• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylexv

Smash Master
This week's spirit event is...

GameCube spirits! After all, it turns 20 next week...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

GameCube spirits!
Please tell me F-Zero GX is referenced with the likes of Jody and Dr. Stewart or something

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Is it weird that I'm surprised they're acknowledging the Gamecube?

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman

GameCube officially deconfirmed for Nintendo Online….and Smash I guess.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
About Senran Kagura, there's a really weird dynamic between it and Dark Souls on SmashFAQS. There was a poll about "which series do you want more?", and SK almost best DS iirc. A lot of people got upset for one reason or another, and I think it's because the fanbases are total polar opposites
Are they? I thought beating the game naked was something some DS players did to challenge themselves. :4pacman:

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
They are not the final character of the biggest fighting game of all time, CP11 is.
I mean, yeah? But that doesn't mean the last character is going to be treated differently. Not saying it can't be the case. But we don't know for sure, and when things are uncertain, I prefer to stick to the logic dictated by past events. And that tells me that the last fighter is probably set to be revealed during the Nintendo Direct we're expecting for this month.

Still, I won't deny there's an option they might go with a Sakurai Presents for the reveal of the final character. That would mean the Nintendo Direct would give us the date for said Sakurai Presents. But they're not going to say "hey! We're not announcing the character today, sorry. If you wanna find out, tune in for a Sakurai Presents scheduled for... the end of October".

If the reveal for CP11 is kept until a Sakurai Presents, we're not really going to wait much more for that after the Nintendo Direct, Like, imagine the Direct takes place Wednesday 15th of this month and they announce a Sakurai Presents for the last fighter. I'm pretty sure if that happens, the Sakurai Presents would be scheduled not that many days after the Nintendo Direct.

So in the end I don't see that much of a difference. We're still getting a Sakurai Presents regardless of where they announce the character though, so if you're implying CP11 would be revealed there and not during a Nintendo Direct, and the reasoning for that is that "this is the biggest fighting game of all time", I fail to see the logic.

In fact, if CP11 was indeed Nahobino the best way to announce him would be during a Nintendo Direct. Because I'd assume boosting SMTV potential sales and all of that would be a significant part of his inclusion. Sakurai's presentations get a lot of views, that is true, but Nintendo Directs even more for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman

Okay, that's really dope. They've even got Strikers and TTYD content

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like people go full on conspiracy or doomer in regards to CP11 being a big deal and how they'll be revealed TBH.

No, they're not going to say, announce a Sakurai Presents and then make us wait until ****ing November or December.

Even in Smash 4, when they revealed Cloud and the "Final Smash Presentation", it was only a single month, and that was Smash 4, not Ultimate.

I get people are feeling on edge, but if we get Smash news, we're GETTING Smash news, not some "Check back at the end of the year" bs.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Anywho, I will now shamelessly use the booba talk from SK to link into the Phantasy Star booba talk we had a few days ago and thus plug it slightly.

Just reached the end of the vanilla PSO2 story's second chapter. Having a lot of fun, especially with Urgent Quests (the game's raids, more or less). So far I've mostly stuck with Braver and Summoner, but I intend to try out more classes in the future. Combat is really fun, even if I personally prefer NGS.

Also, damn, is it anime. Especially the character designs and mannerisms.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ah. Series is unquestionably bad then. Got it.
It would be if it wasn't a culture issue, which it is due the age of consent and whatnot in Japan being lower. That may change as I've heard about the possibility of the age of consent being increased in Japan. Although it doesn't help that there are like 12-year old anime girls with big badonkers in early anime, like that Yoko girl from that one anime.
Anywho, I will now shamelessly use the booba talk from SK to link into the Phantasy Star booba talk we had a few days ago and thus plug it slightly.

Just reached the end of the vanilla PSO2 story's second chapter. Having a lot of fun, especially with Urgent Quests (the game's raids, more or less). So far I've mostly stuck with Braver and Summoner, but I intend to try out more classes in the future. Combat is really fun, even if I personally prefer NGS.

Also, damn, is it anime. Especially the character designs and mannerisms.
Hey, Hey 3BitSaurus...The time has come. Execute Order 66.

I'm quite curious what your reaction to that moment was.

Beware for those who haven't played PSO2, actually big PSO2 spoilers.

Edit: Actually, by Chapter 2, do you actually mean Episode 2? I really hope I didn't just spoil early.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I feel like people go full on conspiracy or doomer in regards to CP11 being a big deal and how they'll be revealed TBH.

No, they're not going to say, announce a Sakurai Presents and then make us wait until ****ing November or December.

Even in Smash 4, when they revealed Cloud and the "Final Smash Presentation", it was only a single month, and that was Smash 4, not Ultimate.

I get people are feeling on edge, but if we get Smash news, we're GETTING Smash news, not some "Check back at the end of the year" bs.
I'm pretty confident the absolute worst case scenario is they announce a Sakurai Presents for like, the following week.

And even then, even with Nintendo, I can't fathom why they would even want to handle it that way when I doubt there's gonna be anything spicy in the Direct that they'd worry about self-competing with. Smash is most likely September's big news.

If we get a Direct next week, it's most likely gonna have CP11.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Although it doesn't help that there are like 12-year old anime girls with big badonkers in early anime, like that Yoko girl from that one anime.
My first thought was "Oh you mean Yoko Taro?".

After thinking about it for 2 more seconds, I realized that that is absolutely not who you were talking about.

Shroob

Sup?
It would be if it wasn't a culture issue, which it is due the age of consent and whatnot in Japan being lower. That may change as I've heard about the possibility of the age of consent being increased in Japan. Although it doesn't help that there are like 12-year old anime girls with big badonkers in early anime, like that Yoko girl from that one anime.

Edit: Actually, by Chapter 2, do you actually mean Episode 2? I really hope I didn't just spoil early.
The fact that Gurren ****ing Lagaan is considered "early anime" hurts my soul.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Plus these sorts of localizations always raise the age of the cast, in this specific case into their twenties. I honest to god couldn't give a single [EXPLETIVE] about all the fanservice (the fact that it can be toggled on and off is a good deal), I just enjoy the hack-'n'-slash gameplay and surprisingly fantastic story. But yeah, a lot of the disdain around here is completely understandable, so for that, I'm not gonna force my adoration of the games upon you all. Y'all keep rooting for the characters you want.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Plus these sorts of localizations always raise the age of the cast, in this specific case into their twenties. I honest to god couldn't give a single [EXPLETIVE] about all the fanservice (the fact that it can be toggled on and off is a good deal), I just enjoy the hack-'n'-slash gameplay and surprisingly fantastic story. But yeah, a lot of the disdain around here is completely understandable, so for that, I'm not gonna force my adoration of the games upon you all. Y'all keep rooting for the characters you want.
Well, at least we're not complaining about Fate's sexualisation again.

Wait, I jinxed it, didn't I?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Japan's age of consent is actually 18.

They just don't seem to mind sexualizing minors as much as the western world.

So it is and isn't a culture issue.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Yup, meant Episode 2. Honest mistake.

And yeah, it was one of the best plot points to me so far. Like they actually break the whole idea that ARKS is this benevolent organization, which is really interesting considering most MMOs rarely stray from the idea of "good side, bad side". And oh god, Theo's story arc, man. I LEGIT THOUGHT HE WAS A ONE-OFF NPC WHEN I FIRST SAW HIM AND ULKU. It was crazy to see that whole thing just develop in 3 exploration missions.

Makes me wonder what twists lie ahead for the Falspawn and ARKS. Oh, and "that person", too.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Well, at least we're not complaining about Fate's sexualisation again.

Wait, I jinxed it, didn't I?
I like FGO, for all intents and purposes, it has some of the best writing I've seen in a game in awhile, especially some of the more recent chapters.

Character designs though, extremely hit or miss.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The fact that Gurren ****ing Lagaan is considered "early anime" hurts my soul.
I very honestly thought Gurren Lagaan was much older, like early 2000s. I didn't know it actually first released in 2007. It's not even 15 years old yet.

Really? I could've swore the age of consent was originally 16(or worse, 14) before hearing that there was an effort to raise the age of consent to 18 or something like that.

Also, I just remembered another possible reason why most characters are younger or in high school. Because apparently, for most people/writers/authors/etc, their most memorable/happy moments was high school. But I don't know if that's actually true or not, but regardless, there are alot of mangas/animes/etc that take place in a high school setting, so of course, the characters' ages accommodate to said setting.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Also, I just remembered another possible reason why most characters are younger or in high school. Because apparently, for most people/writers/authors/etc, their most memorable/happy moments was high school. But I don't know if that's actually true or not, but regardless, there are alot of mangas/animes/etc that take place in a high school setting.
Sure would explain why Azumanga Daioh was such a fantastic show...

We've been derailing this thread for a while, haven't we?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Don't mind me, just posting beautiful nostalgia relevant to tonight's announcement.
This is where I'd counter with the Switch's startup sequence...

IF IT HAD ONE!!!

Seriously though, that click is so satisfying and takes all of 1 second, why didn't they put it at the beginning of the menu?

Even then, I wouldn't consider it 'old'. You want something old? Something like Astro Boy, or more modern, Dragon Ball(Not Z, GT or Super).
flashbacks to 2018 where the Superintendant of my school district said that the song Unwritten was before our time

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I believe it varies between prefecture but I think 13 is the age of consent for a majority of locations but only for people under the age of 18. If you're 18 or over, the other person also needs to be 18 or over to consent. Some places also have obscenity statutes that makes the defacto age of consent higher than what it is nationally.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'll be blunt.

I enjoy many games that are commonly known as booba games.

Fire Emblem Fates? Sounds like a fun time.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Yeah, I love that one.
Fighting games in general? Sign me up.

But... Senran Kagura is... a whole nother level of booba. And its creepy booba.

The other examples may have horny/degrading designs, but at least there's more to each game then that. Even Camilla has stuff you can appreciate that isn't sexual in nature. And even if you hate the idea of the sexual designs, you can largely play the game and ignore it if you wish.

But... Senran Kagura is just so in your face its.... a bit embarrassing. I believe people who say the gameplay is fun. It probably is. But... I feel too ashamed to even try it. It's probably the franchise I point to as the best example of sexualizing women in gaming. Sexualization isn't always a bad thing, but the way that franchise does it just feels... degrading and kind of off. It's not sexy at all and just kind of makes ya feel sad. And that's not even getting at the fact that they're mostly underage.

I dunno, probably gonna get some hate for this one.
I completely agree with you, honestly. I'm not a fan of Twitter puritans getting pissy over a character showing a bit of skin and/or simply being curvaceous; I think it borders on misogyny, in fact. But there's obviously a red line where it's just objectification, and I find games like Senran Kagura to just run circles back and forth across it. It doesn't feel like merely portraying the characters. It instead comes across as plain creepy.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okie-dokie, I'm ready to get the thread back on track, if anybody else is interested.

Could anybody here potentially see our last fighter being indie? Even with all the non-fighter content added?
If so my money’s on Reimu (legacy) or Gunvolt (rising star born on a Nintendo system)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Okie-dokie, I'm ready to get the thread back on track, if anybody else is interested.

Could anybody here potentially see our last fighter being indie? Even with all the non-fighter content added?
Likely a coincidence and probably not happening but Undertale's 6th anniversary is next week assuming that's when the final character is revealed.

Frisk also has purple coloring.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion

Now then, let's start with a question.

Give me Reimu or give me Death. I mean, seriously, I'd be down for another Castlevania rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom