• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wouldn’t be counting on sora anyway in my opinion. The thing with sora is that there’s a big thing currently standing in his way which the tournament theory.

tournament theory suggests the last fighter wields Both a sword and gun. We’ve had multiple brawler tournaments events And we’ve not had a sword event or a gunner event yet which implies the last character wields both.

thats sora’s big hurdle as he doesn’t have a gun. Tournament theory could be wrong though, just hasn’t been wrong yet
A fighter can have a tourney themed after any number of things. There's no reason to look at "missing themes" and say that that's what the final fighter fits.

Even if this theory did have merit, we have things like tourneys themed after characters born in the '80s-2010's, which would mean that the final character would have to be from 2020, or 2021. Or from various other tourneys, the final fighter can't use explosives, or their arms, or pilot a vehicle, or not have projectiles, or be light, or heavy, or use tools, or have a hat, or be a Pokémon (of which has had multiple tourneys), or attack with their head, or their body, or be royalty, or hero, or villian, or...OK I'm sorry, I think you get the point: Literally nobody fits this criteria.

Also for all we know the final fighter's tourney is called "Everyone is Finally Here!" with the participants being all of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's newcomers, or even just everyone on the roster.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
9 days remaining

Hero: The grandfather that started the RPG games and the most RNG character

One of the two characters revealed at E3 2019 that caused mixed reactions and another "Anime Swordman" salt for some people.
I'll post my thoughts on Hero as well.

Day 3: Hero :ulthero:

This reveal was very disappointing for me at first. An insider had hinted at Banjo coming as DLC, and here Hero was to rain on his parade. Or so we thought. It didn’t help that Hero had been heavily hinted at by insiders and even the game’s files, making his inclusion very unsurprising. Don’t get me wrong, I knew the importance that Dragon Quest had on gaming, but I had zero attachment to this character.

When he was revealed, he was the most predictable, milk-toast inclusion. Everybody expected Hero, specifically Erdrick, because of the codename leak from that January, and, since I had no personal connection to the series, I had zero excitement for his inclusion. But then, something changed…

The first Sakurai presents had aired a day before Hero's released and was revealed on a Sunday night of all times. During this Presents, Hero was then revealed to have the most insane RNG-based kit in the entire cast, which made him look absolutely busted at first. I was split on the idea at first. That is until I got my hands on him. Hero did a complete 180 when he proved to be the most fun character in this game. Down-B and Crits are the funniest things ever, and I have a blast every time I play this character. Now, I’m not terribly good at Hero, which is why he’s not my main, but I would be lying if I said I don’t play him a lot.

However, Hero presented a bigger problem with his inclusion in two different ways. Firstly, there was a hot debate shortly after Hero was released on whether or not Hero should be banned from tournaments due to his overturned skills. This looks stupid now because what people failed to realize is that Hero rarely is able to get access to the broken stuff and his normals are pretty bad all things considered. The second debate, however, has a lot more merit to it. Hero's Down-B spells are listed by name next to his icon on the HUD, but, due to the language barrier, a local player who does not speak that language won't be able to tell what spell Hero is using, giving them an unfair disadvantage. This could easily be solved by having icons next to the spells denoting what it is, and the fact that this has gone over two years without being patched kind of surprises me. I sincerely hope this issue is addressed at some point, but I am starting to doubt it ever will.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also

allow me to introduce to you the concept of ✨ parallel universes ✨

like I’m 100% time travel/dimension hopping shenanigans were involved between Hero and Sephiroth’s trailers, would explain why Arus is in the latter trailer and nobody’s possessed

or if you wanna get real meta and pull an Undertale, it’s the player resetting after the first bad end where Dharkon reigns, then enter Galeem about to yeet everyone from existence before the slice

then after Sephiroth’s trailer, player resets once again setting the stage for the true ending

…my brain hurts now
Actually they don’t reset just yet after Sephiroth’s trailer. Pyra’s takes place afterwards, explaining the former being in the latter’s gameplay segment. Then surprise, Kazuya shows up and has presumably already chucked Pyra/Mythra into the volcano before his trailer proper starts and THEN is when the player resets

…have I gone too deep? W͈̭̦̥̘̱h͟a̝̣̪͚͎t̢̝̹̯̻̮̳̤ ͏i̵͍͚s̤̮͕̣̳ ̡͍͈̼̭̘e̩̬̦͜x̫͈̩i̲̠̪̮͉͖s̫̩̦t̰̻͕̬̰̩͘ͅe̱̠ͅṇ͖̭̠͇̺̪c̝͔̟͖̩͕e͕͇

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
We’ve had 3 sword users in this pass so far and not 1 sword tournament

We’ve had no gunners in this pass yet and no gunner tournament so far.

chances are the last character might be wielding both

they held of the brawler tournament until kazuya’s reveal (the stamina tournament I believe it’s called) when They could’ve done the tournament at any point but they held that off specifically until kazuya’s reveal which to me says the last fighter wields a gun and sword since we’ve not had 1 gunner or sword tournament yet.
The one thing I have to say is while we didn't have a Gunner tourney per say, we did have a Very Similiar tourney in concept already

Ballistic Barrage - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki (ssbwiki.com)

Keep in mind that alot of the Projectile users in this game aren't actually gunners, but use either Magical or other type of weaponry as opposed to Gunner like Projectiles. So to be honest, I don't think the absense of a Gunner tourney is that suspicous

Now a Sword Fighter Tourney is suspicious, especially since there was this tourney

Tools of the Trade - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki (ssbwiki.com)

While this does have Sword Users in it, all of those Sword users are the ones that use other weaponry (The Links). This tourney had all the Weapon users in it, excluding the Swordfighters. With all the characters that use swords, It's hard to believe there wouldn't be a tourney based around swords, and the lack of them in this tourney does kinda suggest we will get one in the future

Now the thing is that we got the 2010's tourney after Kazuya was revealed, though since it was before he released, it was still apart of Pyra/Mythra's Tourney lineup, who are 2010's characters

We could still get the Swordfighter tourney before we get the next character released. It could be the next tourney we actually get, but it's still suspicious though. The other thing to question is why we didn't get this tourney after Pyra/Mythra, if they are the Last Swordfighter in this Fighter Pass.

With tourneys like the Fire Tourney or the 2010's tourney, we got those tourney after all the characters that fit the criteria did get in. Having the Swordfighter tourney after Kazuya is kind of weird with all of that being said, since he doesn't use a Sword and is like the opposite of a Sword user. It's kind of suggesting CP11 is a Sword user

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I wouldn’t be counting on sora anyway in my opinion. The thing with sora is that there’s a big thing currently standing in his way which the tournament theory.

tournament theory suggests the last fighter wields Both a sword and gun. We’ve had multiple brawler tournaments events And we’ve not had a sword event or a gunner event yet which implies the last character wields both.

thats sora’s big hurdle as he doesn’t have a gun. Tournament theory could be wrong though, just hasn’t been wrong yet
I've said this before, but the entire idea behind Tourney theory seems to be that certain ones are being held off for characters who apply to them. Min Min not tying in with the reflector tourney just shows that they are fine not holding anything off. Tell me if I'm way off, but if you explain basically what I said but in different words, then it shows that still perpetuating tourney theory just seems to be so that certain characters can seem less likely than others. Min Min shows that the aspects I think I know of at least, are completely arbitrary.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Y'know, Officer Howard technically wields both a gun and a sword like weapon through the x-baton (blaster and gladius-mode).:smirk:

(no, I don't think this means anything)

7NATOR

Smash Master
I've said this before, but the entire idea behind Tourney theory seems to be that certain ones are being held off for characters who apply to them. Min Min not tying in with the reflector tourney just shows that they are fine not holding anything off. Tell me if I'm way off, but if you explain basically what I said but in different words, then it shows that still perpetuating tourney theory just seems to be so that certain characters can seem less likely than others. Min Min shows that the aspects I think I know of at least, are completely arbitrary.
Yeah not all tourneys are held off for specific characters, as many people said with the 90's tourney with Sephiroth. You could have also mentioned the Many faces tourney Pyra/Mythra had with Alternate costume characters, with the Next character being Kazuya...a Character with an Alternate Costume

I think each tourney has to be looked at differently, as some would suggest them being held off. The Fire tourney as an example is confirmed to have been held of since it's Tourney ID is much older than when the tourney actually came, implying it was held off for Pyra and Sephiroth, who have Fire Special Moves

The 2010's tourney was suspicious since the other Era tourneys were being done, yet the 2010's tourney was being delayed for a Long, Long time, perhaps implying that decade wasn't done getting characters. It took an actual year before the 2010's came after the last Decade tourney, when the Other Decade tourneys had a gap of about 2-4 months.

The Sword tourney kind of falls under the same Umbrella I'm thinking. Smash is Famous/Infamous for it's amount of Swords, and DLC constantly adds new ones, and the Tool Tourney excluding Sword users mostly, when it had all the other Weapon types kind of suggests we are gonna get a Swordfighter tourney in the future. the question is why hasn't it happened

Also I say this as someone that doesn't actually want the Swordfighter tourney to mean anything. My Most wanted doesn't use a Sword. except for the times he did, but not usual

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I don't know how trustworthy the tournament theory really is, but I agree that's extremely strange we still didn't get a sword tournament.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Byleth (last FP1 fighter) -> old weapon master (sword, axe, lance, bow)

CP11 (last FP2 fighter) -> modern weapon master

Thats how Master Chief wins.

J/K but would like a character that is a pure gunner with lots of different weapons. I imagine sci-fi weapons are more easy for CERO rating than real guns.

Doomslayer, Master Chief, Gordon Freeman, Stg Cortez, Chris/Jill/Leon, Marco, Bill and Lance, whatever, just give us a shooter (first/third) rep.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Yeah not all tourneys are held off for specific characters, as many people said with the 90's tourney with Sephiroth. You could have also mentioned the Many faces tourney Pyra/Mythra had with Alternate costume characters, with the Next character being Kazuya...a Character with an Alternate Costume

I think each tourney has to be looked at differently, as some would suggest them being held off. The Fire tourney as an example is confirmed to have been held of since it's Tourney ID is much older than when the tourney actually came, implying it was held off for Pyra and Sephiroth, who have Fire Special Moves

The 2010's tourney was suspicious since the other Era tourneys were being done, yet the 2010's tourney was being delayed for a Long, Long time, perhaps implying that decade wasn't done getting characters. It took an actual year before the 2010's came after the last Decade tourney, when the Other Decade tourneys had a gap of about 2-4 months.

The Sword tourney kind of falls under the same Umbrella I'm thinking. Smash is Famous/Infamous for it's amount of Swords, and DLC constantly adds new ones, and the Tool Tourney excluding Sword users mostly, when it had all the other Weapon types kind of suggests we are gonna get a Swordfighter tourney in the future. the question is why hasn't it happened

Also I say this as someone that doesn't actually want the Swordfighter tourney to mean anything. My Most wanted doesn't use a Sword. except for the times he did, but not usual
So it's pretty much just for the ones that are missing? IDK, I think the reflector tourney still throws a wrench into this either way as it easily could have been held off for Min Min when it happened pretty close to when she actually released. I don't think its a case by case basis as much as it is just Nintendo being weird about tourneys, although I will say I've been kinda puzzled at the absence of a sword tourney too. They had the melee oriented characters tourney a while back so it definitely is somewhat bizarre to say the least.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Maybe the logic could also hint at Squall (since he uses a gunblade, even though it only functions like a vibroblade and never a gun)?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Byleth (last FP1 fighter) -> old weapon master (sword, axe, lance, bow)

CP11 (last FP2 fighter) -> modern weapon master

Thats how Master Chief wins.

J/K but would like a character that is a pure gunner with lots of different weapons. I imagine sci-fi weapons are more easy for CERO rating than real guns.

Doomslayer, Master Chief, Gordon Freeman, Stg Cortez, Chris/Jill/Leon, Marco, Bill and Lance, whatever, just give us a shooter (first/third) rep.
Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium liked that.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Do you think there's a chance we get something like the Dread suit for Samus in this game? I mean as an actual alt. Same for Bayonetta's new look.

I obviously don't expect it, but if Cloud got that Final Smash update, I don't think it's entirely out of the question, even if that was kinda different because Sephiroth was a FFVII character so there was a connection there. I doubt CP11 is going to be a Metroid/Bayonetta character, but still.

I was just thinking about it after remembering the update Cloud got.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Do you think there's a chance we get something like the Dread suit for Samus in this game? I mean as an actual alt. Same for Bayonetta's new look.

I obviously don't expect it, but if Cloud got that Final Smash update, I don't think it's entirely out of the question, even if that was kinda different because Sephiroth was a FFVII character so there was a connection there. I doubt CP11 is going to be a Metroid/Bayonetta character, but still.

In this game?
Sadly no.

I don't think they're planning anything for old characters unless the final DLC character is the armored chozo general.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Not sure what prompted them to do the Final Smash update for Cloud, but it didn't exactly give anything new besides a different Final Smash since Cloud already had his AC costume. Whereas the Dread Suit or Bayonetta's 3 design would be entirely new alternate costumes for their respective characters. And considering we have not received a single DLC alternate costume for a non-Mii character, I don't see them getting their new looks until next game.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Not sure what prompted them to do the Final Smash update for Cloud, but it didn't exactly give anything new besides a different Final Smash since Cloud already had his AC costume. Whereas the Dread Suit or Bayonetta's 3 design would be entirely new alternate costumes for their respective characters. And considering we have not received a single DLC alternate costume for a non-Mii character, I don't see them getting their new looks until next game.
I mean, Sephiroth's trailer is almost shot for shot the Sephiroth battle from Advent Children.

Sakurai went full fanboy.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
How would guys react if the trailer opened up, and you saw the Fortnite battle bus flying over the WoL map?
You know it's sad they don't even open up with that Smash Bros slash intro, like I know they want us to believe it might not be Smash Bros but I like the slash.

Anyway I don't like Fortnite dude so that would kill my hype.

SKX31

Smash Master
A fighter can have a tourney themed after any number of things. There's no reason to look at "missing themes" and say that that's what the final fighter fits.

Even if this theory did have merit, we have things like tourneys themed after characters born in the '80s-2010's, which would mean that the final character would have to be from 2020, or 2021.
Oooor... Wait a sec... that'd mean stuff from '79 and before would be eligible too...

No one would see this AT upgrade (?) coming. :4pacman:

Thoughts on Hero:
  • Gib icons.
  • Put menu above head.
Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
Buff Kaboom.

kaboom.png

:roll:

How would guys react if the trailer opened up, and you saw the Fortnite battle bus flying over the WoL map?
I'd be reacting with a "Hey, that's neat."

And then get ready for the inevitable reactions.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
the only way I’ll ever accept Fortnite is if it’s the battle bus crashing into Galeem or dharkon with the camera focusing on jonsey inside the battle bus like he’s on tv so that we don’t know the battle bus is going over the WOL

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I would unironically get really hyped

Here’s what I’ll say about Fortnite

Of course you can miss me on most of it, but getting that stupid banana would be pretty funny, ngl.
SMH my head another anime Swordfighter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom