• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
HMs are actually confirmed to be used by wild pokemon that you summon so you don't have to waste a party or move slot.
HMs are handled like the Ride Pokemon in Gen 7 and you can unlock following Pokemon after accessing that area
Actually the HMs simply need to be unlocked as it's like the Ride Pokemon in Sun and Moon so you don't need to waste a move slot and Amity Square merely unlocks following Pokemon
Well there goes all my complaints! I kind of question why they didn't put that part in the trailer, but that's pretty hype.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I kinda wish we had more Echo fighters, and it was essentially confirmed Echoes wouldn’t be DLC. Maybe next game (especially if it’s somehow an expanded edition of Ultimate or otherwise builds off it with EVERYONE IS BACK)

Violet as a Joker Echo seems like an obvious pick especially with the “Jane” with the ponytail in his file

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I kinda wish we had more Echo fighters, and it was essentially confirmed Echoes wouldn’t be DLC. Maybe next game (especially if it’s somehow an expanded edition of Ultimate or otherwise builds off it with EVERYONE IS BACK)

Violet as a Joker Echo seems like an obvious pick especially with the “Jane” with the ponytail in his file
Remember that the Echoes do work a bit different compared to their counterpart. Chrom sword isn't like Roy's sword being stronger up close. Dark Samus's smash attacks have a larger hitbox compared to Samus.

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
Well if we doing retrospective on Smash Ultimate, I got to ask

-What was your Favorite Leak/Rumor/Theory in Smash Ultimate Speculation?

-What was your Least Favorite Leak/Rumor/Theory in Smash Ultimate Speculation?
Favorite:
Grinch Leak.

Enough said. You were either on the "it's real" team or "it's' fake" team. So much so that Gamexplain made an angry video about it.

Least Favorite:
Anything from Vergeben. Even though he got some of them right (Simon, Isabelle, Ken, Terry and Steve eventually), his timings would be way off.
But what I didn't like was that people would following him like some sort of messiah.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Is it Terry’s day now?

Not a Huge fan of the fighter, but I liked the stage

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sooo still no update on that mystery “leak” the MC thread was talking about yesterday huh

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Favorite leak/theory def the purple color stuff that was legit exciting for the two hours it lasted lol still brandishing my purple S after all.... Least favorite uhhhh haven't been here long enough to have a least favorite.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Favorite leak is the Ken leak thanks to its sheer indisputability and the fact that I was here for it minute-by-minute.

Least favorite is that damn box thanks to its similar indisputability coupled with the intense desire not to believe it and as a result, both my and others' confirmation bias-induced denial. I know you can argue it technically wasn't a "leak" but it did unintentionally confirm information so I think it qualifies.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
1 Week remaining

Terry Bogard: The Legendary Hungry Wolf from the King of Fighters series representing SNK. Which was partially spoiled due to Nintendo's part prior on Challenger 4 reveal. Oops.

One of the oldest fighting game classics that Sakurai started his idea of creating Super Smash Bros to be friendly for everyone that couldn't play complex controls.
Day 5: Terry :ult_terry:

Now this was kind of unexpected. Three days before the September 2019 Nintendo Direct, someone noticed an SNK copyright on a webpage for Challenger Pack #4. An SNK rep managed to fly under the radar for most, so this was certainly a surprise to see. As many surmised after this accidental leak, the SNK rep would end up being Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury, killing any of the suspense on which SNK character would grab the letter in his reveal trailer.

I was aware of Terry’s existence prior to this, but I didn’t really have any attachment to him. I pretty much only saw him in Capcom vs. SNK 2 and understood him as one of the faces of Capcom's fighting game rival SNK. One thing I remember stating to myself after his reveal was “He will be cool if he gets access to a super meter”. This is something that I would have liked on Ryu and Ken (specifically a Super Turbo style super meter), and I felt that having access to a super meter outside of the Final Smash would make him much more interesting.

As fate would have it, Terry got his own form of a super meter that let him unleash super attacks at above 100% damage. It turns out I was right about the super meter as well: it made him much more interesting to watch and play as than his fellow input characters Ryu and Ken. When Terry first launched, I had a blast playing as him and learning his specials and super moves, and I can thank him for helping me understanding other special move inputs in traditional fighting games as well.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Ken was the best one, an actual legit in game screenshot with dev tools and the like to comb over is fun.

Grinch was the absolute worst and it's not really up for debate. Cacomallow and the clown show with Verg/BigboyonSolidWater/Sabi are close behind. Cacomallow was full of denial but at least it wasn't literally going against word of God because it had "The Most Desirable Outcome"™ nor a flock of chuds that quickly disappeared. The clown show was just that, a clown show but it didn't even have the decency of being funny.

What leak were the MC peeps taking about?
It was just a "Oh a guy says he's heard of this but he hasn't actually seen it but he still made a vid about it"
At least it was barely 5 minutes to skip through to find it was literally nothing.

Like if Nintendo actually ****ed up again, way more people would catch it.
I'd say clout chasers are dumb but 5 minutes doesn't even bring in ad revenue, so the guy's just a dumbass

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Terry is objectively the best when it comes to any challenger pack, an incredibly fun stage, a ludicrous amount of songs and a character seemingly designed around freeform combos lending to a lot of jab jab power dunks and player expression. You're out of your damn mind if you think otherwise, it's saying a lot when the worst things about Terry are his uob not snapping to the ledge and the songs not having Krauser's theme
Terry's Challenger Pack only needed his Garou jacket and at least a Garou track to be 10/10 for me. I'll never forgive Sakurai for that.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Well if we doing retrospective on Smash Ultimate, I got to ask

-What was your Favorite Leak/Rumor/Theory in Smash Ultimate Speculation?

-What was your Least Favorite Leak/Rumor/Theory in Smash Ultimate Speculation?

Favorite would have to be the Grinch Leak, the epic saga it was and all of the theories being thrown around! It was truly a once in a decade event that nothing else truly lived up to! The SNK leak was also hilarious and also kinda fun!

Least favorite is definitely a tie between CacoMallow, Milk-BOSATU (got tired of all of the f****** weebs insisting that Reimu was a lock), and all of the KOS-MOS leaks during the FP5 slog. Alongside the Geno drama caused by CacoMallow, it added even more fuel to the "Doom Slayer is the ONLY possible Bethesda rep!" fire that raged throughout 2019. And as a Dragonborn supporter, this got annoying extremely quickly. As for the KOS-MOS leaks, seeing an extremely unlikely character like her suddenly become a speculation darling and insistence that an extremely niche character would be shown at the GAME AWARDS of all things only made it worse. In fact, it was downright stressful!

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Yo guys I should make a fake leak saying someone like MC or Kratos is the final fighter

I think if would be funny

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Ranking the DLC characters so far? Uhhh here's mine

:ultjoker: > :ultbyleth: > :ultsephiroth: > :ultpyra: > :ult_terry: > :ulthero: > :ultsteve: > :ultminmin > :ultkazuya: > :ultbanjokazooie:

1 Week remaining

Terry Bogard: The Legendary Hungry Wolf from the King of Fighters series representing SNK. Which was partially spoiled due to Nintendo's part prior on Challenger 4 reveal. Oops.

One of the oldest fighting game classics that Sakurai started his idea of creating Super Smash Bros to be friendly for everyone that couldn't play complex controls.
I had played KOF 13 briefly before Terry's reveal, so going into it I knew who he was, but didn't have much of a connection to him. That said, he's grown on me a lot, thanks to his fighting style, music, and overall charm.

Terry is easily the most fun of the fighting game characters for me. He's the most accessible compared to Ryu/Ken (and definitely compared to Kazuya), and he has a lighthearted charm to him that I don't see as much in the other FGC dudes. Pulling off the super moves is a blast to do if you can time it right. His stage is probably my favorite from a conceptual standpoint -- even if I don't play it as much as some of the more standard stages, I love how the breaking walls introduce a whole new way to play the game. It goes without saying that his massive library of music is also a major plus. All in all, he's a solid pack that did a good job showing off SNK's content.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
In hindsight I could‘ve stopped caring about Smash after Plant and my experience with the game wouldn’t have been much different. Only really care a Byleth out of all of them. Very much not Nintendo’s fault since I do not play games out of my comfort zone of Mario-adjacent series but yeah

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Now that I can post this a little later than I normally do, I can finally ask a question without being left in the dark of night.
Seeing as speculation finally comes to an end around this time next week, do you have any regrets from this hype cycle?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Can we also talk about Terry's render, too?
Dude's pose is chef's kiss

The renders imo should capture the character's personality, and Terry's does just that imo

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Now that I can post this a little later than I normally do, I can finally ask a question without being left in the dark of night.
Seeing as speculation finally comes to an end around this time next week, do you have any regrets from this hype cycle?
My biggest regret is that I was apathetic at best and repulsed at worst by the speculation community which resulted in me not participating in it.
...I wasn't exactly wrong to feel that way to be fair

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Slight copy-paste from my ranking before.
:ultsimon: = :ultrichter: > :ultkrool: = :ultdaisy: = :ultbanjokazooie: > :ultridley: > :ultsteve: > :ultpiranha: > :ultminmin = :ultdarksamus: = :ultken: = :ultsephiroth: = :ultkazuya: > :ultinkling: = :ult_terry: = :ultincineroar: > :ultjoker: = :ultchrom:

and now the members of the Wasted Opportunity Family
Isabelle
:ultincineroar: > :ultisabelle: > :ultjoker:
If she ditched Villager's moves and had more attacks based on unrepresented Animal Crossing mechanics, (i.e. fruits, bells, ordinances, literally anything) her placement would be :ultbanjokazooie: > :ultisabelle: > :ultridley:.

Hero
:ultjoker: = :ulthero: = :ultchrom:
Change command menu to be a small, consistent, set of unique spells as opposed to a randomly determined set from a pool of "existing specials and spirit/item effect" spells and drop the MP gimmick or redo its implementation, and his placement would be :ultridley: > :ulthero: > :ultsteve:

Pyra and Mythra
:ult_terry: > :ultpyra::ultmythra: > :ultincineroar:
Revamp them to have a more unique spin on the character-change mechanic and her placement would be :ultpiranha: > :ultpyra: :ultmythra: > :ultminmin

MattX20

Smash Hero
1 Week remaining

I friggen loved the trailer, and Terry's a lot of fun to play as. The amount of content easily was the icing on the cake. To this day, no other DLC character has come with more content than Terry did.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Feels odd to rank the second pass before it's done, but sure, I suppose. From favorite to least favorite (though unlike with the first pass, I don't dislike my least favorite; Min Min is fine.)

:ultkazuya: > :ultsteve: > :ultpyra: > :ultsephiroth: > :ultminmin

Overall...

:ultkazuya: > :ult_terry: > :ultsteve: > :ulthero3: > :ultpyra: > :ultsephiroth: > :ultbanjokazooie: > :ultminmin > :ultjoker: > :ultbyleth:

Byleth is the only one here I have a less-than-neutral opinion of. I'll spare you the whining, however.
I'm pretty indifferent with regards to Joker and Min Min. Everyone ahead of Min Min is a varying degree of positivity.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
CP4 isn't even a Terry pack bro it's just an SNK pack

NO ONE PACK HAS DONE THAT ONG

inb4 another company does this, such as Falcom or Level-5

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So anyway, Terry. This marks the fourth character in the DLC that I have 0 connection to. lol

Of the fighting game characters, he's the easiest to play, which makes him the most fun at lower skill levels. This does seem to have the awkward side effect of making him a little bit "brain dead" in competitive play since he's a whiff punish character that can give you 40% or more from a simple jab that sometimes gets auto corrected for you though, so the moveset could use a little tweaking, as well as the auto turnaround mechanic in general.

Beyond that though, King of Fighters stadium is a really fun stage. Oddly, or I guess fittingly, it's kinda wonky in free for alls, and is much better at handling 1v1s. I also have to give points for the 50 music tracks, even if I don't particularly like very many of them.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Terry's Challenger Pack my favorite so far even if the fighter himself is only my second-favorite among the DLC. It's not even a contest. I could elaborate but those above have done my job for me.

Reimu could totally get away with a similar dump truck of content. Fingers crossed~

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
drop the MP gimmick or redo its implementation
This is the first time I've seen anyone criticize this, the whole point of MP is that it forces Hero to approach and/or actually think about what spells to use and when, the fact it's a limited resource allows them to pack a punch. Unless of course, you want Hero to set up Bounce all the time while tossing a Kaboom constantly with no drawbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom