• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Since everyone seems to be posting figures of their most wanted, I might as well join in.

1632934136547.jpeg

Sadly, there are no figures of Zegram or Magus but all three Toads have an official figure from the 90’s.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm not sure how else a multi weapon character could be implemented... Snake for instance has the various weapons assigned to each direction... Mega man.... They're all like this. Unless it was another scroll menu or something5(which I hate and why I don't use Herol...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm not sure how else a multi weapon character could be implemented... Snake for instance has the various weapons assigned to each direction... Mega man.... They're all like this. Unless it was another scroll menu or something5(which I hate and why I don't use Herol...
I'd say the best way is swapping movesets as weapons would only need a need a new model and animations
Asking for more information or some corroboration is "defensive"? Break me off a piece of that kit kat bar.
Considering how you acted yesterday about Cacomallow on top of this, yes, I'd say you're surprisingly defensive about fake leaks, yes.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
So then, Byleth discussion. I'm going to say it.
Fire Emblem bad. :troll:

My actual serious thoughts on Byleth is that I actually enjoy playing as most anime sword characters and some of the FE characters like Lucina, Ike, Roy and Chrom so my opinions aren't negative on Fire Emblem's characters as a whole (I was only bummed out at first because I was expecting a smaller third party pick like Terry), but Byleth doesn't click with me. I generally don't enjoy the moveset because of how slow and clunky the character feels. That's my biggest problem with the character.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Oh, I see we have an expert? Do you mind elaborating upon how you know so well that you used two periods in the span of four words?
Anyone claiming that Byleth was originally supposed to be Monster Hunter, because absolutely zero of Byleth's moves are even close to any movein a monster hunter game.
Yes, they have a bow, but they work differently.
There are no Whip Sword's in Monster Hunter
In Rise and World, there is a grappling hook, but again it works nothing like Byleth's.
The Axe, I suppose is slightly close to some moves. Dair being similar to an aerial great Sword Swing, and Down B and Down Smash being similar to some Switch Skills in Rise (but that would be a really random reference).
There is no weapon that functions like Byleth's spear

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
No. They are not.
You know what's an even more inaccurate rumor?

The one that went around before Byleth was revealed that Cp5 was actually supposed to be Tracer from Overwatch but because of the Blitzhchung situation and how they reacted to their games' competitive players supporting the Hong Kong protests, Nintendo dropped Tracer and rushed Byleth. Some went so far as to try to find evidence to support this, such as how Sothis's "model" in Byleth's FS looks way too much like a PNG, and how some of the background characters don't show as much personality..

Idk if you're familiar with this rumor, Puppy, but yea. LOL
I think this """"rumor"""" has been brought up here (and ferociously mocked) before, too.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
If you mean that one he showed in the presentation, pretty sure that is an official one people can buy online and all.
Yeah those are official from Goodsmile, but can be very hard to get (had to import mine from AmiAmi) and only after they got into Smash, are you able to get them from geekstores in your country that work with Goodsmile (although they are once again sold out, but whats more insane its the statue's 3rd reprint run!)

Although what makes me wonder regarding figure theory, does Byleth have merchandise?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I guess that's true... but name a neutral character that originates from the 2020s.
THAT'S A [[Little Sponge]] MINDSET! A [[Big Shot]] DOES WHATEVER HE NEEDS TO GET [[A Lovely Vacation]]. IS IT EVIL TO WANT [[Hyperlink Blocked]]? IS IT GOOD TO [[Steal their Heart]]? I DON'T CARE, ALL I NEED IS [[ On Sale Now for 5.99 [[Kromer]]]]

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe someone should explain why the 'Byleth started as Monster Hunter' claim is so incredulous, instead of just snipping at each other?

I would myself if I had more time atm. I mean the very short version is the timing doesn't make sense.

D

Deleted member

I'd say the best way is swapping movesets as weapons would only need a need a new model and animations

Considering how you acted yesterday about Cacomallow on top of this, yes, I'd say you're surprisingly defensive about fake leaks, yes.
I called you out for being unnecessarily condescending about the leak and in the same 5 minute interval someone else illustrated how to constructively talk about it in hindsight. I'm a curious person and I genuinely want to hear what people have to say in regards to whether or not they think a leak or a rumor has any bearing in reality. Just because you don't have any facts to back up your opinions doesn't mean you have to flip through the big book of internet argument terms and pick "defensive" to describe my nature.

Anyone claiming that Byleth was originally supposed to be Monster Hunter, because absolutely zero of Byleth's moves are even close to any movein a monster hunter game.
Yes, they have a bow, but they work differently.
There are no Whip Sword's in Monster Hunter
In Rise and World, there is a grappling hook, but again it works nothing like Byleth's.
The Axe, I suppose is slightly close to some moves. Dair being similar to an aerial great Sword Swing, and Down B and Down Smash being similar to some Switch Skills in Rise (but that would be a really random reference).
There is no weapon that functions like Byleth's spear
If my memory serves me, no one's ever overtly made the claim that there was an outright replacement, but seeing the Rise footage last year coupled with a claim that Capcom failed to follow up on a Monster Hunter character in Smash just lead to that train of speculation. The little bug grappling thing really feels like a decent analog to Byleth's Up B, and generally speaking, I know Monster Hunter for being full of outlandish weapons made from spoils of killing dragons... And that's about all. I played 10 minutes of Monster Hunter before getting bored and declaring it was not for me.

There's a good chance that there's zero validity to the rumor but Imran Khan's the guy who brought it up and people tend to trust him or entirely disregard him depending on the whether. If there's solid fact to back up that he's just outright wrong about it then I just want to read it is all.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Which is why a puppy orphanage is set on fire every time someone pretends Black Mage would be a fantastic FF character instead of Vivi
Honestly, any character from IX would make for an awesome Smash fighter. Zidane has a unique dual bladed weapon. Garnet and Eiko are both white mages and summoners which could be really cool. Freya would be the first pole arm user and has cool dragon skills. Vivi is just iconic and we could use more mages. Quina could be a spin on Kirby and Amarant has cool chakra skills. Even Steiner would be pretty unique compared to the other sword users.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The whole “Byleth started as Monster Hunter” feels like a pathetic attempt to delegitimize Byleth’s addition by saying he must’ve been a back-up for a “better choice”
Yeah I highly doubt there’s any truth at all to that. Byleth would make a cool base for a Monster Hunter mod though.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Which is why a puppy orphanage is set on fire every time someone pretends Black Mage would be a fantastic FF character instead of Vivi
Black Mage would be a fantastic FF character instead of Vivi

:troll:

Maybe someone should explain why the 'Byleth started as Monster Hunter' claim is so incredulous, instead of just snipping at each other?

I would myself if I had more time atm. I mean the very short version is the timing doesn't make sense.
It's a silly conspiracy theory based off a questionable rumour that is honestly only taken seriously because of how polarizing Byleth is. People are allowed to not like the character, but this feels like straight up denial of the reality that Byleth was always meant to close off this Fighter Pass.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I called you out for being unnecessarily condescending about the leak and in the same 5 minute interval someone else illustrated how to constructively talk about it in hindsight. I'm a curious person and I genuinely want to hear what people have to say in regards to whether or not they think a leak or a rumor has any bearing in reality. Just because you don't have any facts to back up your opinions doesn't mean you have to flip through the big book of internet argument terms and pick "defensive" to describe my nature.
Getting upset about Cacomallow being deemed fake by saying "It was believable how dare you pretend it was unreasonable to give it the benefit of doubt" when people made it clear their issue was how long people insisted it must be deemed potentially real and getting passive aggressive yourself when someone who knows what they're talking about dismisses the conspiracy theory that a character we got replaced a character who's barely similar at all for a reason that makes no sense would indeed have you get labelled as defensive. Trying to play the 'you have no facts' card works both ways too, although there are more than 0 facts that prove why Hunter being replaced by Byleth makes no sense, which can't be said for the conspiracy theory seemingly made up solely to drum up hate for Byleth

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
The whole “Byleth started as Monster Hunter” feels like a pathetic attempt to delegitimize Byleth’s addition by saying he must’ve been a back-up for a “better choice”
The fact that the community is now somehow saying that Byleth is a good addition after reacting so poorly to his reveal and him being the 8th ****ing character in a series that never needed more than 2 is confusing to me.

Monster Hunter being a better character doesn't even have anything to do with that argument. I honestly don't think he would have been, people are just theorizing it because he has a similar moveset.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
To keep on the topic of Byleth, I feel like, unlike with the other FE character who was DLC to represent a newer game, history will be kinder to the character considering just how well-beloved Three Houses is.

The fact that the community is now somehow saying that Byleth is a good addition after reacting so poorly to his reveal and him being the 8th ****ing character in a series that never needed more than 2 is confusing to me.
Three Houses is a really well-received title.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To keep on the topic of Byleth, I feel like, unlike with the other FE character who was DLC to represent a newer game, history will be kinder to the character considering just how well-beloved Three Houses is.
Not to mention 3H was already available worldwide when Byleth was announced. When Corrin was announced, Fates was only out in Japan at the time

Gengar84

Smash Hero
With the rumored Final Fantasy IX cartoon in development, I’m curious if they would go with someone from that game if we ever got a third FF character. I wonder if they’d go with Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, or someone else.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
An alternate take on a multi-weapon user could involve assigning a special to swap weapons, but at that point it'd be similar to Pokemon Trainer or Pyra/Mythra. Pyra/Mythra at least have the benefit of their normals mainly differing in terms of speed and damage output, with similar animations. So a weapon-swapper who changes out their whole moveset could get complicated, both in terms of balance and development time.

Still, there are some really fun examples of this in action RPGs. Ludger from Tales of Xilia 2 has a mechanic like that, and he can get some nasty combos by switching between his dual blades, dual pistols, and hammer:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Well, the community warmed up to the character. It happens. Byleth is not a bad or poorly designed character. Its just a character caught in a bad situation.

D

Deleted member

Getting upset about Cacomallow being deemed fake by saying "It was believable how dare you pretend it was unreasonable to give it the benefit of doubt" when people made it clear their issue was how long people insisted it must be deemed potentially real and getting passive aggressive yourself when someone who knows what they're talking about dismisses the conspiracy theory that a character we got replaced a character who's barely similar at all for a reason that makes no sense would indeed have you get labelled as defensive. Trying to play the 'you have no facts' card works both ways too, although there are more than 0 facts that prove why Hunter being replaced by Byleth makes no sense, which can't be said for the conspiracy theory seemingly made up solely to drum up hate for Byleth
If there's more than 0 facts to prove it, then why not bring a few?

In all honesty most people have unintentionally replied to my musing by now lmao. "Would Byleth be more accepted if he were anyone else" is basically what I asked and it's looking like a resounding yes.

As for cacomallow there's a lot of nuance to why people didn't buy into some **** like Geesecube being an acceptable "proof" about complex mii hats but maybe you overlooked the whole conversation about the compression issue or the thing that I brought up that active modders at the time said it wasn't something that could be done/easily done with the methods available at the time. I don't know how Doom Guy people reacted to it but Geno people generally gave it a shelf life and dropped it after that, with some limited memes keeping it alive. Sorry if you fell for ****posts and now you're mad about it.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Not to mention 3H was already available worldwide when Byleth was announced. When Corrin was announced, Fates was only out in Japan at the time
Yup, had Robin been the last FE newcomer added before Byleth was DLC, Byleth would have been very well-received as the last character since that is the only big reason why he got so much hate. The most amount of hate would have come from those that preferred a different Three Houses character.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Monster Hunter being a better character doesn't even have anything to do with that argument. I honestly don't think he would have been, people are just theorizing it because he has a similar moveset.
I liked Byleth since the start (for the very simple and subjective reason that I played Three Houses and liked it), so I can’t speak on the change in opinion you’re describing.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
And before people call me out for being a Waluigi supporter. The Mario franchise is actually missing a few important/popular characters namely Waluigi and Toad.

For Fire Emblem, it's just "lets add the 57th random blue haired sword character with no personality just because a new Fire Emblem game came out and needs to be promtoed"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom