people were bummed out by the assist trophy and spirit lineup in this game. Gameplay wise I thought she deconfrmed a Tekken character but otherwise I just don't care. I know a lot of people hate her and it's a frustrating matchup for all of my characters, but there's a lot of finesse involved in playing her and I think time will go on and people will learn to deal with her.

Look, I get it, I was 12 years old once and Kingdom Hearts was the coolest ** around to me, too. Literally the reason I ended up buying a PS2, that and Sly ***ing Cooper. We've all been in those edgy teen years where we want to like Mickey Mouse but also want to show the world how badass we are so we say "no I like Kingdom Hearts for the PLOT and the COOL CHARACTERS and the HOT GIRLS" but deep down we all just wanted to go interact with and sometimes beat up Disney characters because most of us grew up with that *. The original characters in Kingdom Hearts are more 2D than the literal drawings they're interacting with and the plot is convoluted for no greater purpose than to be an internet meme. Don't get me wrong, Kingdom Hearts 1 is a decent game that holds up great almost 20 years later. I think it should have ended right there, though.

Who is the close second place already in the game that has earned your ire?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's Min Min's day today!

Min Min is great. To me, she's the most fun Ultimate DLC character to play so far, to the point where she's one of my most used characters. She's super fun.

I also really love ARMS and its cast. Very vibrant, and they help fill out their unexpectedly interesting world and lore. ARMS itself is also super fun.

Min Min just fits into Smash like a glove. I'm super glad ARMS secured its spot on the roster, as it genuinely felt like a huge omission due to the timing prior to her inclusion. Here's hoping the next Smash game, whenever that may be, expands the ARMS roster even further. Maybe then we can get Spring Man into the game as well.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Hot take:

I don’t really like the idea of Doomguy in Smash. If he were in Mortal Kombat as a guest tho, that I can totally get behind

let’s just say I perceive it as image issues and call it a day
I take it you are also against the idea of a Mortal Kombat character for Smash then? I can totally understand that but I don’t think DOOM is all that much worse than Bayonetta personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom